MLB 2023 Season - Now with Playoffs

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: MLB 2023 Season

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Friend of mine sent a photo of himself with Denny McLain in Lakeland camp. Denny is actually looking better these days. Legend.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:22 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 am
Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:42 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:12 pm The Red Sox are dominating their Spring Training games, and their new Japanese player (Yoshida) is raking in the WBC, so I feel comfortable buying World Series tickets at this point.
FWIW, one year the Cubs dominated in Spring Training and then started the season something like 3-30. I think they were mathematically eliminated by Memorial Day. Just like preseason football, only fools make post-season plans based on preseason outcomes. :P
Just to be clear I was joking. Baseball's weird sometimes and it's certainly *possible* that everything clicks for the Red Sox and they surprisingly contend, but in truth I would consider a third place finish to be a success this year.
I think everyone but Jeff got that. Between this and his missing the "What's a ute?" reference in the NCAA thread, I'm guessing Jeff was off after a long day of Ubering folks around.
Really? My post sounded that serious? I was just winging it...for all I know, the Red Sox could be odds-on favorites to have the team of the century and obliterate the record book. I was just sayin' though...
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

US vs. Japan coming up.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

MLB Network had an episode of their MLB Tonight dedicated to talking about the 2023 rule changes and their effects on the game. I learned quite a lot from it, especially about how allowing the pitcher only two pick-off/step-off the mound per batter will likely increase steal attempts and steals.

If you can find the episode online it is definitely worth watching.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:19 pm MLB Network had an episode of their MLB Tonight dedicated to talking about the 2023 rule changes and their effects on the game. I learned quite a lot from it, especially about how allowing the pitcher only two pick-off/step-off the mound per batter will likely increase steal attempts and steals.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-network-on ... ball-rules
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:28 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:19 pm MLB Network had an episode of their MLB Tonight dedicated to talking about the 2023 rule changes and their effects on the game. I learned quite a lot from it, especially about how allowing the pitcher only two pick-off/step-off the mound per batter will likely increase steal attempts and steals.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-network-on ... ball-rules
Yeah, that one :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm watching a spring training game right now, Cardinals vs Marlins, and the announcers are talking about the latest rules clarification memos. I searched and found this article from USA Today, released yesterday and updated today, with the latest updates. Also, similar article on Yahoo Sports.

If I seem to be unusually excited about baseball, it's probably because the last time I really paid attention to baseball was back in the nineties (hey, the NL now has designated hitters? :wink:). After a couple of decades of seriously watching only F1 and Indycar, I've decided to get back into following baseball. I was going to do it two years ago but Covid, and last year but strike :?, however things seem to be going well now. Also I like the new rules package too.
Clarification, after the two pick-off/step-off the mound allowed to the pitcher, the pitcher can make another attempt at a pick-off. This will result in a balk unless the pick-off results in an out.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:44 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:22 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 am
Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:42 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:12 pm The Red Sox are dominating their Spring Training games, and their new Japanese player (Yoshida) is raking in the WBC, so I feel comfortable buying World Series tickets at this point.
FWIW, one year the Cubs dominated in Spring Training and then started the season something like 3-30. I think they were mathematically eliminated by Memorial Day. Just like preseason football, only fools make post-season plans based on preseason outcomes. :P
Just to be clear I was joking. Baseball's weird sometimes and it's certainly *possible* that everything clicks for the Red Sox and they surprisingly contend, but in truth I would consider a third place finish to be a success this year.
I think everyone but Jeff got that. Between this and his missing the "What's a ute?" reference in the NCAA thread, I'm guessing Jeff was off after a long day of Ubering folks around.
Really? My post sounded that serious? I was just winging it...for all I know, the Red Sox could be odds-on favorites to have the team of the century and obliterate the record book. I was just sayin' though...
Update - the new Red Sox Japanese player (Yoshida) struck out in the first at bat that I saw him in (the WBC championship game, last night). Accordingly he is terrible, and the Red Sox will not win a single game.
Black Lives Matter.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:49 pm If I seem to be unusually excited about baseball, it's probably because the last time I really paid attention to baseball was back in the nineties (hey, the NL now has designated hitters? :wink:).
And today I just found out about PitchCom :-o
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:46 pm and the Red Sox will not win a single game.
That would be an astounding achievement and you should be grateful to have been alive to witness such a feat should it come to pass.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I was watching the Marlins hosting the Mets yesterday. One of the relief pitchers ran into trouble with the umpire, twice he was about to pitch before the batter was "alert to the pitcher". I'm sure there is a term for it, the final position the pitcher assumes before he begins his windup. This pitcher was waiting with his hands behind his back for awhile, then he put his hands together in front of himself. The moment he did that, the batter, who had just looked up, stepped back and the umpire immediately walked around the catcher towards the pitcher, pointing his finger at him. According to the announcers, that motion by the pitcher, putting his hands there, was the start of his pitch windup and because the batter was not "alert to the pitcher" the umpire gave the pitcher a warning. And then it happened again. I'll have to pay more attention to this.

Anyway, one of the things one of the announcers talked about was the pitch clock and while overall it was a good thing, he felt that it took away from some of the drama of the game and maybe the league might consider dropping the timers in the last inning or two. And maybe suspending its use in September and the playoffs. I'm not sure either way, the drama would be nice, but the players would have to unlearn what they have been building up to all spring training.

Sandy Alcantara was pitching for the Marlins and struck out the first eight Met batters :shock:. The ninth one grounded out and then Alcantara was pulled, I guess he looked ready :D. The game, eight and a half innings, was done in two hours ten minutes.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If the pitcher is on a pitch clock, then why is he being admonished for trying to make time while the batter is the one dicking around not paying attention?
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:01 pm If the pitcher is on a pitch clock, then why is he being admonished for trying to make time while the batter is the one dicking around not paying attention?
The countdown timer hadn't yet gone down to eight seconds so the batter wasn't yet in violation of the pitch timer. The countdown timer, either 15 or 20 seconds per the below, required the batter to be "alert to the pitcher" by the 8-second mark. However, until the batter is alert to the pitcher, the pitcher cannot begin his motion.
1. Pitch timer: The length of games will still be determined by innings, not minutes. But to create a crisper pace, there will be a 30-second timer between batters and then a shorter time limit between pitches. Pitchers will be required to begin their motion 15 seconds after receiving the ball with the bases empty or 20 seconds after receiving the ball with runners on base. If they don’t, they will be charged with an automatic ball.

Pitchers will also be limited to two disengagements from the mound (i.e. pickoff attempts or step-offs) per plate appearance with a runner on base. The disengagements reset the clock.

Batters, meanwhile, must be in the batter’s box and alert to the pitcher by the 8-second mark on the clock, or else be charged with an automatic strike.
It all sounds a bit awkward and complex, but it worked well in the minors last year and this spring training the major league players were pretty much all doing well with the new rules. There were maybe one or two violations per game but otherwise it works really well.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:34 pm
Pitchers will also be limited to two disengagements from the mound (i.e. pickoff attempts or step-offs) per plate appearance with a runner on base.
How does this work exactly? If there's two pick off attempts, then the runner is free to take a lead, say, to the next base without fear?

If they really want a faster game, let the pitcher throw when HE is ready. A new skill between pitcher and catcher will be how quickly they can turn around a pitch. Batters will also learn to reset to the ready position immediately after a pitch (assuming not hit) smacks the catcher's mitt. Foul balls might give some reprieve as a new ball is put in play by the umpire.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:56 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:34 pm
Pitchers will also be limited to two disengagements from the mound (i.e. pickoff attempts or step-offs) per plate appearance with a runner on base.
How does this work exactly? If there's two pick off attempts, then the runner is free to take a lead, say, to the next base without fear?
If the pitcher throws to first base a third time, it is a balk unless the pick-off is successful. So the runner can take a bigger lead if he desires, trying to balance the chance of getting successfully picked off versus forcing a balk and getting a free base. On the MLB Tonight episode when they talked about the new rules, the guys discussing and demonstrating this noted that after two disengagements the runner can take a bigger lead, especially with a right-handed pitcher. And a bigger lead means more steal attempts.
Jeff V wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:56 pmIf they really want a faster game, let the pitcher throw when HE is ready. A new skill between pitcher and catcher will be how quickly they can turn around a pitch. Batters will also learn to reset to the ready position immediately after a pitch (assuming not hit) smacks the catcher's mitt. Foul balls might give some reprieve as a new ball is put in play by the umpire.
No, because they want the pitch thrown safely. Batters might have to re-adjust after a big swing, like replanting their feet or tweaking their gloves or their guards. That 15 or 20 second timer gives the batter time to get ready before the 8 second mark. And for each at bat the batter is allowed one time out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
The use of a pitch clock shaved 26 minutes off spring training games this spring compared to last year as Major League Baseball is set to use it for the first time in the regular season beginning Thursday.

Games lasted 2:35 this spring compared to 3:01 in 2022 as pitchers were given 15 seconds between pitches to throw the ball when the bases were unoccupied and 20 seconds when runners were on base.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Opening Day! When half the teams will go undefeated and the other half will lose 100 games.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not in one day, that would be a record.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sadly ESPN's First Take spent more time this morning talking about WrestleMania that it did talking about baseball. It shows how much baseball has dropped in the public consciousness. But I'm still excited for it
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:27 am Not in one day, that would be a record.
I'm sure the Royals could find a way.

On a sports-related note, I cancelled my subscription to The Athletic this morning. I've been meaning to ever since they got bought out by the NYT but the final straw was that they haven't bothered to assign a reporter to the Royals since the previous one left at the end of last season. Kind of sad since I liked their coverage but the writers I went there to read (Rany, JoePos) are long gone and with no coverage of my favorite team there's no reason to support them.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm going to try to let go of my background seething for current Red Sox management and just enjoy the baseball. On top of that, expectations for this team are low enough that any amount of time they spend in contention this season is gravy.

Plus if this season immediately goes in the crapper then I'll kind of enjoy all the fan rage and booing.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If you have TMobile go into the Tuesday app to redeem MLB.tv for free. Available until the 4th. Can't watch local games but I mean it's free and you can watch anything else.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My closest team would be the Rays, but I'm not finding their games on my Spectrum cable. No problem since the Bally channel will be carrying every Marlin game, although some of them will be delayed. So now I'm a Marlins fan :wink:. I'm watching the pre-game show right now and the game is actually about to start. I won't post any scoring details without using spoiler tags, just in case.

Oh, Verlander isn't pitching for the Mets today, minor injury. So the Marlins might be doing more scoring.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:19 pm My closest team would be the Rays, but I'm not finding their games on my Spectrum cable. No problem since the Bally channel will be carrying every Marlin game, although some of them will be delayed. So now I'm a Marlins fan :wink:. I'm watching the pre-game show right now and the game is actually about to start. I won't post any scoring details without using spoiler tags, just in case.

Oh, Verlander isn't pitching for the Mets today, minor injury. So the Marlins might be doing more scoring.
Nah that would be tomorrow. Max has game 1. It sounds like a minor injury, but I mean this is going to happen all year. He's freaking 40.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

naednek

Post by naednek »

Of course Judge's first at bat is a homerun against the giants who were trying to get him during the winter.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:28 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:19 pm My closest team would be the Rays, but I'm not finding their games on my Spectrum cable. No problem since the Bally channel will be carrying every Marlin game, although some of them will be delayed. So now I'm a Marlins fan :wink:. I'm watching the pre-game show right now and the game is actually about to start. I won't post any scoring details without using spoiler tags, just in case.

Nah that would be tomorrow. Max has game 1. It sounds like a minor injury, but I mean this is going to happen all year. He's freaking 40.
You're right, that's tomorrow. It will be Max versus Sandy today. I'm still recording the game, I'll start watching it soon. I do this so I can wind through the commercials. OK, so it's not video tape any more, so it's not really winding forward :roll:

Ah, to be freaking 40 again :roll:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I see the Red Sox are already in peak 2022 form. I hope Chaim Bloom has a fresh resume ready to go.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:33 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:28 pm

You're right, that's tomorrow. It will be Max versus Sandy today. I'm still recording the game, I'll start watching it soon. I do this so I can wind through the commercials. OK, so it's not video tape any more, so it's not really winding forward :roll:

Ah, to be freaking 40 again :roll:
I'm 44 and was tired after sorting socks. So there is that. I think I may need to get out more. :lol:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Question. I've seen an outfielder on the Marlins after getting a ball and throwing it in pull a small card out of his pocket, look at it and read it and put it back into his pocket. I saw that happen in spring training as well. What is the little card?
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

It's probably the outfield shading (it's not a shift) plan for each hitter they're going to face. They move the outfielders a bit based on where a batter is most likely to hit a ball.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

First BAM of the season.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:06 pm It's probably the outfield shading (it's not a shift) plan for each hitter they're going to face. They move the outfielders a bit based on where a batter is most likely to hit a ball.
Thanks, good to know.

I do have a bit of personal history with the Marlins. I was there for their very first spring training game, and the next season for their very first spring training game at the new Space Coast Stadium about twenty minutes away from me.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:32 pm Of course Judge's first at bat is a homerun against the giants who were trying to get him during the winter.
Giants lose, and get shut out in the process. Probably a strong signal of the season to come. Decent to good pitching, good defense, bad offense.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:08 pm First BAM of the season.
BAM? :oops:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:21 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:08 pm First BAM of the season.
BAM? :oops:
Hrothgar posted his explanation as I was still typing essentially the same thing.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:30 pm Hrothgar posted his explanation as I was still typing essentially the same thing.
Where?

Just finished watching the Mets@Marlins game, very enjoyable. Total game time 2:42. It never felt like the pitch timer was rushing the game, each at bat seemed to move at a decent but not hurried pace. I remember two timer violations, one by a pitcher and once when a base runner who had taken off on a foul ball took his time meandering back to first base.

There was one memorable at bat where Scherzer was pitching to Chisholm with Segura waiting on first. As the timer counted down past the eight second mark Chisholm was alert to the pitcher Scherzer, then just before it seemed that Scherzer was about to throw Chisholm, holding absolutely still, said "Time". As the ump started to raise his arms Scherzer threw, wasting a pitch. Next two pitches Scherzer let the timer wind down to the very last second before starting his throw, returning the compliment. Great gamesmanship :D

I do somewhat miss back when the game moving slower, listening to the fun stories the announcers would tell. I am remembering the old Cubs announcer Harry Caray of course, and his grandson Chip Caray who along with Steve Stone made a lot of Cubs games even more fun.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:07 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:30 pm Hrothgar posted his explanation as I was still typing essentially the same thing.
Where?
I read his post just after I posted mine, then edited mine to say BAM.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:15 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:07 pm
Where?
I read his post just after I posted mine, then edited mine to say BAM.
Oh! I thought it was some obscure baseball term. I did a lot of searching... :roll:

On an MLB related topic, who has watched MLB games at which stadiums? I can lay claim to watching games at two locations which have since been razed or otherwise unused, although I don't think those occurrences are related :roll:. The first was (when I was there) Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego, which was originally San Diego Stadium and later Qualcomm Stadium. We were there for only one night game and the person who we sent to buy out tickets put us out in the nosebleed area of right field :roll:. We could barely even see the players at bat...

The other was the Astrodome. We had three night games there with very nice seats overlooking the first base line. We got the nice seats because my work buddy had made friends with someone high in the Astros organization. Because of him we also got a private tour of the Astros spring training facility when it was in St Cloud, FL, including the clubhouse where we sat with the spring training manager in his office while all these MLB players and prospects came by to get their per diem checks :wink:. Later that day we got to watch a game from the owner's seats which are very nice.

A few days later my buddy couldn't go to a game there so I bought my wife. This time we had seats where the rookies, prospects and player wives and girlfriends sit. We had brought a neighbor's little girl with us and an Astros player who was sitting behind us asked if it would be alright to offer the girl a piece of gum. We chatted a bit, turns out he had been traded to the Astros that winter and was getting his first pitching opportunity that day. After he left we asked one of the wives/girlfriends who that was. "Oh", she says, "That's Curt Schilling, he just came over from the Orioles" :D

Oops, forgot one other stadium, one that is still in use. We saw the Dodgers play at Dodgers Stadium, from the upper level behind home plate. And those seats were on a pretty steep slope, it was a bit unnerving to walk down to our places near the edge :shock:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've been to Reds, Rockies, and Rangers.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have been to The Murph, Petco Park, Anaheim Stadium, and minor league stadiums in Columbus and Birmingham (where I saw Michael Jordan play).
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter