[Replay] Starfleet Command (1)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

[Replay] Starfleet Command (1)

Post by Kasey Chang »

I just reinstalled Starfleet Command. I'm going to play normally with HD mod that enabled 1920x1080. Later I'll add the "All-in-one" mod with Movie and TNG ships. It's been a long time since I've touched that thing. I played SFB from way back when. I had the commander's and captain's edition. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Zenn7

Re: [Replay] Starfleet Command (1)

Post by Zenn7 »

I bought this again when it came out on GOG. Played through the campaign as Klingons (for some reason, I tend to prefer them).

Bought SFC3 when it came out on GOG. Never played that one. Did not enjoy it. A few attempts, it feels like it takes FOREVER to kill enemies. Felt like trying to use the firepower of a frigate to take out a battleship in SFC1/2. Couldn't enjoy that.

Tried to get SFC2/OP from dynaverse, but although I signed up, they never sent me the official invite.

So, reinstalled from disk and downloaded the lastest patch from Dynaverse. Playing a Klingon campaign periodically. Not pushing hard, but having fun with it. Slowly working my way into Federation space.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

One of my favorite game franchises. I enjoyed all the games, although the first too tended to be buggy (at least, IIRC, at the campaign level, the actual ship to ship combats were fine. The third one added more of a narrative element and wasn't buggy and moved things to the TNG era, but simplified the combat (still enjoyable, but not as many options, IIRC) and the game was linear (removing the campaign portion that, as I said, was always somewhat buggy).

It's a shame that Klingon Academy hasn't gotten a release from GOG. It had a first person (err first ship?) perspective rather than a third person perspective although the ships still acted like capital ships, and it had a great storyline with FMV videos with Christopher Plumer as the Klingon from Star Trek 6.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

IIRC, Klingon Academy was even buggier than Starfleet Academy. I remember getting a pirated version to run, for about 5 minutes, and only after much anguish.

SFC3 did give you the customization options, but they screwed up the arcs and design limits. Sovereign-class actually had more weapons pointing to the rear than to the front. And you can create "speedboats" ships that will go speed 40+ and have no heavy weapons, just phasers, making them practically invincible since they are so fast and they can field so much ECM and shield reinforcement they are practically invincible since phasers are the most "energy efficient" weapons in the game.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish both of those Academy games had worked better . They held so much promise in them. I own them both. Played them both. Got more out of Klingon Academy. Never got close to actually completing either one of them. Shame. Wasted talent.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Defiant wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:52 pm
Christopher Plumer as the Klingon from Star Trek 6.
General Chang. I know. :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Seven Videos of SFC uploaded so far, they are all like 20 some minutes long. Battles in SFC tend to be quick. But due to backlogged content, you won't see them until... February 7th. :)

I have videos scheduled all the way to April. :D

Here's a little teaser:

Enlarge Image
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I don't remember any significant bugs in KA, although it's been a long time since I played it. Maybe I played a different revision.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Welp, just finished the Federation Campaign. It was... most exciting than I remembered. Though my own FAQ was mostly correct about the missions.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Interesting. I'm mostly through the Klingon Campaign. I think there are two major missions left. That would leave me 1 video per day all the way through early April. I guess it's time to play the Romulans and everyone else, didn't recall doing that before. I think I just played the Feds and shelved the game.

EDIT: The Klingon Campaign is still going. So much I ran out of Cold Waters videos. :D But I have one video per day until early April. So plenty of time to make more videos. I think I will revisit the UK 1984 campaign, as well as continue the Starfleet Command campaign and finish the campaign as the other races, or at least, as the Romulans.

EDIT: Completed the Klingon Campaign. Now I have to fix mistakes in my own guide. :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Should I play the Romulans, Gorn, Hydran, or Lyran next?

And I need to add some more Cold Waters videos too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Play the Pakled.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:44 am Should I play the Romulans, Gorn, Hydran, or Lyran next?

And I need to add some more Cold Waters videos too.
Gorn. They always struck me as kind of boring (even in the tabletop game). Solid ships/weapons, just seem boring for some reason. Romulans have cloaking to make them more interesting.

Liked Klingons, Hydrans and Kzinti (Mirak) better. Fighters, missiles (or hydran racial weapons), just felt more interesting.

Though missiles/fighters in the PC game are far less interesting after you get a ship with ADD. Fought a fight w/ my friend taking Hydran and me Klingon. He planned to maul me with fighters. My ADD made short work of them. His ship was no match once those were slaughtered.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

No Mirak / Kzinti in SFC1, copyright issues. Lyran with their ESG is interesting.

I think I'll play the Gorn too. Their ships are solidly built, lots of marines, and excellent firing arcs, and no cloak to worry about to drain your power. But being a plasma player in SFB/SFC is a tricky affair, since what you end up doing against a GOOD player is known as "plasma bids" because you can fire pseudo-torps in SFC as well. Most noobs in SFB/SFC don't use pseudotorps as they just see a fire button and they want to mash it. So what happens you have a slow game where the plasma user keep firing torpedoes one at a time (bidding up), except you don't know which is real and which is fake until the other player blinks and fires a sensor decoy (wild weasel in SFB) THEN the plasma user reveal how many real torps he's really got left. ;)

The other thing Gorn can do is engage the Gorn anchor... engage tractor beam. A tractor'ed ship can't launch sensor decoy, and thus must eat the torpedo on the facing shield. And remember a torpedo can be enveloping.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Where are these videos? (guessing youtube but thought you might have a link that I missed somewhere).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:01 am Where are these videos? (guessing youtube but thought you might have a link that I missed somewhere).
https://www.youtube.com/@CaptChang/videos

Though SFC videos won't appear until... uh... Feb 7th.

Between now and then, you get videos on Cold Waters, Ace Combat 7, and some random games I tried for about 30-50 minutes. I've been told doing a "dump" is not a good way to build audience. :D So I've resorted to releasing one video per day, and I have over 100 scheduled between now and April.

Just finished the Gorn campaign, as a Guardians Errant. I did so badly, they fired me a couple missions in. :mrgreen:
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:40 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:01 am Where are these videos? (guessing youtube but thought you might have a link that I missed somewhere).
https://www.youtube.com/@CaptChang/videos

Though SFC videos won't appear until... uh... Feb 7th.

Between now and then, you get videos on Cold Waters, Ace Combat 7, and some random games I tried for about 30-50 minutes. I've been told doing a "dump" is not a good way to build audience. :D So I've resorted to releasing one video per day, and I have over 100 scheduled between now and April.

Just finished the Gorn campaign, as a Guardians Errant. I did so badly, they fired me a couple missions in. :mrgreen:
Note to self - don't look to Kasey's videos for tips on how to play the Gorn. :p

I plan to check out a couple of your SFC videos (having owned a few versions of the board game, with very little play time in that and owning all the SFC games, it's a significant interest of mine). Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the other games (I'm sure your videos are fine, I just couldn't care less about those games and have far too little time, which I mostly waste already).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Of course, we each got our own niches.

SFC content so far are three campaigns: Fed, Klingon, and Gorn. I *may* redo the Gorn in the near future, but Gorn's last video was schedule into MAY already. Now I need to add some Cold Waters videos, or redo some of the earlier ones, as I've been accused of not narrating enough. :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just as a reminder. my playthrough of SFC1 starts to drop every other day starting today at midnight. There will be episodes lined up through August at this rate, since I need to cover all six polities, and so far I've done four. (Fed, Klingon, Gorn, Hydran). Hydran campaign is bugged as I bought too many / too large ship(s) and I somehow never got the advanced missions, it just kept throwing me base assault and base defense missions until I got ground to dust. Now I need to finish the Lyran and Romulan campaigns.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am STUCK in the Lyran campaign. There's this mission that's "trial by combat" where you need to beat up a whole bunch of other ships, and whole passel of them. I bought a "war destroyer" with two companion destroyers, then someone showed up with a DREADNOUGHT (WTF?!) I can destroy 3-4 other ships, then I got chased by the Dreadnought all over the map and die.

Maybe I can just get a dreadnought myself? Sold the other two ships, traded in my ship, for a dreadnought. Did well in the next two missions, bought cruiser to go with my ship. Except for balancing, EVERYBODY ELSE came with cruisers too. I destroyed the smaller ships, then the bigger ships crippled me, then they just pile on and I die, even in the dreadnought, and that's like the fourth time I've played it.

I went back to consult on my guide, which only lists it as "2nd or 3rd toughest mission in all of SFC" Grrrr!!!!

Went to play Bridge Commander instead. :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I tried playing this game again and again, and somehow I can't get through this mission.

There are just too many enemies. I can destroy the dreadnought, or a cruiser, but I'd lose my shield even at max reinforcement, then I can't get enough repair parts into the ship so I can keep repairing and keep fighting. Then the multiple ships just overwhelm me, I lose so much power I can barely move, then recharge weapons, and I die.

I managed to kill one cruiser, or the dreadnought, but the rest of them just take me apart. I tried cheating and give myself a more potent vessel, or edit the ship list to make the ship more powerful. At this rate I have to edit the price of one ship so I can give myself 3 of them instead, and I don't want to do that.

Went to play Bridge Commander, installed the most popular mod, and it does look better (hi-res and all), but somehow, I just got KILLED by the Warbird even though my order was to stay behind it and keep shooting. In the plain version we got some damage, but never to the point of destruction. With the mod, I got killed multiple times in the first battle, even with difficulty on lowest.