Jedi: Fallen Order

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

pr0ner

Re: Jedi: Fallen Order

Post by pr0ner »

Scraper wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 am The biggest problem that I had with the game is that it was very short. If you paid full price that can hurt, but if you're playing it off EA Play or at a steep discount then it's not a big deal. Especially since the actual game is good.
How long would you say the game is? A shorter game would definitely hold more appeal to me.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:38 pm How long would you say the game is? A shorter game would definitely hold more appeal to me.
I finished it in about 16 hours on story mode. If you wanted to get nutty and go for all the unlocks/hidden bits, I can imagine it would be over 20 (maybe longer).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:38 pm
Scraper wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 am The biggest problem that I had with the game is that it was very short. If you paid full price that can hurt, but if you're playing it off EA Play or at a steep discount then it's not a big deal. Especially since the actual game is good.
How long would you say the game is? A shorter game would definitely hold more appeal to me.
I finished it on regular mode in about 12 hours. Its good the entire 12, i was just left wanting more.
FTE
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I went back through and got every conceivable item and kill, clocking in at 103 hours. YMMV.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

12-20 hours is definitely my speed.

103 is not.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

103 would be a super wild outlier. There is NOT 103 hours of content here.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=60145
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:06 pm 103 would be a super wild outlier. There is NOT 103 hours of content here.

Those How Long To Beat numbers do look super reasonable.
Hodor.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:06 pm 103 would be a super wild outlier. There is NOT 103 hours of content here.

Agreed. I loved this game and played the hell out of it, but there's no way I could squeeze 100 hours out of it. No chance.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Kurth wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:25 pm

Agreed. I loved this game and played the hell out of it, but there's no way I could squeeze 100 hours out of it. No chance.
I may be a lower end outlier, but if this game takes you more than 20 hours to beat then you are just
really slow.
FTE
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Or a completionist. I went through twice, and the second time through I maxed out every skill tree.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:44 pm Or a completionist. I went through twice, and the second time through I maxed out every skill tree.
Yeah, for games that really get their hooks in me, I tend to be more on the completionist end of the spectrum. Still, pretty sure I finished Fallen Order in under 40 hours.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I went back and finished this. I can't remember the game that made me put it down in the first place. There was enough fun in the back half that I'm glad I did, but the game's flaws kept rearing their ugly heads. Some thoughts:

-- Coming back I really sucked. That's mostly on me for walking away and restarting in the middle. The game did me no favors in providing feedback on what I was doing wrong.
-- Most of the times I died I didn't get quite far enough away to allow enough time for slow BD stim animation to finish before being interrupted. On the plus side, if I survived, I didn't lose the stim for being hit.
-- Why could random bounty hunters shrug off force powers?
-- The finishing animations were cool, but if I could slice through limbs that easily, why did I have to whittle down their health bar?
-- It's a great feeling defeating a whole squad of stormtroopers without a scratch
-- I enjoyed the force echo back stories even though it was a pain to find all the pieces
-- The ending fight? and chase sequence was awesome
-- The Metroidvania parts needed clear paths to get to the new sections. I understand the lack fast travel. I don't understand running in circles because the map isn't clear on how to get back to an area. Hey Google, I mean BD, plot me a route please.
-- There has to be a better balance on force use/force recharge rate. It felt more like Jedi: Running on Empty.
-- There was too much cut and paste. Oh look another, cave, slide and section to squeeze through.
-- I liked most of the characters even though the close ups on Cere's character model freaked me out.
-- It would have been cool if customizing my lightsaber had some gameplay effects.

Jedi: Fallen Order felt so close to a game I could love. One reviewer said he should have just replayed the Force Unleashed. I kind of felt the same way, but the end nearly redeemed it for me. I'll be hopeful for a J:FO 2 but will be waiting for reviews.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:12 pm
-- It would have been cool if customizing my lightsaber had some gameplay effects.
I thought the double blade had an effect...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

It does, but that's more of a fighting stance change. I was thinking more along the lines of attack strength, attack speed, range, block, parry, force power strength and force recovery. That way your lightsaber could reflect how you wish to deal with combat. Some could obviously have pluses and minuses to different categories. It would make loot more valuable and give you more interesting choices.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, I finally went back and played this again - finally finishing it. I did enjoy the story for the most part. (This game is old so not hiding things behind spoiler tags.) The Order 66 section was my favorite part from a story perspective. Just fantastic. The rest of the story was fine. Wish I had more to do with the final crew member you get. A lot of interesting stuff there that isn't mined at all since you basically go off and win the game once you get her. Of course the final conflict with you know who was a nice surprise, but it was surprisingly short and ended up feeling anti-climactic as a result.

I didn't really care for the Souls aspects of the game. This is really the only "Souls like" I have played. Even with the casual difficulty, I found the mechanics irritating. Given how this game on the easiest difficulty provided me plenty of frustration, it has done little to encourage me to branch out further into this genre.

I did like the Metroidvania aspect of the game, and in fact would have been happier with even more focus on that. More actual abilities would have made things even more fun. I wasn't really into the increased combat moves requiring me to remember more button presses. I am too stupid for that. After being delighted with the blatant rip off of the Metroid Prime map, I did end up finding it a little bit less well implemented. I had a few times, where there isn't a good idea of where to go. Mostly it was finding a particular underwater area I needed to swim through. Lots and lots of bactktracking caused from this.

I did like the game overall. Cal and BD are awesome. The other characters were good. At times the gameplay is really fun. I will probably be in for the sequel. Though, not sure at full price. Next time I would like more Metroid and less Souls, but I doubt I will get that.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

JCC wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:29 pm I didn't really care for the Souls aspects of the game. This is really the only "Souls like" I have played. Even with the casual difficulty, I found the mechanics irritating. Given how this game on the easiest difficulty provided me plenty of frustration, it has done little to encourage me to branch out further into this genre.

To me, the souls-like nature of the game felt tacked on rather than taken into account from the beginning. It's like they saw how popular those types of games were becoming and decided to up the difficulty. The problem is that the level design didn't really feel like it was designed for it. I've lost count of how many times I've died due to the level geometry or missing my jumps entirely due to the camera angle, which if you're in regular mode, each time you fall depletes max health until you're forced to restart from a checkpoint.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I started a second playthrough on the PS5 version. Obi Wan's release got me wanting to play it again since this game and Obi Wan's Story have a lot in common. I wonder if they'll ever introduce a live action version of Kal? If so Obi Wan would be the perfect place to do it.
FTE
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone know if this has been free via Epic, or Gamepass for PC, or anywhere else? I'd like to kick myself in the ass if so.

How did I not even know about this game?! A single player SW game that's available on PC would get instant wishlisted as soon as I got a whiff of it.

Weird. OO has failed me....for the last time!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

177 posts over more than 3 years and we failed you? I think you've failed yourself.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:26 pm 177 posts over more than 3 years and we failed you? I think you've failed yourself.
Your discussion failed to stand out enough. Therefore, you are at fault.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jag wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:32 pm Pretty good for the low price of FREE

Amazon Prime gaming free games for the month (January 2022):

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order Origin
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:46 pm

SONOFA....
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:48 pm

SONOFA....
It's on EA Play which means you should be able to access it via GamePass.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:52 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:48 pm

SONOFA....
It's on EA Play which means you should be able to access it via GamePass.
Sigh. Please disregard my recent, previous posts in this thread. I am a moron.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scraper wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:42 am I started a second playthrough on the PS5 version. Obi Wan's release got me wanting to play it again since this game and Obi Wan's Story have a lot in common. I wonder if they'll ever introduce a live action version of Kal? If so Obi Wan would be the perfect place to do it.
They already have had a crossover of sorts, apparently.

https://kotaku.com/obi-wan-kenobi-star- ... 1849009341
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

If you don't have EA play, Gamepass or didn't pick it up on Amazon prime, Steam has it on sale for $4.79 which Isthereanydeal tells me is the lowest price ever. I really enjoyed the game despite minor flaws. Perhaps the upcoming sequel has sparked someone's interest.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This first one is $5 and I still wont buy it....I want a good sw shooter / jedi knight game...but dont care for the pc slant of the game or how it seems like its a star wars dark souls...I hate that type game. I like to have fun not be punished .
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:49 pm how it seems like its a star wars dark souls...I hate that type game. I like to have fun not be punished .
You know you can dial down the difficulty, right. I finished it on easy mode no problem and I’m terrible at action games.

It’s not a shooter, but it’s nowhere near a Dark Souls game either.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:55 pm It’s not a shooter, but it’s nowhere near a Dark Souls game either.
Seriously. I am not even really a fan of the SW universe and it was enjoyable enough. For $5? It's a no-brainer, and yes, putting it on story mode was perfect.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My first thought on seeing the trailer thumbnail was Star Wars: Cantina Boy Band.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also: More non-Jedi Star Wars games, please! (Other than flight sims, that is.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I really hope they've fixed the traversal issues. It was a fun enough game, but figuring out where to go, along with its map, was a frustrating experience. Add some fast-travel between already visited locations and you're golden. But don't make us backtrack so much over a confusing series of levels.

Oddly enough, I feel it was a game that was designed in mind for easy mode, while all the other difficulty levels felt arbitrary by increasing the difficulty of certain aspects, and that difficulty felt completely artificial to me.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JCC

Post by JCC »

I liked Fallen Order. Didn't love the Souls-ish mechanics either. But, I loved the Zelda/Metroidvania aspects of it (wish that was more of an emphasis than it was in fact). The story was quite fun particularly as a huge fan of Clone Wars and Rebels (not that having seen those is required). Cal is a great, fun character. The game is easily worth its current low price. Very excited for the sequel.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:40 pm Also: More non-Jedi Star Wars games, please! (Other than flight sims, that is.)
Ive wanted a new Republic Commando squad based shooter since playing the first one. I think Ive played it 3 times.

I had a lot of fun in the old days playing Jedi Knight 2 multiplayer. Force choking someone then swinging them over a ledge and letting go was always fun.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:51 pm I really hope they've fixed the traversal issues. It was a fun enough game, but figuring out where to go, along with its map, was a frustrating experience. Add some fast-travel between already visited locations and you're golden. But don't make us backtrack so much over a confusing series of levels.
I think the game tried to pad its content by forcing all the backtracks. It got a bit annoying.

That said, I really liked the game overall. Not an all-time great but more memorable than it maybe should be considering some of its flaws.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Inverarity wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:32 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:51 pm I really hope they've fixed the traversal issues. It was a fun enough game, but figuring out where to go, along with its map, was a frustrating experience. Add some fast-travel between already visited locations and you're golden. But don't make us backtrack so much over a confusing series of levels.
I think the game tried to pad its content by forcing all the backtracks. It got a bit annoying.

That said, I really liked the game overall. Not an all-time great but more memorable than it maybe should be considering some of its flaws.
This is pretty much my take. I thought it was really solid, despite its issues.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, it definitely did. Plus, I don't think the levels were all that interesting either. I mean, who designs these outposts with all these gaps in them? How do the stormtroopers all get there?

I found on the normal difficulty level that I would die just as often due to geometry and hitbox issues, which made the difficulty even more of a pain, which is why I don't think it was initially designed this way.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:34 pm
Oh, it definitely did. Plus, I don't think the levels were all that interesting either. I mean, who designs these outposts with all these gaps in them? How do the stormtroopers all get there?

I found on the normal difficulty level that I would die just as often due to geometry and hitbox issues, which made the difficulty even more of a pain, which is why I don't think it was initially designed this way.
These are my first gripes after just starting and doing the jedi vault first planet.

1. The map kinda sucks.
2. No fast travel points.
3. Lots of backtracking.
4. Would be nice if the lightsaber upgrade bench had some mark beside what parts have new items in them. Having to check all right now is lame.
5. Some places are not clear. Like why cant I make that jump?? Or how do I get there? Once I got wall running some became clear to me.
6. Why can I slide down a wire but not climb back up it?

Otherwise it looks good and plays fine on EPIC even on my 10+ year old system. I do not really agree with their decision to go all Tomb Raider with my old Jedi games but dealing with it. I dont recall Luke having to climb moss walls and use ziplines. Or Kyle for that matter lol.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:51 pm
5. Some places are not clear. Like why cant I make that jump?? Or how do I get there? Once I got wall running some became clear to me.
Yeah, and that's just it, isn't it? I don't think they use clear design language. In fact, there are many times they often contradict themselves. And all that is made worse by the fact that you never get a clear reading of the map and never quite know where you're supposed to go. I don't remember if you have a way to have the droid give you a hint, but if not, they should have absolutely done that. One of my favourite hint systems is in the Prince of Persia reboot from 2008. Calling up the hint system would have a whisp of magic show you the closest patch towards your objective. The entire game has a similar directionless open-ended maze to what Fallen Order had.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Once or twice BD went a direction and stood and Cal asked him if something was over that way. Bout it.