Gloomhaven

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

Gloomhaven

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/1483 ... tid=Zxz2cZ
Cephalofair Games' BackerKit crowdfunding project will also include Gloomhaven: Second Edition, a revised and updated version of Isaac Childres' 2017 blockbuster Gloomhaven.
Cephalofair Games plans to produce Gloomhaven: Second Edition in early 2024 for release later that year. Given the extent of the changes across numerous components, an upgrade kit for Gloomhaven will not be sold separately.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Re: Gloomhaven

Post by YellowKing »

I don't plan on re-buying Gloomhaven (or replaying it for that matter), but I kind of understand the update from the standpoint that it was essentially a one-man show when Isaac first put it out. Now he's got the benefit of a big team and the iterations of Jaws of the Lion and Frosthaven to go back and bring GH up to current standards.

There are folks complaining about rebuying it, but 2nd editions of games are a dime a dozen in the boardgame hobby. It happens, particularly with successful games.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm a little fuzzy though. There was already a second edition. So is this actually a third edition? Or just a reprint of the last (i.e. second) edition?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:52 pm I'm a little fuzzy though. There was already a second edition. So is this actually a third edition? Or just a reprint of the last (i.e. second) edition?
I think there was a second printing. A second edition would have (in theory) updated contents - like maybe new wire-bound manuals. Publishers are pretty loose with the printing/edition labeling and they sometimes use it to intentionally confuse consumers.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

"The world, story, and challenging gameplay are all still the same, but there is a plethora of additional content to explore. Even for those who have played Gloomhaven before, this edition brings new material to the table, with rebalanced and redesigned mercenary classes, items, and scenarios, as well as brand new artwork, newly written narrative and events, updated miniatures, a new faction-based reputation system, and more. "

Sounds like a pretty thorough update with lots of additions.

Not planning on getting it myself, or at least not until we finish Frosthaven for sure.
No sig, must scream, etc.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Okay. Definitely sounds like they played a little loose with definitions. I have updated manual and scenarios that came with the second "printing". So they definitely did more than just a reprint. But this does sound a lot more extensive.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, usually "printings" cover errata and editions add new elements. It's not a firm rule, but the good publishers seem to stick to that convention (in my experience).
Maybe next year, maybe no go