[Film] Killers of the Flower Moon - Scorsese

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] Killers of the Flower Moon - Scorsese

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Re: [Film] Killers of the Flower Moon - Scorsese

Post by hepcat »

Looking forward to seeing this….even if it isn’t a sequel to Killer Klowns from Outer Space, which is how I read the thread title initially.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I haven't watched the film yet, but this is a really good essay, prompted by the movie, about how modern culture has a really hard time digesting ambiguity and contradiction in art.

there seems to be a collective inability in our culture to sit in silence without saying something reflexively, particularly when that silence is pregnant with the kind of contradiction art is meant to produce. I know social media doesn’t exactly promote reticence or nuance of any kind, but this appears to be something more widespread. The compulsion to assess films, television series, music, books, anything, really, based on whether they are moral has leaked out of conservative enclaves into the mainstream. And just as equating the art with the artist has always struck me as a strange reduction, so too is equating the politics with the art—bad politics, bad art, good politics, good art.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I think this is based on actual events and people which should make it more interesting and sad.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I really want to see it but not sure about the 3 hour + running time - anyone know how quickly it will be on AppleTV+? I read somewhere that will be its streaming home.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Exodor wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:34 pm I really want to see it but not sure about the 3 hour + running time - anyone know how quickly it will be on AppleTV+? I read somewhere that will be its streaming home.
It's getting an intermission in Britain.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:01 pm
Exodor wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:34 pm I really want to see it but not sure about the 3 hour + running time - anyone know how quickly it will be on AppleTV+? I read somewhere that will be its streaming home.
It's getting an intermission in Britain.
I saw where theaters were getting in trouble for adding intermissions in various places.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thelma Schoonmaker Condemns Theaters Showing ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ with an Intermission
The film, which has drummed up controversy in the Indigenous community, is almost three-and-a-half hours long. “I understand that somebody’s running it with an intermission which is not right,” Schoonmaker told The Standard UK. “That’s a violation, so I have to find out about it.”

Schoonmaker has edited every Scorsese film since “Raging Bull” in 1980.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

An intermission *might* tempt me into a theater, but for a 3+ hour movie I'm much more inclined to wait until I can make my own intermission at home. Which is to say, split it into two evenings.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I can't give a proper review as I fought sleep for a lot of the film. I don't blame the movie; that's just me these days. However, the runtime was trying for me in general, even as a lover of long films. This story deserves every moment of it; it's beautifully told and presented. But there are many scenes and conversations that, while providing welcome nuance and depth, just don't feel like they need to be as long as they are. But, it's Scorsese, he gets to do what he wants at this point and the studios trust him, as do I.

Spoilers for tone, not for plot:
Spoiler:
I had the usual problem in a film of this scope of figuring out which character was which, which can make the finer points of the narrative hard to penetrate. I think I would appreciate it much more on a second watch, but it's not really something I want to revisit because the subject matter is so difficult. In that regard it reminds me of his film Silence (2016), an intensely meaningful, epic, visually gorgeous film. But it's just so emotionally devastating that I don't know if I could ever watch it again. These differ from the "other" type of films Scorsese is known for--even though you know it's going to end badly, you have a ton of fun watching bad people do bad things along the way. There's no fun here. There are wonderful performances, to be sure. There are breathtaking environments. And there's a deeply important history that needs to be shared. But it's all heartbreaking.
Go see it, definitely. Just don't expect it to be a western Goodfellas. The trailer kind of makes it look that way, and while there's oodles of brutality and violence, it's not the "fun" kind.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Why no love for an intermission? Must be something culturally that I've missed? :think:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

em2nought wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:18 am Why no love for an intermission? Must be something culturally that I've missed? :think:
Art>bladder
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
em2nought wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:18 am Why no love for an intermission? Must be something culturally that I've missed? :think:
Art>bladder
I have a test, make Scorsese drink a medium soda and have to sit in a theater for the whole movie...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

When the Marvel movies started I would inevitably have to leave to piss, but by last movies I knew to fast and not drink anything for a couple hours before the movie. That worked.

Even Ghandi had an intermission.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, no kidding. Even movies like Gone with the Wind had intermissions back in the day. With movies that feel like they're only getting longer, instead of condemning theatres for having an intermission, I feel like maybe studios should give theatres an option. It's only right. Not only does it make customers feel more comfortable and more likely to go see a long movie, theatres get a second chance to sell more concession items to the same crowds. And if producers are unwilling to make compromises, then maybe it's time to re-evaluate the length of their movies? If it takes theatres adding intermissions on their own initiative get the producers up in arms, then so be it. Ironically, Scorcese likes to talk respect for the movie. Well, how about respect for the common viewer.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:06 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote:
Art>bladder
I have a test, make Scorsese drink a medium soda and have to sit in a theater for the whole movie...
Scorcese is 80. He's probably well-diapered by now.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Seem like Scorsese want you to watch it at home instead of in a theater. :)