Abortion news and discussion

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Abortion news and discussion

Post by hepcat »

And those are covered as well. Exceptions have always been a part of that process, as I mentioned earlier. What we don't want to do is just create a law saying abortions are legal up until the point of delivery....period. No one wants doctors delivering kids and then immediately killing them without reason. But that's the image conservatives want to get into people's heads.
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:47 pm Supreme Court stays the original order pending appeals. So not the worst case but still horrible. Thomas and Alito wrote dissents which I'm sure are just them raging about how they can't just flex their tyranny.
I must be missing something here regarding the bolded part above. How is this still horrible? This isn't a horrible case. It's the best case. The Supreme Court stayed Texas Clown Judge's ridiculous judicial overreach and the 5th Circuit's only slightly less stupid judicial overreach. What better result could have come out of this Supreme Court order?

I mean, you've got Alito and Thomas with their usual dipshit stuff making a mockery of the court with their dissents. At least Thomas had the decency to not say anything in his. Alito's dissent about the liberals' complaints about the shadow docket just seemed like the kind of whining my kids used to deliver to me about unfair treatment when they were in early elementary school.

But, setting those two aside, this seems like an instance where the Supreme Court actually functioned as intended.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:24 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:04 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:52 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:25 pm Republicans want to conflate the rare case of late term abortions that happen only when the mother's life is in danger (which we already had) into the standard setting. Why in god's name would we want to put a blank check out there stating that you can get an abortion up until the day of delivery for any reason? That's the kind of thing conservatives with an agenda have wet dreams about.
We'd do it because it supports the best and most humane healthcare outcomes? As I said, it's not the best stance for passing a bill. But a rational conversation on the topic would definitely include that possibility.
I think the part you keep missing is that they already had caveats for those very rare cases where the mother's life was in danger.
There are instances where the mother's life is not in danger but a termination is still a preferred option.
Indeed
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:39 pm Alito's dissent about the liberals' complaints about the shadow docket just seemed like the kind of whining my kids used to deliver to me about unfair treatment when they were in early elementary school.
While in early elementary school, your kids compared your treatment of them to the SC shadow docket system? Those sound like some sharp kids.
Spoiler:
:wink: :D
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:39 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:47 pm Supreme Court stays the original order pending appeals. So not the worst case but still horrible. Thomas and Alito wrote dissents which I'm sure are just them raging about how they can't just flex their tyranny.
I must be missing something here regarding the bolded part above. How is this still horrible? This isn't a horrible case. It's the best case. The Supreme Court stayed Texas Clown Judge's ridiculous judicial overreach and the 5th Circuit's only slightly less stupid judicial overreach. What better result could have come out of this Supreme Court order?
That was me pretty much thinking that this being the "best case" is is still horrible. I live and am around a lot of women all the time. They are not alright. They see right through this shit to what it is and it's *not right* that the courts signal they are too amoral or not wise enough to manage their own health care decisions. It's plainly disgusting. So I have little relief when they slow roll the tyranny or put it off to another day.
I mean, you've got Alito and Thomas with their usual dipshit stuff making a mockery of the court with their dissents. At least Thomas had the decency to not say anything in his. Alito's dissent about the liberals' complaints about the shadow docket just seemed like the kind of whining my kids used to deliver to me about unfair treatment when they were in early elementary school.

But, setting those two aside, this seems like an instance where the Supreme Court actually functioned as intended.
Even then Alito can't contain himself from being a hypocritical POS:
Alito's ass talk wrote:The FDA has previously invoked enforcement discretion to permit the distribution of mifepristone in a way that the regulations then in force prohibited, and here, the Government has not dispelled legitimate doubts that it would even obey an unfavorable order in these cases, much less that it would choose to take enforcement actions to which it has strong objections.
I mean really. The most fervent tyrant is whining about motives? Chutzpah.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Abortion ban rejected in South Carolina after GOP women join filibuster
The South Carolina state Senate rejected a near-total abortion ban on Thursday, after the chamber’s five female lawmakers led a multiday filibuster against the bill.

Three Republicans, a Democrat and an Independent joined together as the only five women in the state Senate to block the legislation, which sought to ban abortion from conception with exceptions for rape, incest, fatal fetal anomalies and to save the life of the mother.

The bill ultimately failed in a 22-21 vote on Thursday. This is the third time that a near-total abortion ban has failed to pass the Republican-majority chamber since the overturning of Roe v. Wade last June.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, great place I live. I'm so afraid that those 3 Republican woman are going to lose primaries to men during the next election.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

No doubt. They don't know what is best for them! /s
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:54 am Yeah, great place I live. I'm so afraid that those 3 Republican woman are going to lose primaries to men during the next election.
I had almost a completely opposite reaction to this: that this failed HERE, again, is a miracle in my opinion, considering the makeup of the state legislature.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

NC just passed a 12-week ban on abortions. I knew this corrupt POS assembly would waste no time after that traitorous bitch switched sides and gave them a veto-proof majority. North Carolina is well on the path to Gilead. Blessed be the fruit. Fuck these people.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:21 pm NC just passed a 12-week ban on abortions. I knew this corrupt POS assembly would waste no time after that traitorous bitch switched sides and gave them a veto-proof majority. North Carolina is well on the path to Gilead. Blessed be the fruit. Fuck these people.
It made it through the NC Senate today. Your governor said he's going to veto it, but as you've noted with the majority they can override it.
Senate Bill 20, dubbed the “Care for Women, Children and Families Act,” would ban any licensed physician from performing surgical abortions after the 12th week of pregnancy. It would provide exceptions in the case of rape and incest through 20 weeks of pregnancy or in the event of a “life-limiting anomaly” through 24 weeks. Under the bill, the procedure could be performed by a physician if a doctor determines an abortion is necessary to avert death – “not including psychological or emotional conditions.”

Under current state law, abortions are legal up to 20 weeks of pregnancy. A reduction to 12 weeks would be significant but less restrictive than some other GOP-led states that have recently enacted six-week or near-total bans on the procedure.

Additionally, the bill would prohibit any health care provider who objects to abortion “on moral, ethical, or religious grounds” from being required to participate in medical procedures that would result in an abortion.

“The refusal of a physician, nurse, or health care provider to perform or participate in these medical procedures shall not be a basis for damages for the refusal or for any disciplinary or any other recriminatory action against the physician, nurse, or health care provider,” it states.

It also calls for in-person examination by physicians seeking to prescribe or administer abortion-inducing drugs and would prohibit people within the state from mailing such drugs to a pregnant woman. The bill would mandate that doctors confirm that the “probable gestational age” of a fetus is no more than ten weeks, before they can sign off on a medication abortion.
Didn't realize this:
North Carolina had been a haven for women seeking abortion care as Southern states tightened restrictions after the Supreme Court sent the issue of abortion rights back to the states.
But this? This is gross:
The anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America has praised the legislation, saying it will “lessen abortion tourism in the state.”
"Abortion" and "Tourism" are not words that go together and to suggest anyone traveling to a state to undergo such a procedure is on vacation sure is something.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

These are some of the hard-line right-wing jurists in country. DOJ might as well send an intern to the hearing because the case is already decided.

waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

malchior wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:55 pm These are some of the hard-line right-wing jurists in country. DOJ might as well send an intern to the hearing because the case is already decided.

It’s not called judge shopping without reason.

The main issue for advocates is that despite Republican presidents getting more judges onto the federal courts than democrat presidents thanks to the usual methods those judges ended up being rather ethical and “following the law” when making judgements. This is after they’d said all the right things during their confirmations!

A new plan was needed. Take in the law interns from colleges and mould them to be the type of true believer you needed: with “conferences” with rich conservative billionaires to help provide “perspective” on doing the right thing when actually on the bench and to weed out the ethical.

And it’s not like they’ve been doing this in secrets they’ve been running the conspiracy in the open.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alabama

So Alabama's really going to vote on whether a pregnant person should go to jail for murder if they don't produce a live birth.
https://legislature.state.al.us/pdf/Sea ... 54-int.pdf

But hey! The pregnant person can't be prosecuted over miscarriage due to physical or sexual assault from a partner. Generous.

Also of note - this bill allows the AG to prosecute if a DA refuses to. So...Captain "we can get them on chemical endangerment at least" is the deciding authority on who will be prosecuted.

Finally - this guarantees no medical provider will ever perform any service that might save a pregnant person's life out of fear of jail. Because ALL REASONABLE ALTERNATIVES is going to scare them away,
Article from February 2023:
State Rep. Ernie Yarbrough, R-Trinity, announced Tuesday that he will be filing a bill to consider abortion as murder under Alabama law.

“Abortion is murder, and justice demands that our laws treat it as such,” Yarbrough said in a statement. “If you look at Alabama law, you will see there is an exemption that says that abortion is not murder in our state. It’s time we change that. This bill is simply an attempt to align our law with our rhetoric. Alabamians agree: life begins at conception, and abortion is murder. The Abolish Abortion in Alabama Act reflects that sentiment.”
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Surprising no one, the NC GOP (which includes traitorous bitch) has overrideen Cooper's veto of the 12-week abortion ban.

I hate this goddamn state. It's a few pockets of civilization among a giant sea of racist redneck Bible-thumping dipshits.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:16 pm Alabama

So Alabama's really going to vote on whether a pregnant person should go to jail for murder if they don't produce a live birth.
https://legislature.state.al.us/pdf/Sea ... 54-int.pdf

But hey! The pregnant person can't be prosecuted over miscarriage due to physical or sexual assault from a partner. Generous.

Also of note - this bill allows the AG to prosecute if a DA refuses to. So...Captain "we can get them on chemical endangerment at least" is the deciding authority on who will be prosecuted.

Finally - this guarantees no medical provider will ever perform any service that might save a pregnant person's life out of fear of jail. Because ALL REASONABLE ALTERNATIVES is going to scare them away,
Article from February 2023:
State Rep. Ernie Yarbrough, R-Trinity, announced Tuesday that he will be filing a bill to consider abortion as murder under Alabama law.

“Abortion is murder, and justice demands that our laws treat it as such,” Yarbrough said in a statement. “If you look at Alabama law, you will see there is an exemption that says that abortion is not murder in our state. It’s time we change that. This bill is simply an attempt to align our law with our rhetoric. Alabamians agree: life begins at conception, and abortion is murder. The Abolish Abortion in Alabama Act reflects that sentiment.”
So many “moderate pro life” activists kept claiming that women wouldn’t be prosecuted for having an abortion when Roe was overturned. Well guess who didn’t get the memo. And did you think that old male politicians would pass up the chance to show who respects the sanctity of life more by oppressing women?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:49 am Surprising no one, the NC GOP (which includes traitorous bitch) has overrideen Cooper's veto of the 12-week abortion ban.

I hate this goddamn state. It's a few pockets of civilization among a giant sea of racist redneck Bible-thumping dipshits.
We're thinking of visiting Asheville later this summer to scout it as a place to spend our winters in retirement. I've never been to NC, and I could never live in a red state (I know Asheville has been gerrymandered into political impotence), but I also hear that it's a really nice place.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:52 am
YellowKing wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:49 am Surprising no one, the NC GOP (which includes traitorous bitch) has overrideen Cooper's veto of the 12-week abortion ban.

We're thinking of visiting Asheville later this summer to scout it as a place to spend our winters in retirement. I've never been to NC, and I could never live in a red state (I know Asheville has been gerrymandered into political impotence), but I also hear that it's a really nice place.
I grew up in western MA and it is very similar to me but with BBQ. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah perhaps I should clarify - I don't hate the state, but I often hate the people who run it. And a great portion of the people who live in it. :lol:
stessier

Post by stessier »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:51 pm Yeah perhaps I should clarify - I don't hate the state, but I often hate the people who run it. And a great portion of the people who live in it. :lol:
Same but for SC. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:51 pm Yeah perhaps I should clarify - I don't hate the state, but I often hate the people who run it. And a great portion of the people who live in it. :lol:
I have bad news for you:
North Carolina’s new abortion restrictions — banning the procedure after 12 weeks, down from 20 weeks — was a compromise of the wide-ranging views on the issue in the state Republican Party.

But it may be a short-lived settlement, depending on how successful Republicans are in the 2024 elections.

House Speaker Tim Moore has said he personally supports a six-week ban. But he told reporters Tuesday night — just after the House voted to override Cooper’s veto and passed the abortion bill into law — that the legislature won’t pursue any more changes to abortion laws until 2025 at the earliest.

“This represents the legislation that I believe this General Assembly can pass,” Moore said. “I can’t say what’ll happen two years, four years, 10 years from now.”

If the GOP wins more seats in the state legislature next year, or if a Republican governor is elected, then social conservatives would have more wiggle room to pass stricter abortion rules that don’t enjoy unanimous support within the GOP.

Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson, a Republican who is running for governor, said earlier this year that if he is elected governor in 2024 he would sign a law fully banning all abortions — with no exceptions for anything, including rape, incest or to save the mother’s life.
But don't worry - I've been repeatedly assured this is all an overreaction and nothing will happen (despite them telling us exactly what they're planning on doing).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yikes in South Carolina:

Tom Davis, the male state senator from South Carolina that just provided republicans enough votes to end debate & pass a 6-week abortion ban, said: “At some point in time, the right of the state to see the unborn child born does take precedent over the woman’s right to her body.”
CNN news link:
A controversial six-week abortion ban bill is headed to South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster’s desk to be signed into law after the measure cleared the state Senate Tuesday.

The state Senate approved a House-amended version of the bill by a vote of 27-19, after that chamber passed it last week.

Senate Bill 474, known as the “Fetal Heartbeat and Protection from Abortion Act,” would ban most abortions after early cardiac activity can be detected in a fetus or embryo, commonly as early as six weeks into pregnancy, before many women know they are pregnant. Any physician who knowingly violates the law would have their license to practice in the state revoked by the State Board of Medical Examiners and could face felony charges, fines and jail time.

McMaster said on Twitter after the vote that he looks “forward to signing this bill into law as soon as possible.”
For those confused, this is a defacto ban on all abortions for the reason indicated above - the slim chance a woman knows she's pregnant prior to the 6 week mark. Of note:
The bill includes exceptions to save the patient’s life and for fatal fetal anomalies, as well as limited exceptions up to 12 weeks for victims of rape and incest, with doctor reporting requirements to local law enforcement. It also contains an amendment added by the House that would require a “biological father” to pay child support from the point of conception.
Also, apparently women would arguably be considered property in South Carolina. Again, yikes.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, I hate this place.

That being said, I'm not sure what changed from January when the state Supreme Court struck down seemingly the same law.
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The South Carolina Supreme Court on Thursday struck down a ban on abortion after six weeks, ruling the restriction enacted by the Deep South state violates a state constitutional right to privacy.

The decision marked a significant victory for abortion rights’ advocates suddenly forced to find safeguards at the state level after the U.S. Supreme Court overtured Roe v. Wade in June. With federal abortion protection gone, Planned Parenthood South Atlantic sued in July under the South Carolina constitution’s right to privacy. Restrictions in other states are also facing challenges, some as a matter of religious freedom.

But since the high court’s momentous decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, no state court until Thursday in South Carolina had ruled definitively whether a constitutional right to privacy — a right not explicitly enumerated in the U.S. Constitution — extends to abortion.

“Planned Parenthood will keep working day by day and state by state to safeguard that right for all people,” Alexis McGill Johnson, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, said in a statement after Thursday’s ruling.

The 3-2 decision comes nearly two years after Republican Gov. Henry McMaster signed the restriction into law. The ban after cardiac activity, which included exceptions for pregnancies by rape or incest or pregnancies that endanger the patient’s life, drew lawsuits almost immediately.

Justice Kaye Hearn, writing for the majority, said the state “unquestionably” has the authority to limit the right of privacy that protects from state interference with the decision to get an abortion. But she added any limitation must afford sufficient time to determine one is pregnant and take “reasonable steps” if she chooses to terminate that pregnancy.

“Six weeks is, quite simply, not a reasonable period of time for these two things to occur,” Hearn added.

Currently, South Carolina bars most abortions at about 20 weeks beyond fertilization, or the gestational age of 22 weeks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:59 am That being said, I'm not sure what changed from January when the state Supreme Court struck down seemingly the same law.
You probably don't want to know:
A South Carolina supreme court ruling in January struck down a previous six-week abortion ban, but since then the makeup of the court has changed, with its sole female justice retiring after writing the lead opinion in the case. She was replaced by a man in what is now the country's only all-male state supreme court.

South Carolina is one of only two states where legislators are the sole body that selects justices, and ProPublica reported that the Freedom Caucus rallied around the male candidate for state supreme court earlier this year despite the two female candidates having served longer on the second-highest court.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:14 am
stessier wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:59 am That being said, I'm not sure what changed from January when the state Supreme Court struck down seemingly the same law.
You probably don't want to know:
A South Carolina supreme court ruling in January struck down a previous six-week abortion ban, but since then the makeup of the court has changed, with its sole female justice retiring after writing the lead opinion in the case. She was replaced by a man in what is now the country's only all-male state supreme court.

South Carolina is one of only two states where legislators are the sole body that selects justices, and ProPublica reported that the Freedom Caucus rallied around the male candidate for state supreme court earlier this year despite the two female candidates having served longer on the second-highest court.
Sigh - I knew there had to be something. Thanks for finding that.

I have two girls. If we stay through the end of their college (and they go to college in state), they will both likely qualify for $7500 in scholarships every year without doing anything more than being a resident and doing well in school. That is hard to pass up and yet...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

South Carolina
A South Carolina judge has temporarily blocked the state’s new abortion restrictions from going into effect, just one day after Gov. Henry McMaster signed them into law.

The law, which limited most abortions as early as six weeks into a pregnancy, was signed by McMaster, a Republican, on Thursday and went into effect immediately. Moments later, Planned Parenthood South Atlantic, along with the Greenville Women’s Clinic and two physician plaintiffs, filed a lawsuit in state court to try to stop it.

Circuit Court Judge Clifton Newman made the decision Friday in Richland County, South Carolina, to put the new law on hold until the state Supreme Court can review the case to determine whether it violates the state’s constitution.

For now, abortions in the state remain legal up until around 20 weeks until the Supreme Court makes a decision or takes other action to allow implementation of the law.
South Carolina passed a similar six-week abortion ban in 2021, but the state Supreme Court struck it down earlier this year, concluding that the state constitution’s privacy protections require that women be allowed sufficient time to determine they are pregnant and end a pregnancy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You might want to sit down before reading about Ohio:
COLUMBUS, Ohio — After months of denial, Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose admitted that the proposal to make the constitution harder to amend is "100%" due to efforts to legalize abortion.

Advocates have argued that Issue 1, which would make it harder to amend the Ohio constitution, is actually about trying to make it harder to make abortion a constitutional right.

It’s 100% about keeping a radical pro-abortion amendment out of our constitution," LaRose said.

Raw video obtained by News 5 from Scanner Media shows the secretary at Lincoln Day on May 22, 2023 in Seneca County, with what advocates call "saying the quiet part out loud."

"It is utterly shameful that Secretary LaRose or anyone would work to take this freedom away from us for just one issue," Jen Miller with the League of Women Voters of Ohio said.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Iowa
Iowa's highest court did not revive a 2018 ban on most abortions on Friday, meaning that abortion will remain legal in the state up to 20 weeks of pregnancy for now.

One of the court's seven justices did not take part in the ruling for an unspecified reason, and the remaining justices deadlocked 3-3. That automatically left in place a 2019 court order blocking the law.

Governor Kim Reynolds, a Republican, had asked the court to dissolve the order, which stemmed from a lawsuit by Planned Parenthood, arguing the law violated the right to privacy and equal protection under the U.S. Constitution before Roe v. Wade was overturned in 2022.
Iowa passed a law banning abortion once a fetal heartbeat is detected, usually around six weeks, in 2018. The law was blocked because of the U.S. Supreme Court's longstanding 1973 ruling in Roe v. Wade, which guaranteed abortion rights nationwide.

The Supreme Court overturned Roe last year, and Reynolds immediately sought to revive the 2018 law. The trial court judge said there was no legal mechanism for doing that, and three Supreme Court justices agreed.

"In our view, it is legislating from the bench to take a statute that was moribund when it was enacted and has been enjoined for four years and then to put it into effect," Justice Thomas Waterman wrote Friday.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lawsuit against anti-abortion "pregnancy center" incoming, as a class action for having nurses dispense "medical" advice...
According to a press release, Doe thought she might be pregnant in October 2022 and wanted to get an ultrasound. She found Clearway through an online search and got an appointment later that day. A Clearway nurse did an ultrasound and said the pregnancy was both viable and in her uterus; the suit says it’s against state medical regulations for registered nurses to read ultrasounds because they’re not licensed diagnosticians. A physician didn’t see Doe, though her discharge paperwork said a medical doctor provided her care.

A month later, Doe felt shooting pain on her side and was so weak and lightheaded that her husband called 911, per the release. Emergency room doctors diagnosed her with a ruptured ectopic pregnancy and internal hemorrhage. In order to stop the hemorrhaging, doctors did emergency surgery in which they had to remove of one of her fallopian tubes. None of this should have been necessary, as legitimate medical providers would have ended Doe’s life-threatening pregnancy with medication—typically the cancer drug methotrexate
Note of caution - all info from the lawyer filing the lawsuit, it appears.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not abortion, but in case you're wondering what's coming next:
Major conservative influencers on social media platforms such as Twitter and Rumble have coalesced in recent months around talking points that connect birth control with a variety of negative health outcomes, which experts say instill fear in women who could otherwise benefit from using birth control.

But the information the influencers are referring to lacks crucial context, says Dr. Danielle Jones, an OB-GYN, and they fail to include recent scientific developments that challenge their narrative.

The social media trend of attacking birth control has also coincided with legal and legislative efforts targeting birth control access, most notably emergency contraceptives. In response to the Supreme Court’s ruling that revoked the constitutional right to an abortion, Justice Clarence Thomas wrote that the court “should reconsider” other decisions, including those codifying the right to contraceptive access.

In place of birth control, she said, many conservatives have taken a page from the natural health community and promoted cycle tracking and other fertility awareness methods. Several of the female conservative influencers write for and share articles from Evie Magazine, a media company whose founder also created a cycle-tracking startup called 28 by Evie. Conservative billionaire tech titan Peter Thiel has invested in the startup and more recently in fertility companies targeting international markets. During her interview, St. Clair also suggested that women should be taught to track their cycles as an alternative to medication birth control.

But, Jones said, fertility awareness methods to prevent pregnancy could fail “even in the most experienced person.” They require taking the temperature every day before getting out of bed, monitoring cervical mucus and knowing exactly what to look for, keeping track of all of these things on a chart, and avoiding intercourse or using another method to prevent pregnancy within the fertile window, she said.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well the US birth rate has been below replacement level for quite some time and was still falling the last I heard, so white women need to step up. The only alternatives are more immigration or decoupling economic growth from population growth, and that sounds complicated.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Or... Gasp - maybe we are OK with less people, going foreward???
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

On the golf course anyway.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:12 pm Or... Gasp - maybe we are OK with less people, going foreward???
Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:19 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:12 pm Or... Gasp - maybe we are OK with less people, going foreward???
Enlarge Image
Now make it into one of the “Hope” posters.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote:Or... Gasp - maybe we are OK with less people, going foreward???
The GOP wants more serfs.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:58 am Enlarge Image
:D
I will accept that, with a little brotherly room for interpretation.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Let's check in on Nebraska:
A Nebraska mother pleaded guilty Friday to giving her 17-year-old daughter pills for an illegal abortion last year and helping to burn and bury the fetus.

Under a plea agreement, Jessica Burgess, 42, of Norfolk, admitted to providing an abortion after 20 weeks of gestation, false reporting and tampering with human skeletal remains. Charges of concealing the death of another person and abortion by someone other than a licensed physician were dismissed.

Burgess was accused of helping her then-17-year-old daughter, Celeste Burgess, end her pregnancy. Madison County District Court documents show she ordered abortion pills on the internet.

After the teen aborted the 29-week-old fetus, the two burned the remains and buried them in a field north of Norfolk in northeastern Nebraska. Authorities later found the burned fetus.
Relation to this thread:
Madison County Attorney Joe Smith has said it’s the first time he has charged anyone with illegally performing an abortion after 20 weeks, a restriction that was passed in 2010. In May, Republican Gov. Jim Pillen signed a 12-week abortion ban,