Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Rumpy »

And yeah, I mean, it's one thing to have exclusive loot as part of a DLC. That much is understandable as other games have done so. But when it's done in a way that reduces fair chances for the players of the base game from getting good loot, that reaally isn't fun. And it isn't like you see the loot and can be tempted to upgrade to the DLCs in order to get said loot. Rather, it's invisible. Meanwhile, throughout the game, there'd be times I'd get very little loot, even out of the majestic chests, such as health and energy potions, money, and what I'd call 'junk loot'. Very rarely would I ever get blue loot. I think it only happened a handful of times, and this would explain why. And it's not like you can buy that kind of loot from a merchant; it's only obtainable as loot drops. It'd be more honest if they made the loot visible to show how much you're missing while showing which DLC it's from. But I don't think most games ever put DLC loot in the same loot table for reasons such as those. Either way, the RNG is heavily stacked against the player if they have the base game, which is not cool. It's not like the DLCs are cheap either. They're the price of the base game at $25 each.

I don't hold any nostalgia for these games given I didn't play it when it first came out. This experience felt so below par, and I didn't even have any expectations to begin with.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a new page. What game are you talking about?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The same game I've been talking about in my last several posts: Titan Quest. Or more precisely, Titan Quest Anniversary Edition. Or Garbage Edition.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From the makers of Terminator: Resistance:

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am in a bit of gaming rut, so I decided to go retro... by playing Hot Wheels Unleashed. :D I know, I'm turning into a kid again, even though I've never really gotten into Hot Wheels. When I grew up I was not in the US, so I'm more into Matchbox, Majorette, and Tomi instead of Hot Wheels. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:15 am The same game I've been talking about in my last several posts: Titan Quest. Or more precisely, Titan Quest Anniversary Edition. Or Garbage Edition.
One of those games where you're expected to slog through the same game 3 times just play the highest difficulties. No thanks.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 am
Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:15 am The same game I've been talking about in my last several posts: Titan Quest. Or more precisely, Titan Quest Anniversary Edition. Or Garbage Edition.
One of those games where you're expected to slog through the same game 3 times just play the highest difficulties. No thanks.
Yeah, once it dawned on me it was going to be that type of game, I wasn't compelled to keep going. Not that I would have been able to anyway with an unkillable boss mind you.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

With a lot of games like that, I've reached a point of skipping the first playthrough entirely if possible. In Borderlands 1/2, for instance, I'll download a 'clean' save (nothing modified, etc) right at the end of the first playthrough for the character I want, then just play the second playthrough.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Only took a years-long hiatus and 48 hours of total play time for me to complete the UEF campaign in Supreme Commander.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Today I discovered that the Steamlink client can be started up in windowed mode and run as a remote desktop app. I don't know how I didn't realize that sooner since that's obviously what it was always doing with the Big Picture mode on top, but I didn't know the client just gets full permissions on the remote computer. That may not be so great from a security standpoint but it sure is practical, and I suppose I could lock it down to my home network since I never play from outside locations.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I bet in the last year of my life I'll still be getting new games.....and still not playing them, but playing older games.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing through a couple levels of "Doors Paradox", a simple Puzzle game where the objective is to escape each level by opening the door, and you do that by solving the puzzles that locks each level's doors, by discovering hidden parts that you need to reassemble to reveal clues that will let you solve the other puzzles on the level, eventually to opening the portal onto the next level. Each one is not hard, and if you want, you can skip a particular puzzle. Got this free on Amazon Prime freebies a while back. There appears to be like 60 levels, but frankly, I'm kinda bored after 8.

Tried out Hero's Hour for a bit. I can see how that's kinda fun, as it is basically an updated version of HOMM, but with the battles turned to almost real-time. But the basic idea is still the game: build up your cities, hire heroes, take your units out and conquer the map, with the caveat that every week your enemies get stronger, so you can't dawdle.

For grins, tried "space warlord organ trading sim" (also given away on Prime Gaming) and interface is kinda horrible and there's no manual or tutorial explaining things. You're supposed to wait for "orders" before buying stuff then fulfill the orders. So I guess I was supposed to get one of each? I guess later they'll want me to match bloodtypes or something. Hah! Again, Ui's horrible.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A lot of the same old eastern style bullshit we get these days but the graphics show off Unreal 5 engine.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:10 pm A lot of the same old eastern style bullshit we get these days
What?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Danger! Danger, Dae Hawkinson!

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hehe Just seems many asian games are same'ish to me. No break outs. Make money stay in lane stuff.

16:10 The Invincible is the only one that looks interesting to me in that video.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In this one Banishers and maybe EXEkillers looks interesting.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isn't Lords of the Fallen the first souls-like by From Software?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:47 pm Isn't Lords of the Fallen the first souls-like by From Software?
Deck 13, the people behind The Surge.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh interesting. I liked the Surge. My first Souls-like, I think. A good beginner's Souls-like, imo.

So is this a remake? A remastering?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I finally figured out my Wolfenstein conundrum. I could have sworn O owned and played them..the first 3...but I could only find where I owned the first tow and couldn't figure it out.

So I own Wolfenstein New Order and Wolfenstein Old Blood......but not Wolfenstein 2 New Colossus. I played it somehow though as I can remember parts of it. SO must have donr it when I had EA Play or some gaming stream service active. is all I can figure.

So that finally frees me up for the rest and I was able to pick up Youngblood on sale yesterday for $5. I think Id given it a pass because its not BJ but his female empowered daughters that they seemed to have to make one gay so it appeals to the modern world. Nothing wrong with gay but they seem to think they have to be gay to be a strong fighting woman or some such I dont agree with. Women are awesome on their own...take Kate from the spy games and such . Plus Id heard it was a bit like Far Cry Dragon that I could never get into with its graphics. It also came out right after I lost my wife and wasn't into life or games or political correct stuff in my games. I was just done with fooling with the world at that point in time.

Anyways screw it I love the games and decided to grab it. Is Youngblood a pretty cool worth my time to bother with game of should it just stay in my backlog? Theres really nothing after it for now in the main series.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:02 pmI think Id given it a pass because its not BJ but his female empowered daughters that they seemed to have to make one gay so it appeals to the modern world. Nothing wrong with gay but they seem to think they have to be gay to be a strong fighting woman or some such I dont agree with.
Riight. Because there's no conceivable reason a gay person would hate Nazis, I suppose?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chraolic wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:33 am
Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:02 pmI think Id given it a pass because its not BJ but his female empowered daughters that they seemed to have to make one gay so it appeals to the modern world. Nothing wrong with gay but they seem to think they have to be gay to be a strong fighting woman or some such I dont agree with.
Riight. Because there's no conceivable reason a gay person would hate Nazis, I suppose?
No its just as stated that a woman doesn't also have to be gay to be tough and fight nazis on her own as a woman.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:30 am No its just as stated that a woman doesn't also have to be gay to be tough and fight nazis on her own as a woman.
There are two main characters in the game, right? And one of them is gay? So is the other sister not tough and fighting Nazis? Or is it just that main characters in action games aren't allowed to be gay according to you, or something? I can't even understand what you're going on about.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chraolic wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:35 am
Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:30 am No its just as stated that a woman doesn't also have to be gay to be tough and fight nazis on her own as a woman.
There are two main characters in the game, right? And one of them is gay? So is the other sister not tough and fighting Nazis? Or is it just that main characters in action games aren't allowed to be gay according to you, or something? I can't even understand what you're going on about.
You're either misunderstanding or looking for something that isn't there. I assumed they were both gay. Perhaps thats where the fault lies yes? Ive not played and just now own it and plan to start it soon.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:02 pm
So that finally frees me up for the rest and I was able to pick up Youngblood on sale yesterday for $5. I think Id given it a pass because its not BJ but his female empowered daughters that they seemed to have to make one gay so it appeals to the modern world. Nothing wrong with gay but they seem to think they have to be gay to be a strong fighting woman or some such I dont agree with.
I've read maybe half a dozen reviews of this game (back when it was out originally and shortly thereafter) and I can't recall a single one of them commenting in any capacity about the characters. Instead, it was described as a mediocre co-op shooter than arguably required a partner to play - which is why it's the only Wolfenstein game I've skipped.

Between this and your comments on the Unreal games last week, I gotta ask - are you ok my dude?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Between this and your comments on the Unreal games last week, I gotta ask - are you ok my dude?
I honestly dont know any more. Life is kinda falling apart around me. Hoping it improves soon. Have stuff planned that will help. Bit as of now..shrug. Kinda running around with my eyes crossed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:24 am
I honestly dont know any more. Life is kinda falling apart around me. Hoping it improves soon. Have stuff planned that will help. Bit as of now..shrug. Kinda running around with my eyes crossed.
I hope, after all of these years of all of us prodding you, that you realize that the thing that you need that would actually help is talking to a therapist. I've got to make arrangements for a new one sometime next week myself.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:14 am I've read maybe half a dozen reviews of this game (back when it was out originally and shortly thereafter) and I can't recall a single one of them commenting in any capacity about the characters. Instead, it was described as a mediocre co-op shooter than arguably required a partner to play - which is why it's the only Wolfenstein game I've skipped.
I played it solo and didn't have any problems with it. I enjoyed it about as much as any of the other Wolfenstein games I've played (which is approximately all of the modern ones). As long as I can punch, stab, shoot, curbstomp, detonate and generally annihilate swarms of Nazis, I'm not all that demanding of my Wolfensteins.

In related news (as in I spent 75 hours with Youngblood), sometimes I don't know whether Steam really understands me.

Enlarge Image

Just how many hours do I need to put into a game for it to recognize that maybe it is relevant to me? :think:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:08 am
Chraolic wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:35 am
You're either misunderstanding or looking for something that isn't there. I assumed they were both gay. Perhaps thats where the fault lies yes? Ive not played and just now own it and plan to start it soon.
<snicker> If you assumed they were both gay, why would you say 'they seemed to have to make one gay' ?
Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:02 pm I think Id given it a pass because its not BJ but his female empowered daughters that they seemed to have to make one gay so it appeals to the modern world.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's an action shooter. Is there enough character development and interpersonal drama for sexual orientation to have any impact at all?

And if not, and it makes some players feel good to have a gay heroine, why's that a problem?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Paradox Tectonic had their announcement event for Life by You today.

It looks like an open-world Sims-esque life simulator, with an integrated suite of modding tools. It is currently available for pre-order on the Epic Games Store, with an early access release coming up later this year (Sep 12, according to the EGS page).

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/life-by-you

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Saw this article about a PS gamer going PC, but it doesn't address my primary reason for having switched 99% of my gaming to console.
As long as I’ve been a gamer, I’ve always stuck with home consoles. From the NES to the PlayStation 5, consoles were always my gaming home base, and I was happy with the convenience of it. When it comes to PC gaming, though, I’ve always watched from afar, jealous of the buttery-smooth frame rates and graphics, but intimidated by the parts, drivers, settings, and prices.
Specifically - gaming from the couch with 7.1.2 Home Theater surround w/o headphones - especially after Work From Home during the Pandemic, and I didn't want to spend more time at the computer after a full day.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Back when I wanted a PC so bad and started out with one all those reasons to not was my reasons to want. I was really into computers even without one and read all I could all the time about them. I loved it all. Now not so much. Prefer to just play. But Ive not fussed with any of that stuff in a decade other than video drivers and replacing the video card once.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:21 pm Saw this article about a PS gamer going PC, but it doesn't address my primary reason for having switched 99% of my gaming to console.

Specifically - gaming from the couch with 7.1.2 Home Theater surround w/o headphones - especially after Work From Home during the Pandemic, and I didn't want to spend more time at the computer after a full day.
My gaming PC is a tower sitting in my LR connected to my 65" OLED (and through it my soundbar surround system). Add an X-Box controller and cheap wireless keyboard/mouse and (if needed) lapdesk. (I rarely use the mouse/keyboard for anything but navigating to the games, but obviously some games benefit from M/KB controls.) There is literally nothing stopping you from doing PC gaming from your couch. Now, a current gen console will always be much MUCH less expensive than a modern gaming PC (which is a bullet proof argument), but at least you will still be able to still own and play (almost) all your PC games with future hardware.

Not telling anyone what they should do, but the big TV/couch/surround sound requirement doesn't exclude PC gaming one bit.

To be fair when I bought my super expensive gaming PC when building a PC wasn't really an option (thanks Covid!), I probably would have considered a Series X Xbox if they weren't impossible to find for so long. But I'd still probably want some sort of gaming PC for all the Steam and other PC games I own.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

With both of those scenarios you have to use a controller, and I just can't wrap my brain around one. I shoot everything but what I'm aiming at, or end up looking out the side window of the car. My old man brain just can deal with it, which is why I just invested many dollars in a new gaming PC.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:51 pm You know, I have a notebook page (OneNote) dedicated to listing why I abandoned games so that I can reference it if I feel like giving them another try, but nothing for games that I just sort of let fade away.

I want to play some Pathfinder (PC). It's been a couple of years since I played Kingmaker, and I drifted away somewhere in the middle. I don't recall if it was because I got bored, or if I just got distracted. Since then, Wrath of the Righteous has come out. And since I don't remember what happened with Kingmaker, I have to decide - do I go back and restart Kingmaker (and risk the same thing happening again if it wasn't just distraction), or do I just start Wrath of the Righteous, which I also own?
There is no story carryover between Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous, other than being in the same gameworld. I really liked Kingmaker and have about 150 hours in it, but I also really enjoyed Wrath. Kingmaker is more classic Pathfinder but with the kingdom management aspects, where as Wrath goes into mythic power levels. I think both are excellent.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know there isn't any connection (I know the tabletop game and the world of Golarion fairly well, enough to be able to point to where both take place on the map.)

What I meant was that I don't remember what happened with Kingmaker that led to me quitting, so I don't know if I quit playing "with prejudice", or just got busy. If the latter, I'd like to go back and finish it. If the prior, I'd leave it alone.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:58 pm I know there isn't any connection (I know the tabletop game and the world of Golarion fairly well, enough to be able to point to where both take place on the map.)

What I meant was that I don't remember what happened with Kingmaker that led to me quitting, so I don't know if I quit playing "with prejudice", or just got busy. If the latter, I'd like to go back and finish it. If the prior, I'd leave it alone.
Previously, on Blackhawk Plays Kingmaker...
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:40 am I restarted Pathfinder Kingmaker a few months ago. I've been having a lot of fun with it, but things got busy with Michelle and her new job, and I got distracted for a month or so. Now I'm finally getting back to it and... I'm hitting a wall. It's a really, really good game, but I just can't bring myself to talk to 30 NPCs and catch up on things with all of my companions and deal with all of the inventory. You know, RPG busy-work that you get comfortable with when you're playing, but serves as a barrier to getting back into it. I know the mood will strike me again, but I also know that if I put it back until then It'll be months and I won't be able to return to my in-progress game due to losing track of even more of what's going on. I'm more than halfway through the campaign, with all of the side content, companion quests, and kingdom building available so far done. I don't want to abandon all of that, but I don't really want to keep playing, either.

it's a problem I have frequently with long RPGs. If I step away, I can't get back in.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:51 pm I decided that it's time to jump back into Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I started it last year, but quit when I started running the Pathfinder 2 tabletop game, and I didn't want the PF1 rules hanging out in my head while I was trying to learn PF2. Since my group imploded, and since the bad taste that left has faded, I'm ready to jump back in. With all the new patches and new features I decided to start over from scratch.