Recommendations on where to buy a car battery and what brand to buy

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So gonna need a battery when I can afford one which is 2 weeks away. Me and the wife bought a cheap one ot a local place that is small and been there for generations. That was 2918. It died less than a year later in 2019 after my wife herself had passed on and they replaced it free. They themselves said batteries were just cheap junk made in China and they replaced a lot of them free. Shrug. Anyways it was a different yet still cheap weird named brand of battery they installed and its lasted almost 4 years now..not quite.

So I want to ge ta better battery that wont run me a lot more. I want to spend like $125 if thats possible on a semi good one that will last at least 5 years. The cold here just kills these cheap batteries after a few years.

So should I be looking at Walmart or Autozone of O'Reilly (why does spellcheck think both those names are spelled wrong?) . And what brand and type and stuff should I get perhaps that you've tried and liked.

Walmart brand seems to be Evertstart.
Autozone has Duralast.
O'Reilly has Super Start.

They're probably all the same damn battery built buy the same damn factory most likely. And they probably all suck. Should I just get one of those or pay more somehow I dont know how for a better brand? Im lost here but I damn sure dont want more cheap junk. Wheres the cheap good stuff these days?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Re: Recommendations on where to buy a car battery and what brand to buy

Post by Daehawk »

According to the below video it appears the Walmart brand Everstart is a true winner here. Cheaper and better power/quality too. He also shows its basically an Interstate battery made by Johnson. A friend of both my family and my wife's family used to sell Interstate batteries for a living and we always got them from him in the 80s and 90s. I thought they stopped selling the Interstate battery as last time we tried him he had quit selling them.

So maybe I should look into having a Interstate from Amazon or some place shipped to me come my check. Would have to wait a few days for food and to do my banking but might can do that. IF I have some tool to remove the old battery and install the new one.

EDIT: Helps if I post the video don't it.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yet nearly all the 12-volt car batteries built and sold in the US come from either Clarios, East Penn or Exide, the main manufacturers. All of those car battery brand products -- AC Delco, Deka, Diehard, Duracell, Duralast, Interstate, Mopar, Motorcraft, Odyssey, Optima and so on -- are designed to each's specification and built by one of the big three manufacturers.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/best-car-battery/
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

From their test it appears the Everstart Maxx 35 is my best bet. Its at my local Walmart for $119 + tax. I think they can deliver it same day. I mean its right up the road but I cant get there because the battery is what I need lol. But will still have to wait 2 weeks on my disability check. I think I have $10 in the bank lol. And cant sell anything until I can go ship it or they wont transfer the money anyways. So 2 weeks it seems I sit and wait and hope they still have one in stock.

Now I wonder how much a lawnmower battery will cost me? Dont have to fool with that for a few months maybe. I was gonna mow next week but if I cant I cant geez. Life is fun aint it.

EDIT: And I think theres a $25 core charge if I dont turn my old battery in. So if I order and have it delivered I have to pay that up front then try to get it back by taking my old one to Walmart. Not fun. If I can get a boost come April 3rd I can just drive over and let them install it there or do it and take it in when I buy the new battery.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We just had AAA replace the wife’s car battery. I think it cost $160. I am pretty sure I could have found one cheaper but I put one in “poorly” once and so I don’t do that anymore.

The sad part is the tech said most batteries sold today are only good for 3 years.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:22 pm We just had AAA replace the wife’s car battery. I think it cost $160. I am pretty sure I could have found one cheaper but I put one in “poorly” once and so I don’t do that anymore.

The sad part is the tech said most batteries sold today are only good for 3 years.
This feels accurate to me. My last car that I bought in 2009 had a battery last for over 7 years. The battery in my current Honda made it about 3.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My Ford 2018 OEM is still ticking along.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm My Ford 2018 OEM is still ticking along.
As someone that just replaced a 5 year old battery that finally failed, I'd advise monitoring it closely - especially as the weather warms up.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:43 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm My Ford 2018 OEM is still ticking along.
As someone that just replaced a 5 year old battery that finally failed, I'd advise monitoring it closely - especially as the weather warms up.
I thought colder weather was harder on batteries and that summer weather could hide a battery that will fail on the first frost.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

To the science mobile:
Summer heat is tougher on car batteries than winter’s chill. It may seem counterintuitive, but higher temperatures have a greater impact on the power-generating chemistry inside.

And it’s not just about air temperature. Hot summer temps drive up the heat under the hood and accelerate the onset of battery failure.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mine had been slow for a couple weeks now. Then we had 3 days of low 20s temps. Plus I dont drive it but like twice a month. All added up to finish it off with this last cold snap.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Dunno how true that is, honestly. In Canada, cars come default with the ability to plug in a block heater, or have in the past at least, in order to plug them in overnight on colder days. Otherwise you'd have the unfortunate situation of having to go to work, trying to start your car and finding the battery dead.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:34 pm Dunno how true that is, honestly. In Canada, cars come default with the ability to plug in a block heater, or have in the past at least, in order to plug them in overnight on colder days. Otherwise you'd have the unfortunate situation of having to go to work, trying to start your car and finding the battery dead.
Ive only seen that heat plug once in my life here in TN. It was my dad's little diesel pick truck. Think it was a Nissan. It had a plug where you could plug it in on a cold winters night. That was like 1985.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My six-year-old battery is getting wheezy. I keep procrastinating, but I really need to ring up the nice people at AutoZone soon.

When I replaced Wife's car battery last year, I asked the nice gentleman at A-Z if they still do free installation, since it wasn't mentioned on their website anymore. He grumbled and allowed as how they do. I tipped him $20 after he replaced it in the parking lot, which improved his attitude.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:34 pm In Canada, cars come default with the ability to plug in a block heater, or have in the past at least, in order to plug them in overnight on colder days. Otherwise you'd have the unfortunate situation of having to go to work, trying to start your car and finding the battery dead.
I'm not an expert, but I am pretty sure this is wrong. Block heaters are keeping the engine block and fluids warm, there may be some side benefit to the battery, but that's not the purpose.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:34 pm Dunno how true that is, honestly. In Canada, cars come default with the ability to plug in a block heater, or have in the past at least, in order to plug them in overnight on colder days. Otherwise you'd have the unfortunate situation of having to go to work, trying to start your car and finding the battery dead.
I think cars sold in Alaska have to have it. Don't know about any other states.

A grocery store parking lot in Fairbanks is the only place where I've ever seen those heater things just for public use while you go into the store (because otherwise your car might not start when you try to leave, or so they explained to us).
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Years ago I had an auto parts store just down the street from my house. About three blocks. I needed a car battery, so I figured I could just walk down there, buy one, and carry it back home.

Don't do what I did. They get awful heavy after about 10 steps.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:44 pm My six-year-old battery is getting wheezy. I keep procrastinating, but I really need to ring up the nice people at AutoZone soon.

When I replaced Wife's car battery last year, I asked the nice gentleman at A-Z if they still do free installation, since it wasn't mentioned on their website anymore. He grumbled and allowed as how they do. I tipped him $20 after he replaced it in the parking lot, which improved his attitude.
Didn't you watch those videos? Never buy an Autozone battery! :) :D
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:22 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:44 pm My six-year-old battery is getting wheezy. I keep procrastinating, but I really need to ring up the nice people at AutoZone soon.

Didn't you watch those videos? Never buy an Autozone battery! :) :D
Be fair. Not everyone here time travels like you do.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We have a O’Reilly’s auto parts store not far from us. They have installed a battery for my daughter and have changed out the windshield wipers for two of us.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

paulbaxter wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:18 pm Years ago I had an auto parts store just down the street from my house. About three blocks. I needed a car battery, so I figured I could just walk down there, buy one, and carry it back home.

Don't do what I did. They get awful heavy after about 10 steps.
Dolly or suitcase with rollers FTW.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember when I was a kid being surprised just how heavy car batteries and bowling balls were for their relative size. Very dense.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:51 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:34 pm In Canada, cars come default with the ability to plug in a block heater, or have in the past at least, in order to plug them in overnight on colder days. Otherwise you'd have the unfortunate situation of having to go to work, trying to start your car and finding the battery dead.
I'm not an expert, but I am pretty sure this is wrong. Block heaters are keeping the engine block and fluids warm, there may be some side benefit to the battery, but that's not the purpose.
Yeah, you're right but I'd consider it multi-purpose. In either case, you're warming the battery which greatly helps, and in certain cases you might also be needing to charge your battery, because under brutal winters they can absolutely be affected. Also doesn't help when you have to deal with lots of humidity with that weather. Also, batteries don't work so well in cold weather as they lose charge more quickly.
gilraen wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:53 pm
I think cars sold in Alaska have to have it. Don't know about any other states.

A grocery store parking lot in Fairbanks is the only place where I've ever seen those heater things just for public use while you go into the store (because otherwise your car might not start when you try to leave, or so they explained to us).

Come to think of it, I remember hearing that in Alaska, you pretty much have to leave the vehicles idling for that very purpose.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:12 pm Come to think of it, I remember hearing that in Alaska, you pretty much have to leave the vehicles idling for that very purpose.
I either read or spoke with an Alaskan that told me that the cab drivers would leave their cabs running all night because if they turned them off, they might not be able to start them again. This was many years ago, however, so technology has probably improved some. And it may have just been a story. But it certainly drives home that it can be pretty darn cold up in those parts.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I don't miss the good ol' days of constantly carrying around batteries that were twice the size of a car battery for over a dozen water craft. The landing craft(s) with four or five batteries each. A dolly doesn't do much good when you have to move thru watertight doors. :wink: Puts me off the idea of electric vehicles a bit too, that and taking care of my pop's electric golf cart where you have to buy six batteries, and they don't last all that long. I'd never get a battery powered golf cart over a gas powered one.

I've been pretty happy with Walmart Maxx batteries. They used to have a five year warranty, but now it's down to three years I believe. Make a photo copy of your receipt because those receipts fade. They're pretty good about giving you credit toward the next battery if the current battery doesn't last as long as it should if they can read the receipt.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I remember having to take the battery inside every night. I also remember having to use a plug-in dipstick engine heater. I was young (pre-driving) at the time, and it's been long enough that I don't remember the reason that we had to do it with that particular car.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:39 pm Puts me off the idea of electric vehicles a bit too,
Lithium-ion batteries are not like lead acid batteries.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember the old days...1970s....when you could take the caps off your car battery and add water to it...for some reason.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

TheMix wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:55 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:12 pm Come to think of it, I remember hearing that in Alaska, you pretty much have to leave the vehicles idling for that very purpose.
I either read or spoke with an Alaskan that told me that the cab drivers would leave their cabs running all night because if they turned them off, they might not be able to start them again. This was many years ago, however, so technology has probably improved some. And it may have just been a story. But it certainly drives home that it can be pretty darn cold up in those parts.
It's certainly quite possible. But yeah, I don't know if vehicles have become more efficient in that regard. Possibly from being able to use different oils. I dunno. But block heaters certainly do help putting less stress on the battery, and make it easier for the engine to turn over. There are even battery blankets sold. In the past, I remember we've gone out to the vehicle and tried to crank it and it wouldn't start, so we'd plug it in for a couple of hours to charge and thaw out and try again. I remember there being several close calls.

As per this website: https://vehq.com/will-block-heater-help-dead-battery/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:31 am I remember the old days...1970s....when you could take the caps off your car battery and add water to it...for some reason.
My auto mechanical expertise expired when carburetors did. Back in the day I enjoyed getting my hands greasy with a couple of gearhead friends. And then along came computers to ruin everything. :wink:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:33 pm
em2nought wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:39 pm Puts me off the idea of electric vehicles a bit too,
Lithium-ion batteries are not like lead acid batteries.
Some things better, some things worse.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My car seems to have either the lines or the fuel injectors freeze up when it get into the low 20s so it has to warm up or crank a lot to start. I need to add something to the tank when I get gas next time to solve that.

I remember those Die Hard battery tv commercials I think in the 1970s where they'd have a car snowed over and left the lights on and yet it would still crank up.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Driving old jalopies, I like to keep my gas tank full to limit condensation forming, and so I'm not sucking the dregs of the tank into my fuel system. Occasionally I'll add some injector cleaner, or something that's supposed to keep the gas fresh if it sits a long time.

You might also consider where you park the car, if you face the hood into the rising sun during winter mornings it might help heat the engine block up along with the windshield if that's icing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't help me. I had it parked into the sun and a near full tank. Its been a long time since I added anything to the tank so Im guessing some moisture has built up in it over time.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Just the slightest bit of corrosion between the terminal lug and the battery post can really cause problems too. It's good to have one of these cleaning tools which some people don't actually realize pulls apart and there's a brush for cleaning the terminal lug inside there too in addition to the part for cleaning the post.
Enlarge Image