[Trailer] The King of Kong

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Freezer-TPF-

Re: [Trailer] The King of Kong

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

And the universe is back in balance.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

good for him. if you watch the movie, he really does come across as a decent guy.

of course, they could be manipulating facts...
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This movie truly is the gift that keeps on giving. I can't believe I'd never heard of any of this prior to watching the movie. Just awesome.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
CGMark

Post by CGMark »

just watched king of kong. sort of a boring movie, but interesting none the less. Just the other day it seems, ( the 10th I think it was) someone broke the record last name was Chien, I think it was.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The hunt for the perfect game of Kong (King of Kong aftermath):
While “Donkey Kong” is a relatively simple game of running and jumping (and occasionally smashing) whose board layouts start to repeat after level four, there’s no fixed number of points you can score in a game; a random number generator determines the value of many of the prizes you encounter and the path some of the obstacles take. But the game does crap out due to a malfunction on the start of level 22 — the infamous kill screen — making it possible to figure out the maximum number of points possible. Young has calculated that a player using optimal strategy and getting as many lucky breaks as possible would score 1,265,000 points. Saglio is 95.4 percent of the way there...

...Now, anyone who wants to be competitive for the record has to be embedded in Donkey Kong Forum, or else they won’t learn the point-grinding strategies needed to chase glory. Saglio points out that Wiebe still is interested in the game and plays regularly but has handicapped himself by never getting involved with the community. “He fell behind,” Saglio said. “He’s no longer capable of challenging for the record.”...

...Now, when Saglio plays — often late at night, when his wife and two young kids are asleep — he’s often joined by five to 10 other Donkey Kong Forum members who watch him play on game live-streaming service Twitch ...

...Despite his high score, Saglio is not considered the current “Donkey Kong” record holder, at least as far as gaming arbiter Twin Galaxies is concerned....

...Even though he’d have to successfully smash another 96 barrels to surpass Saglio’s score, Lakeman earned his record on an actual arcade cabinet, not an emulator,1 and thus his score is considered to be most legit. (It was the same machine Wiebe played in “The King of Kong.”) Although the software is identical in the emulator and the arcade, a keyboard is considered slightly more responsive than a joystick, and being able to sit in a comfy chair for the three-plus hours it takes to play a complete game on an emulator is considered easier than leaning over from a stool at an arcade. By studying the moves that emulator users are able to make that cabinet users can’t, Cunningham estimates that a keyboard gives Saglio about 10,000 extra points a game.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In headlines I thought I'd never see: Former Donkey Kong record holders cartoon lawsuit tossed:
New Jersey Federal District Judge Anne Thompson threw out Billy Mitchell's lawsuit against the Cartoon Network on Friday, ruling that the "Regular Show" exaggerated his traits to make the character "cartoonishly evil" and that the show is protected by the First Amendment.

"The television character does not match the plaintiff in appearance: GBF appears as a non-human creature, a giant floating head with no body from outer space, while Plaintiff is a human being," Thompson wrote. "And when GBF loses his title, the character literally explodes, unlike Plaintiff."
Still loved this movie.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Doesn't suing the Cartoon Network kind of prove that you are, in fact, evil? :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Billy Mitchell hit with high score fraud allegation:
Just days after video game high score champ Todd Rogers was stripped of his Dragster title for mathematically impossible times, the man who was the Donkey Kong king for almost 20 years has also come under scrutiny. Billy Mitchell's 2010 high score for Donkey Kong has been called into question on a Twin Galaxies dispute forum by Jeremy Young, the moderator of Donkey Kong Forum (DKF). Young has presented a wealth of evidence to show that Mitchell's performance was likely faked, and has thus removed the high score from DKF's leaderboard.

The issue is convoluted, though laid out with precision by Young in his explanatory post, which is accompanied by dozens of GIFs. "In summary," Young wrote, "these GIFs show that each of the Donkey Kong world record direct feed recordings presented by Billy Mitchell and verified by [Twin Galaxies] were generated in MAME and not by original Donkey Kong hardware."

According to Young, Mitchell claimed that the footage of his record-setting score was taken directly from the feed off a Donkey Kong arcade board. The investigation and analysis of comparable arcade feeds and MAME videos, specifically by a technically-inclined forum community member named Sock_Master, seem to show that Mitchell's footage comes from MAME, the open-source software that emulates arcade boards.
Jag

Post by Jag »

A few years ago my son was talking to a kid in his school who told him his dad plays video games for a living. My son thought he was kidding but thought it funny and mentioned it to me. I asked him the kid's last name and it was Mitchell. I told him that his friend was the son of the King of Kong. :D
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

#HimToo
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Banned for life:
Based on the complete body of evidence presented in this official dispute thread, Twin Galaxies administrative staff has unanimously decided to remove all of Billy Mitchell's scores as well as ban him from participating in our competitive leaderboards.

We have notified Guinness World Records of our decision.

With this ruling Twin Galaxies can no longer recognize Billy Mitchell as the 1st million point Donkey Kong record holder. According to our findings, Steve Wiebe would be the official 1st million point record holder.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

good riddance to a loser.

Steve is a nice guy so its only fitting he becomes king.

Wonder what the dick will do now as his whole money thing is being King of Kong related.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

being a believer of Karma, that bastard gets what he deserves.

that asshole treated people like shit for years and I hope he can't sleep at night for the rest of his life

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But man, that glorious mane of 70s hair sure will be missed...
He won. Period.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

lol, true

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enlarge Image

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Why such hatred for Mitchell? I watched King of Kong and my take on him was that the movie needed a bad guy and Mitchell was filmed to be that guy, with the appropriate goons and all.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You get a layered cut anytime after 1997 and you're evil. I mean, how hard is that to understand, McNutt?
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The update you were waiting for:
Billy Mitchell, a pro gamer best known for making the numbers on an arcade machine get really big, is going to court. As spotted by Axios’ Stephen Totilo, a U.S. appeals court gave the green light yesterday for Mitchell to proceed with a defamation suit against Twin Galaxies, the popular gaming leaderboard site.

Record keepers, including Twin Galaxies and Guinness World Records, affirmed Mitchell’s accolades. But evidence emerged that he may have used emulation devices—specifically, M.A.M.E. (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)—to achieve his scores, rather than the authentic arcade circuit boards that are required for competitive play. Guinness stripped his records in 2018, but un-stripped them last year. Twin Galaxies, meanwhile, which stripped the records as well, has yet to reinstate them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is the thread that keeps on giving as new evidence for cheating emerges:
Over the years, King of Kong star Billy Mitchell has seen his world-record Donkey Kong scores stripped, partially reinstated, and endlessly litigated, both in actual court and the court of public opinion. Through it all, Mitchell has insisted that every one of his records was set on unmodified Donkey Kong arcade hardware, despite some convincing technical evidence to the contrary.

Now, new photos from a 2007 performance by Mitchell seem to show obvious modifications to the machine used to earn at least one of those scores, a fascinating new piece of evidence in the long, contentious battle over Mitchell's place in Donkey Kong score-chasing history.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Billy Mitchell is the man you love to hate. He's like a textbook bad guy and I can't get enough of him.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And yet in the very end it doesn't really matter and no really cared lol.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm with Daehawk. It's like someone comes rushing up to me, out of breath and frantic, and proceeds to tell me that they're releasing shoe laces in off white now.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

McNutt wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:06 pm Billy Mitchell is the man you love to hate. He's like a textbook bad guy and I can't get enough of him.
He looks like the Japanese impression of a white villain in an anime. Even his generic name.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:53 pm I'm with Daehawk. It's like someone comes rushing up to me, out of breath and frantic, and proceeds to tell me that they're releasing shoe laces in off white now.
Your love of his hair is blinding you to what he's done here. There are rules.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:25 pm
McNutt wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:06 pm Billy Mitchell is the man you love to hate. He's like a textbook bad guy and I can't get enough of him.
He looks like the Japanese impression of a white villain in an anime. Even his generic name.
ok i laughed
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:54 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:53 pm I'm with Daehawk. It's like someone comes rushing up to me, out of breath and frantic, and proceeds to tell me that they're releasing shoe laces in off white now.
Your love of his hair is blinding you to what he's done here. There are rules.
He looks like he produces more oil than OPEC.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

In King of Kong he had his goons bully their way past his competition's mom to examine his machine in an attempt to discredit him.

I repeat, Billy Mitchell actually has goons.

He also exposed a cheater, took him under his wing, and made him cry for joy at the idea of being his friend.

What more do you want from a villain?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

McNutt wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:45 pm In King of Kong he had his goons bully their way past his competition's mom to examine his machine in an attempt to discredit him.

He also exposed a cheater, took him under his wing, and made him cry for joy at the idea of being his friend.

A loftier aspiration than domineering Donkey Kong…?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McNutt wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:45 pm In King of Kong he had his goons bully their way past his competition's mom to examine his machine in an attempt to discredit him.

Not gonna lie…having a pack of mom-bullying goons is a good start.

LMK when they start pushing old ladies down.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Notorious arcade gamer Billy Mitchell settles suit over Donkey Kong world record
Competitive arcade gamer Billy Mitchell, known for his high scores on Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, has reached a confidential settlement in his defamation lawsuit against Twin Galaxies, the video game database that stripped Mitchell of his world records in 2018.

The settlement was announced in LA County Superior Court on Thursday morning — three months before the lawsuit was set to go to trial — during a hearing to determine whether Mitchell and an attorney for Twin Galaxies would face sanctions for misconduct during discovery.
The terms of the settlement have not been made public.
Twin Galaxies accused Mitchell of "deliberate and egregious discovery abuse throughout the course of this litigation by lying at deposition and by engaging in the spoliation of evidence with the intent to defraud the Court." The company asked the judge to impose monetary sanctions on Mitchell.
But Twin Galaxies' own lawyer, David Tashroudian, faced misconduct claims of his own after he improperly contacted two witnesses in the case — prompting Superior Court Judge Wendy Chang, who's overseeing the case, to consider referring him to the State Bar for discipline.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All that over an arcade game I played as a kid and didn't even find all that good. It matters not a thing.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

To us it doesn't matter, but his livelihood hinges upon that record.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Sounds like it's time for a sequel!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:53 pm It matters not a thing.
When did an old British nanny hack Daehawk’s account?