Messing with All These AI Tools...

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Messing with All These AI Tools...

Post by Kasey Chang »

Feel free to share your experiences as you play with the AI tools.

I have played with ChatGPT, BlueWillow (similar to MidJourney), and I'm now installing Invoke.AI, the open source version. It claims to generate a picture in about 10 seconds if you have a powerful enough RTX video card. I happen to have an RTX2070, so we shall see. Install is... 18 gigs (Yikes!)

Maybe I should install another hard drive. LOL.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Re: Messing with All These AI Tools...

Post by Kasey Chang »

InvokeAI was kicking my *** but I think I finally got it solved. I figured out a bug in their installer and got it patched so my copy should run as soon as it downloads all the fancy shmancy models.

And they have different models trained on photos vs manga/anime vs fantasy art. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finally did get it working, but the first picture is taking... just over 7 minutes. :coffee: I'm a bit... underwhelmed, but I guess I was spoiled by Bluewillow kicking back 4 variations in about 15-30 seconds. :pop:

"Astronaut riding on a horse in space" (stable diffusion model 1.5)
Enlarge Image

"astronaut riding on starship enterprise in earth's atmosphere, realistic," (dreamlike photoreal-2.0)
Enlarge Image
??? :shock: :doh: :grund: :think: :whistle:
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ultimately, I find the tools a bit underwhelming, but it may be my hardware, which is hardly optimized. It's pegging my CPU and GPU 100% for 8 minutes just to generate a 512x512 picture. It's an interesting toy, but it's not very... practical unless I invest in some new GPU and revamp my cooling (I think my cooling loop is goofed as it claims my CPU is at 100C?!) and I really don't have any money for that.

Whoever claims they can get pictures rendered in under a minute must be sporting way better hardware than I am.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Well that's no wonder, if the CPU reaches 100C it's probably getting throttled down. It's probably best to take a proper look at that cooler, I had a similar problem with an AIO cooler where the pump started failing.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The funny thing is this is the replacement. The original *did* fail, and was replaced in 2021. But somehow this isn't working to spec. I wonder if I had reversed the header on the mainboard or something.

I really should just replace that single unit liquid cooler with a good air cooler. I think I'll get that CM Hyper 212, the classic. And install the case fans I bought (I actually have 3 sitting on my shelf, too lazy to put them in)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

On my PC, it took less than 1 minute to generate a 512x512 picture using the default standard parameters.

i5 9400 and RTX 3060 Ti 8GB.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm at about 4 seconds with a RTX3080 Ti (12 GB). Reading the comments on Sunija's page, the difference between 8 GB and 12 GB is massive.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Victoria Raverna

Anyone tried automatic1111 ?

How does that compare to invokeAI.

I want to try ControlNet but from what I read, InvokeAI doesn't support extension so can't use ControlNet?

I wonder if I can install automatic1111 and use the same models from the invokeai install instead of redownloading the models and have separate folder for it.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I thought an RTX 2070 is roughly like a 3060? Guess my AIO cooler is messed up. LOL.
Victoria Raverna

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:49 am I thought an RTX 2070 is roughly like a 3060? Guess my AIO cooler is messed up. LOL.
Have you checked if invokeai is installed correctly and use your GPU instead of CPU? Maybe it is still using CPU instead of GPU?
Victoria Raverna

One more thing, Kasey.

Do you know how to delete models? The invoke.ai include UI to add models including the ability to import it from internet like huggingface.co but can't find an interface to delete them. Only the starter models that come with InvokeAI can be install and uninstall easily using the import tool but not those that are we import from internet or from local folder.
Victoria Raverna

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:23 am One more thing, Kasey.

Do you know how to delete models? The invoke.ai include UI to add models including the ability to import it from internet like huggingface.co but can't find an interface to delete them. Only the starter models that come with InvokeAI can be install and uninstall easily using the import tool but not those that are we import from internet or from local folder.
Found it, there is a model manager in the web UI.
Victoria Raverna

Installed Automatic1111 Stable Diffussion Web UI to test out ControlNet extension. Like InvokeAI Web UI better but it still doesn't support extension so can't work with ControlNet.

Very useful since it allow you to use a pose guide model to pose the characters that the AI generated and probably can do more than that. Still experimenting with it.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I really need that AIO cooler checked properly. :D One of these days, man. One of these days. This is a full tower, so taking it on the bus to a shop will be a bit difficult, and it's a messing set of cables back there. Guess that's why I bought a $20 tiny label printer. LOL.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Now there's a GPT for home call simply GPT4ALL