Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Max Peck »

I might be more sympathetic to Ubisoft's woes if they hadn't been so earnestly pursuing NFT games last year. They burned off a lot of my good will with that nonsense, even if I'm still a Far Cry/Assassin's Creed/The Division/Ghost Recon/Watch Dogs fan.

Ubisoft Cancels Three Unannounced Games, Delays Skull and Bones for the Sixth Time
Ubisoft has announced that it has, for the sixth time, delayed Skull & Bones, as well as canceled three more unannounced games amid "major challenges" in the industry, the underperformance of Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope and Just Dance 2023, and an upcoming "restructuring."

In a press release today, Ubisoft outlined a new strategy for the remainder of its fiscal year, as well as lowered expectations for the last fiscal quarter. Ubisoft explains the move as a result of the company "facing major challenges as the industry continues to shift towards mega-brands and long-lasting titles than [sic] can reach players across the globe, across platforms and business models."
During an emergency investor call today, this news certainly worried some investors, who questioned what Ubisoft had remaining in the tank with all these delays and cancellations. They were reassured that for next fiscal year (the one that starts in April), Ubisoft has Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (which was already delayed once), Assassin's Creed: Mirage (revealed last September), and "other premium unannounced games, including a large one." Oh, and Skull & Bones...if it doesn't get delayed for a seventh time before then.
I'd guess the "large one" is their open-world Star Wars game. Unless it's descended into development hell, I can't imagine that they'd cancel it just to cut costs.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Damn, no Wildlands 2, no Breakpoint 2 mentioned. I really, really want a Wildlands 2. And now that they have finally straightened out Breakpoint, another one of those, please.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I need to reinstall Valhalla and give it a good going after. I quit on my first try right after I got to England. I suspect its there that it would have opened up to me but something else caught my eye or my old pc system and played better. Now I have a slightly better graphics card in the 4 gig gtx 970 instead of a 2 gig 950 that gimped out on me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Wildlands I enjoyed. Breakpoint was way, way too Ubisoft.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

The only Ubisoft games I can recall in the last many years that I buy/play are Heroes of M&M games, hasn't been one in a while. Think that ship has sunk (unless someone else gets the license and decides to give it another go).
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's why a bunch of games, including Starfield, just changed release dates on Steam
You may have noticed recently that Starfield's listed release date on Steam recently changed, from 2023—vague, but at least within a specific window—to "coming soon," which is vague and utterly without specificity. It was in fact just one of several games to have their launch dates rejiggered today: Others, visible on SteamDB, include Forspoken, Redfall , Ark 2 , and Robocop: Rogue City.

The good news is that there's nothing to worry about. Well, probably nothing, anyway. You see, back in October 2022, Valve made a change to the way it handles release dates for upcoming games. Prior to that, release dates on Steam store pages were a Wild West: Some games would list an exact date, others would have something more ballpark—a month and year, maybe—and still others would drop in joke text, like "when it's done."

"Our current hodge-podge of coming soon displays leaves a lot to be desired," Valve wrote at the time. "Some information can be missing or incomplete. Worst of all, the custom text field we used to provide has no localization support, which creates a confusing and inconsistent experience for players across the globe. One-off jokes or references don’t translate, and date descriptions vary from place to place. For instance, take the string 5/8/2023 ...is that May 8th, or August 5th? Depends on what country you live in!"

To address those shortcomings, Valve introduced five options developers could select from and switch between, with a "localized and regionally-familiar presentation" for each:
• The exact date. “Aug 24, 2023”
• Month-and-year. “August 2023”
• The quarter of the calendar year. “Q3 2023”
• The year. "2023"
• No date at all. “Coming Soon”

To handle how those dates appear in lists of upcoming games, non-specific launch targets are listed at the last possible date in their time range. So, for instance, if your game is slated for Q1 2023, it will be sorted as though the release date is March 31; if it's simply 2023, Steam will treat it as though the release date is December 31. Essentially, it's an automated placeholder date. And if there's no date at all, it'll appear after all other games that do have a specific date or launch target.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I got this free game a while back. The DLCs all cost money. Anyrate it's 1.6 gig long. Every time it adds an improvement I have to download 1.6 gig patch and it does it a lot. Early access of course. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

After twenty years in development, FreeCol is now finally released at 1.0.0
FreeCol is a turn-based strategy game based on the old game Colonization, and similar to Civilization. The objective of the game is to create an independent nation. You start with only a few colonists defying the stormy seas in their search for new land. Will you guide them on the Colonization of a New World?
A look at FreeCol from a fan
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ima just sayin... there will never be another "Sid Meier's Colonization" ever again
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I still fire up Civ 4: Colonization every year or two. I really like it, but it sure can be frustrating. I think I've only won once in all the times I played it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im one of those rare folks that didn't like it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sierra's classic city builder returns next month with Pharaoh: A New Era
Those of us of a certain age—or with a certain impeccable taste—will be interested to hear that Pharaoh: A New Era has finally gotten a release date. A remake of Sierra's 1999 city-builder Pharaoh (and its expansion Cleopatra: Queen of the Nile), the game promises a slick and prettied-up new version of the old classic when it releases on February 15.

The remake boasts over 50 playable missions, 100 hours of gameplay, and 4000 years of Egyptian history, alongside all the usual bells and whistles like 4K resolutions and a UI parseable by mortal eyes. The devs at Triskell have even taken the original soundtrack and rearranged it with "traditional oriental instruments". It's the same old Pharaoh gameplay, though: You'll have to juggle all sorts of weighty responsibilities to make sure your city doesn't crumble into the sand dunes, like "the economy, internal and external trade, culture, health, agriculture, education," plus the flooding of the Nile and the literal Plagues of Egypt.

So it can be pretty tough, which is only in keeping with the spirit of the original. When Lorna Reid dove back into the original Pharaoh for PCG, she remarked that "Quaint and lovely though it looks, when you shove the lid off the game’s sarcophagus, you’ll find it has a nastier streak than Imhotep," ready to "devour your time and stretch your patience to breaking point". Sign me up.

For those without a masochistic streak, though, there's a free build mode, and the option to turn off predators and other unpleasant things that might hamper your empire-building. A bit more relaxing, but I reckon it lacks the frisson generated by the constant threat of your city catching fire.

If the thought of either a trial by Biblical fire or a sedate, Egyptian Cities: Skylines appeals, you can keep an eye on Pharaoh: A New Era over on Steam.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not a fan of games where you lead a family and leaders die and you have to birth new ones or so in so.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I don't think I ever played the original Pharoah, but I might be interested in this one.

But...I have one question. Why have they rearranged it with "traditional oriental instruments"? Egypt is not in the Orient. :?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Fardaza wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:52 pm But...I have one question. Why have they rearranged it with "traditional oriental instruments"? Egypt is not in the Orient. :?
Actually Egypt was the original Orient.
In European historiography, the meaning of "the Orient" changed in scope several times. Originally, the term referred to Egypt, the Levant, and adjoining areas as far west as Morocco.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have Persona 5. It didn’t really grab me, but I’ve heard the quality of life improvements they made in the “Royal” version helped quite a bit with some of the things that I struggled with.

If I want to try P5 Royal, I have to buy the entire game over again. The full $60. There is no upgrade path, even though it’s a slightly different version on the exact same system.

That annoys me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or you could buy it on Steam right now for $42.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:13 pm Or you could buy it on Steam right now for $42.
Then I would have to game on my PC, which is pretty much a no-go these days.

When I spend 12-14 hour workdays sitting at my desk, the last thing I want to do is...sit at it even more to play games. And there's really nowhere else in the house to set up my PC without doing to significant rearranging of rooms.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone elses SteamChat broken? I cant send msgs to my friend in England. Usually it tells me when its disconnected or something but this time its just a chat failure to send msg error in all red letters inside SteamChat.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isn't Tuesday their maintenance day? Maybe it was offline for a bit due to that?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not sure never saw that error before. My friend got the msgs anyways even though it told me he didn't as he responded to them. He said he has gotten those a few times too.. New to me.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This looks to be a long way out, but the premise sounds interesting.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Damn, I just was thinking about designing a "retro futuristic western game with a storyline set in a post-apocalyptic alternate timeline" but someone beat me to it :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Neat.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Urban Strife has a demo up for Steam's NextFest. From a dev comment in the Steam forums, it sounds like the demo will continue to be available for a short while after NextFest ends.
USG_Omucupixu [developer] 7 Feb @ 7:27am

This demo will stay up for a couple of weeks at least so no, it won't vanish after February 12th.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:35 pm Urban Strife has a demo up for Steam's NextFest. From a dev comment in the Steam forums, it sounds like the demo will continue to be available for a short while after NextFest ends.
USG_Omucupixu [developer] 7 Feb @ 7:27am

This demo will stay up for a couple of weeks at least so no, it won't vanish after February 12th.
Thanks for posting about this. While I would never use my play on a demo to commit to buying a game, it might indicate that this is something I don't care about.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Since they don't even have a release window yet, I expect there is plenty of time remaining before anyone needs to concern themselves about not buying the game.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:30 pm Since they don't even have a release window yet, I expect there is plenty of time remaining before anyone needs to concern themselves about not buying the game.
Sure, I just meant that I'd find out of the style of play is something I would enjoy.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Heh, me too. I just need to remember to try out the demo before they pull it. I got caught out on a NextFest last year, downloaded 3 or 4 demos, and then forgot about them until after they expired. :doh:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Opinion: State of Decay 2 vs Mechwarrior 5.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:19 am Opinion: State of Decay 2 vs Mechwarrior 5.
A couple of disappointing sequels to great games? Really hard to compare and contrast as they are wildly different kinds of games and what works best for you will depend on your personal preferences. Maybe I am just jaded.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes your gamer card needs to reflect 'jaded' upon it :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I was obsessed with Hardwar back when it was shiny and new, a quarter century ago.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:32 pm I was obsessed with Hardwar back when it was shiny and new, a quarter century ago.
They are reissuing it with the old graphics?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:47 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:32 pm I was obsessed with Hardwar back when it was shiny and new, a quarter century ago.
They are reissuing it with the old graphics?
I don't know what they've done to update it, aside from getting it running on modern PCs.

Apparently it was originally re-released on "Zoom Platform" back in 2021.
Sep 17, 2021 at 1:57am

Hello there Hardwar enthusiasts,

Great to e-meet you! My name is Jordan Freeman, and I am CEO at ZOOM-Platform.com. In a little over an hour, we, along with our partners Funbox Media, are officially and exclusively re-releasing Hardwar: www.zoom-platform.com/product/hardwar

The game is updated to run smoothly on modern PC's and has been upgraded to have full lossless CD Audio support (unlike the DotEmu version).

The English version will go live tonight. French and German versions are in-progress!

Here is the video trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3E0MOhse74

Should you have any questions or comments, please come join our Discord: discord.gg/zagEsVTCFP

I'm @zoom_Jordan there and will be available. My best and have a great weekend, my fellow operatives!

P.S. Here is the press release: icrowdnewswire.com/2021/09/17/funbox-media-and-jordan-freeman-group-announce-hardwar-a-zoom-platform-exclusive-game/

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I remember playing that a little, but never got very far.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Was looking for a deal on Midnight Suns and logged into Isthereanydeal.com a little bit ago. Imagine my surprise when the first thing that popped up for me (unfortunate phrasing) was Hitler: BDSM on Steam. My immediate thought was "when did I add THAT to my wishlist" but thankfully it was just near the top of the daily deals on the front page.

Still, I highly recommend NOT searching for the game on Steam. If you do, make sure your family is nowhere nearby or you will be getting a restraining order.

p.s. I also learned there's an entire subgenre of erotica games based on Hitler on Steam. A fact that I wish I was not aware of. :cry:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:50 pm Was looking for a deal on Midnight Suns
In an effort to scrub the rest of your post from my brain, it's on sale at Green Man Gaming for $31. :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

yeah, that's where I grabbed it from after a quick call to my therapist.
Covfefe!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

won (at least) 10 games of all the solitaire variants in Zachtronics Solitaire Collection and got the achievements for doing so, so that means i know how to play them all and win on a fairly consistent basis. i will probably shelve this one for now at ~38 hours played with getting my money's worth out of it, as i don't think i'll go for all the '100 games won' for each....

i can recommend this, if card sorting is your thing - the variants are interesting. Fortune's Foundation (the exclusive variant for this collection) is pretty entertaining, even if the deck shuffling is rigged. (and it has to be, otherwise you'd almost never win it)

also found the least popular one - Cribbage Solitaire, where only 10% of players have won 10 games. at least i know 'cribbage scoring' now