Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

Post by Blackhawk »

Fardaza wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:50 pm Success! The video that Blackhawk linked helped me to wipe and reinstall Skyrim SE! I was able to soul trap a wolf as soon as I got the spell! :horse:

Only added in 7 mods so far, all from the official mod list inside the game. It appears that many of the mods I had been using are not officially sponsored in the Creation Club?

I wonder now if I use Vortex again and add some of the mods back in if it will kill my game again. Oh well. I guess the old adage may have to be followed. One. Mod. At. A. Time.

Thanks for your help!
Creation Club is Bethesda's paid mods scheme, something that a big swathe of the community hates. It's also extremely limited as to what the mods are allowed to do. Much of what sets the Legendary Edition apart is that it includes a bunch of CC content.

Are you running the Legendary Edition? Do yourself a favor, and work from the STEP LE guide. Read the how-to on proper installation, and pick from the list - it is mods that are well-known and heavily tested for stability. You do not have to install the full list, but if you limit yourself to what's there, you'll have an easier time of it. I do recommend that the unofficial patch is a must-have.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:13 am
Fardaza wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:50 pm Success! The video that Blackhawk linked helped me to wipe and reinstall Skyrim SE! I was able to soul trap a wolf as soon as I got the spell! :horse:

Only added in 7 mods so far, all from the official mod list inside the game. It appears that many of the mods I had been using are not officially sponsored in the Creation Club?

I wonder now if I use Vortex again and add some of the mods back in if it will kill my game again. Oh well. I guess the old adage may have to be followed. One. Mod. At. A. Time.

Thanks for your help!
Creation Club is Bethesda's paid mods scheme, something that a big swathe of the community hates. It's also extremely limited as to what the mods are allowed to do. Much of what sets the Legendary Edition apart is that it includes a bunch of CC content.

Are you running the Legendary Edition? Do yourself a favor, and work from the STEP LE guide. Read the how-to on proper installation, and pick from the list - it is mods that are well-known and heavily tested for stability. You do not have to install the full list, but if you limit yourself to what's there, you'll have an easier time of it. I do recommend that the unofficial patch is a must-have.
What is LE? Never heard of it. I have the Anniversary Edition after purchasing it while trying to resolve my issues.

Edit: Wait, you mean the original version before Special Edition? I still show the link to the basic version in Steam.

After briefly looking at the Step guide you linked, I have a few questions. What is the difference between Step and Wabbajack? Do people prefer one over the other? Use both?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, that's my fault, getting my versions of Skyrim mixed up (with a special middle finger for Bethesda's 'marketing' scheme of releasing slightly tweaked versions of the same game over and over as 'editions' with non-standard names, and fracturing the community every time.)

Here is what there is:
~Skyrim (rel. 2011, plus multiple DLC sold separately) (Many mods were made, broken with every patch, and had to be updated over and over.)

~Skyrim Legendary Edition (rel 2013, all DLC included, basically the GOTY/Gold) (Many mods were broken, and had to be fixed)

~Skyrim Special Edition (rel 2016, marketed as a 'remaster', although it was really just an engine upgrade to allow them to rerelease it on newer consoles, and given to Steam owners of the original as a free upgrade.) (As the engine had been changed, essentially every mod was destroyed and had to be rebuilt from the ground up. It took a long time, but most eventually made the switch or were replaced, and this became the 'gold standard' edition.)

~Skyrim Anniversary Edition (released six months ago, this is basically them giving away all of the 'Creation Club' DLC for free. Creation Club was Bethesda's second attempt at paid mods, after the original attempt to charge for free mods backfired spectacularly. It was never popular, which is probably why they're tossing them in for yet another attempt to sell copies of Skyrim. Part of the problem is that they're extremely limited as to what they can do, as the goal was to add microtransactions to the consoles, which prohibit use of things like script extenders (SKSE), the core utility that runs at the heart of 90% of the best free mods. Mostly they're just cosmetics.) (Needless to say, it broke essentially every mod again, and it's been 11 years - most of the community has either moved on, or they've said, "Screw it, we're sticking with the SE."

So, in the end, most mods for 'Skyrim' (the original release) are horribly out of date. Most modern, up-to-date mods are designed around the Special Edition, and that is unlikely to change. If you want to have a modded Skyrim, you want Skyrim: Special Edition. Anniversary is good for playing vanilla plus Creation Club. It's worth checking your Steam library to see if you have the Special Edition, as it was given away for free for a while. Luckily, there is a downgrade patch that is supposed to turn the Anniversary Edition into the Special Edition, but I haven't tried it myself. (NOTE - I see that some Wabbajack lists have AE support.)
Fardaza wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:56 am After briefly looking at the Step guide you linked, I have a few questions. What is the difference between Step and Wabbajack? Do people prefer one over the other? Use both?
Ok, keeping in mind that I linked the wrong version - I was crossing my Legendary with my Anniversary (thanks, Bethesda.)

STEP Project (correct link for SE) is, in their own words:
Created by TheCompiler (Daniele Ferraro), Step is a collaborative project with input from the modding community, technical volunteers, and project administrators. The goal is to provide tested and validated methods for establishing and maintaining an enhanced SkyrimSE mod build. Our guides provide detailed, well-tested build instructions for a very stable game with an enhanced, vanilla experience.

The Step team collects information from the modding community through extensive mod testing, detailed reviews, feedback, and suggestions exchanged on the Forums. Posting rules apply, so be sure to read and follow them.
In other words, it is instructions for how to mod, combined with a list of carefully chosen mods that will take you from a fresh install to heavily modded in a detailed, step-by-step structure. It is a daunting task - I usually set aside two days to install and tweak it before I start playing. But that's not why I linked it - it is a very heavily curated list of mods that have been extensively tested and are up to date. In other words, it's a safe list to choose from, whereas pulling what's popular from the Nexus and lead to all sorts of problems if what's popular wasn't designed correctly (leading to things like huge imbalances, orphaned scripts, bugs locked into your saves forever, and - eventually - corrupted saves.) So if you're wanting to just pick and choose a few, pick from their recommendations.

Wabbajack (and here is the link for Skyrim Special Edition - Wabbajack handles multiple games) is a modding engine.

What it is is pre-designed modlists planned by experienced Skyrim modders, heavily tested and put through Wabbajack's on QA (you don't just get random community stuff - it's been vetted.) Each list has a goal. Some give a simple, basic setup intended to maintain the Vanilla feel and act as a baseline for 'custom' modding. Some add many hundreds of 'extra content' mods (one lists 700 mods.) Others change it into a brutal Soulslike, or a hardcore survival sim, and others are all about incredible visuals (if you have the machine to run it.)

The downside is that some of them are designed to work with a very, very specific set of mods, and adding others (or removing some) can cause real problems (except that those that say they're intended as a baseline install for other mods.) The reason is that in order to make them work together, the author often has custom mods and patches included to combine some of the mods, which means that removing some can break all of them. If you get one of the more elaborate lists, plan on playing it with everything as installed. Again, not all. Some are designed specifically to allow you to add your own mods. Just read the ones that appeal - they all have extensive documentation.

The thing about Wabbajack is that you're not just getting the mods to install. You're getting the whole package. You're getting the mods, the tools, the ini tweaks, the files, everything, all installed. It's like you had a full-time Skyrim modder come into your house and install their custom mod list for you, configure it, tweak it, and provide you with a manual before they left.

And that's not all: You're getting an incredibly easy install. You will probably spend 30 minutes to an hour reading the instructions and setting up the base game and folders. You then click 'go', run some errands*, and when you come back, the whole thing - mods, tools, configs, etc - will all be downloaded and installed for you, hands-off. You may need to adjust a couple of things (the documentation will tell you what), but that's basically it. It's minimal hassle, and minimal clicking. It is an hour of actual work to fully mod the game (not counting download time.)

*How long it takes to install obviously depends on various factors. A mod list with 700 visual mods will take far longer than a mod list with a few dozen mechanical mods. Internet speed is a big factor. And if you're going to do a Wabbajack install, I'd consider getting a one-month premium Nexus membership (about six bucks), as that will give you considerably faster download speeds from the Nexus. If you've got slow internet, you may need to let if run overnight.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Thank you BH for that detailed answer! That's a big help. I have the SE version on Steam. The AE shows up as a DLC inside of that. I'll have to think about it a bit and decide what I want to do.

I'm just happy playing my (now 8th level) spellsword with conjuration, destruction, and one-handed weapons. The soul trap spell works now, so I'm happy. I think I may try to finish some of the CC quests that I've never seen before just to see what they do. I got a cool set of daedric armor at level 3 or 4 as a result of one of the quests. We'll see what happens.

Thanks again!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I would recommend at least the Static Mesh Improvement Mod and the Unofficial Patch for your version. They're must-haves, even on unmodded playthroughs.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:32 pm I would recommend at least the Static Mesh Improvement Mod and the Unofficial Patch for your version. They're must-haves, even on unmodded playthroughs.
I have those two going in my current playthru.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skyrim Online Co-Op Mod Gets a Full Release This Week
Skyrim Together Reborn, a new and improved co-operative mod for Skyrim is being released later this week, on July 8.

Skyrim Together Reborn allows up to eight players to play Skyrim together, with more or less everything in the game synced up. Quests, the contents of chests, audio and subtitled dialogue and much more are fully synced between players' games, and PvP can even be enabled if wanted.

As reported by PC Gamer, the mod from Tilted Online is a remaster of sorts of the modding team's previous version of the mod, simply called Skyrim Together, but this new version was built from the ground up and features vast improvements.

That's not to say it will work flawlessly though, as the team noted in a Reddit post that it's incredibly difficult to turn single player games into multiplayer games, especially as most members are volunteers contributing in their free time.

"The mod won't be perfect. It will occasionally crash, some quests will break, there will be bugs. This is not fixable," the post said. "This is just the reality of making a multiplayer mod instead of having a massive studio like Bethesda make a multiplayer game.

"Still, it's playable, it's fun, and it's a lot better than the old Skyrim Together mod, which was the goal of Reborn."
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Fardaza wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:21 pm I'm just happy playing my (now 8th level) spellsword with conjuration, destruction, and one-handed weapons. The soul trap spell works now, so I'm happy. I think I may try to finish some of the CC quests that I've never seen before just to see what they do. I got a cool set of daedric armor at level 3 or 4 as a result of one of the quests. We'll see what happens.
I went ahead and purchased the Anniversary Edition. I'm only using the base mods that come with that. My newest character reached level 40 last night. She's a one-handed tank in heavy armor that uses flames from the left hand while attacking with the right. What a beast. Most fights I don't even have to use heals. Somewhere early on there was a new quest that gave me a sword called Goldbrand. Wow! I don't need any other weapons unless I just want to avoid using its charges. I also got a quest (or maybe just a lucky kill?) that awarded me with dragonbone armor and legs. Another potent set of gauntlets is pretty sweet also. I think they're called Wraithbone? They're part of a set, but I don't use the second part, and don't know where to find the third. I can get beat on pretty heavily and still keep moving.

Alchemy is up to 91. Some of the potions I make are so valuable, I can't find a buyer! :lol: They do level up the skill pretty fast though.
Enchanting is up to 71, and I haven't put a single point into the skill tree. I'm just capturing souls and using the soul gems to improve gear I find. Disenchanting the items I find has contributed heavily to the skill advance also.
Funny, but the skills I use all the time (one-handed, destruction, and heavy armor) are only about level 50 or 60. They level so slowly even with the 15% bonus from the stone that levels all skills quicker.

I've got to say that I really like the base AE. Some of the quests are a little wonky, but they keep me interested because they're new to me.

I used the Start a New Life option to begin with. I ended up shipwrecked in the northern sea west of Winterhold. This was a wonderful start. Made it to Winterhold safely. Joining the College gave me a free place to stay and stash all my stuff. Next I trecked on down to Windhelm. I had to steal some armor from one of the upstairs rooms in a shop because I didn't have any gold yet. A little later the guy sent a group to attack me for being a thief. :doh: I didn't think anyone had seen me!

I didn't check out what happened in Helgen until almost level 38. What a great stress free way to start a game. The lack of "you've got to go to see the Greybeards NOW" lurking in my mind has given this such a different feel. The dragons appearing now are more meaningful. I am enjoying this playthrough better than any in a long time!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's a very good game and I'm glad you're enjoying it. Bet it's been a year since the last time I played it. I've never added any mods other than what came with it. I too have the latest version.
After playing FO4 with mods I am thinking about it with Skyrim too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This guys game looks spiffy and all but theres just something 'off' about it all to me.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Impressive. Makes me want to start a flat game again. Since I doubt most of those mods would work in VR.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

It looks off to me because I never play in 3rd person. I think I'm done with Skyrim but it is pretty looking.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Third person in Bethesda games always looks wrong to me. Some prefer it, but I find that it takes me out of the game more than anything else.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I only use third person to scout around. Then I go back to first person for awhile. I switch back and forth but only to have a better look around.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just realized today's date. Its 11/11/22 which means this is not only the same day Skyrim released but its also exactly 11 years since then. Nice. Oh man what memories.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Skyrim is great, but man, they should have put out a sequel by now. I guess, I can blame ESO.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

JCC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:30 pm Skyrim is great, but man, they should have put out a sequel by now. I guess, I can blame ESO.
The five yearly Skyrim releases probably didn't hurry things up either.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I think I'm doing something really wrong, but I can't figure out what. Help? :oops:

I have a brand new computer with high enough specs that Skyrim defaults to Ultra High quality graphics. I got a 1TB secondary SSD (Western Digital Blue) to accommodate larger game files. After 2 years of waiting, Spectrum finally brought fiber-optic internet to me! Wabbajack here I come!

So here's the issues I've been having. I thought I'd try a Wabbajack modlist. Read all the documentation. Totally wiped all remnants of Skyrim following a video somewhere way up thread. Clean install. Download all the CC content for AE.

Septimus 3 looked good. Downloaded all the files. Installed. Was having fun, but decided it wasn't substantially different from vanilla. Then around level 6 I got a couple of random game freezes. Not too terribly upset. Was thinking of a new modpack anyway.

The Phoenix Flavour - Dragon's Edition was next. Total wipe. Clean install. I really liked the way this one looked and found a couple of new quests that were very cool. Enjoying it a lot. Then around level 6 or 7 I started getting random game freezes again. I was not happy. Total wipe. Clean install. Try TPF:DE again. Same thing. Random game freezes after about 6 levels. Angry now.

Dragonborn was next. Everything was going well. Not a whole lot different from vanilla, but the mod Blade & Blunt was making things interesting. (I think the other modlists had that too.) At level 15, every combat suddenly became almost unwinnable. One enemy I could handle. Two or three I was dead. :evil: :evil:

Now I don't know what to do. It's unplayable at only adept level. For grins I set it to apprentice difficulty, and I was still getting stomped.

What am I doing wrong?

Septimus and TPF:DE
Random freezes after following all install directions?

Dragonborn Precipitous difficulty increase? (I haven't put a single spec point into smithing, alchemy, or enchanting. So no underpowered leveling.)

And don't get me started on the uselessness of healing potions or food. They take so long to recharge, they're almost useless. The only time they work is when I manage to run away and let them do their thing.

Help please!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well... channeled healing spell maybe? But that only possibly addresses the result, not the cause. No idea why difficulty would ramp. And not sure what to tell you about the freezes. Sounds like a drag. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sry...its been years since I modded up Skyrim with like 100 mods and also Ive never used that mod pack.

A couple suggestions online are to turn off autosaves and better yet grab LOOT and run sort mods or whatever at the top.

https://loot.github.io/
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:42 pm Sry...its been years since I modded up Skyrim with like 100 mods and also Ive never used that mod pack.

A couple suggestions online are to turn off autosaves and better yet grab LOOT and run sort mods or whatever at the top.

https://loot.github.io/
He's doing Wabbajack. He doesn't need Loot. The entire point of those is that someone has already done all the work to make sure they work smoothly.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Is there a Discord channel you can ask in? I did install a Skyrim Wabbajack, but haven't played it. I do know that the Fallout 4 one I installed has a Discord channel where people will help.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some quick checking:

Septimus has been retired due to unsolvable issues.

Dragonborn has poisoned search results ("Wabbajack" and "Dragonborn" bring back all sorts of irrelevant results for obvious reasons), but Blade and Blunt is a combat difficulty mod. It's intentionally difficult. According to the mod page, there is a plugin that keeps the mechanics but restores the difficulties to vanilla. With this being a Wabbajack, though, you should be cautious about making that sort of change without consulting the author, as there are often custom patches involved that can end up causing issues.

As such, I'd agree with The Mix - check for the official mod pack Discord, or see if there is support for it on the Wabbajack Discord.

Wabbajack really is an impressive tool, but make sure you research the 'big mods' and overhauls that are included before you choose which one to play to make sure the author's vision is one that appeals to you.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:18 am Some quick checking:

Septimus has been retired due to unsolvable issues.

Dragonborn has poisoned search results ("Wabbajack" and "Dragonborn" bring back all sorts of irrelevant results for obvious reasons), but Blade and Blunt is a combat difficulty mod. It's intentionally difficult. According to the mod page, there is a plugin that keeps the mechanics but restores the difficulties to vanilla. With this being a Wabbajack, though, you should be cautious about making that sort of change without consulting the author, as there are often custom patches involved that can end up causing issues.

As such, I'd agree with The Mix - check for the official mod pack Discord, or see if there is support for it on the Wabbajack Discord.

Wabbajack really is an impressive tool, but make sure you research the 'big mods' and overhauls that are included before you choose which one to play to make sure the author's vision is one that appeals to you.
I guess I should just delete all the Septimus stuff then.

I knew that B&B was supposed to be difficult, but it didn't seem overly so until I hit level 15. Then...bam!
I was reading the mod listing again and saw that I can go in and change it if I want to. I may do that.

My other issue is with Discord. How in the world does that work? It makes almost no sense to me. I've never seen such a confusing mess of messages and folders and whatevers! :?
I vaguely remember posting something when in a funk last week. I got an email yesterday saying someone had responded. I clicked the link and there was no mention of me or anything I said. HUH? How is that responding to me?

I played some more with Dragonborn last night. It went better, but I had to reload many times and even ended up changing my destination so as not to cross the same paths where I was getting particularly stomped.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Regarding Discord... I feel ya. I had some issues with my Fallout 4 Wabbajack and had to join. It was challenging. In my case, there were multiple channels. So I had to figure out which channel. Then I think I used the search function. I didn't actually have to ask any questions. Which made things easier for me.

On the left menu, however, one of the circles should be for the Discord server you joined. Once you select it, you'll likely have a bunch of channels that you'll have to look through. In my case there is a sub-heading of "Modlist Support". But in the upper right there should be a search bar. That may be more helpful. I just can't remember if it searches all the channels or just the one you currently have selected.

Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

TheMix wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:50 am I just can't remember if it searches all the channels or just the one you currently have selected.
By default it should search the entire server, but you can specify channels.

I just think of Discord channels as persistent chat sessions. Once I stopped trying to think of it as a forum system, it stopped being so confusing.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Thanks that will help. I'll try again later when I have time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, Discord is a pain to get used to for those used to more 'constant' forms of interaction (like forums.) For good or ill, though, it's where a lot of game developers (and most modders) have gone to provide support these days. I do think it's terrible as a forum replacement, although it has some great tools. Discord is the universal go-to for voice communication in games these days - it's killed TeamSpeak and Ventrilo. The group I play with a couple of times a week uses it for voice. My family even use our own server within the house when we're gaming and want to talk, as we're usually wearing headphones anyway. Thanks to all of that, I have spent quite a lot of time with it.

Simple version: The circles on the left are, as Mix said, servers. Think of them as individual groups/forums. The one at the top (blue with the Discord logo) is where you look for PMs and your friends list.

To the right of that are the 'channels' for the server you're in. Think of them as sub-forums, individual sections dedicated to specific topics. If they have a megaphone, that channel is for announcements. If they have a pound sign (#), it is a text channel. If it has a speaker, it is a voice channel. You just click on a channel to browse it.

The right side is the a list of people in your current server.

Notifications when you join a server can be annoying. By default, you get them for all sorts of crap. If you right click a server (left side), select 'Mute' and 'Until I Turn it Back On', it'll silence most of the notifications. If you still get more than you want, right click the server, select Notification Settings, and suppress role mentions, @everyone, and @here. (Roles are like interests to keep severs from showing you everything under the sun - if Discord were OO, there might be roles for Gaming, EBG, and R&P. The roles you select would determine which 'subforums' you'd see. The @everyone and @here are like forum-wide announcements - everyone is everyone on the server, here is everyone in the current channel (subforum.) )
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I was out of touch from the internet and my computer for 20 days. When I got back I continued my Skyrim playthrough using the Dragonborn modpack on Wabbajack. After struggling with it initially, it became a lot of fun as I got further into it.

I'm currently level 23 as a sneaking archer and one-hander. I just finished the main questline for only the second or third time in 10 years. Now everything else seems like a letdown!

I could try the Wyrmstooth package of mods included in Dragonborn, but again, I feel like I'm doing it just because I should rather than I want to. Not sure whether to continue or try a new character with a new Wabbajack package. I might even try The Phoenix Flavor: Dragon Edition again and see if it will play nice and not freeze up on me like last time.

Decisions, decisions.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Half my playthroughs have been a sneaky archer. Altho last time I played I was a heavy weapons Orc cause I got tired of playing sneaky archers.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im always an archer as I like range but not magic in these games. I think I did try an orc or half orc or something once..people didn't like me so that got tiring.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Yeah, must have started Elder Scrolls games a dozen times among all the versions and I have successfully made a mage or fighter exactly once.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I'm currently playing a one-handed fighter that casts flames or lightning with the other hand. It's hard when you can't block anything. Still enjoying it though.

I've come to the conclusion that a companion is almost necessary for many of these builds. When 3-5 baddies attack all at once, you can't fight them all off by yourself.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As an alternative to companions, learn summons. In fact, an archer/summoner is an effective combination.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:50 am As an alternative to companions, learn summons. In fact, an archer/summoner is an effective combination.
Reminds me of a WoW hunter from vanilla...pet build FTW!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hyena wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:17 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:50 am As an alternative to companions, learn summons. In fact, an archer/summoner is an effective combination.
Reminds me of a WoW hunter from vanilla...pet build FTW!
More like a demonology warlock build from the current retail - instant army FTW! I played that once - combat archer (in order to get away from the stealth archer meme) with multiple summons to keep the enemy busy while I killed them from range.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Those are great BH! :lol:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I fired this up to see the enhanced graphics and how it stands up over time (great). I'm playing a sneaky thief, no mods but I cheated some weapons and armor and money for a horse. Then I went to Falkreath to get the immortal dog quest from the blacksmith. To my surprise he did not offer it and the dog was nowhere to be found.

Instead I did some quests for the Jarl until he made me a thane. As a reward I got a warrior companion named Rayya - I don't remember that at all. So did they replace the dog exploit with a real companion?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter