Red Dead Redemption 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Daehawk »

I used to scoff and think theres no way to aim with a controller in a shooter or something. Then my friend brought over his 360 in 2009 and we played Halo and Gears of War. Within 20 min I was keeping up with him and it felt natural. Now days theres games I dont like without a controller on pc like the mentioned RDO and GTA V . I dont use auto aim either with them or tracking. I turn it all off when I can because I can simply aim on the fly these days. Lots of games have keyboard keys ALL OVER the damn keyboard now OR they wont let me rebind some keys like arrows. A controller solves that by having all keys right there in my hands and under my thumbs.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Brian

Post by Brian »

I also use a controller for RDR2, GTA, and a smattering of other titles. Additionally, while I use K/M for Cyberpunk, I switch to the controller when operating a vehicle as it just feels more natural.

One oddity though is that when playing shooters with K/M, I invert the Y axis as that's how I've played since the 90's and I ain't a-gunna change now. However, with the controller, I don't invert the Y axis. I can switch back and forth without losing a beat.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There are so many games that I find more enjoyable with a gamepad, but to each his own. Red Dead does have super complicated controls on a gamepad or with the keyboard and mouse. There is no denying that, but once you get over that it's the best darn experience you can get.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:36 pm Even watching the end game credits was great, despite seeing one final gut punch
Spoiler:
Mary Linton visiting Arthur's grave, weeping
But all the other scenes inter-spliced with the credits were really well done. I sincerely hope they are going to remaster and sell the original on PC. I don't think this game unseats the Witcher 3 for me, but it's definitely a close second. I think the only difference is the scope - W3 has that all-encompassing grand fantasy feel, but RDR2 felt more like finishing numerous seasons of a cable series.
I tried to play the Witcher 3 this week and noped out of it. The animations are wayyyy worse than I remember and coming from RD2 to that is very jarring. And I love that game... I have to give the nod to RD2 for me, but that's because I love old westerns. And I don't think I laugh any harder than when something horrible happens in RD2. I was chasing someone on a horse rammed a dude that made me somersault off my horse into a gigantic pile of mud. It was amazing. Image
I started my 2ndvplay through of Witcher 3 and immediately modded the game with high res texture. Night and day better. Try it

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

It is amazing how well this runs on my Ryzen 3400g (no video card other than the APU).

Even after getting down to Valentine I still enjoy the more weighty animations. First person is cool and works for some things but my depth perception is off. I keep trying to climb on the furniture when I'm trying to get close enough to see if there is anything there to interact with. I'll probably stick with 3rd person but I loved doing the hunting tutorial with Charles in first person.

My biggest issue now is that I spent an hour last night looking at mods. I think it was going first person; I've triggered the same desire for 1,000 different clothing items and weapons that I have in FO4 and Skyrim. I'm going to be seeing a lot of Arthur and I want to give him a good look.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The thing about the first-person horse riding is that it feels strangely disconnected and the jerky motion when you're steering doesn't help the feeling, and the gunplay and cover don't quite work in first-person.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I agree that first person horse riding doesn't quite work. On the other hand I like what little first person gunplay I've done. I'm sure I'll end up doing mostly 3rd person though due to the riding.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm about a quarter of the way through the game and done with most of the story content in Chapter 2. What I have left is busting Micah out of jail and the associated stuff that will lead to us leaving for greener pastures (Chapter 3).

I'm conflicted. I love the look of the game and I enjoy living in the world that it presents but I'm feeling a lot of limits on the open world. Oddly enough the biggest one is something that strikes me as a great historical lesson. I have found myself hunting in the game but leaving the carcasses behind since my horse can only carry one but I'd like to turn in more skins at a time. Very reminiscent of the real West but I feel bad for wasting the carcass from both a conservation and a frugality aspect. Technically the animals are unlimited but I still find it hard to be as wanton in my killing as the buffalo hunters were.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The fur trader can be found in various places around the map. Doesn't help with the limit, but there's generally at least one pretty darn close to where you are. I'd say most of the game is unlocked by the end of Chapter 2 so I'm not sure what would be limiting. I just wandered around for hours doing whatever I wanted.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

:D Different limits! I have most things unlocked although I haven't been able to get the fishing mission yet.

What I'm finding limiting are things that are more or less real world limits. If I want to go get a bunch of skins I can hang out hunting without problems. But I can only carry one carcass on my horse so I end up leaving the rest to rot just as happened with the bison in the West. Which is cool but also frustrating.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I guess that's more of a design limitation. They could solve that by making the hunting wagon from online available in singleplayer.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I figured if I moved my PS4 to the bed and tv spot I would use it more. Was right. I played RDR2 for 2 straight hours last night. I hadn't even played an hours worth since getting it last year...or the year before. Dont even remember when I got it.

I got a quest and while doing it encountered and finished 4 other ones. Had to make myself go to bed. It was 2am. I shaved good and by the time Id done all that stuff I needed another one..in game I mean.

Also didn't realize sitting indian style in the bed would make my knees feel broken when I stretched my legs back out .Man oh man that was painful.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got a love / hate with this game.

Its beautiful to look at. Its great being in a western and having pistol shootouts like I watched on tv as a kid and want a holodeck for :). The missions are usually interesting and fun. Lots of stuff to love.

On the flip side Im REALLY tired of getting a bounty for nothing or something I didn't know would cause it. Im broke all the time because of it. I saw two guys fighting in town and one knocked the other out. I felt bad for him laying in the street so I picked him up and moved him to the sidewalk..BAM instant bounty for assault. Another time I have no idea what I did and got a bounty..Pissed me off so I killed near the whole town. That one cost me. And Ive given totally up on having a hat. It flies off all the time. I just now noticed it was missing again. No idea where. I picked up a guys hat that attacked me...THIEF!...$%&#%^@$W%^$&*^$^*&

Lastly I play in a quiet room and the fan on the PS4 spins like a turbo jet.

Oh and I have a red circle marked BOUNTY. So I got there and its a fort. I figure its a bandit fort and my bounty is inside so I start shooting heads of people in the fort on the wall. Nope its a military fort...suddenly law starts showing up outside the fort shooting me. Again took my money. E%^%E#^
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And what is it with people and animals running out in front of you? I was riding into town last night and a dog ran out to bark and greet me and I couldn't stop my horse fast enough. Knocked the poor dog down. It yelped and ran about 20 feet then fell over and laid there kicking its legs and screaming. Hurt my little heart and actually bout made me sick. I couldn't stand that and I really hated that. I didn't know what to do. The options menu gave me no way to help it or move it or anything. So I shot it to put it down. Ya guess how that went over with the town? Its fine to let it lay there screaming but put it out of its misery ...lordy nooooooo. "Hey I saw that!" and the chase was on. Another half a town dead before they got me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:03 am
On the flip side Im REALLY tired of getting a bounty for nothing or something I didn't know would cause it. Im broke all the time because of it. I saw two guys fighting in town and one knocked the other out. I felt bad for him laying in the street so I picked him up and moved him to the sidewalk..BAM instant bounty for assault.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive seen all those. So fun.

I actually beat one guy into keeping quiet. First time ever. Unlike here in this video....

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yeah, the witness system is rather quirky. At least it's a little better than in the first game where apparently the wildlife would keep an eye out on you which is why you could get reported for doing something in the middle of nowhere. And as for keeping people quiet, you don't often get the opportunity, and it often only leads to more problems if someone sees you.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Red Dead in Real Life lol

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

just finished my 2nd play through, but this time on PC. Man this game is just great. The amount of detail still amazes me.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I reinstalled RDO but I cant leave town...or at least i cant find the sign post to fast travel. They used to show up on my map but no longer and its been so long I cant remember where the signs are. So unless I want to ride for days I cant leave town. Guess Ill redelete for the 100th time.

EDIT: seems to be a common issue though its the first for me. Some say ride out and they show up. Ill see tomorrow.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Fast travel doesn't become an option until after Chapter 2 starts, hoss.
just finished my 2nd play through, but this time on PC. Man this game is just great. The amount of detail still amazes me.
I had over 100 hours and saw something the other day - a story and and an area I'd never encountered during my play through. The amount of *stuff* in this game is absolutely mind blowing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I need to go back and finish the epilogue. And see how fat my horse can get.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:09 pm I need to go back and finish the epilogue. And see how fat my horse can get.
Lord yes! The epilogue was like another 15+ hours!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

…and I believe they added a dlc that allows you to feed your horse nothing but Mars Bars and Dr. Pepper for those of us trying to create HORSE-A-SAURUS!
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fast travel doesn't become an option until after Chapter 2 starts, hoss.
As I posted its RDO..not the main game.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ah, well...yeah. I missed that. Can't help there, sorry. Never played RDO.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

O own both but usually just play RDO. I cant get into the main game for some reason.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

For some reason RDR2 has failed to keep my interest after starting this on two different occasions. I keep hearing how great it is, so at some point I want to get back to it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Witcher 3 remains my favorite, but this is a very close second. If the next Witcher game has the scope/size/content of RDR2 I think I can die a happy man.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'd say RDR2 and GOW 2018 are tied for me in terms of narrative. If both of them were movies instead of games, they'd surely be up for Oscars. The story-arc Arthur goes through is transformative and bittersweet and is the kind of thing you normally see in movies, not games and fits in with some of the best Western stories ever told.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Reinstalled this thinking Id play a little of the holiday stuff. Nope. It wants to play in some off resolution in a box..I try to set it to 2560x1080 and it says my video card doesn't have enough memory to run it in that that resolution. Huh? I have a 970 with 4 gig...I used to run it in that res on lower cards with 2 gig.

Didn't feel like fooling with it so deleted it. May try that Fenix Rising ancient gods game I got for $10 off Ubisoft. Hear its good..just not assassins creed.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

970 with 4g ram isn't good enough to run at that resolution - 4g ram is the real killer.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:29 pm 970 with 4g ram isn't good enough to run at that resolution - 4g ram is the real killer.
Card was a gift that Im VERY grateful to have. Not much I can do about an upgrade for a year or more. I was hoping someone had upgraded and had an old 10xx series with 8 gig laying around but didn't ask after getting such a good card as this 970. My 770 died and then the gifted 950 died and I was back to a 440 or 270 ..so this rocks lol..until it doesn't.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:06 am Reinstalled this thinking Id play a little of the holiday stuff. Nope. It wants to play in some off resolution in a box..I try to set it to 2560x1080 and it says my video card doesn't have enough memory to run it in that that resolution. Huh? I have a 970 with 4 gig...I used to run it in that res on lower cards with 2 gig.

As someone who has often done my gaming on outdated and donated hardware, I get it. But part of the problem is your monitor, not the card. 2560x1080 uses about 1/3 more resources than 1920x1080 - it's literally rendering a 1/3 more of the world than a standard monitor. It also means that system requirements are useless - the recommended specs are always going to be too slow to run it well, as they're calculated for a standard resolution. Ultrawide and 4k monitors are both great things - but only if you're someone who can afford the hardware to actually run games at the much higher resolutions.
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:06 amDidn't feel like fooling with it so deleted it.
That's a problem. You no longer have the patience to 'fool with' games, but PC games usually require fiddling. Especially if you're wanting them to do something non-standard (like running on ultra-widescreen monitors.) If you're not willing to troubleshoot and fix games, you'd honestly be better off switching to console gaming.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:16 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:06 am Reinstalled this thinking Id play a little of the holiday stuff. Nope. It wants to play in some off resolution in a box..I try to set it to 2560x1080 and it says my video card doesn't have enough memory to run it in that that resolution. Huh? I have a 970 with 4 gig...I used to run it in that res on lower cards with 2 gig.

As someone who has often done my gaming on outdated and donated hardware, I get it. But part of the problem is your monitor, not the card. 2560x1080 uses about 1/3 more resources than 1920x1080 - it's literally rendering a 1/3 more of the world than a standard monitor. It also means that system requirements are useless - the recommended specs are always going to be too slow to run it well, as they're calculated for a standard resolution. Ultrawide and 4k monitors are both great things - but only if you're someone who can afford the hardware to actually run games at the much higher resolutions.
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:06 amDidn't feel like fooling with it so deleted it.
That's a problem. You no longer have the patience to 'fool with' games, but PC games usually require fiddling. Especially if you're wanting them to do something non-standard (like running on ultra-widescreen monitors.) If you're not willing to troubleshoot and fix games, you'd honestly be better off switching to console gaming.
Amen.

Considering Daehawk's profoundly limited budget and predilection for nostalgia...? I suspect he'd be even better off with a bargain-priced refurb mini PC set up as a Batocera retro gaming console, along the lines of what's shown here:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:16 pm
I would have agreed with you 5 years ago or so, but I’ve yet to run into any game that doesn’t run on my ultrawide. I think the only time I’ve had to fiddle with it was the first Plague game. Everything else from the last 5 to even 10 years though? Hit play and off I go.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I have started attempt number 3 to play this game. It looks amazing on the PS5. I was expecting some noticeable drop in graphics since this is a PS4 game, but if I didn’t know better I would think I was playing a game designed for the PS5.

I really dislike the opening prologue/tutorial. There’s a lot of good narrative and world building happening, but it doesn’t ever pull me in. Hopefully I can get out of this soon and get to the main game quickly.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I need to stress that this is very much a game that wants you to take your time and soak in the world. The pacing is a stroll from beginning to end with a few sprints sprinkled in. And I loved it for that, but if you are expecting it to kick up a notch it doesn't. Hell I add mods that make it even more realistic and slow paced. :lol:

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I think there's a dissonance in what people have been expecting. It's meant to be slower-paced, and I've enjoyed it because it's very different from other games of its type. Heck, I've even enjoyed it online with friends for several years despite its problems, due to the simple fact that it was a different kind of experience.

I've been hearing rumours of a possible RDR3, but I'm very cynical that it will happen, at least anytime soon. The treatment that RDR 2 got from the company and its lack of support, to me doesn't sound like a company that would be in any hurry to make a sequel. I feel they gave up too soon on RDR 2 when it was clear it was never going to make as much money as GTAO. The key is for them to understand that it likely never will, and just treat it like a different entity that still deserves support, serving a different demographic. RDR2 never got that, and that's what I feel is the main problem. I can't see them developing a sequel until they understand that, otherwise they'll just end up repeating the same mistakes when GTA6 Online is making a killing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I can't imagine that there won't be a RDR 3, as RDR 2 made them a ton of cash. RDO (Red Dead Online) didn't make them much and they abandoned it, but RDR2 was still the #8 top selling video game of all time.

There are doubtlessly piles of design docs sitting around somewhere between the brainstorming and concept art phases. They may even have a couple of people on it. But right now I'd bet that 99% of their attention is on GTA 6.