X-Files close to returning to tv with new eps

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: X-Files close to returning to tv with new eps

Post by Kraken »

I'm having a problem with the action hero aspect -- Anderson's 50, Duchovny's almost 60, and they're still running and jumping and kicking and punching like 30-year-olds. Escaping a SWAT team while handcuffed together made me snort, and there are too many scenes like that one. I wish they had rewritten the characters to show experience and wisdom befitting their ages instead of pretending they haven't slowed down. Give Mulder some arthritis, dammit.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So, probably not going to see The Commuter, eh? :wink:
-mf
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Episode 3 was great, classic X-Files. Witty banter, eccentric antagonist(s), unique mystery and an interesting twist and conclusion. Very fun and entertaining “monster of the week” story.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What a great episode - Ozzie's Razor!
And did you notice the Nixon poster?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Loved the alien at the end. I guess they didn’t want life forms from a shithole planet immigrating across the universe.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That was a fun episode. Nice to see the political gloves come off; their previous digs were more oblique.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I loved it when Skinner asked, "Where are they taking Reggie?" It could change everything or nothing.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This was a great episode on so many levels. The humor and political commentary were spot on and many of you have called out some of the funniest bits. This is as good as any of their previous "comedy" episodes - I was laughing all the way.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I liked it. I wasn't really sure where they were going with it all, but the meta humor was great. I particularly enjoyed Scully's observation that she just wanted to remember some things the way they were. Definitely another classic.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Last week’s episode about AI, which I just got around to seeing now, was fantastic. It was one of those classic quirky surreal episodes that only the X-Files can successfully pull off. You could see the punch line coming from a mile off, but it was still pretty funny. I just loved this one.

PS, the continuing Trump references are great - “Bigly Credit”?! :D
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Last night's episode had a really high body count for an XF episode. I won't say what the total at the end of the night was, but it was
very unusual for it to be that high, with both adults and kids in the mix. MAN, it was a creepy one. Haven't seen one this creepy in a long time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Confirming what most have been mumbling since the last season aired, there are no plans for a season 12. :(
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RISE!

Still no plans for a new season, but apparently a reboot (remount?) has been floated:
"I just spoke to a young man, Ryan Coogler, who is going to remount 'The X-Files' with a diverse cast," Carter told host Gloria Macarenko in a retrospective segment about the series. While Carter didn't share other details about what sounds like either a reboot or legacy sequel series in development (the interview was largely about the show's Vancouver filming locations), he did add that Coogler has "got his work cut out for him, because we covered so much territory."

There's no news yet on where this updated version of "The X-Files" would air, whether it would share a title with the 1993 series, or if any cast members would return, but Carter's use of the term "remount" makes the project sound as if it might be a complete reboot (though, again, that's unconfirmed for now). While most franchise fans are resistant to reboots, "The X-Files" has such a long and winding mythology at this point that a clean slate would likely be the easiest way to approach the story of two FBI detectives tasked with exploring unexplained phenomena.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Screw that, reboot my beloved Kolchak! But do it right this time, damn it!
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

They're also rebooting The Passion with Mark Wahlberg.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Passion of the….Christ You’re An Awful Actor.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:10 pm RISE!

Still no plans for a new season, but apparently a reboot (remount?) has been floated:
"I just spoke to a young man, Ryan Coogler, who is going to remount 'The X-Files' with a diverse cast," Carter told host Gloria Macarenko in a retrospective segment about the series. While Carter didn't share other details about what sounds like either a reboot or legacy sequel series in development (the interview was largely about the show's Vancouver filming locations), he did add that Coogler has "got his work cut out for him, because we covered so much territory."

There's no news yet on where this updated version of "The X-Files" would air, whether it would share a title with the 1993 series, or if any cast members would return, but Carter's use of the term "remount" makes the project sound as if it might be a complete reboot (though, again, that's unconfirmed for now). While most franchise fans are resistant to reboots, "The X-Files" has such a long and winding mythology at this point that a clean slate would likely be the easiest way to approach the story of two FBI detectives tasked with exploring unexplained phenomena.
They should just let great shows lie. The magic in a bottle of shows like X-Files, Buffy, etc. can never be recaptured. Don’t spoil our memories with second hand knock offs.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It depends on the circumstances. For example, if Joe Straczynski ever does get his Babylon 5 reboot off the ground (I'm not holding my breath at this point), I'll watch it.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think reboots obviously feel a lot fresher when the original/most recent iteration occurred during a much different era of entertainment. While television has certainly changed profoundly since the late 90s, in terms of storytelling content it's changed far less than, say, between the 60s and the 90s.

The X-Files does have a format and mythology that could be reinvigorated I think. Especially by someone I expect to have a fresh take, like Coogler. I don't think he's going to be recasting Mulder and Scully. (I sure as hell hope not.)

Bear in mind there's a big difference between someone new being given the reins and the original creator(s) returning. Can JMS successfully update Babylon 5 for a new generation of television? I'm not sure. But if anyone can be relied upon for a strong and cohesive vision, it's him.

But for every Star Trek: TNG there are 20 misfires.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Also, I hope "remount" is tongue in cheek.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

X-Files suffered from being in the era that demanded 20+ episodes per season, which required a good deal of filler, and from being episodic rather than serial, resulting in mostly freak-of-the-week episodes. Their story arcs were mostly background that advanced slowly. I can see a lot of potential in adapting it to today's shorter, better-plotted seasons. That said, the relationship between Scully and Mulder was the heart of the original show. If they try to recreate that with a new Mully and Sculder pair it could suck hard.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sometimes. I prefer shorter seasons, but it has its drawbacks. Since every episode has to count and every episode has to push the story, there is no room for 'fun' episodes that played around with some tangent. And while a lot of monster of the week episodes were dull filler, a lot of them provided character development that we don't get any more.

Think about Buffy. A lot of the worst episodes were monster of the week, but some of the most memorable character moments took place in those episodes, elements that were built on in later seasons. Today you would never get episodes like The Zeppo, which is a favorite and was a big influence on other shows. It has nothing to do with the overarching plot at all, and most of the characters are barely in it. It's inefficient.

You just can't get to know the characters and setting the same way now that every rough edge is trimmed for brevity. We went from 30+ episode seasons to 24, to 14, to 12... and now we're down to 8 for many shows, resulting in some shows pushing efficiency to the point of feeling rushed (Wheel of Time, for instance.) We have gained some things, but we've lost some, too.

Although I am perfectly content to never see another clip show.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:22 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:10 pm RISE!

They should just let great shows lie. The magic in a bottle of shows like X-Files, Buffy, etc. can never be recaptured. Don’t spoil our memories with second hand knock offs.
Have you met studio executives?
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:40 am Sometimes. I prefer shorter seasons, but it has its drawbacks. Since every episode has to count and every episode has to push the story, there is no room for 'fun' episodes that played around with some tangent. And while a lot of monster of the week episodes were dull filler, a lot of them provided character development that we don't get any more.

Think about Buffy. A lot of the worst episodes were monster of the week, but some of the most memorable character moments took place in those episodes, elements that were built on in later seasons. Today you would never get episodes like The Zeppo, which is a favorite and was a big influence on other shows. It has nothing to do with the overarching plot at all, and most of the characters are barely in it. It's inefficient.

You just can't get to know the characters and setting the same way now that every rough edge is trimmed for brevity. We went from 30+ episode seasons to 24, to 14, to 12... and now we're down to 8 for many shows, resulting in some shows pushing efficiency to the point of feeling rushed (Wheel of Time, for instance.) We have gained some things, but we've lost some, too.

Although I am perfectly content to never see another clip show.
Agree about the absence of spontaneity/tangents. I recently re-watched all of Buffy and Angel, which had some very good one-offs (the musical episode) and some very bad ones ("Beer bad!"). Now I'm finishing up Farscape, which has the same unevenness. The storylines are weaker than I had remembered, but the character interactions are still enjoyable, especially Crichton's dialog (and Rigel's helium farts). I plan to revisit Babylon 5 in the near future, too. Going back to the old shows is a big time commitment, though. Buffy/Angel is well over 200 hours.