Stellaris: New Paradox Sci Fi Grand Strategy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Anonymous Bosch

Re: Stellaris: New Paradox Sci Fi Grand Strategy

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:46 am Hey AB, do you think we need a new guide now that 3.7 is out? Or will the older guides still cover enough to make them worthwhile?

I have found in the past it has been difficult to find accurate detailed game mechanics guides due to the ever changing nature of the game.
I suspect that largely boils down to individual preference, since we don't necessarily all learn and absorb info in quite the same way.

Personally, I think Stefan Anon's Stellaris in a Nutshell - How to Master the Essentials playlist remains perhaps the single best video tutorial series for Stellaris, despite being out of date in regards to many specifics. Because it provides a broadly correct way to frame and think about the game mechanically. From there, everything else opens up. If/when I need further detail about specific game mechanics, I find the official Stellaris Wiki and tends to be the most reliable source of info, and it doesn't hurt that it's also easily accessible from within the game itself. Granted, it's no Civilopedia, but it's the next best thing for Stellaris.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fair enough.

Personally I like detailed descriptions of how specific game systems work, and how best to exploit them (in the sense of using to maximum effect, not exploit as in cheat).

So when they change the mechanics multiple times over years, it becomes harder to find recent detailed guides and/or tutorials.

In any case, thanks for the response. I will check out the series you mentioned.
Anonymous Bosch

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:20 pm Fair enough.

Personally I like detailed descriptions of how specific game systems work, and how best to exploit them (in the sense of using to maximum effect, not exploit as in cheat).

So when they change the mechanics multiple times over years, it becomes harder to find recent detailed guides and/or tutorials.
FWIW, they usually do a good job of keeping the Beginner's guide available through the Stellaris Wiki sufficiently up to date with changes to game mechanics, so it can be quite helpful if/when you're returning to the game after a sustained absence.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

GreenGoo wrote:Fair enough.

In any case, thanks for the response. I will check out the series you mentioned.
I just had my first full scale near revolt due to some unfortunate events (bad fallen Empire genetic engineering and brain bugs). And my neglecting entertainment on the home world. I like how they now flag event chains to show narrative progress. Now if I can only contain the rebellions progress to 0 for the next 6 years…
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I had to start a new game. Had a Marauder Empire pop up on my border and they had no where to go but through me. They had several 70k fleets and I was only at 30-40k fleets. I got slaughtered. I turned off marauder empires for my next game.

The mechanics had changed a lot since I last played over a year ago. My empire was falling way behind because sharing resources amongst my planets is different now. Kept wondering why the auto government was incompetent, they had no materials to build with. :doh:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

One of my neighbors expressed interest in a system that's mine, dammit. I think I'm on the verge of my first-ever war. :)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:50 am One of my neighbors expressed interest in a system that's mine, dammit. I think I'm on the verge of my first-ever war. :)
One of my neighbors laid claim to 3 of my systems, then insulted me. :angry-cussingwhite:
I set up a spy network, found out his strength was pathetic compared to mine, waited for one more insult then declared war. :violence-rapidfire:
It did not go well for him. :violence-torch:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Watched about half of the 2.6(7?) guide series AB posted. I keep falling asleep or I would be done with the whole thing, but that's not the videos fault. :D

As expected, it's good but more succinct that I expected, which is also good. I will probably start a game in the next week or so. Probably by the weekend.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I had a little time this morning to finish the tutorial. I feel that the console controls work fine and I’m looking forward to starting my first real game. I probably won’t have time to play until Tuesday when I have the day off and my wife is working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My first war was declared by an untouchable civilization (Precursor?) that decided to knock my dick in the dirt because I got too close. The game suggested surrendering, and since the belligerent party seemed to have about 100x as many ships as me I did. Now I've got some negative modifiers for the next 10 years, which is forever at the rate I'm playing, and I learned that I can't go north. I hope that the badasses don't have expansion in mind.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Kraken wrote:My first war was declared by an untouchable civilization (Precursor?) that decided to knock my dick in the dirt because I got too close. The game suggested surrendering, and since the belligerent party seemed to have about 100x as many ships as me I did. Now I've got some negative modifiers for the next 10 years, which is forever at the rate I'm playing, and I learned that I can't go north. I hope that the badasses don't have expansion in mind.
From what I’ve read about the Precursor civs is that while they are incredibly superior in tech they do not expand.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Dramatist wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:04 pm
Kraken wrote:My first war was declared by an untouchable civilization (Precursor?) that decided to knock my dick in the dirt because I got too close. The game suggested surrendering, and since the belligerent party seemed to have about 100x as many ships as me I did. Now I've got some negative modifiers for the next 10 years, which is forever at the rate I'm playing, and I learned that I can't go north. I hope that the badasses don't have expansion in mind.
From what I’ve read about the Precursor civs is that while they are incredibly superior in tech they do not expand.
I was hoping that they're effectively a secure border, as long as I don't absorb just one particular unimportant system.

Regarding war, does one need transports or anything special to invade a planet? I noticed that the Precursors had a bunch of transports, which I don't even have access to (yet).

I'm also finding trade hard to understand, but since I have plenty of money and am still running positive I'm not worried about it. My home world has a bunch of incoming trade routes, and I've put trade modules on a couple of space stations. Do routes just form automatically?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yes. They may send a fleet to punish you depending on their ideology. Colonize a Holy World at your own risk, their Guardians will squash you.

The worst are expansionist hive minds who exterminate xenos and have an advanced start. My 3K fleet was just decimated by a 4X and 2.5K bug fleet. Time to restart this weekend, we’re not going to recover.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yes internal trade is automatic but not resources. You set that up in market or treaty. There is a UI overlay for trade routes and value.
Anonymous Bosch

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:54 pm Regarding war, does one need transports or anything special to invade a planet? I noticed that the Precursors had a bunch of transports, which I don't even have access to (yet).
Armies and transports are necessary for capturing systems with colonized planets. Warfare mechanics in Stellaris can be confusing for new players, but this tutorial from ColorsFade Gaming does a terrific job of explaining and illustrating how waging war in Stellaris works:

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:54 pmI'm also finding trade hard to understand, but since I have plenty of money and am still running positive I'm not worried about it. My home world has a bunch of incoming trade routes, and I've put trade modules on a couple of space stations. Do routes just form automatically?
Here's a tutorial from the same bloke as above that provides an easy to comprehend explanation of how trade works in Stellaris and why to use it:

For further info, refer to the relevant Stellaris Wiki section on Trade.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:34 pm The worst are expansionist hive minds who exterminate xenos and have an advanced start. My 3K fleet was just decimated by a 4X and 2.5K bug fleet. Time to restart this weekend, we’re not going to recover.
Ouch. Is that common? I tend to dislike Kobayashi Maru in my strategy games. It's one thing if I screw up, but an unwinnable scenario from something I have no way of responding to tends to kill my motivation pretty quickly (Age of Wonders 2, I'm looking at you.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:24 pm (Age of Wonders 2, I'm looking at you.)
Sorry to derail. But is this a reference to the start of the Shadow Magic campaign? 'Cause I'd agree that sucked. I had to read up on how to start the campaign. Doing the "usual" was a guaranteed failure. :evil:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:28 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:24 pm (Age of Wonders 2, I'm looking at you.)
Sorry to derail. But is this a reference to the start of the Shadow Magic campaign? 'Cause I'd agree that sucked. I had to read up on how to start the campaign. Doing the "usual" was a guaranteed failure. :evil:
Nope, AoW 2's campaign (and it has been years, so I may not recall everything correctly, but this is the gist.) I had built up my forces to make sure I have an edge over any enemy nearby, stationed them in strategic positions, and balanced the rest of my advancement between other factors. And then a Super Doom Stack of Death comes rolling in. I don't remember what it was (although I think it had some sort of a tank type thing.) It absolutely rolled over everything I had. I wasn't even close to being able to do real damage to the thing. The game was unwinnable due to something that either happened off screen, or was scripted to happen, and it was quite a few hours in.

It turned out (again, as I recall) that the only viable strategy in that campaign was to have a perfected build order and to be 100% efficient in pursuing it. Playing it any other way was doomed to failure. That isn't a lot of fun, at least for me. I enjoy adapting to my situation, location, and opponents, not having to adopt a perfect strategy that requires foreknowledge (or, more realistically, that I looked up online.)

Now, feel free to re-rail the thread. ;)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:01 pm but this tutorial from ColorsFade Gaming
Thanks, the trade video was very informative. I had no idea any of that was going on and didn't know that starbase module effects stack.

Haven't watched the combat one yet, but I will.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Blackhawk wrote:
Zarathud wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:34 pm The worst are expansionist hive minds who exterminate xenos and have an advanced start. My 3K fleet was just decimated by a 4X and 2.5K bug fleet. Time to restart this weekend, we’re not going to recover.
Ouch. Is that common? I tend to dislike Kobayashi Maru in my strategy games. It's one thing if I screw up, but an unwinnable scenario from something I have no way of responding to tends to kill my motivation pretty quickly (Age of Wonders 2, I'm looking at you.)
You tend to be placed by one problematic neighbor. I explore fast so I get all the sweet anomaly bonuses and know where to expand. There was a pushover species to my south, a competitive one to my north and empty but no habitable planet systems from my east to galaxy’s edge. Neutral Fallen Empire far northwest.

So I pushed out southwest to contain the peaceful neighbor and nab two sweet Arid worlds (100% habitability) but ended up throwing myself into the bug’s freight train. I thought they might chew on my weak southern neighbor, but apparently I looked tastier. And I dissected one during first contact, not knowing they were a hive mind. Oops.

It would have been different if I had slowed expansion and took on the fair fight. The bugs would have been stronger, but I would be too.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I started to wonder how one wins a game when I noticed the Victory tab, and discovered that I'm in 5th place, score-wise. Not bad for blundering through my first game. I also noticed that the last turn is ridiculously far away and the top two empires have ridiculous scores to beat, so playing for points is probably not the best idea.

Two things are holding me back. How can I increase my influence? and How can I reduce the penalty for being big? I'm at something like 175/100 and still have expansion opportunities.

It turned out that I accidentally have a decent silk road but it's blanketed in pirate warnings (red skulls).
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Empire size will slow your tech growth but you should have tech bonuses and increased production to offset it. Mid and end game will trigger crises to challenge you, and you take on alliances and the leaders.

Build stations along the trade route to provide protection, and build military modules on existing stations. A small military patrol fleet also works.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Influence is scarce. Declare a rivalry, build up your fleet. Get bonuses that reduce influence costs. You can also get them from subjects, and taking the time to pace yourself.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I started a game on the easiest level and removed end game crisis, fallen empires and marauder empires just so I could play until the end and learn all the new stuff that has changed since I last played it. I won the game but the last 100 years was neck and neck with the Commonwealth of Man, we kept flipping our #1 and #2 positions before I pulled away at the end and won by 3000 pts. Thing is,I'm not sure what I did to cause that big jump at the end...

My next game I will be bumping up the difficulty, and taking lessons learned from this game.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:02 am Influence is scarce. Declare a rivalry, build up your fleet. Get bonuses that reduce influence costs. You can also get them from subjects, and taking the time to pace yourself.
I have one rival and my fleet is at or near its limit, which is growing slowly. I just settled a wave of new colonies; I hope those will raise my influence as they mature. I would like to keep snarfing up empty territory but I don't have enough influence to do it.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You’re in the stage where influence limits expansion. I get the dominion ascension perk and tech to cut the cost of expanding systems by 50%. You can leave some safe territory unclaimed for later, as the most reliable way to get influence is time.
Anonymous Bosch

Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:49 amTwo things are holding me back. How can I increase my influence?
By design, Influence income tends to be one of the hardest scores to raise in Stellaris. Basically, all Empires start with a base monthly Influence production of 3 (which can be boosted by certain Ethics during Empire creation). Beyond that, there are primarily two other ways to consistently increase your Influence income in Stellaris. The first is by declaring a Rivalry with another Empire, and the other way is by generating more Power Projection. Your Power Projection score is scaled depending on the number of ships you have deployed relative to your Empire Size. This is explained further in Montu's video below, describing how to get more Influence:

Also, as this video explains, do keep a watchful eye on your diplomatic pacts if you wish to maximise your influence gain. Research agreements, commercial pacts, and defence agreements typically all cost influence to upkeep. So, don't be afraid to re-evaluate and discontinue any diplomatic pacts that may be allowing other empires to piggyback on you while your own gains are minimal in return. Terminate whatever you don’t need, so that your influence gain can increase back to normal.
Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:49 amHow can I reduce the penalty for being big? I'm at something like 175/100 and still have expansion opportunities.
Try to remember, this is not a penalty, it's a cost. Generally speaking, you aim to outproduce this by sufficiently ramping up science and unity to offset this cost. There are civics, traditions, and tech that minimise the impact of being big, but the general strategy is to grow faster than Empire Size can hurt you.

FWIW, I think Stefan Anon's video below succinctly shows the best way to assess your options for expansion and avoid overextension:

Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:49 amIt turned out that I accidentally have a decent silk road but it's blanketed in pirate warnings (red skulls).
The ColorsFade Gaming trade routes tutorial I posted above illustrates my preferred method for suppressing piracy via tactical starbase placement. But a simpler means of piracy suppression is just to have a bunch of corvettes patrol your trade route. This will also provide your anti-piracy fleet with the benefits of veterancy, which can be quite significant. You can eventually almost double your fleet's firepower just from combat experience gleaned from suppressing piracy. You can see this explained and demonstrated in the ASpec video below:

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is vexing me: How does one merge fleets? My 2nd fleet has room for one more ship. My 4th fleet is just one ship. They're at the same system. I removed the 4th fleet's admiral. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make the 2nd fleet absorb the 4th fleet. 2nd just added its first cruiser; 4th is a cruiser.

If I can't make the 4th fleet go away, I'll settle for moving the cruiser from the 2nd. I can't figure out how to do either with the fleet manager.
Anonymous Bosch

Kraken wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:46 am This is vexing me: How does one merge fleets? My 2nd fleet has room for one more ship. My 4th fleet is just one ship. They're at the same system. I removed the 4th fleet's admiral. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make the 2nd fleet absorb the 4th fleet. 2nd just added its first cruiser; 4th is a cruiser.

If I can't make the 4th fleet go away, I'll settle for moving the cruiser from the 2nd. I can't figure out how to do either with the fleet manager.
Select the fleets you wish to merge by shift-clicking in the Outliner, and then either click the 'Merge' button in the fleet command window, or press the hotkey 'G'.

Here's a tutorial video that helps illustrate the process:

Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I got to play some more this weekend. I also watched a lot of the beginner guides that were linked here. Those had good information but that guy was a total warmonger and I usually try to play the friendly route in these types of games.

There’s so much to do and I have a tendency to want to do it all that I’m trying to reign in. I’m looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:48 am I will probably start a game in the next week or so. Probably by the weekend.
No new game yet, but I have switched my youtube video watching habits to include more Stellaris.

Probably not the thread for it, but anyone playing Distant Worlds 2?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is there a downside to using alien citizens to colonize worlds that humans don't like? I recently settled a big wave of new colonies using races that have affinities for those worlds (including Cockroaches for a Tomb World). Lots of planets that are 40% favorable for humans are 90-100% for other species. I've been playing as a peaceful xenophile empire, but wonder if this multiculturalism can come back to bite me in the future, if for instance I have a falling out with their home empire.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:53 pm Is there a downside to using alien citizens to colonize worlds that humans don't like? I recently settled a big wave of new colonies using races that have affinities for those worlds (including Cockroaches for a Tomb World). Lots of planets that are 40% favorable for humans are 90-100% for other species. I've been playing as a peaceful xenophile empire, but wonder if this multiculturalism can come back to bite me in the future, if for instance I have a falling out with their home empire.
More pops of any sort is generally better all around, but if they have different ethics than you do it can potentially cause problems.

If the cockroaches were authoritarian for instance, they would eventually join or form an authoritarian faction and be unhappy since you probably wouldn't meet that factions needs. That would lead to lower stability on their worlds, but probably not much else unless they became a big proportion of your population.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This started happening last night: At the beginning of each month, I see a red notification tile with a faint "pew-pew" sound. The tile disappears immediately after materializing. I can't click on it and it disappears when I pause. Any idea what it indicates or how I can select it?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Autosave indicator?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Probably not, since I only noticed it last night (85 years into my game). I'll try to get a closer look at the icon tonight. It's not there for long. I wondered if it might indicate piracy?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:51 am This started happening last night: At the beginning of each month, I see a red notification tile with a faint "pew-pew" sound. The tile disappears immediately after materializing. I can't click on it and it disappears when I pause. Any idea what it indicates or how I can select it?
Hmm... piracy is usually a pretty obvious pirate fleet that will spawn and sit in a system.

Can't say that really rings a bell, but might be one of your planets is bordering on instability? Do any of your planets have a very low stability? Say, from 0 - 20?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That phantom icon went away when I loaded tonight's game. I pronounce it a bug.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks to an event that didn't go my way, one of my minor colonies that had no defenses got overrun with mutant bad guys. Two other worlds in the same system have armies. How can I move those armies to retake the planet? I don't have transport technology (assuming that's a thing) and the button to deploy armies is grayed out. Do I just have to let that loss fester until I gain invasion tech? And how do I get transports? I'm in the mid-game with no hint that the tech is coming, if I indeed do need a tech to do that.
Anonymous Bosch

Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:31 am Thanks to an event that didn't go my way, one of my minor colonies that had no defenses got overrun with mutant bad guys. Two other worlds in the same system have armies. How can I move those armies to retake the planet? I don't have transport technology (assuming that's a thing) and the button to deploy armies is grayed out. Do I just have to let that loss fester until I gain invasion tech? And how do I get transports? I'm in the mid-game with no hint that the tech is coming, if I indeed do need a tech to do that.
Each ground army already comes with their own transport ship. So if you embark them from the surface, then a transport ship containing the newly-embarked army will pop up automatically in orbit. Or if you click the Recruit button from your planet's Armies tab, newly-constructed armies will form into an orbital fleet. You'll see this shown and explained at the 7:29 mark in the ColorsFade Gaming Stellaris Newbie Tutorial for WAR I linked earlier. Though I would strongly recommend watching that video in its entirety from start to finish if you've been playing peacefully for the most part.

Also keep in mind, transport ships are essentially floating tin cans and tend to be incredibly vulnerable while in orbit. So, do be sure to clear a suitable path for them, and keep them defended with a sufficient military escort.

One other useful tip about your transport ships: if you set their fleet stance to Aggressive, then they will automatically follow friendly military fleets around, and automatically invade hostile planets if their odds of success are favourable. So, if you've already cleared a path for them and have a military fleet orbiting the planet you wish to invade, this can ease the process of otherwise micromanaging them.