[PS4/5] God of war: Ragnarok - 11/9/2022

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

disarm

Re: [PS4/5] God of war: Ragnarok - 11/9/2022

Post by disarm »

hepcat wrote:Looks like Gamestops have a lot of the GoW:R bundles (both digital and disc) right now. I was just looking online on a lark and noticed a dozen at the Gamestop near me. Just ran down and grabbed the disc version as I've been sitting on about 200 bucks in trade credit from when I traded in my old xbox one x. Set up was surprisingly fast, and the download for GoW:R finished in record time. Going to play a bit tonight.
I've been keeping an eye out for an available PS5 now that this game is available, requested an "Invitation" to buy the GoW bundle through Amazon last night, and just received an email saying that I have one available to purchase for the next 72 hours. Now I have to decide if I really want to pull the trigger. If so, it will be delivered by Wednesday.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

disarm wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:33 am
hepcat wrote:Looks like Gamestops have a lot of the GoW:R bundles (both digital and disc) right now. I was just looking online on a lark and noticed a dozen at the Gamestop near me. Just ran down and grabbed the disc version as I've been sitting on about 200 bucks in trade credit from when I traded in my old xbox one x. Set up was surprisingly fast, and the download for GoW:R finished in record time. Going to play a bit tonight.
I've been keeping an eye out for an available PS5 now that this game is available, requested an "Invitation" to buy the GoW bundle through Amazon last night, and just received an email saying that I have one available to purchase for the next 72 hours. Now I have to decide if I really want to pull the trigger. If so, it will be delivered by Wednesday.
Yes you do.
FTE
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scraper wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:37 am I'm about 16 hours in now and this game is excellent. It's 2018 GoW polished up in every aspect (Storytelling, graphics, combat, exploration, skills, gear, etc.) and it will be my game of the year no doubt. I could see myself going for the Platinum on this one which is something I've never done in a GoW game, but I will want to squeeze everything I can out of this game before I move on.
The 2018 GOW is the one and only PS game I got a platinum trophy on. That was a lot of grinding, but so so worth it.
Hodor.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Scraper wrote:
Yes you do.
I did... but not before the delivery date slipped to Friday. Will still be here for the weekend though!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Word of advice if you’re planning on playing games you had on the ps4 with cloud save backups: do NOT start any games until you’ve gone into settings and downloaded all the required ps4 cloud saves to your console. Otherwise, the first time you start a game, it will overwrite your save in the cloud.
He won. Period.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Well that's a pretty shitty thing to do... hopefully not something that you fell victim to in too severe a way. Thanks for the warning.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Seems like something relatively easy they could fix by having it check to see if you have saves in the cloud and ask you if you want to use it with your new game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

disarm wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:17 pm Well that's a pretty shitty thing to do... hopefully not something that you fell victim to in too severe a way. Thanks for the warning.
It caught me on one game. Then I read up on it. But I still have my ps4, so I deleted the new save game and I’ll reupload my Bloodborne save from the old ps4 this weekend and that should fix it up.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

disarm wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:41 pm
Scraper wrote:
Yes you do.
I did... but not before the delivery date slipped to Friday. Will still be here for the weekend though!
You won't regret it, the PS5 is a wonderful machine and Sony is knocking it out of the park with their exclusives.
FTE
disarm

Post by disarm »

My Xbox Series X and GamePass are tough competition...will see how it goes...
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

disarm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:39 am My Xbox Series X and GamePass are tough competition...will see how it goes...
I have both a series x with gamepass and a PS5 with premium plus. They're both good. The PS5 exclusives are far superior. Bethesda helps to even it out but they can't do it alone.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've been getting more and more disappointed with the gamepass stuff. It was strong for a while and it seemed like a no brainer, but the last 6 months or so have seen some pretty mediocre/low budget releases replacing the AAA stuff that was initially showing up. I just dropped down from the ultimate tier to the console gamepass only, then bought a year of the PS Extra service for 99.99.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:49 am I've been getting more and more disappointed with the gamepass stuff. It was strong for a while and it seemed like a no brainer, but the last 6 months or so have seen some pretty mediocre/low budget releases replacing the AAA stuff that was initially showing up. I just dropped down from the ultimate tier to the console gamepass only, then bought a year of the PS Extra service for 99.99.
The problem is that Microsoft hasn't released a AAA exclusive since Halo. Which was last year. And realistically the only other one they have released in the past 18 months is Horizon 5.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Are they relegated to only having their own games on gamepass? I thought they were working with other studios as well?
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:12 am Are they relegated to only having their own games on gamepass? I thought they were working with other studios as well?
No they have other games on there, but my point was that one of the things that makes Gamepass so great is that Microsoft releases all of their games on it day 1, but they haven't had any AAA first party games to release on it for 11 months now. Heck even Phil Spencer admits that it's been a problem.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, got it.

I would be happy if they had more releases like Sniper 5. That's not a big name, but at least it's not another 2D platformer or puzzle game.

Getting the playstation extra subscription made sense for me as there were at least 4 games I wanted to really play that would have cost me almost twice that to just purchase.

But at almost twice the cost of the ps extra subscription, the ultimate tier for gamepass just doesn't cut it anymore. Which is a shame as it was pretty great for a while.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Gamepass has certainly taken a huge dive as of late. Playstation had some cool stuff in the initial relaunch, but have failed to add anything to the highest tier that is impressive. I kind of figured this is what would happen. It would be good for a while, they realize how expensive it is and the quality drops off. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:I just dropped down from the ultimate tier to the console gamepass only, then bought a year of the PS Extra service for 99.99.
I'm planning on doing the same. I have to have the console GamePass for my son, but I'm not getting the value out of the PC side. Part of that is the game quality, and another part of it is that I've just been steadily gravitating towards console play for everything as my PC ages out.

I'm even a bit on the fence with PS Extra. I have gotten some value out of it with a handful of big titles, but I tend to stick with one game so long on that console now that I'm finding it harder to justify. I think I'd probably be content to just wait and grab games on sale down the road.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Back on topic. I'm about 25 hours into this game now and it just keeps getting better. I would guess I'm just a bit past half way done with the main story. I keep getting side tracked by exploration and all the side missions so i think it's taking me longer than an average playthrough.

They eventually add a third weapon for Kratos which I really like because it plays so much different than the other 2 weapons.
Last edited by Scraper on Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yep sorry, didn't realize I was in a God of War thread talking about GamePass. To steer things back:

I've been playing the 2018 God of War and only a few hours in. I'm a bit on the fence, because I've been playing so many open world games recently that I'm REALLY feeling the "on rails" syndrome. That would probably be OK if there weren't collectibles/upgrades, but with those in the mix I feel like I both A) need to explore and B) don't have the freedom to do so. The feel of missing something is stressing me out.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:34 pm Yep sorry, didn't realize I was in a God of War thread talking about GamePass. To steer things back:

I've been playing the 2018 God of War and only a few hours in. I'm a bit on the fence, because I've been playing so many open world games recently that I'm REALLY feeling the "on rails" syndrome. That would probably be OK if there weren't collectibles/upgrades, but with those in the mix I feel like I both A) need to explore and B) don't have the freedom to do so. The feel of missing something is stressing me out.
GoW 2018 is kind of open world, but not like Tsushima or Horizon. The game will actually tell you when to go and explore. The NPC will say something like "hey we could go and advance the main story, BUT you might also want to look around this cool lake". So you'll have a clue when to go and explore. Also, you can't miss anything in the game, backtracking becomes available and will be necessary if you want to fully explore. So in other words play the game, enjoy it, and when it's obvious go explore.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:34 pm That would probably be OK if there weren't collectibles/upgrades, but with those in the mix I feel like I both A) need to explore and B) don't have the freedom to do so. The feel of missing something is stressing me out.
One of the things that really breaks the immersion for me in both the first game and Ragnarok is that while there will be all sorts of miscellaneous items strewn about every level (barrels, furniture, plants, gravestones, etc.) and it all looks amazing, but swinging your axe shatters some of them to pieces and simply passes right through others.

Also, flinging yourself with wild abandon across a 10 foot chasm...then not being able to progress over the 6 inch obstacle sitting on the floor. :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Scraper wrote:So in other words play the game, enjoy it, and when it's obvious go explore.
Thanks, Scraper. I was hoping that was the case. I'll keep on truckin'!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

“I’ve played for nearly 14 hours now and feel like the story is really coming to a head. The gameplay is all starting to feel a bit samey, but I’ve come this far so I’d like to finish it.”

(Checks walkthrough)

“I’m only in chapter 6…out of 18? Yeah, I’m never gonna finish this game.”
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:50 am “I’ve played for nearly 14 hours now and feel like the story is really coming to a head. The gameplay is all starting to feel a bit samey, but I’ve come this far so I’d like to finish it.”

(Checks walkthrough)

Ragnarok is long for a game of this type. I'm about 30 hours in now and I honestly don't want the story to end, so for me the length is a good thing.
FTE
disarm

Post by disarm »

PS5 GoW bundle delivered today courtesy of Amazon...will probably take my first shot at GoW: Ragnarok tomorrow!

First impressions? The consoles is almost comically massive, and the DualSense controller is really cool.

Last edited by disarm on Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You should play Astro's Playroom
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

disarm wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:46 pm The consoles is almost comicality massive
That was my first thought as well.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Isgrimnur wrote:You should play Astro's Playroom
I've played through one area of the Playroom so far... pretty cool way to demo the hardware, and much more fun as an actual 'game' than I expected.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:19 pm
disarm wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:46 pm The consoles is almost comicality massive
That was my first thought as well.
Ditto. It surprised me when I pulled it out of the box. I expected it to be about the same size as my Xbox series X.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finished up the main story on this at 40 hours of game time. It was excellent all the way through and the ending is not a let down. I still have several trophies to go after if I want the platinum. I think I will take a crack at getting it but I don't know if I'll be able to beat all of the Mispelheim challenges and some of the Berserkers are really hard too.

Just like the 2018 version this one lets you go back into the game world after the end and finish anything you missed during the story, so don't worry about missing things on your first playthrough. In fact after the main game it adds even more things to do and people to kill.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it up just before dinner, got the platinum. I did lower the difficulty to story, after finishing the story, oddly, for two enemies, the berserker king and valkyrie queen. I gave the berserker king several tries and never got him below around 70% on balance.

Loved it 100% of the way. I wish I had noticed 40 hours earlier there was a setting to swap the dodge and interact buttons. I died so many times from hitting the wrong button to dodge.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I got the platinum as well over the weekend and I also had to drop the difficulty down to Story for the Valkyrie Queen and the Berserker King. Even at that setting it took me several tries to beat both of them. I guess that's why they're optional boss fights.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was about 3 hours into the game when Ghost of Tsushima took over my life. :oops:

But I'll return as soon as I've put those damn Mongols in their place.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

After finishing the game I received an email from PlayStation congratulating me. That was unexpected. It says I played 104 hours, got 24 trophies, and need 12 more to unlock the Platinum. Yeah, I think I'm good.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaymann wrote:After finishing the game I received an email from PlayStation congratulating me. That was unexpected. It says I played 104 hours, got 24 trophies, and need 12 more to unlock the Platinum. Yeah, I think I'm good.
I just got the same one for finishing Astros Playroom. It only took 2 hours to beat that game though. Image
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Scraper wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:54 am
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:50 am “I’ve played for nearly 14 hours now and feel like the story is really coming to a head. The gameplay is all starting to feel a bit samey, but I’ve come this far so I’d like to finish it.”

(Checks walkthrough)

Ragnarok is long for a game of this type. I'm about 30 hours in now and I honestly don't want the story to end, so for me the length is a good thing.
Same here. I’m getting psyched to play Hogwarts Legacy and was hoping to finish up GoW. Thought I was getting near the homestretch. Nope. I’m also 6/18 done!

I’m thinking if I really grind, I may be able to power my way through it by Friday when Hogwarts releases. Gonna have to curb my OCD completionist tendencies though.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I just started Ragnarok. It feels very much like the same exact game from 2018's God of War. The story even opens in a very similar fashion.

Like the last game, this version didn't hook me right away. I find the opening cinematic and action set pieces to be boring. But I ended up loving the last game once I got a few hours into it, and I'm expecting more of the same here.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

msteelers wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:54 pm I just started Ragnarok. It feels very much like the same exact game from 2018's God of War. The story even opens in a very similar fashion.

Like the last game, this version didn't hook me right away. I find the opening cinematic and action set pieces to be boring. But I ended up loving the last game once I got a few hours into it, and I'm expecting more of the same here.
It's very much like 2018, but better in almost every way.
FTE
disarm

Post by disarm »

I finally completed the main story of this today...another amazing GoW from start to finish. Everything about this one was damn near perfect, from the combat, to the overall pacing and engrossing, emotional story. I'm working my way through the post-game content now and find myself really hoping this isn't the end. I've put 70 hours into the game and all I really want right now is more. I'm not really sure where they would go next though.

One little spoiler comment about Brok's riddle to Mimir for those who have finished...
Spoiler:
The way that Mimir finally learned the answer to the riddle (A hole gets bigger as you take more away) after seeing Sindri at Brok's funeral was brilliant and quite possibly my single most favorite part of storytelling in the game. I totally didn't see that coming and the way they played the long game to include it as an emotional stinger at the end was fantastic.