When did this become a thing - holding rifles?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

When did this become a thing - holding rifles?

Post by Grifman »

This has bee bugging me. Ok, I'm no weapons expert but I have fired rifles and shotguns and watched a lot of war movies. When I was taught to hold/aim a gun, I was told to place my hand UNDER the barrel, and that's the way I've seen in most movies. But now in video games I see rather than the hand being placed under the barrel, it is being place to the side and you wrap your fingers around the barrel with the thumb over the top of the barrel. When did this become a thing and why? It seems awfully awkward, it's much easier to place your hand under the barrel.

Anyone know what's going on?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
dbt1949

Re: When did this become a thing - holding rifles?

Post by dbt1949 »

I've never heard of such a thing. Sort of like holding pistols sideways.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Grifman wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:15 pm This has bee bugging me. Ok, I'm no weapons expert but I have fired rifles and shotguns and watched a lot of war movies. When I was taught to hold/aim a gun, I was told to place my hand UNDER the barrel, and that's the way I've seen in most movies. But now in video games I see rather than the hand being placed under the barrel, it is being place to the side and you wrap your fingers around the barrel with the thumb over the top of the barrel. When did this become a thing and why? It seems awfully awkward, it's much easier to place your hand under the barrel.

Anyone know what's going on?
The purpose of a thumb over bore grip is that it helps minimise recoil and inhibit the barrel from jumping. But it can feel awkward to sustain over a prolonged period, depending on how you're built.

Here's a retired USMC infantry leader and weapons instructor explaining the pros and cons:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

With the advent of barrel shrouds, it became possible to hold rifles this way.

With a regular stock, you can't do it without burning your hands on and hot barrel. And you can't really mount a grip directly on the barrel without compromising ballistic accuracy.

I still find it awkward. I think it's more for engaging multiple targets rapidly and stuff like three gun matches. Not my thing. Foregrips are also overused IMO.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If you are using iron sights can you even see the front sight with this method?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:33 pm If you are using iron sights can you even see the front sight with this method?
Depends. With flip-up irons probably, like the guy in the video. Most operators and LARPers have optics so they're probably high enough to get a picture despite rhe thumb on top.

It's like the center axis relock hold for pistols. It has situational uses but because lots of people think it looks cool they use it all the time.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT