Shudder streaming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Shudder streaming

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was anxiously awaiting their monthly update of films a few weeks ago….only to discover it was primarily Italian horror films from the Giallo genre. I think they have someone on their staff who really likes those as they’ve tended to show up a lot this year. Personally, I’m tired of them at this point.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Shudder has the first season of Chucky up now. It’s surprisingly fun. It’s like a CW teen show mixed with dark humor and 80s horror. The show doesn’t ignore its past, it actually revels in it. They bring in characters from the original movie all the way through the numerous sequels. Not surprising considering the original maker Don Mancini is behind it all.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If you've never seen POSSESSION (1981), I highly recommend it. It stars an impossibly young Sam Neill battling infidelity in his failing marriage, with events spiraling completely out of control. Isabelle Adjani turns in an absolutely unhinged performance in a movie that is just total WTF from beginning to end.

I've been trying to track this movie down for years because it was unavailable for streaming and I didn't want to purchase the $40 Blu-ray. Watch it on Shudder while you can.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched the much buzzed about (and extremely polarizing) SKINAMARINK last night.

Some see it as a painfully boring experimental student film where nothing really happens. Others see it as one of the most terrifying films they've ever seen. I fall somewhere in the middle.

It's not a conventional film, and I stress to you that the only way to see this film is either in a theater or in a dark room by yourself with no distractions. It's not a narrative, it's an experience, and what you get out of it is largely going to depend on your own personal fears and how strongly you can still tap into them.

I'm torn between calling it overhyped nonsense and a landmark film for horror. And somehow both of those opinions are co-existing in my brain right now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've been somewhat fascinated by this since seeing it available. It's actually still playing in some art house theaters around me right now.

It seems to be more the raw experience of horror than a story about horror. I want to watch it because of that.
Covfefe!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

So is there any sort of excellent deal on Shudder Streaming? Package deal maybe?
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s one of the less expensive services at 5.99 a month, or 56.99 a year. They do offer a 7 day trial. I would grab that and see if the content is something you see yourself consuming regularly or sporadically. Then subscribe accordingly.

They do offer quite a bit of their stuff on AMC plus, if you subscribe to that. But it’s more expensive and doesn’t have everything. But you do get a lot of other stuff. You can also subscribe through Amazon, but there are no savings and you have to use the Amazon app, which doesn’t air stuff as quickly sometimes (the Joe Bob Briggs specials, for one).

For me it’s an annual subscription as I’m always finding gems in their huge collection.
Covfefe!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:54 am It’s one of the less expensive services at 5.99 a month, or 56.99 a year. They do offer a 7 day trial. I would grab that and see if the content is something you see yourself consuming regularly or sporadically. Then subscribe accordingly.

They do offer quite a bit of their stuff on AMC plus, if you subscribe to that. But it’s more expensive and doesn’t have everything. But you do get a lot of other stuff. You can also subscribe through Amazon, but there are no savings and you have to use the Amazon app, which doesn’t air stuff as quickly sometimes (the Joe Bob Briggs specials, for one).

For me it’s an annual subscription as I’m always finding gems in their huge collection.
Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll wait for your list of recommendations to get a bit longer than try a weeks worth. Once a show is on Shudder is it always available, or do their availabilities come and go?
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They do come and go. They pay for rights for most, if not all of them. So they rotate in and out.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nice. Need to check that one out. I loved the director/writer's We Are Still Here. It was an unexpectedly human ghost story.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And tonight’s the Joe Bob Briggs Halloween Special.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When Evil Lurks
Oct. 27th

Good reviews so I’m in. Seems like a good Halloween film.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

it's an excellent film. One of my favorite horror films of the year so far.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good to hear! Definitely on my list then!
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holy crap, When Evil Lurks is really, really good. I was expecting a decent demonic possession film from Argentina. What I got was a demonic possession film that plopped me into a world already built around the subject. I was not expecting that. What a fiercely original horror movie.
Spoiler:
Turning possession into a a virus for all intents and purposes? And one people know about and treat like an outbreak? Just fantastic.
Demian Rugna also made my other favorite film on Shudder, Terrified. He’s rapidly becoming one of my top 10 horror directors working right now.
Covfefe!
telcta

Post by telcta »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:54 amThey do offer quite a bit of their stuff on AMC plus, if you subscribe to that. But it’s more expensive and doesn’t have everything. But you do get a lot of other stuff. You can also subscribe through Amazon, but there are no savings and you have to use the Amazon app, which doesn’t air stuff as quickly sometimes (the Joe Bob Briggs specials, for one).
Thanks for this. I had picked up the AMC+ subscription for $1.99/mo on Amazon last month and was thrilled to find Shudder was part of the package. Then I found out I couldn't get some of the content. It kept asking me to subscribe to Shudder but I thought I had it as part of the AMC+ package.

Anyway, I've never watched Joe Bob Briggs before and I started his series a couple weeks ago. It's so much fun and I'm watching horror movies I would never think of seeing. Having his commentary and insight into each movie is great and I'm watching as much as I can. I did skip to season 5 because I'm a fan of Day of the Dead and it was a blast seeing the cast on set talking about working with Romero and making the film. I grew up in Pittsburgh and loved Saturday night Chiller Theater with Bill Cardille. His daughter is the lead in Day.

I'm going to go back and pick out some earlier episodes (looks like many are unavailable, especially season 2) but maybe I should just go in order unless someone has a favorite that should be seen first.

I see Amazon is offering $1.99 for a couple months for Shudder itself, maybe that will open up the rest of the movies that are unavailable to me now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the AMC+ channel has almost all the Shudder stuff now. The reason you’re not seeing all the movies from The Last Drive In with Joe Bob is because Shudder and AMC (Shudders parent company) rotate movies in and out frequently. This is due to paying for the rights to show them.

Definitely watch the Thanksgiving special with Texas Chainsaw Massacres. Joe Bob is questionably the foremost authority on the movie. And love it or hate it, you have to admit that it has had more influence on horror films over the last half century than almost any other.

Tigers Are Not Afraid, Mad God and Babadook from the latest season are must sees. One Cut of the Dead from season 1 is fantastic (stick with it, it isn’t what you think it is and you don’t realize that into well into the movie). Mandy in season 3 is Nicholas Cage at his finest…and by finest, I mean most insane.

But honestly, just listening to Joe Bob go off on tangents like the history of whiskey, post WW2 cinema in Germany and so many other topics is great. The man was nominated for a Pulitzer at one point, for crying out loud.
Covfefe!
telcta

Post by telcta »

I have Tigers Are Not Afraid, Mad God and Babadook on my list and will be watching them this weekend. Thank you.

It's been a long time since I watched Texas Chainsaw so that's going on the queue as well. Our library has a fantastic selection of Blu-Ray movies to borrow and I've been taking some older ones like The Omen and Bullitt just to listen to the commentary. It's one of the things I miss the most just watching movies on streaming services.
hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:35 pmBut honestly, just listening to Joe Bob go off on tangents like the history of whiskey, post WW2 cinema in Germany and so many other topics is great.
This is what I'm enjoying the most. Every time he says, "roll the film", he just starts talking again sometimes going on for another 15 minutes. It's wonderful.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't know if AMC+ has it, but on Shudder they offer "just the commentary" for all the Joe Bob episodes. This way, if a movie gets rotated out, you can still watch all of his commentary for the film. Also, if they rotate them back in (which they do a lot), they will appear again under the Last Drive In.

Edit: oh wow, I just checked and AMC+ actually has more episodes still available than the Shudder app. From one of the Shudder forums, I'm reading that AMC+ now has all the content from Shudder. And they even added the "live" showings of Last Drive episodes when they premiere. I think it's time I cancel Shudder and just consolidate under AMC+.
Covfefe!
telcta

Post by telcta »

I found some Last Drive-in episodes that are on Shudder and not AMC+
- S1E04 Society
- S1E06 Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer (I do want to see this one)
- S1E15 The Stuff
- S2E01 Chopping Mall
- S2E04 Heathers
- S3E06 Next of Kin

Everything is either not available (as you mentioned about being rotated out) or on both services. I'll poke around for the commentary only segments because I'd like to hear his take on Heathers. I'll probably jump on the Shudder deal for $2 but AMC+ does seem like a better deal if you watch their other offerings.

Ok, here we go... "The Last Drive-in: Just Joe Bob", both AMC+ and Shudder. I see Heathers... and he does the Phantasm series, fantastic. You're opening up a ton of new content for me to watch.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Weird, I'm on the Shudder website and I do not see most of the ones you're seeing as available. I wonder if it's a regional thing? Is your provider routing you through Canada or something?

Also, I want to make another suggestion: Season 3 Day of the Beast. I only see it available on AMC+ though. But it's by one of my favorite Spanish directors, Álex de la Iglesia. Summary: A priest discovers the date of the arrival of the anti Christ, but he can only prevent it from happening by doing evil things himself.
Spoiler:
edit: wait, did you say you had AMC+ through Amazon? If so, I think that way is missing a lot. If you subscribe directly to AMC+ without going through Amazon, you'll see more on that than on Shudder or Amazon hosted Shudder.

Seriously, the whole thing is messed up. I friggin' hate the way Amazon hosts other streaming services. It's so half ass.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
telcta

Post by telcta »

Yes, through US Amazon. I think this is the last time I’ll use Amazon channels after I’m done with the Shudder deal. It’s sometimes confusing especially trying to dig into the content of a channel.

The list I got above was me going into Amazon, not logged in, so I can see the signup options for AMC+ or Shudder in the episode list.
hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:31 pm Also, I want to make another suggestion: Season 3 Day of the Beast. I only see it available on AMC+ though. But it's by one of my favorite Spanish directors, Álex de la Iglesia. Summary: A priest discovers the date of the arrival of the anti Christ, but he can only prevent it from happening by doing evil things himself.
After just finishing a rewatch of The Omen (so, so good, especially the score), this sounds like a great suggestion. I appreciate the guidance.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm guessing that Amazon has it's own licensing rights to some of the movies. Society is a scream, so definitely watch that if you see it on the list.
Covfefe!
telcta

Post by telcta »

Had a little movie marathon and watched some of Hepcat's suggestions:

Tigers Are Not Afraid - This was fantastic and I never would have watched this if it wasn't recommended (or it may have been a lot longer before I experienced this gem). Really dark and depressing, but so well done. I can understand why Guillermo del Toro loves Issa López's work and is now collaborating with her.

Mad God - Well, listening to Joe Bob talk about this in the opening segment, I knew I was in for something completely different and prepared myself for it... I still wasn't prepared for what I was about to see. And yet, I oddly enjoyed it. I'm a David Lynch fan and have his Industrial Symphony #1 on Laserdisc with Julee Cruise, the sound design in both of these shows are incredible and just washes over me in an unsettling yet comforting way. Hard to explain but Mad God was fun to watch and even better to listen to Phil Tippett say "I don't know" when Joe Bob asked him questions about what he was thinking.

The Thanksgiving special with Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Season 3 Day of the Beast are not available to me but are on my list so I'll keep checking.

I'm adding Shudder today (last day for the Amazon $1.99 special) and this will get me access to Society.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One last thing: YK and I have sung its praises, so if you get the time, watch Terrified. It isn’t hosted by the Last Drive In but it’s hands down one of the best horror films of the last decade.
Covfefe!