Ahsoka (Disney +)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JCC

Ahsoka (Disney +)

Post by JCC »

Total nerdgasm!!!!

Last edited by JCC on Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Baroquen

Re: Ahsoka (D+)

Post by Baroquen »

Looking forward to this one. Wasn't a huge Rebels fan when it came out, but the characters have grown on me. And I have more faith in the Favreau/Filoni series than some of the others.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I keep reading the "D+" in the subject line as a grade.

Anyway, I did enjoy the trailer, and I'll enjoy the show as long as it's halfway decent and not a Book of Boba Fett-esque trainwreck. I do love the characters. I enjoyed / chuckled at the ham-fisted "heir to the empire" line (remember that book series Star Wars fans!). There's a decent amount of inconsistency in the Star Wars shows so hard to say whether it'll be good or not.

I do find it a bit of a bummer that these shows need to work around the well of stupidity that is the sequel trilogy, though. Like I'd love for them to do a true heir to the empire storyline, but they have to fit it in in a way that doesn't do too much direct damage to all the stupid plot choices made in the sequel trilogy.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:49 am I keep reading the "D+" in the subject line as a grade.
My thoughts on Rosario Dawson.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:04 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:49 am I keep reading the "D+" in the subject line as a grade.
:lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chopper steals the show 3:55 mark.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:04 pm
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Her lekku look like marshmallows I want to eat them.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've been binging the "Ahsoka Tano Essential Episodes" collection on D+. Pretty fun, especially since I haven't watched much Cone Wars or Rebels before. It's really amazing how much the animation improves over time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Watched the first episode. It’s almost everything I dislike about Star Wars. With a few exceptions, the actors and actresses feel like they came off a cookie cutter assembly line.

I’m also with Issie when it comes to not being a fan of Rosario Dawson.

But I’m hoping it gets better and proves me wrong.

When the heck is Andor coming back?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:51 pm I’m also with Issie when it comes to not being a fan of Rosario Dawson.
:dance:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

She was so goddamn annoying on the Netflix Marvel shows.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

She was the Dale of the group.

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

She favorited one of my Tweets so we're basically best friends. I don't appreciate everyone saying mean things about her.

I totally forgot about this show; haven't watched Disney plus in over month (Secret Invasion). Thanks for the reminder!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh crap, which one of us is her alt here? Is it Sudy? It’s Sudy, isn’t it. I knew he wasn’t really Canadian. I’ve never once heard him mention back bacon.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nice try....Rosie.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That just looks like ham with extra steps.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:26 am That just looks like ham with extra steps.
And that's why you're not Canadian.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh man I had some of that when I was up in Waterloo last weekend - so good!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:26 am That just looks like ham with extra steps.
And again, I'm with you on this. To me, bacon has to be thin and crispy. :snooty:
He won. Period.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:51 pm I’m also with Issie when it comes to not being a fan of Rosario Dawson.
Haven't watched it yet so I cannot disagree with most of your post but I can say I am a fan of Rosario Dawson.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
JCC

Post by JCC »

I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I am not sure how this translates to people who haven't watched Rebels. The first 2 eps largely felt like Rebels season 5 to me. As someone who loves Rebels, that was totally fine with me. I do find Tennant's droid a lot more fun here than in Clone Wars. Looking forward to the next episode.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I really enjoyed it too, going to rewatch. I just realized that D+ was not the score you gave the show LMAO.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:33 pm
Haven't watched it yet so I cannot disagree with most of your post but I can say I am a fan of Rosario Dawson.
And we've found Smoove's bestie's alt. Hi Rosie!

Sorry Sudy.
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

rittchard wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:02 pm I really enjoyed it too, going to rewatch. I just realized that D+ was not the score you gave the show LMAO.
Fair point. I clarified the title! :D
Black Lives Matter

McNutt

Re: Ahsoka (Disney +)

Post by McNutt »

I watched the first two episodes.

Ray Stevenson (RIP) is great. I like him and the character.

Dislikes:
I feel like I'm a little lost without having seen any of the cartoons.
Rasario Dawson is doing her best Sam Worthington performance. Zero charisma.
The green girl's sassy droid kept me from forgetting this is more of a kid's show
I HATE seeing people carefully pull out a lightsaber from their victim like it was a sword. Such a stupid way to keep a character alive.

I'll continue with the show, but my expectations are lot that high.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

McNutt wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:03 pm I watched the first two episodes.

Dislikes:

I HATE seeing people carefully pull out a lightsaber from their victim like it was a sword. Such a stupid way to keep a character alive.
We watched Episode 1 Wednesday night and I was curious to see how they were going to explain a character surviving a ~2" diameter hole through their torso.

They...didn't, really? Other than some mild discomfort they seemed fine. :roll:

I haven't watched any of the animated stuff so I don't really have the context for this show but GreenLady is played by Ramona from Scott Pilgrim so she's been the best part of the show.
Spoiler:
IMDB tells me she's only in two episodes so it's all downhill from here
JCC

Post by JCC »

Exodor wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:53 am We watched Episode 1 Wednesday night and I was curious to see how they were going to explain a character surviving a ~2" diameter hole through their torso.

They...didn't, really? Other than some mild discomfort they seemed fine. :roll:

I haven't watched any of the animated stuff so I don't really have the context for this show but GreenLady is played by Ramona from Scott Pilgrim so she's been the best part of the show.
Spoiler:
IMDB tells me she's only in two episodes so it's all downhill from here
Re: Spoiler (that may not be a spoiler).

I wouldn't take IMDB episode counts as gospel until the whole season has aired.
Black Lives Matter

naednek

Post by naednek »

JCC wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:59 pm I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I am not sure how this translates to people who haven't watched Rebels. The first 2 eps largely felt like Rebels season 5 to me. As someone who loves Rebels, that was totally fine with me. I do find Tennant's droid a lot more fun here than in Clone Wars. Looking forward to the next episode.
usually if people here don't like the disney star wars stuff, it means i tend to like it... So with that said, I'm looking forward to it. :D
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

JCC wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:59 pm I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I am not sure how this translates to people who haven't watched Rebels. The first 2 eps largely felt like Rebels season 5 to me. As someone who loves Rebels, that was totally fine with me. I do find Tennant's droid a lot more fun here than in Clone Wars. Looking forward to the next episode.
I really enjoyed the first two episodes as well. I wonder how much of that is expectations, because after being mostly disappointed with the most recent Mandalorian season plus Obi-Wan, and seeing mostly negative sentiment online, my expectations were low. But the pacing and dialogue were good, the story was pretty engaging, and the acting was decent to good. Also nothing overtly stupid happened - maybe you could argue the surviving the saber stab thing, but at least there you could say that Ahsoka arrived immediately after and it was to her side, so maybe futuristic science + Force techniques is enough. Enough for me to shrug and move past it, anyway.

I do also wonder about the correlation with watching Rebels though, because it was also great to see so many Rebels characters in action. Especially Chopper!
Black Lives Matter.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Third episode is out and absolutely nothing happens.

Ahsoka is still a dull character in this show and the feeling that I needed to have watched a lot of the other shows to follow along is growing.

How many times will Star Wars use the map-to-find-a-powerful-old-character device? They've used it for Luke, Palpatine and Thrawn. It's a shitty device to use even once and now they've used it three times. How in the hell did they think that would feel fresh?

I'm not giving up all hope on this show yet, but they are making it difficult. It needs a lot more Ray Stevenson. Actually a show told from his perspective would be 100x better.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

They were losing me VERY quickly with Kenobi and then the (IMO) terrible Book of Boba Fett (and even the last season of The Mandalorian), but just ONE Andor wiped all that money grab pablum out of my head, because it was so. damn. good.

I will gladly take a few "Book of Boba Fett"'s along the way if that is the sacrifice required to produce an Andor every now and then.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Reason #238 for why Andor is better: at no point does it include Jedis sword fighting ships in space from the wing of their spacecraft.

You know you’re a shitty villain when it doesn’t occur to you to just shoot the goddamn ship she’s somersaulting across. :doh:
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

88% on RT. I must try it at least.

Unless someone wants to convince me that I need to see one or more of the animated series first, for context.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:04 pm Third episode is out and absolutely nothing happens.

Ahsoka is still a dull character in this show and the feeling that I needed to have watched a lot of the other shows to follow along is growing.

How many times will Star Wars use the map-to-find-a-powerful-old-character device? They've used it for Luke, Palpatine and Thrawn. It's a shitty device to use even once and now they've used it three times. How in the hell did they think that would feel fresh?

I'm not giving up all hope on this show yet, but they are making it difficult. It needs a lot more Ray Stevenson. Actually a show told from his perspective would be 100x better.
The map thing getting used again is kind of funny, but the way they do it here actually makes sense:
Spoiler:
It's not a "map to Thrawn". Rather, it's a map that shows an old inter-galactic link used by ancient aliens that has since been lost to the sands of time. They know (or suspect) that Thrawn (and Ezra) are in that other galaxy because the hyperlink tracks the path of the whales that were seen with Thrawn and Ezra when they disappeared. So it's not that the villains were looking for a "map to Thrawn", it's that they were trying to figure out a way to travel between galaxies, which the map provided.

Whereas the problem that the "map to Skywalker" never made sense is that they never bothered to establish what the map was for, or where it was leading to, or for what reason the characters expected to find Luke there. Like it *almost* makes sense insofar as the island that Luke was on had some ancient Jedi records of some type on them (and space cows), so one could understand the map as a map to those Jedi records or something...but they didn't establish that anyone knew any of that, or why Luke would be there.

And the knife that you need to hold from a certain point looking at specific wrecks that would probably be moving in order to find a way to the thing that leads to the Emperor...I mean...
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW I continue to really like this show. I think the characters are solid. Ahsoka herself is a little low key at times, but at the same time she's basically playing the role of the wise (quasi) Jedi Master at this point. FWIW I've seen all of Rebels, though not much of the Clone Wars, so I know the non-Ahsoka characters pretty well and their backstory (and Ahsoka herself had a role in the later seasons of Rebels), so possible that matters and may be filling in some of the gaps with me.

One thing is that Hera looks kind of silly to me. I was trying to figure out watching this episode why she looked silly to me but Ahsoka didn't. Maybe it's because Ahsoka's hair tentacle set up looks kind of like a ceremonial headdress of sorts while Hera's (due to how they were drawn in the animated series) looks like weird green lumps on her head?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:13 pm 88% on RT. I must try it at least.
That surprises me. I’ll give it more time. Perhaps it will click with me.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Thinking about waiting for all episodes to drop begore watching.
I did watch Rebels last. I don't remember details just basic story and Ezras trip.
My wife didn't and probably won't.
Question.
Am I going to have to keep trying to explain things which I may or may not be able to do or does the show explain things enough for non Rebels viewers?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us