Brag On Your Kid

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Mr. Fed

Brag On Your Kid

Post by Mr. Fed »

Kid haterz, childfree advocates, people nauseated by kidz, turn elsewhere. :P

It's brag on your kid day. Explain why everyone else's kid sucks compared to yours!

Evan's 5th birthday was Saturday. We had a profoundly exhausting party for him (16 kids, lots of partents, etc.)

He's a good kid. He has a lot of toys and didn't need 16+ new ones. So we told him that he'd get presents from us and relatives, but suggested that he ask the people coming to the party to bring toys for kids at Door of Hope, a local battered woman's shelter. He got really excited about it and agreed. People brought great stuff for the kids, and he went through them and babbled about "Wow! The kids will love this!" He can't wait to take the toys to the shelter.

Sunday my Dad took him to a local hobby store featuring trains as a birthday treat. He took some money he got for his birthday to spend as he liked. When he got there, the first thing he asked to do was buy something for his little sister, whose birthday is in April, with his own money. (My Dad supplemented his fiver).

Then, of course, because he's not too much of a goody-two-shoes, he conned my Dad into buying him an elaborate electric train set. It's possible the gift-for-the-sister was just softening up grandpa for the con. Dad was pretty sheepish when he returned. Either way, that's my boy! Pwned.

He's a good kid. I'm very lucky.

Popehat, a blog.
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

My son drools like a champion. He also farts a lot. He babbles a hell of a lot (no idea where he got that from).

He also smiles & giggles a lot. He's a good 4 month old kid.

Josh wrote:Want MILK!
shaggydoug

Post by shaggydoug »

My wife has an aversion to photos of the kids on the net.

With that said, my oldest daughter (9) left little "I love you" notes on all of the rest of our pillows last night. What made it more remarkable is that she was being...ummm....what's the word here....."encouraged in a loud voice" to get her piano practicing in. Somehow in the middle of that she did this and surprised us all. I felt like such a tool. She does little things like this all the time.

I can brag about all my kids' abilities and talents but I don't think that's in the spirit of our fine example above. You got a good kid Mr. Fed.

- shaggy
Odin

Post by Odin »

My 6-year-old made every bed in the house on Sunday. She did a reasonably good job of it, too. She put a hand-written love note under every pillow. I suggested we get her a bag of mints to use for next time. :)

Sith
Roman

Post by Roman »

I came home lastnight for dinner to be greeted with my son's now 'training-wheeless' bike. He is 4 years old and was able to ride sans 'ladies aid' :lol: on his first attempt.
Proud papa indeed.

Roman
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My kids are all getting little horns on their heads.Twice I've had to rescue them from getting stuck in places.They're growing their teeth and eating now too. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

My (almost 3) boy is hitting pitched baseballs over the fence. Well, one anyway. But damn was I proud.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Our son (a little over 3.5YO) showed some interest in potty training back at 3 but tsort of phased out of it after a week. Two weeks ago, someone threw a switch in his head and he's been wearing "big boy" underwear and going on the "potty" without incident since. We still put him in training pants at night, but he's been dry every morning. The occasional 3am barging into the bedroom, calling out "I need to go peeeeeeeee!" took a little getting used to though :P

I was just sitting around the other say when it hit me... after three and a half years, I haven't had to deal with a messy diaper/training pants for two weeks. Life is good ;)
Jag

Post by Jag »

My son likes to write stories. He's still in pre-k, but he enjoys sounding out the words on his own, writing them down on paper and telling a story. He'll then take stickers to illustrate the story. Pretty amazing since he's done this several times on his own, without anyone even knowing he was doing it. There are kids in his class who are still struggling to read. He just has a huge appetite for learning, which makes me really proud.

We also did a similar thing when he turned 5 last September. We asked him go through his toys and pick a few to keep. The rest he gave away to a childrens charity. He then went through his other toys and picked a bunch of those to give away as well. He was really excited about it, which was nice.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Last week Elise learned how to crawl.

This week she's learning that banging her head on things hurts.

She's still working on eating without wearing her food.

She's a great kid. She sleeps through the night (mostly) and seems to giggle and smile all the time. :wub:
Austin

Post by Austin »

This one started sleeping through the night around 6 weeks. (That being minimum of 10:30PM - 3:30AM or the record so far of 9:30PM - 6:30AM at 9 weeks) This is all on her own accord; as a matter of fact for a few weeks AM would wake her up to make her eat as it didn't seem normal to us. (Luke didn't sleep through the night until 8 months and not consistantly until 1 year)

This one is just awesome. He's definitely strong-willed but he's a blast. He's fairly huge for his age too so I'm thinking at least middle linebacker or hockey enforcer. I think he's likely to end up in extreme sports though as he's pretty much crazy on the running around, into and off of things.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Amelia is 6.5 months old. She's just about to start crawling. She really wants to. She just can't quite put it all together yet. Last week, we had her out visiting family all day and she never got fussy or irritable. She took her naps and ate her food. She was a really good baby, and I told her how proud her daddy was of her. And she's just so darn cute!

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

noxiousdog wrote:My (almost 3) boy is hitting pitched baseballs over the fence. Well, one anyway. But damn was I proud.
Somewhere in the last week or two I saw a study that says kids have a harder time hitting slow pitches than they do slightly faster ones. It's something about the human eye being evolved to see fast moving objects more clearly and coordinate with the rest of the body on reaction times.

So you can be like Clemens and hit him on the next pitch for taking you deep. ;)
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

Austin wrote:Image
I'm not a baby man, but even I have to admit you've got some superhuman cuteness happening there.
rob

Post by rob »

When she was a little over 1, my older daughter (now 2 1/2 with a 9 month old baby sister) sat down next to me on the couch, pointed over my shoulder and said, "Hey, what's that?" I turned around a bit to look and she dove on me, laughing like hell and tickling my ribs while making this goofy "giggillygiggillygiggily" sound that I made (make) when tickling her.

Ah... a wise ass just like her dad! That was the first joke she ever pulled on me (as far as I could tell) and I was so damn proud I almost cried. :)

Ok, so it's not my kid donating her birhtday presents to charity or anything, but still pretty good for a one year old, isn't it?
naednek

Post by naednek »

I thought today was National Hair Day
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Can I brag on my nephew since I don't have kids?

He is just over a year old.
When asked what begins with the letter S he invariably answer "Uncle Steve"
He has learned that 9x9 equals 81, has no idea what that means but giggles hysterically whenever he says it to women (always women, he's a player at 13 months) and theirs mouths drop open.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

My kid is rougly the size of a blackberry and is in the process of growing eyelids. (S)he is doing an excellent job of getting me time to play Oblivion by making my wife go to bed around 9:30 every night.
MHS

Post by MHS »

We have an almost teenaged girl. She is her own person and doesn't bow to what her peers think is cool. In middle school, that's pretty impressive stuff.

Oh yeah, she's also a gamer. :)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

ChrisGwinn wrote:My kid is rougly the size of a blackberry and is in the process of growing eyelids. (S)he is doing an excellent job of getting me time to play Oblivion by making my wife go to bed around 9:30 every night.
When my wife was pregnant she went to bed by 8:00 each night.

I would advise you to play as much Oblivion now as you possibly can, to make up for the 3 or 4 months when you won't get to play at all.

Post by Default »

dbt1949 wrote:My kids are all getting little horns on their heads.Twice I've had to rescue them from getting stuck in places.They're growing their teeth and eating now too. :wink:
At least they'll grow up to be fine lawyers!
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Austin

Post by Austin »

Exodor wrote:
ChrisGwinn wrote:My kid is rougly the size of a blackberry and is in the process of growing eyelids. (S)he is doing an excellent job of getting me time to play Oblivion by making my wife go to bed around 9:30 every night.
When my wife was pregnant she went to bed by 8:00 each night.

I would advise you to play as much Oblivion now as you possibly can, to make up for the 3 or 4 months when you won't get to play at all.
You know, it worked the other way for me when we had our first. We used to be two income and most days we'd get home from work and get organized and than head out for a semi-late dinner usually getting in around 8:30PM give or take 30 minutes.

We'd maybe watch a show or something and head to bed. Now Luke hits bed around 7:00-7:30PM and Savannah dozes a lot in the evening before going to bed between 9:30 and 10:30. All that time from 7:00PM until bed has generated more potential game time. Not good MMO game time as it can have interruptions but perfect TBS or pausable game time. ;)
DD

Post by DD »

*bump* for those that haven't seen this.
Grafvolluth

Post by Grafvolluth »

Coming up on 2 months old. Eats, poops, and sleeps like a champ. I guess the one recent cool thing is rolling over from stomach to back under her own power.

Post by Default »

I just want you to know that after seeing this thread, my wife wants a baby.

Damned OO forum effect!
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Jaymann

Re: Brag On Your Kid

Post by Jaymann »

My third grade granddaughter won first place in a jiu jitsu competition! I can remember her rolling around on the floor too weak to crawl.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I can remember you rolling around on the floor too weak to crawl.
And now look what a fine young man you turned out to be. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Mr. Fed's kid is now 22 years old. He was 5 when he started this thread. Good god we're getting old.
FTE
raydude

Post by raydude »

My youngest daughter is 11 now and loves playing Genshin Impact with me. In fact, she's the one who got me into it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My oldest is in first year university. He's my retirement plan. Wish him luck. He managed to get a couple of entrance scholarships which has allowed me to stretch his education fund farther. Yay.

I'm quite proud of him. :oops:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My youngest is 6.5. He has never had a haircut in his life. This is a point of contention between my wife and him on one side (no cut) and my and my daughter in the other (cut that shit).

Recently there was a life outbreak at his school. He was checked out and...no lice! He is a miracle child!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:00 pm My youngest is 6.5. He has never had a haircut in his life. This is a point of contention between my wife and him on one side (no cut) and my and my daughter in the other (cut that shit).

Recently there was a life outbreak at his school. He was checked out and...no lice! He is a miracle child!
My younger kid caught lice at summer camp 2.5 years ago. He opted for a full head-shave rather than daily inspections.

He's now 16 and his hair is down past his shoulders.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I had shoulder length hair at 18, then cut it short for the workforce. Now I'm retired, and when covid hit I went back to shoulder length.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:00 pm Recently there was a life outbreak at his school.
:ninja:

One of the more fantastic misspellings that ended up perfectly appropriate!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:49 pm He's now 16 and his hair is down past his shoulders.
My eldest has hair down to his ass. I don't think he knows why he's growing it. He just is.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

My kid is 17 now and going to college in the fall.

My wife is not at all prepared for the empty nest but I am. I'll miss my kid but I"m excited for her to start the next chapter of her life.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

gbasden wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:33 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:00 pm Recently there was a life outbreak at his school.
:ninja:

One of the more fantastic misspellings that ended up perfectly appropriate!
Whoops!

Lice is technically alive? :oops:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

My 9-year-old is excelling at piano lessons, but that is merely a side part to this story. On our way to lessons the other day I played the old Dr. Demento song "They're Coming to Take Me Away, HA HA" and the look on her face was priceless. She seemed alternately amused, confused, and horrified. Then she found out what the song was about and just shook her head. "I don't like that song," was her final proclamation.

45 minutes later after her lesson, we were going home and she asked me to play the song again. I said, "I thought you didn't like it?"

Her response was, "Please, Dad. I've matured SO much since then."

She cracks me up.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My 9 year old just started piano lessons, and the only thing he seems to have accomplished is talking his teacher into trying a Roblox module popular among the kids these days. Teacher says he's doing great, though.

His lesson this week is preempted by his belt test to move from Purple Belt to Light Blue belt in taekwondo. Meanwhile, bought tickets today to my 6 year old daughter's first jazz dancing recital later this month. She's also in tap and ballet, both which have upcoming performances too. She's also in a theater production of Disney's Descendants, that will be in May and is apparently the largest production her group has ever done. As part of this production, she's getting singing lessons...she is hoping that sometime in the future she can sing a song with her brother playing piano.
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

My oldest had his Eagle Scout ceremony this past weekend. Four of the eight Eagles had been together since cub scouts in first grade. I think the boys were more proud of each other than themselves. It might have gotten a bit dusty in there.