Miasma Chronicles [Is XCOM-like a genre?]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Miasma Chronicles [Is XCOM-like a genre?]

Post by coopasonic »

It's another wander around in real time with two action turn based combat game from the developers of Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. Reviews look ok and I am tempted to pick it up. I wish it weren't $50 (released today), but I think I am ok with $50 too. My birthday is coming soon!

It's actually $39 on fanatical right now and i have another 5% off coupon so bought it. Impressions eventually.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Re: Miasma Chronicles [Is XCOM-like a genre?]

Post by coopasonic »

& hours in and it reminds me a LOT of Mutant Year Zero. That's not a bad thing, but also not a great thing. If you liked that gameplay, you'll probably like this. Use stealth to thin the herd before you go loud and get punished.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks for the heads up. I love these turned based tactical games, but the review of Mutant whatever/whatever weren't good, so even though I have it from a humble bundle monthly, I haven't tried it.

Even if I don't get this one, I appreciate you bringing it to our attention. Love these types of games.

Except Jagged Alliance. Heresy, I know.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Thanks. I didn't realize it was from that team. I enjoyed it but not Corruption 2029 so will wait for reviews and a sale. Looking forward to your impressions if you're so inclined :)
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

For those that don't mind EGS, it should be $37.50 with the mega coupon. Epic also has achievements now if that matters to anyone.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I believe you can get a Steam code for the same price on Green Man Gaming if you're an XP member (which makes this 25% off, not 22%, using your XP discount code).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it this evening after taking a break for Tears of the Kingdom and Diablo 4. It's a solid game with a story that varies between interesting and frustrating. Gameplay is just challenging enough. There are little mini-puzzles to unlock doors that require passcodes that are somewhat imaginative. The idea of thinning the packs of enemies through stealth and silent kills carries over from Mutant Year Zero. Overall thumbs up, but it's no XCOM 2.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Down to $20 on Steam. Might be worth the attempt now.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Moliere wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:31 pm Down to $20 on Steam. Might be worth the attempt now.
And there is a bundle with Mutant Year Zero included, so If you already have MTZ, the Bundle is $17.99 for just Miasma Chronicles...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Finished the game this morning. Turn based tactical RPG's remain my current favorite video game genre.

Observations about the game:
1) I rarely used the miasma powers.
2) I bought maybe 2 items from vendors the whole game. And one of those (a level 3 shotgun) was dropped on the next mission. :evil:
3) Mason: First, it's funny that his head travels around in a jar the whole game. Second, I almost never used him except
Spoiler:
when Elvis temporarily left the group.
4) Jade: My favorite companion.
5) Bha Mahdi: I never used her as a companion. Her powers didn't seem that useful.
6) Battle tactics remained the same for most of the game: stealth approach the group and find single enemies I could distract or teleport from their squad. I also used Jade's stealth sniper rifle + Digg's stealth assault rifle + Elvis' stealth melee shock punch to take out individual enemies in the first round before they could alert their squad.

End game disappointment:
Spoiler:
After killing the first 10 enemies with Quendyl Zen and Elvis rejoins the group I was worried about having to fight 8 more enemies along with the overpowered heavily shielded boss. On the verge of deleting the game I gave it one more try and accidently discovered that Elvis can one shot Quen with a miasma blast that goes through the shield. A bit of a letdown given how easy it was to accidently discover this quick ending.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow