TEMU.com -- Better than Wish.com?

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Kasey Chang

TEMU.com -- Better than Wish.com?

Post by Kasey Chang »

Those that watch ads may notice a new "direct from China" retailer in the US... temu.com, and they claim to offer some prices so low, it's almost ridiculous, and some of the items are like HALF the price of the equivalent stuff on Amazon. But we've seen promises like that before, like crap items from Wish.com, mostly Chinese counterfeits.

For funsies, I ordered some misc items from temu.com

Genuine Lenovo neckband Bluetooth headset for... $6.29 (HE05 Pro) That's HALF of the price on Aliexpress!

A set of 7 dice of various configs for... $2.48

A set of 2 x wireless lavalier microphone and 1 receiver for USB-C (Android) phones for $5.69 (!) Amazon has this for almost $30!

A folding "400 lb" camping stool for $12.48

A hand-held wireless air blower kit with a few accessories (different blowers nozzles) for $30.09 (equivalent blower is like $60 -90 on Amazon) (I did NOT get this one... yet, because I already have a blower from Amazon, but it's a plug-in not wireless)

A clone of "Angry Mama" microwave cleaner for $2.09 (the real thing is $7.59 on Amazon)

They even have Mechanical keyboards and novelty keycaps (though these keycaps look to be mass reproduced) for prices like $2.08 each cap

A set of 10 soft cloth I plan to use as dish rags, $2.08

When you order, try to hold out for free shipping events, as they *do* get you on shipping charges. So beware.

And the website is fairly limited compared to the smartphone app.

May be worth a try if you need some cheap stuff that you don't mind cheaping out on. I probably wouldn't recommend buying more expensive stuff on Temu, at least not until I get the >$10 items. Just beware, you will end up adding a ton of items to your cart. Control yourself. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Re: TEMU.com -- Better than Wish.com?

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never ordered from wish. Frankly Ive never heard anything good about it and the videos Ive seen range from horrible to funny.

It will be interesting to see what you get lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:46 am Those that watch ads may notice a new "direct from China" retailer in the US... temu.com, and they claim to offer some prices so low, it's almost ridiculous, and some of the items are like HALF the price of the equivalent stuff on Amazon. But we've seen promises like that before, like crap items from Wish.com, mostly Chinese counterfeits.

For funsies, I ordered some misc items from temu.com

Genuine Lenovo neckband Bluetooth headset for... $6.29 (HE05 Pro) That's HALF of the price on Aliexpress!

A set of 7 dice of various configs for... $2.48

A set of 2 x wireless lavalier microphone and 1 receiver for USB-C (Android) phones for $5.69 (!) Amazon has this for almost $30!

A folding "400 lb" camping stool for $12.48

A hand-held wireless air blower kit with a few accessories (different blowers nozzles) for $30.09 (equivalent blower is like $60 -90 on Amazon) (I did NOT get this one... yet, because I already have a blower from Amazon, but it's a plug-in not wireless)

A clone of "Angry Mama" microwave cleaner for $2.09 (the real thing is $7.59 on Amazon)

They even have Mechanical keyboards and novelty keycaps (though these keycaps look to be mass reproduced) for prices like $2.08 each cap

A set of 10 soft cloth I plan to use as dish rags, $2.08

When you order, try to hold out for free shipping events, as they *do* get you on shipping charges. So beware.

And the website is fairly limited compared to the smartphone app.

May be worth a try if you need some cheap stuff that you don't mind cheaping out on. I probably wouldn't recommend buying more expensive stuff on Temu, at least not until I get the >$10 items. Just beware, you will end up adding a ton of items to your cart. Control yourself. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

now with bonus lead
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Eh. Do you think the factories that produce crap for Walmart and Amazon are in a different China or something?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

For that matter, if it wasn't China (which as they continue to evolve their industry/economy and start having to pay more, it may not stay China), it would be some other country with equal "high quality and treatment of their people".
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even US. Some company here in Chattanooga was found to be using child labor...and I think it was the 2nd time and multiple factories in the US .
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Chraolic wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:06 pm Eh. Do you think the factories that produce crap for Walmart and Amazon are in a different China or something?
Not at all; the image I posted applies as much to them as any other merchants and manufacturers reliant upon Chinese forced labour to boost their bottom line. Cheaply-manufactured goods from Chinese forced labour may well be pervasive, but that does not oblige us to ignore the realities of how and why these products are produced and sold so cheaply.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

But if you're poor, it leaves you helpless to avoid it. The poor people economy is reliant on it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The commenters seem happy too.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got the package.

The folding stool was junk, but the return / refund process was painless. Upload a photo and it's approved in minutes.

The wireless microphone lavalier works, which is the amazing part. I was thinking about buying one for fun, and at $6 it's an impulse buy, not at $20 or $30. Only got one microphone and one receiver, but it worked flawlessly so far. Used Google's own recorder, it works just like an internal mic.

Got one of those metal folding phone stands you stick on the back of phone for $2.50. It works... for one that has a FLAT back. I didn't notice before, but it seems my case for my Pixel 6 has a CURVED back. So the glue isn't quite sticking. *sigh* Fortunately, they did include a second piece of stickies. So I may try on a different case if I ever buy a different case for this phone.

The custom "cat's paw" key is expected: cast out of hard plastic and painted cheaply, NOT the silicone upper like the real item. It's a look-alike, but at $3 you don't expect it to be exactly like the original.

I'm wearing mesh beret for... $2.50. It's a LITTLE small, but it actually fits, unlike most caps I wear.

Got 2 small "trays" that fits' on top of TV or monitor to hold those Amazon/Google/Android/Apple TV miniboxes for $2.15 each. You can use them for other stuff, like photo frames, action figure, micro-plant, etc. I've bought bigger ones on Amazon for like $10-15. So $2 is a no-brainer.

EDIT: The Lenovo bluetooth neckband headset is as expected. The package was marked "to be marked in China only", so I guess, no warranty, but for less than $10, there's really no point in expecting a warranty either. But Temu claims to offer money back within 90 days.

The 2 mini carabiner key-chain for $2 thing work and looks pretty decent. It's "optimized" to lock in the key part so when you clip it the keys can't come back out, not a bad design for the price.

I bought one of those "storage pills" (a mini container that goes on your keychain for emergency meds or such) for a buck. Has a gasket on the threads so it's water resistant, and bigger than I expect, 2 inches tall and 0.75 inch (guesstimate) diameter, enough to store some emergency money, quite a few pills, and whatnot.

Will update on the rest of the stuff.

If you can find it on Amazon, you can probably find it on Temu. Just expect a lot of ads machine translated from Chinese, that will have you scratching your head. One of the most hilarious examples:

Enlarge Image

Apparently this is translated literally from Chinese, one of the more recent viral phrases, that means "you barely feel it's there".
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I see Temu pantyhose ads in my Facebook feed. I had no idea they were anything other than a pantyhose store.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My own little Temu review video:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I plan to order some stuff when I have free moooooonies. Like fingernail files and such.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had $15 free so tested them. Shall see. It was also a test of my Cash App. It worked amazingly well. I added $10 instantly then when I checked out on TEMU it had a little popup box for Cash App and a QR code t scan with Cash App. Instant and easy. Im part of the future!!! Somehow both my phone and pc knew Id scanned the QR code and paid and it moved on. Nice.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The payment interface is really slick alright. Almost frictionless.

My second shipment has arrived. A couple duds, a couple useful items.

* Shoe insoles for $3.59 -- a little thinner than I expect, but seems soft enough, comparable to $10 locally

* Wifi temp/humidity smart home sensor w/ Android/IOS app (powered by Tuya) $5.98 These are $15-20 on Amazon... and it does work. Turn on heater and/or fans and/or humidifiers automatically if you want by linking it to your IoT at home via Alexa or Google Assistant.

* 7 port USB3 hub with individual switches -- $5.48 (I've seen USB2 4-port hubs more expensive than this...)

* Set of 2 adjustable measuring spoons (instead of a whole set of spoons, you have 2 spoons with adjustable size) $1.98 ($10 locally)

* set of 4 plastic liners for fridge, dinner table, etc. $4.48

* Spam / egg slicer for $5.48 anything comparable locally is more than $9, and I *do* need one

* One "400 lb" folding stool, that folds up to size of stack of saucers, but unfolds into a several foot tall stool for $21. These are $30-40 on Amazon. And yes, I've sat on it. It really holds 300 lb. It's not even close to being flimsy. Pretty amazing.

* Free gift for buying $55 -- Jinhao X850 fountain pen with built-in ink pump, worth $10-15 in the US!

The duds?

* Kitchen faucet flexi-nozzle for $1.68 -- the adapter does NOT fit on my faucet

* 7 pc earpick tool set for $1.18 -- it works, but most of the tools are PLASTIC... Meh.

* ergonomic mouse wrist rest for $3.48 -- much much harder than expected
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ordered a couple more "impulse buys"

* drawing "tablet" (not connected to anything) 12 inch like... $5.00. It's electrostatic, so it's erasable. Sketch, sign, etc. You get the idea.

* multi-purpose "cube timer", just put the right time up, and the timer starts. for $6.

* Wheat straw 8-inch plate, set of 4, $8.00. These are like $20 on Amazon. A set of 4 wheat straw spoons? $1.50

* Blue-blocker glasses with amber tint add-on and sunglasses add-on, magnetic clip, $4.08. If it fits my face, that is.

* Fountain pen with 6 ink cartridges: $2.00 ?!

* 15 ml of premium fountain pen ink $3.00

* Auto open/close mini trash can: $25 (I did not order this one, as I don't need such a thing, but it's cool, as it's got a hand sensor)

* Microphone isolation foam cube: $24 (compared to $200+ for the name brand version) (I didn't order this one either, as it's a bit too rich for my blood, but if I have the budget...)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:06 pm Ordered a couple more "impulse buys"

* drawing "tablet" (not connected to anything) 12 inch like... $5.00. It's electrostatic, so it's erasable. Sketch, sign, etc. You get the idea.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The tablet came in. It's actually not bad for $5. Give it to a kid to draw random crap on, basically.

Enlarge Image

What I can't believe was how cheap their fountain pens are.

I bought a cheap plastic body fountain pen with 6 ink carts for... $1.79 And 15 ml of ink (enough for a couple refills) for $3.48. I previously got a "free" pen from Temu (with $65 purchase) and I filled it up with this ink. Both work good so far.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:01 pm The tablet came in. It's actually not bad for $5. Give it to a kid to draw random crap on, basically.
I got one of those (different brand/model) as a toss-in 'stretch goal' on a Kickstarter a while back. They're actually useful for keeping score/figuring out combat in tabletop games.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've decided to start a channel of Temu shopping videos where I go over the interesting and geeky stuff I found. :D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpdh78 ... xFPZiduNkQ

EDIT: Just added an unbagging video, making this video number 5 about Temu.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My test shipment arrived just a day later than they thought it would so pretty good.

The nail files came 10 to a pack and are just as good as the ones I buy for a $1 or more each here.

The LED strip is exactly the same as I got at Walmart a few years ago..same remote too. The USB power cord it came with is MUCH shorter though..too short to actually reach from my pc to the monitor. But fine if I was going to use them on the PC. Also I only got a 3' test strip..too short for anything. But much longer ones are only a buck or two more. Nice and bright too. Light up my room.

The gaming handheld is the star. Its smaller than an old gameboy and the screen is really small. Hard to see enemy bullets coming at me but comes loaded with 400 games. Tons of old arcade games from the 80s I loved and a ton I dont know..has stuff from pacman to Xevious to Kung Fu and Defender. And they all sound exactly like the arcades. Its really damn cool and a steal at $10. It weighs nothing..guessing just enough in there for the emulator to work and some memory. Its really amazing to lay in bed in the dark playing all the old arcade stuff..even Popeye and Donkey Kong. Come with its own rechargable phone like battery and a recharging cable and a cable to play it on my tv if I sat really close.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Last few days I've been seeing Temu YouTube ads for "Lenovo" brand wireless earbuds that look like Apple knockoffs for under $3 Canadian. Not sure what to make of it. Like at that price would people even trust the product enough to try it?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I tried stuff cause it was cheap and I could never afford more to find out. I was nicely happy with what I got ,,even happier than I hoped.

Also tested the nail files..awesome.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Sudy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:26 pm Last few days I've been seeing Temu YouTube ads for "Lenovo" brand wireless earbuds that look like Apple knockoffs for under $3 Canadian. Not sure what to make of it. Like at that price would people even trust the product enough to try it?
In my first Temu video, I tried the Lenovo "neckband" BT Headset for $7. It works great. These are basically "only for China" items sold outside, so it's technically gray market items. No warranty, but Temu's return policy is pretty generous. They basically give you the item free, period.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Next shipment came in:

* 1 steel comb $4.18

* 5 sets of eye glasses retainer $1.98

* 1 A7 mini pocket notebook with pen holder for $2.69

* 1 pair of 3-in-1 sunglasses with magnets $4.04 (too small for my head, no spring hinges)

* 1 set of "bone conduction" headset for $11.48

* 1 metal barrel mechanical pencil for $4.48

* 1 key folding carabiner $2.24

* 2 x illuminated dry-erase message board $5.48 each (need USB power)

* 6 x cable wrap, stick on $2.59

* 10 pc stick on hook for $1.79

* 1 "tactical" double carabiner $1.34

* 1 large T-shirt "Science doesn't care what you believe" $7.19

* 1 "wiping tool" $5.48
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Do you feel like a billionaire yet? Let me know how you like the bone conduction headset. I might need a back up. My Aftershokz just died. They're processing the warranty claim.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:04 am * 1 "wiping tool" $5.48
Hmmmm......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:02 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:04 am * 1 "wiping tool" $5.48
Hmmmm......
Its called toilet paper.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When in Rome...

Enlarge Image
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:55 am Do you feel like a billionaire yet? Let me know how you like the bone conduction headset. I might need a back up. My Aftershokz just died. They're processing the warranty claim.
The one I got is light, but due to my XL sized head, still fit horribly. *sigh* And due to the way they badly fit they're not really bone conducting. YMMV.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:49 pm When in Rome...

Enlarge Image
"Apply the stick." I'll always remember that phrase from Eagle in the Snow.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ads during the Superbowl and this morning they were featured on Word Wide Exchange on CNBC.

I tired searching for some cheap headphones but wasn't willing to risk of price to WTF did I get ratio.

I'm thinking about ordering some cheap cheap crap that I can't understand the expense when I go to a brick and mortar store, like 1/8" to Lightning adapter for $10 which no one has in stock so buy this $30 one. Amazon will sell me a $5 one but I don't have Prime, so shipping... Temu sell them for $.98.

Am I paranoid where me biggest concern is giving them my CC? It's times like these I wish I kept to CCs. One for trusted purchases, recurring payments, and one for everything else from Gas to... well, things like TEMU. Why gas you say? I personally know at 10 people who have had their CCs compromised presumably through compromised gas station payment. So much so, that I've long since examined CC readers at every gas station I visit.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I believe they accept Google Pay and Paypal if you feel more comfortable giving one of those companies your credit card. Neither sends your actual credit/debit card information to the vendor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Nice. Thank you. Paypal works for me. Of course they bill my CC but that's a firewall I can work with. Now to ponder what cheap stuff I'm too lazy or too cheap to get before I order and ponder how I won't feel ripped off if I get garbage.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Had to buy $10 worth of stuff, so I got home headbands and a spare headset, but this one is wireless.

We'll see if this throwing away $10 or not in about three weeks. I need to make a note to start looking for stuff then.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The tracking is quite accurate. To west coast it's about 10 days. Add days as you see fit. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

And the funny thing is they give away coupons once you order $30 worth of stuff. For when you buy more than $30, of course. Like 60, 100, and 150. I haven't had a chance to use them yet. And you sometimes find influencer codes that can give you an item or two free, and ads that promise even lower prices on certain things. It's an addiction and you have to reign in. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It took 10 days to get to me in TN. Also I paid with Cash App. Temu brought up a QR code and I scanned it with my cash app scanner and instant paid and done. And that money ONLY comes from cash app.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey Kasey....any idea how to turn off Temu notifications on my phone? I swear Ive turned them all off yet Im still getting home screen msgs when I wake up in the morning.

The ones like "Hey friend, we found these for ya" or "Hey friend..whatever" ones.

In my head I have a conversation with them...Im not your friend buddy. Im not your buddy pal. Im not your pal friend and so on :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I ordered a brush set for my cordless drill to clean the bathroom tub and toilet, a wristwatch Ive been needing for 4 years, and a bedroom light to relax me and help me sleep.