Diablo 3 - Season 28

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Diablo 3 - Season 28

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:31 pm "still"? Do you mean Campaign mode? We've been discussing Adventure mode already.
Sorry, I haven't played in a couple of seasons - I'm pulling the terminology from memory and probably getting it wrong. When I do a seasonal character, I level up via the story/campaign (by whatever term they call it.) It's the slowest way, but I don't feel the need to rush, and I'd rather enjoy the experience of playing the game rather than just power leveling and rushing to the grind.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:18 pm
TheMix wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:31 pm "still"? Do you mean Campaign mode? We've been discussing Adventure mode already.
Sorry, I haven't played in a couple of seasons - I'm pulling the terminology from memory and probably getting it wrong. When I do a seasonal character, I level up via the story/campaign (by whatever term they call it.) It's the slowest way, but I don't feel the need to rush, and I'd rather enjoy the experience of playing the game rather than just power leveling and rushing to the grind.
That's what I thought you meant. But I wanted to confirm. I actually did that the last few times. I did different classes because the dialogue that you get is very different. It's almost like getting a different story. This time, though, I didn't feel like spending the effort. But I certainly see the appeal. Especially if you haven't played in a couple of years. It's nice to watch the cut scenes again and listen to all the dialogue, read all the books, etc.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:57 pm You think those requirements are rough! :D I'm up to around 23. I'm now stuck on needing an Ancient Puzzle ring. So I just have to play and hope for a very rare version of a rare drop.... We'll see how long that keeps me engaged.
I just wanted to throw this out. When I got to this point I had 4 puzzle rings in the stash, no ancients had dropped. I decided to sacrifice all my mats reforging in hopes of an ancient. Got the ancient first try.

:D

Just need to top up on Death's Breath for the next one. I think I'm around 30 shy so just a few minutes there. They are starting to get kind of greedy for the final upgrades that I decided weren't that important!

I still only have the very first primal. Not a single one has dropped. I think I have gotten one primal beyond that guaranteed first GR70 one in all the seasons I have played.

Also interestingly, I am getting close to passing my cumulative paragon level this season. (It helps that is a pretty low bar.)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:18 pm When I do a seasonal character, I level up via the story/campaign (by whatever term they call it.) It's the slowest way, but I don't feel the need to rush, and I'd rather enjoy the experience of playing the game rather than just power leveling and rushing to the grind.
I find fun in the progression of power that only really starts when you hit 70 and then once you have a solid build and it becomes a grind for augmenting and perfecting, I walk away. I have never augmented an item. I am not sure I've ever leveled a gem past 50.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:52 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:18 pm When I do a seasonal character, I level up via the story/campaign (by whatever term they call it.) It's the slowest way, but I don't feel the need to rush, and I'd rather enjoy the experience of playing the game rather than just power leveling and rushing to the grind.
I find fun in the progression of power that only really starts when you hit 70 and then once you have a solid build and it becomes a grind for augmenting and perfecting, I walk away. I have never augmented an item. I am not sure I've ever leveled a gem past 50.
I got into completing the Seasons. Initially for the extra bank tabs. I don't need them during the seasons, but I'm a bit of a hoarder on the non-Season side.

But once the Conquests are done and the last Chapter is put to bed... I'm usually done.

There is something that I find very satisfying about the gameplay. Which is why I keep coming back. But that only goes so far. :D I have gems that are 70+ - lots on the non-Season side. This time I leveled 3 for the Conquest. I like to get the right gear for the build and try for GR90-100. I generally stop around there. I don't see any reason to keep driving. Once I can easily blow through a GR90, I'm usually pretty much done with the character.

I'll do the one augment that is required for Chapter completion; but I don't think I've ever done a second one.

Basically, once I run out of a goal that is part of the game (like the Chapters), I pretty much lose interest. I don't really go in for "personal" goals, like "ooo... let's see if I can hit GR 120!" Blah. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:50 pm
TheMix wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:57 pm You think those requirements are rough! :D I'm up to around 23. I'm now stuck on needing an Ancient Puzzle ring. So I just have to play and hope for a very rare version of a rare drop.... We'll see how long that keeps me engaged.
I just wanted to throw this out. When I got to this point I had 4 puzzle rings in the stash, no ancients had dropped. I decided to sacrifice all my mats reforging in hopes of an ancient. Got the ancient first try.

:D
Very nice! For my Barbarian I like to run with the Bul'kathos weapons instead of the ones they recommend. I hate having to worry about Fury. This time I upgraded two Rares and got both pieces of the set. Then I did a third one and got Ambo's Pride. I was so happy!

Then I went through ~3 bags of Rares trying to get a weapon I needed to do the set dungeon. And the happiness oozed away... (along with all my Death's Breaths). :)

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:13 pm Basically, once I run out of a goal that is part of the game (like the Chapters), I pretty much lose interest. I don't really go in for "personal" goals, like "ooo... let's see if I can hit GR 120!" Blah. :D
I don't think I have ever mastered a set dungeon, so no free bank tabs for me. Of course, it hardly matters because since seasons have been a thing I haven't really even played anything but seasons so that seasonal loot all just fades away into the ether.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

In case you ever change your mind, the Barbarian Immortal Kings set dungeon is stupid easy. Well... when you remember to dismiss your follower so he doesn't kill any of the mobs causing you to fail it twice before you figure it out... :grund:

Black Lives Matter

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Believe it or not I've never done much with Adventure mode. I've played through the campaign multiple times with various characters, and I've dabbled in seasons, but not to any extent. So I'm having quite a bit of fun trying to complete the chapters in this one. Really all I'm doing is trying to scratch my Diablo itch before the D4 beta.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The staff of herding may be the end of my progression. Everything else I was able to make progress while doing fun and interesting things. Endlessly searching for Chiltara and her giving me nothing when I do find her is really boring AND annoying.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:50 pm The staff of herding may be the end of my progression. Everything else I was able to make progress while doing fun and interesting things. Endlessly searching for Chiltara and her giving me nothing when I do find her is really boring AND annoying.
Amen. Chiltara was definitely annoying. Didn't help that I didn't realize there were two areas of battlefields and went to the wrong one for the first dozen times or so.

I ended up watching some netflix on the other pc to make things bearable. At least each run was quick. I used my whirlwind/rend barb, so movement speed was increased. And I didn't need to stop for much.

Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Made it to paragon 136 with a Necro and I think that's it for me. It's not fun anymore. Don't care to grind to get a good set to get to a GR high enough to get the 1,100 blood shards to unlock the next altar level. Was more fun getting to this point than I expected though.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Not sure what Necro build you are running, but the Death Nova one is super easy and a lot of fun. I was farming GR100 in 3-4 minutes. Even with fewer ancient pieces, it would be fairly easy.

That said, I also know that it can be pretty easy to get bored with D3. :D

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not sure how to control out my barb and what energies it takes to do it yet..I kinda want to leap with right click and spin with left click then have other stuff assigned the the 1-4 keys for special extra hard attacks. Just want to flow around the map being a spinning machine of blades and death.

Like a spinning Phantasm ball lol Tasmanian spinneret.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My paragon level on my season 28 character is close to my non-season paragon level. It is the highest I have ever gotten on a season character. I think it ended up around 760-ish. After getting the staff of herding, I played a bit longer, but needing primals to advance the altar pretty much took it out of me. I got GR110 that was needed for the altar, but didn't bother going past that as it was taking more than a few minutes to grind enemies down. My wizard's survivability was actually still pretty good at that level. I would have had to sacrifice that to improve damage meaningfully. Or done more grinding for augments or upgrades/primals.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:33 pm Not sure how to control out my barb and what energies it takes to do it yet..I kinda want to leap with right click and spin with left click then have other stuff assigned the the 1-4 keys for special extra hard attacks. Just want to flow around the map being a spinning machine of blades and death.

Like a spinning Phantasm ball lol Tasmanian spinneret.
You want the Whirlwind Rend build. But get rid of Leap. It messes up the flow of WW. You do need to include Stomp in order to get the defense bonus. You could substitute Leap if you really "had" to, but I wouldn't recommend it. Stomp works much better with the flow.
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/barbarian- ... the-wastes

I don't use the Ancient Spear skill at all. So I consider that slot available for other stuff if you want. And I switched to the Bul'Kathos weapons so that I don't have to worry about Fury generation.

It's been my go-to build since they created it a few seasons ago. Very easy to play. Just hold the right mouse button to move around and periodically stomp.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:35 pm My paragon level on my season 28 character is close to my non-season paragon level. It is the highest I have ever gotten on a season character. I think it ended up around 760-ish. After getting the staff of herding, I played a bit longer, but needing primals to advance the altar pretty much took it out of me. I got GR110 that was needed for the altar, but didn't bother going past that as it was taking more than a few minutes to grind enemies down. My wizard's survivability was actually still pretty good at that level. I would have had to sacrifice that to improve damage meaningfully. Or done more grinding for augments or upgrades/primals.
I'm impressed you got to 110 with a Wizard. I've never been able to get comfortable playing one.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still running my barb and having fun. I call him Smackinator. Hos character name is Herculoid cause I already used Thundarr and didn't want to delete him to reuse the name. He just smacks the shit out of everything until its dead. Doesn't really take damage unless its a really tough unique boss. I use any wep thats good. Right now Im using a giant ass hammer so in my head its always hammer time! The sounds the game provides makes it even better as it has some hammer thumping sounds and squish sounds as Im whirling around causing blunt force death. Really not changing my skills out just upgrading the ones I like to use with runes to enhance them. Once I find a skill / attack I like I usually stick with that one. Mostly just my left and right mouse buttons do the work and sometimes Ill toss in a 1-4 key smash to hurry something to death if its taking a moment longer than my ADHD brain thinks it should.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And done... 22 GR91s... 8800 Blood Shards... 352 purchases from Kadala... Finally nabbed the last 2 Primals I needed in order to buy the last potion upgrade from the Altar.

Probably play a bit more. I still have 13 keys that I can use to pick up some 125 level gems for upgrading.

I might level a monk. The Tempest Rush build looks pretty easy. We'll see if anything else grabs my attention. Not feeling very motivated for games lately.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After being in act 4 the bastions keep a while nothing can touch me. I can wade and leap into anything with no fear. I can not lose much health..that I notice and if I do I gain it back so fast as to be nothing. I can also spin almost forever. My two peeves are I haven't found amazing weapons. I either use a 2 hander in the 180 damage range or two 1 hand weps in the 100 damage each range. Not happy with either solution. Also Im a necro fan so not having my own little army and only 1 followers I feel kinda naked even though Im a God on the battlefield. I kinda miss just standing around smiling while my wave of minions do the work.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:09 am After being in act 4 the bastions keep a while nothing can touch me. I can wade and leap into anything with no fear. I can not lose much health..that I notice and if I do I gain it back so fast as to be nothing. I can also spin almost forever. My two peeves are I haven't found amazing weapons. I either use a 2 hander in the 180 damage range or two 1 hand weps in the 100 damage each range.
If you are playing on "normal" difficulty, no wonder nothing can touch you. Also no wonder you are not finding any good loot.

I know you enjoy just equipping whatever looks good but you can't get any good gear at low difficulty levels, and you can't progress to harder difficulties without having some synergies with your gear and abilities.

Weapon damage is almost meaningless so hard to tell whether what you are using is any good at your level (those numbers do seem to be very low level - in the 30s, maybe?)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

(those numbers do seem to be very low level - in the 30s, maybe?)
Ya he is about in that range lvl. I dont play mp or online. Just taking him through the story casually. Its my final play through. I just created him this week for this run through.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The entire game of Diablo 3 Tyrial is talking about getting the black soulstone so he can destroy thereby destroying the evils within. But at the end of the game he says he cannot destroy the black soulstone and thats why he tries to hide it. WHat changes?

Also I enjoy just smashing stuff in the world like wagons and stuff all over the place. But in D4 you can only destroy red outlined items and they are few and far between.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:52 pm The entire game of Diablo 3 Tyrial is talking about getting the black soulstone so he can destroy thereby destroying the evils within. But at the end of the game he says he cannot destroy the black soulstone and thats why he tries to hide it. WHat changes?

Also I enjoy just smashing stuff in the world like wagons and stuff all over the place. But in D4 you can only destroy red outlined items and they are few and far between.
Actually you can destroy just about everything you see in the environment, it's just the red things contain items. If you do a non-targeted skill, like an AOE centered on your character, it will destroy everything around you. Tables, barrels, wagons, etc. Just about everything in-game is destructible like that.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hyena wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:58 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:52 pm The entire game of Diablo 3 Tyrial is talking about getting the black soulstone so he can destroy thereby destroying the evils within. But at the end of the game he says he cannot destroy the black soulstone and thats why he tries to hide it. WHat changes?

Actually you can destroy just about everything you see in the environment, it's just the red things contain items. If you do a non-targeted skill, like an AOE centered on your character, it will destroy everything around you. Tables, barrels, wagons, etc. Just about everything in-game is destructible like that.
Maybe it was just my necro's main attacked was decompose so it really didn't do physical damage to item just mobs. But I could destroy the item containing red outlined ones.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:35 pm
Hyena wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:58 pm

Maybe it was just my necro's main attacked was decompose so it really didn't do physical damage to item just mobs. But I could destroy the item containing red outlined ones.
Yeah, my necro had Blood Nova and Corpse Explosion, and that would clear the screen of anything and everything.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My barb has so many thorns that anything that touches him instantly falls dead or explodes. Kinda funny to just walk and watch. Even yellow and purple bosses. And now even the two wraith cemetery bosses in Westmarch lol..they tried their barb spin attack..spin spin ARIIEEGH!! Fun. Though it does make it more difficult to hit anything to build fury. But really dont need it right now with all these thorns.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I generally play the seasons up through Chapter IV in order to get the easy unlocks, then retire that character. This time, with the altar mechanic, I decided to try and push further, so I started a necromancer (after years of hearing how powerful they were.) I powered up to 70 in a day in Adventure Mode, then knocked off the remaining chapter content to unlock my set, mostly playing at Torment IV.

I picked the wrong season to try a necromancer. The set that they give you this season is powerful, but is almost useless without a couple of very specific, very rare items (Haunted Visions and Gelmindor's Marrow Guards). Without those, I'm going into the end game without a starting set, which has been particularly painful, as it means that I'm having to use builds without set bonuses, and most of what I need to do to advance requires more oomph than you can get without a set.

So now I need to be able to handle rifts at Torment VI to advance any further in the season (I currently die in seconds), and the altar requires items that only drop in meaningful quantities at higher difficulties than I can handle. Searching advice on how to grind out the things I need (like Blood Shards and insane amounts of Forgotten Souls, or 50 Veiled Crystal for every attempt at one of my needed items)? They all say the same thing: Farm the highest Torment level of rifts you can do in three minutes or less. With no set gear, there is no Torment rift I can do in under 10.

So, slow, sad grind time, or else give up and start a new character that doesn't come into the endgame gimped.

/edit - also, I'm supposed to be running with the Scoundrel right now, but I can't get Dexterity items (Necros only get Intelligence items), and the answer everywhere is, "Take some good Int items, make an alt with Dex, and reroll the stats in the cube." Except that every time you do so takes 50 Forgotten Souls, which is insanely expensive (I have 13, and have been trying to get more for the altar for since last night.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:58 pm Frustrated rambling
I figured out the problem: I need to stop going to Icy Veins (a stats-and-builds site.)

I’ve been going to Icy Veins for WoW for a long, long time now, and have used them for Diablo in past seasons. This time? They were absolutely the source of the problem.

Their guides were very clear that until you have the amulet and bracers, the season set and associated builds were unusable.

I need to do more experimenting to find my sweet spot, but switching away from the Icy Veins ‘Fresh 70’ build (what they suggest to run until you get the missing items) to a 'build it as you go' build from Maxroll that uses the set without the extras, I went from dying repeatedly to finish a Torment 6 run in 30 minutes to doing a Torment 10 run in 10 minutes without ever going in to the red. I just gave Zoltun Kule a try at Torment 12, and dropped him in about five seconds.

Stupid Icy Veins with their stupid bad advice. Someone should sock 'em, right in the kisser!