Mission: Impossible 7 & 8

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Apollo

Re: Mission: Impossible 7 & 8

Post by Apollo »

TheMix wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:01 pm ...Denzel, on the other hand... Just feels to me like he's been playing the same character lately. Which is not to say that he's a bad actor. I just feel like I've seen it before. To be honest, I'd rather watch Man on Fire again than either of the Equalizer movies.
To be fair, I never said that the Equalizer movies were among Denzel's best. But in a comparison between Denzel and Keanu I find it ironic that you think Denzel is the one who always plays the same character. :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Usually just do it to either respond to something I forgot to in the post I'm replying to, or I've misspelled "tasteless" again. :P
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:04 pm Usually just do it to either respond to something I forgot to in the post I'm replying to, or I've misspelled "tasteless" again. :P
Wait, how have you been misspelling tasteless? Tastless? Taysteless?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:56 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 pm I'm responding to reports of someone having a wrong opinion on the internet. I'll need all of you to report for questioning ASAP.
Hey, we're being polite and nice in our disagreement. That's better than 70 percent of the internet, wouldn't you say...90 percent if you include sports forums? :P
The offense is having a wrong opinion - politeness is no defense, sir.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:08 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:04 pm Usually just do it to either respond to something I forgot to in the post I'm replying to, or I've misspelled "tasteless" again. :P
Wait, how have you been misspelling tasteless? Tastless? Taysteless?

I keep mistakenly using a pictograph.
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:09 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 pm I'm responding to reports of someone having a wrong opinion on the internet. I'll need all of you to report for questioning ASAP.
Hey, we're being polite and nice in our disagreement. That's better than 70 percent of the internet, wouldn't you say...90 percent if you include sports forums? :P
I'm still looking forward to the day, if it ever comes, when I post an opinion on this forum and everyone gangs up on the other guy. :?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don't worry. When you're right, we'll be there for you. :horse:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:15 pm
I'm still looking forward to the day, if it ever comes, when I post an opinion on this forum and everyone gangs up on the other guy. :?
With only 1398 posts, your sample size is too small.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:15 pm Don't worry. When you're right, we'll be there for you. :horse:
When people start insisting that Keanu Reeves is Denzel Washington's equal as an actor, it's clear that being "right" has nothing to do with it. :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:20 pm
With only 1398 posts, your sample size is too small.
When you hit 10,000, Issie gives you a "freebie".
Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:15 pm Don't worry. When you're right, we'll be there for you. :horse:
When people start insisting that Keanu Reeves is Denzel Washington's equal as an actor, it's clear that being "right" has nothing to do with it. :wink:
I never wrote that. But I do believe Keanu can be a very good actor when he puts his mind to it. He has proven as much with (some of) his past works.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I guess you need better opinions.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Guapo's just leading up to a shameless plug for his opinion service. For 12 dollars a month, he'll tell you what your opinions are on various subjects. I was in it for a few months myself. But I had to quit when I misread one of his daily messages and started telling everyone there was no better feeling than "sucking down a few peers" after work.
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Denzel Washington: 8 Academy Award nominations, Two wins. 10 Golden Globe nominations, Three Wins.

Keanu Reeves: 0 Academy Award Nominations, 0 Golden Globe nominations, 7 Razzie Nominations.

How much more "right" can I be? :P
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I’m just excited that Hayley Atwell is going to be in the next Mission Impossible movie. :pop:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:33 pm Denzel Washington: 8 Academy Award nominations, Two wins. 10 Golden Globe nominations, Three Wins.

Keanu Reeves: 0 Academy Award Nominations, 0 Golden Globe nominations, 7 Razzie Nominations.

How much more "right" can I be? :P
Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:14 pm Right, because if everyone else thinks it, it must be true, right? So if I ask all my friends, neighbors, and co-workers and 90+% say that Donald Trump is the greatest President ever, I must be wrong and everyone else must be right, correct?
In any case, I never said Keanu was a better actor than Denzel (if you're replying to me with that post). But I do believe you're underestimating him as an actor in general.
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:35 pm I’m just excited that Hayley Atwell is going to be in the next Mission Impossible movie. :pop:
How dare you hijack this thread back to the original subject! :evil:

But, yeah, the Mission Impossible movies have been pretty good lately. I'm looking forward to 8 & 9.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm
Yeah. Never said that.

I thought we were discussing the Equalizer movies vs the John Wick movies. I wasn't aware we were talking about the merits of the entire body of work for the two actors.

(Though, I guess I should have picked up on that. You seem to be unwilling to judge Keanu's work on the JW movies without including everything that he's ever done. And, vice versa. Personally, I think that actors can both improve with age and experience, as well as stagnate - looking at you Jack Nicholson.)

At the end of the day, however, it does not matter to me if you watch the JW movies. I will continue to enjoy them.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:35 pm I’m just excited that Hayley Atwell is going to be in the next Mission Impossible movie. :pop:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yeah, I remember when Denzel was "must see." Now he is just, "must I see this?"
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

TheMix wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:39 pm
...(Though, I guess I should have picked up on that. You seem to be unwilling to judge Keanu's work on the JW movies without including everything that he's ever done. And, vice versa. Personally, I think that actors can both improve with age and experience, as well as stagnate - looking at you Jack Nicholson.)

At the end of the day, however, it does not matter to me if you watch the JW movies. I will continue to enjoy them.
I haven't seen any JW movies but the first one, but there was nothing at all about Keanu Reeves acting in John Wick that compared with Denzel Washington's acting in the Equalizer movies. And, BTW, Denzel has three Academy Award nominations since 2013, including the last two years, so I seriously doubt that he's lost anything, though I do agree with your point in general (Just look at Robert DeNiro).

Everytime I make a point, you guys move the goalposts. I'm starting to think that some of you are just trolling my posts for fun.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We haven't yet found the perfect artist to sing our parody of the Vengaboys, "We Like to Argue"
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I like discussing things without having to argue about them. I guess that's my weakness when it comes to the Internet. I feel strongly that if all of us were sitting in a room having this discussion, it would have been completely different and we would have moved on long ago. But hey, I'm WRONG and I guess it's super important to let me know. :mrgreen:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:32 pm Guapo's just leading up to a shameless plug for his opinion service. For 12 dollars a month, he'll tell you what your opinions are on various subjects. I was in it for a few months myself. But I had to quit when I misread one of his daily messages and started telling everyone there was no better feeling than "sucking down a few peers" after work.
It really is a stellar opinion service. Just ask any customer whose opinions I have supplied.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've met hepcat. I'm pretty sure that the conversation would be exactly the same in person. It would just be easier to see his tongue-in-cheek demeanor.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:03 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:32 pm Guapo's just leading up to a shameless plug for his opinion service. For 12 dollars a month, he'll tell you what your opinions are on various subjects. I was in it for a few months myself. But I had to quit when I misread one of his daily messages and started telling everyone there was no better feeling than "sucking down a few peers" after work.
It really is a stellar opinion service. Just ask any customer whose opinions I have supplied.
Can you give me a sample of the opinion I would have for the service were I to engage it?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Careful. Your chances of a restraining order go up significantly.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:55 pm
TheMix wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:39 pm
...(Though, I guess I should have picked up on that. You seem to be unwilling to judge Keanu's work on the JW movies without including everything that he's ever done. And, vice versa. Personally, I think that actors can both improve with age and experience, as well as stagnate - looking at you Jack Nicholson.)

I haven't seen any JW movies but the first one, but there was nothing at all about Keanu Reeves acting in John Wick that compared with Denzel Washington's acting in the Equalizer movies. And, BTW, Denzel has three Academy Award nominations since 2013, including the last two years, so I seriously doubt that he's lost anything, though I do agree with your point in general (Just look at Robert DeNiro).

Everytime I make a point, you guys move the goalposts. I'm starting to think that some of you are just trolling my posts for fun.
Not intentionally. But I do feel like somewhere along the line we moved away from discussing the merits of the movies to the merits of the actors. Which wasn't something that I ever intended. Hopefully that wasn't my doing.

I'm also not sure why you feel that everyone is telling you that you are wrong. I'm not. I feel that you haven't given the JW movie enough credit (most likely due to preconceived biases). But, in the end, if you didn't like the movie, then you didn't like the movie. I'll continue to watch either series when I'm flipping around channels and they are on. I'll probably enjoy JW a little more. I like the cast better. I like the action better. I like the story better. But I still watch The Equalizer. I especially love the confrontation scene in the restaurant. Marton Csokas is exceptional as the villain.

tl;dr
At least with respect to me, "I disagree" != "You're wrong"

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 pm Careful. Your chances of a restraining order go up significantly.
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

TheMix wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm
...I'm also not sure why you feel that everyone is telling you that you are wrong. I'm not. I feel that you haven't given the JW movie enough credit (most likely due to preconceived biases). But, in the end, if you didn't like the movie, then you didn't like the movie. I'll continue to watch either series when I'm flipping around channels and they are on. I'll probably enjoy JW a little more. I like the cast better. I like the action better. I like the story better. But I still watch The Equalizer. I especially love the confrontation scene in the restaurant. Marton Csokas is exceptional as the villain...
I didn't think the John Wick movie was the worst action movie I had ever seen or anything, and it's true that I don't watch a lot of pure action movies (at least relative to other movie types). But I went into the movie with expectations that it would be really good due to the reviews and word of mouth. So when I finally saw it this Winter I was disappointed. Maybe if I hadn't heard so much about the movie beforehand I would have liked it better. But there have been a lot of "good" movies I've seen where I came away disappointed (There's Something about Mary, Ghost, The Last Seduction, Unbreakable, Fight Club, Phantom Thread, etc etc etc). On the other hand, there have been tons of movies I've really enjoyed that no one else I know likes (2001: A Space Odyssey, Drive, Iron Man 2, The Lair of the White Worm, Salome's Last Dance, Prometheus, Beasts of the Southern Wild, etc etc etc). There's just no accounting for taste.

Anyway, I'm starting to think that we should start a "Movie Randomness" thread to discuss movies we've just seen (old or new), discuss favorite actors and movies, etc, without hijacking existing movie threads. What do you guys think?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:41 pm Anyway, I'm starting to think that we should start a "Movie Randomness" thread to discuss movies we've just seen (old or new), discuss favorite actors and movies, etc, without hijacking existing movie threads. What do you guys think?
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:44 pm
Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:41 pm Anyway, I'm starting to think that we should start a "Movie Randomness" thread to discuss movies we've just seen (old or new), discuss favorite actors and movies, etc, without hijacking existing movie threads. What do you guys think?
Done! I hope you guys will participate. Feel free to discuss anything that has to do with movies.

And now we return you to your regularly scheduled thread... :mrgreen:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Page Six:
Tom Cruise has reportedly found love in a pandemic with Hayley Atwell.

A production source told the Sun that Cruise, 58, and Atwell, 38, started dating after meeting on the set of “Mission: Impossible 7,” saying the pair “hit it off from day one.”
:doh:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He yelled at her for not following Covid19 protocol and she thought it was manly.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Part one!?

Now he’s just threatening us?!
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Saw this last night. We loved it. Definitely a theater movie. I could nitpick but nothing bad stood out. Need to see the second one before I can really rank it from the other mission movies.

Will likely see it again. Recommended.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s been getting great reviews. I may have to watch this. Although I’m not sure in a theater. For some reason I’m still not entirely back to the days where going to a movie was a treat to myself. Now I just get annoyed by the decline in quality of all the theaters around me since the pandemic.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I really enjoyed this. It's long, a trait I used to love, but the last few blockbusters I've seen in theatres overstayed their welcome. This did not. In fact I couldn't believe it went by so fast and wouldn't have minded more.

The plot is timely. Maybe a little too timely in the sense that it made me anxious and depressed. But it was fairly enjoyable even if not particularly original. It's executed well. Several things were definitely implausible, but there were only a few times the movie's spell over me was broken.

I wish I'd watched a "things you need to know" series recap on Youtube before I went to the theatre. You don't need to know/remember the other films in the series, but it will be more enjoyable if you do. I remember enjoying most of the preceding films (especially Fallout), but I remember little about them. A couple of the chase scenes' settings felt very familiar, but the sequences themselves were fun, had refreshing twists, and were just the right length. There's some good self-aware humour.

The dialogue scenes are full of series-classic Dutch angles and quick cuts that feel really good, similar to the comforting feeling of a Star Wars wipe.

7 out of 8 tentacles.

Spoiler:
- Shea Whigham and his partner were great characters, but I felt their presence was a bit much as they were often third or fourth wheel to an action sequence. They'd disappear for a while and I'd forget they were there. It seemed like they just stood around doing nothing while off camera. The final action sequence needed a cutaway to them evacuating the passengers from the train.

- Pom Klementieff is really great in this, but she also felt a bit extraneous. I would have enjoyed her character having more development beyond switching sides at the end. It seemed implausible that her character would turn just because Hunt spared her life considering she was portrayed as an unhinged henchman.

- As mentioned, the AI plot was interesting enough. But it's been done better elsewhere, such as in Westworld season three. I was confused as to where the AI originated and why it was on the Russian sub etc. The scene of the crew's bodies rising from the wreck and hitting the bottom of the ice was fantastic. It seems we're being teased that Hunt will be diving to the wreckage in Part 2? Seems a bit boring, especially in contrast to the underwater scene in one of the previous films.

- The cruciform key is a great MacGuffin even if its design is kind of silly.

- Great to see Henry Czerny again! They made it feel like he's been a part of every entry of the series. I was also questioning whether Esai Morales had appeared previously. Are we supposed to know the woman he killed in the flashback? It seems like they could have flashed back to a character Hunt let down that actually appeared in one of the other films. What happened to Michelle Monaghan's character? Apparently Nicholas Hoult was originally cast as Esai Morales's villain. I really like Hoult but he would have felt very different.

- Kind of dislike that the motorcycle jump was so badly spoiled. It wouldn't have been so bad if it occurred earlier in the film.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Sudy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:05 am
Spoiler:
the AI plot was interesting enough. But it's been done better elsewhere, such as in Westworld season three.
Spoiler:
I was getting Person of Interest vibes.

As for Pom Klementieff's character, I feel like there was some self-fulfilling prophecy circular logic happening. She was loyal to her employer, she starts having doubts because Hunt spared her life - she may or may not have acted on those doubts on her own. But Gabriel tells her she would betray him and then tries to kill her, which serves to push her over the edge (not to mention that she's dying, it's not like she has anything left to lose).