[Movie] Dungeons & Dragons - again?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: [Movie] Dungeons & Dragons - again?

Post by Jeff V »

That's the thing, the books are not subjects of scholarly pursuit (as is LOTR), and the modules are mostly vapid -- their sole purpose is providing a conduit for characters to increase their stats and move from Level X to Level Y. When I think "D&D", there is not a single storyline I can recall that would make for a compelling movie. Best drop the shackles which are the rules, and do a free-form fantasy movie that gives no one any predisposition what to expect.

From the get-go, I found the modules to be absurd. So I started designing my own, and one day, after an 8 hour session, it was time for the players to check for advancement. Much to their surprise -- they did not get to check for any combat advancement because they fought nothing that entire time! That's when they decided they needed a system that rewarded success in non-combat skills. It also allowed me to create more interesting games, and the players all seemed to love it until the lot of them were simultaneously afflicted by adulthood. Well, not just the players...they'd have still played if I had time to create the content they'd become accustomed to.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

the modules are mostly vapid -- their sole purpose is providing a conduit for characters to increase their stats and move from Level X to Level Y.
Jeff V wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:32 pm When I think "D&D"
No offense intended, but it sounds like when you "think D&D", you're basing it on knowledge that is horribly out of date. For instance:
Jeff V wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:32 pm Much to their surprise -- they did not get to check for any combat advancement because they fought nothing that entire time! That's when they decided they needed a system that rewarded success in non-combat skills.
That has been D&D, as published, for years. In fact, the more recent modules skip experience points entirely in favor of advancing the characters when they hit certain story milestones and it makes sense - regardless of whether they fought monsters, navigated politics, conducted detailed investigations, or argued in court during that time. I've been in multiple sessions, including from published modules, that didn't involve a single combat.

And, FWIW, I'm not blind to its faults. I'd actually stopped playing D&D entirely in favor of other rules systems a year or two before COVID and politics ended my RPG time completely, mostly due to certain weaknesses in the rules. It's not the perfect system, and everything that it does, someone else has done better. But it also isn't the pen-and-paper version of Munchkin that you're describing.
That's the thing, the books are not subjects of scholarly pursuit (as is LOTR)
I'm not sure what you're getting at, to be honest. I don't think Peter Jackson took the scholarly examinations and analysis into account when making the first three LotR films. My point was that the setting is as thoroughly detailed as Middle Earth, with more written about it. There is a lot more to the world than 'a bunch of monsters in dungeons.' And yeah - a lot of the Forgotten Realms novels (that's the setting of the film) are mediocre to awful pulp, especially those written in the mid 1990s under TSR. But some were decent - even good.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It seems to me like if you take the game elements out of D&D, you're left with a swords & sorcery movie. If your S&S movie takes place within the D&D rule set and is fun, then I will allow calling it D&D.

I haven't been following this but I'll watch it if it's streaming where I already subscribe.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m not entering the theater for this one with any expectations of reverence to some kind of beloved literary endeavor. I’m just hoping to get a chuckle out of someone making fun of a horribly overused setting. And maybe seeing why some of you want to have sexual relations with snake women.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Neither am I. All I actually said in that regard was that I wish it wasn't a summer comedy. Everything beyond that was in response to JeffV's condescending, decades-outdated views of the game. I was never hoping for a 'literary endeavor' or reverence.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think that if the movie somehow captures/recreates the "feel" of playing D&D with your friends, the movie will be a winner. I finished the second season of Vox Machina a few weeks ago and without getting into spoilers, there were scenes that very much felt like things players would come up with to try and solve a plot barricade - it made the show much more relatable for me, imho.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The biggest draw for me is that it seems to be set in the Forgotten Realms. I loved that campaign setting back in the AD&D 1E/2E days.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:31 am Neither am I. All I actually said in that regard was that I wish it wasn't a summer comedy. Everything beyond that was in response to JeffV's condescending, decades-outdated views of the game. I was never hoping for a 'literary endeavor' or reverence.
I see no denials regarding sexual relations with snake women in this reply.
I wish it wasn't a summer comedy.
Guardians of the Galaxy had the same kind of tone and feel, if the trailers are any example of the film's approach. I'm fine with that. Summer comedy fits my view of what D&D can be.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If it is popular, I will feel sorry for the DMs out there dealing with players who all want to play misfit rogue screw-ups.

I lived through the Raistlin Years, and I survived the Invasion of the Dual-Wielding Drow. I feel their pain.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:47 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:31 am Neither am I. All I actually said in that regard was that I wish it wasn't a summer comedy. Everything beyond that was in response to JeffV's condescending, decades-outdated views of the game. I was never hoping for a 'literary endeavor' or reverence.
I see no denials regarding sexual relations with snake women in this reply.
They turn me to stone, baby.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:49 am If it is popular, I will feel sorry for the DMs out there dealing with players who all want to play misfit rogue screw-ups.
As teens we played and I never took it seriously. A friend and I played half elf brothers who worshiped The Grand Poobah from the Flintstones. The DM just let us do so in order to appease us. Then we made the roll to succeed when pleading with our god....
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Most DMs I played with would not have appeased you. :wink:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:05 am Most DMs I played with would not have appeased you. :wink:
As you are aware, every group can play any way they want if everyone agrees and it is fun for everyone.

That said, sounds like Hep's group would have had more fun with Paranoia.

I definitely would have declined playing in any irreverent flintstones themed games. They just aren't for me. I don't begrudge anyone their fun though.

That doesn't mean humour can't be part of any good rpg. It can, and in my opinion, should. I'm just not fond of cartoonish behaviour. Of course I'm saying this as a 50+ year old, not as an 8 year old trying to get his friends to play.

And Jeff is just being Jeff. Millions of players disagree with him. Shocking, I know.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have almost no interest in this movie, despite being quite interested in most things D&D.

And Pine is over rated. Wildly over rated. :wink: :lol:

edit: Although I'm sure I'll see it, once it's streaming.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:22 am That doesn't mean humour can't be part of any good rpg. It can, and in my opinion, should. I'm just not fond of cartoonish behaviour.
Absolutely! My group's warlock, for instance, insisted that his core spell was "Etheridge Bolt" (the spell is actually Eldritch Bolt.) Every time he'd cast it, he'd chant the magic words, "Come to my window..." Or when the half-orc warrior found a pretty lady half-orc and wanted to engage in some horizontal warfare - always an awkward roleplaying experience. They went upstairs, and the entire scene was played out from the perspective of their teammates down in the tavern, covering their drinks in an awkward silence as plaster rained down and a bed leg punched through the ceiling. We had our laughs, then got back to the story.

It wasn't expected that everyone was serious, just that our shared world had the possibility of serious scenes/moments, and that the humor wasn't taken so far as to be disruptive. There were absolutely times where we paused play for a while to laugh and joke before getting back to a serious scene.

And yeah, there's a big difference between a bunch of junior high or high school kids playing and a group of adults in their 30s and 40s (now 50s, if I ever get a game going again...) playing.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My kids treat D&D as collecting a ragtag group of NPCs.

Dogs, an abused goblin who realized playing along was the ticket to a better life, and now Pip the adoring farm boy. They risked death checks for the main player’s character to keep their Revivify spell available when child named Pip (6 hp) took a 66 point damage lightning breath from a Blue Dragon during an attack on the town. They were willing to reroll to save only him, and not the other 20 townsfolk at risk. Now that Pip’s dad is dead, I fully expect they’ll demand to become foster parents.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:05 am Most DMs I played with would not have appeased you. :wink:
Yeah, there are some people who take this stuff WAY too seriously, I agree. :P
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:10 am My kids treat D&D as collecting a ragtag group of NPCs.
Gotta collect them all.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:13 am
Yeah, there are some people who take this stuff WAY too seriously, I agree. :P
And when I played with my kids when they were little, I didn't take it nearly as seriously. But sometimes the grownups like to play, and they like big-kid stories that challenge them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm just pulling your snake woman loving chain. When we were teens we had a friend who wasn't a RPG player join us and he kept creating characters named after Cleveland Indian players. It annoyed us because we wanted a more fantasy based game. So I understand.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:34 pm I'm just pulling your snake woman loving chain. When we were teens we had a friend who wasn't a RPG player join us and he kept creating characters named after Cleveland Indian players. It annoyed us because we wanted a more fantasy based game. So I understand.
So what class was Manny Ramirez?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't remember which players he created characters for, but I do remember they all had to wield bats (i.e. clubs). He also drew pictures of them that included what can only be described as elephantiasis of the right arm.

I also remember playing with a guy who would roll a 20 sided die nervously while playing, and when he'd roll a natural 20, he'd set it aside and claim he was saving it for a later roll. I try to apply this philosophy to life.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had a player who joined us for the first time. We were playing a Star Wars 1-off using Savage Worlds. He was playing a droid. His droid name?
Spoiler:
N1663R
That player had joined us for the last time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dude, you advertise for players on Craigslist and you're gonna get Klan members. I don't know how many times I have to tell you this.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You miss my point, which is how can one expect a great work of art (on par with LOTR) when the material is anything but? I explained why I thought a good "D&D" movie cannot be made that satisfies everyone. A good sword and sorcery movie is certainly possible, but shackling it with conventions used in the role playing game makes it unlikely a movie would encapsulate the essence of D&D (be an obvious D&D movie) and still be an actually good movie. Now if you can adjust your expectations (as I often do with such movies), it can be enjoyable -- I just wouldn't expect a boatload of Oscar nominations.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

how can one expect a great work of art (on par with LOTR) when the material is anything but?
Right on, Jeff-man! That's like comparing Frank Herbert to his son!

Last edited by hepcat on Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:34 pm I'm just pulling your snake woman loving chain.
If only I wasn't such a goddamned holy paladin.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:46 pm
You miss my point, which is how can one expect a great work of art (on par with LOTR) when the material is anything but? I explained why I thought a good "D&D" movie cannot be made that satisfies everyone. A good sword and sorcery movie is certainly possible, but shackling it with conventions used in the role playing game makes it unlikely a movie would encapsulate the essence of D&D (be an obvious D&D movie) and still be an actually good movie. Now if you can adjust your expectations (as I often do with such movies), it can be enjoyable -- I just wouldn't expect a boatload of Oscar nominations.
FWIW, novels (good or bad) set in RPG worlds don't use RPG conventions. They're stories based on the lore and setting, not on the rules or what the people around the table are doing. Unless you're watching The Gamers. You could literally set the Lord of the Rings in the Forgotten Realms and call it a D&D movie (you'd just have to say Gandalf lost his spellbook.) Not every D&D campaign is built around dungeons and/or dragons, or around traps, or around monsters designed by Gygax from dollar store toys.
You miss my point, which is how can one expect a great work of art (on par with LOTR) when the material is anything but?
Do you want a long list of fantastic films based off of works that were not a 'great work of art'?
Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:46 pm Now if you can adjust your expectations (as I often do with such movies), it can be enjoyable -- I just wouldn't expect a boatload of Oscar nominations.
My expectations are fine. I expect to to be good for a laugh. All I really said was that I wished that they'd done something more with it.

But now we're going in circles.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Was gonna post this tlast week but forgot with everything goung on with me.
My wife and I got to see it this past Sunday. She doesn't really understand D&D but she enjoyed it non the less.
I know a bit more and have played and I enjoyed it as well. I had trouble understanding what some things were due to my shot memory but some things clicked.
My favorite thing that clicked was
Spoiler:
a live action version of the OG cartoon crew but no GM with them. It went pretty fast and they looked decent but as much as I'd like them to go with a full live action show or movie with them they really need to recast I think. ESOECIALLY Bobby. He looked older then all of them. Oh snd they also need to bring back Uni.
The plot was easy to keep up with although I'm sure that there were plenty of references that I just didn't catch.
It had a few slow spots but overall moved along pretty well. It did have humor but it wasn't just blasting in your face all the time. I probably missed some direct D&D humor that people who know the lore would catch.
I'd say give it a try. I'll probably grab digital when it comes out to see if I can catch new stuff...or by the time it's out it will all be new to me and I can watch it for the 1st time again.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just bought tickets to take all the kids on Friday afternoon. Reading more of the reviews (it's up to 91% on RT), I'm probably far more excited than I should be.

Interestingly, we were the only tickets purchased for a 1:30 opening day showing during Spring Break. I kinda thought there might be more interest.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is coming to my local IMAX. But even with money I couldn't see it because its at 7pm and I cant see after dark..between my old eyes and the cars foggy headlights I dont see the headlights at all and only about 10' in front of me at night lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Please don't suck...please don't suck...please don't suck.

Joe Manganiello to Head a Live-Action Dragonlance Adaptation

I suppose it couldn't be any worse than that weird animated version from 2008.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:55 pm Just bought tickets to take all the kids on Friday afternoon. Reading more of the reviews (it's up to 91% on RT), I'm probably far more excited than I should be.

Interestingly, we were the only tickets purchased for a 1:30 opening day showing during Spring Break. I kinda thought there might be more interest.
Do let us know what you think of it. I'm actually more excited for this than I am for any of the latest Marvel films. Which is the complete opposite of all my previous movie going preferences.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We're actually planning to see it Saturday. It was this or Shazam - we couldn't afford both.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:19 pm We're actually planning to see it Saturday. It was this or Shazam - we couldn't afford both.
The one starring Sinbad?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Watched it with my daughter. As soon as the movie ended, she asked if there is going to be a sequel to it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Then you told her there was one, but that it starred Mark Wahlberg this time and she started crying?
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:36 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:19 pm We're actually planning to see it Saturday. It was this or Shazam - we couldn't afford both.
The one starring Sinbad?
Hey that gets an 80 rating lol. Im not sure how...but its got to be better than Kazaam.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You should look for it on all the streaming services. Really put some time into it.
Covfefe!
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:42 pm Then you told her there was one, but that it starred Mark Wahlberg this time and she started crying?
I don't think she knows Mark Wahlberg. :)