"How conservatives transformed a Colorado school district"

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

"How conservatives transformed a Colorado school district"

Post by Smoove_B »

This topic crosses a few we've covered here, so in the interest of consolidation, I create a dedicated discussion:
WOODLAND PARK, Colo. — When a conservative slate of candidates won control of the school board here 18 months ago, they began making big changes to reshape the district.

Woodland Park, a small mountain town that overlooks Pikes Peak, became the first — and, so far, only — district in the country to adopt the American Birthright social studies standard, created by a right-wing advocacy group that warns of the “steady whittling away of American liberty.” The new board hired a superintendent who was previously recalled from a nearby school board after pushing for a curriculum that would “promote positive aspects of the United States.” The board approved the community’s first charter school without public notice and gave the charter a third of the middle school building.

As teachers, students and parents began protesting these decisions, the administration barred employees from discussing the district on social media. At least two staff members who objected to the board’s decisions were later forced out of their jobs, while another was fired for allegedly encouraging protests.

These rapid and sweeping shifts weren’t coincidental — instead it was a plan ripped from the MAGA playbook designed to catch opponents off guard, according to a board member’s email released through an open records request.

When asked to respond to criticism from school personnel and parents, Illingworth, the board's vice president, replied in an email: “I wasn’t elected to please the teacher’s union and their psycho agenda against academic rigor, family values, and even capitalism itself. I was elected to bring a parent’s voice and a little common sense to the school district, and voters in Woodland Park can see I’ve kept my promises.”

As the school year winds down, many of the Woodland Park School District’s employees are heading for the exit, despite recently receiving an 8% raise. At least four of the district’s top administrators have quit because of the board’s policy changes, according to interviews and emails obtained through records requests. Nearly 40% of the high school’s professional staff have said they will not return next school year, according to an administrator in the district.
I know this kind of thing is happening all over to different degrees, but this seems like a good overview of what they're hoping to accomplish.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Re: "How conservatives transformed a Colorado school district"

Post by Jaymann »

Fun fact: I visited the top of Pike's Peak where my great uncle had a store.
Last edited by Jaymann on Tue May 09, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...and as of today, no student in Woodland Park, CO could tell you where Pike's Peak is.
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Ottawa County in Michigan is pulling the same trick.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Good article about how MAGA is focused heavily on schools as sites of culture war conflict.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

FWIW, it has been a long time since a rising generation allowed their school teachers to tell them what to think about cultural issues.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

That's what they did in our school district also. 3 positions were available and all three were won by candidates funded by conservative PACs. I don't think it was spending exactly. It's not like I saw an ad or anything. I suspect it was politicking from local churches.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog