Post by coopasonic »

Finished it tonight as well.

Huh.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Re: Far Cry 5

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 pm Finished it tonight as well.

Huh.
According to the stats page, you were twenty hours in the campaign. Does that sound about right?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
karen

Post by karen »

You bad bad spammer
neofit

Post by neofit »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:08 pm According to the stats page, you were twenty hours in the campaign. Does that sound about right?
I did it all in 39 hours according to Origin. This includes 5+ hours in Arcade. I never bothered to finish any of the collection quests, I only flew around the spots in a chopper at night to pass the time till morning. I didn't do any of Clutch Nixon's plane challenges. I did all the story and side quests. Only hunting and fishing I did was if a mission required it.

A word of warning though. Before you go do the final mission, you'll know when it comes, make sure you finish everything you wanted to do in the campaign (or backup the save file). Because, thanks to the idiotic save system so dear to zero-persistence console game developers, there will be no way back. One single checkpoint save slot means that every time I try to use the "Continue game" option, I "reload" to the scrolling end credits, with no way to get back to before the final mission to play a little more. People used to complain that checkpoints were too far between? Now eat this! :)
raydude

Post by raydude »

The random events in this game are hilarious. When I encountered my first Cult VIP I thought I was toast. I was wounded and on the ground and he was right next to me. Boomer was trying to get to me, but I figured Boomer would get killed too. Then out of nowhere an aggressive turkey started attacking the VIP. And it was a stalemate! Boomer revived me then we both watched the turkey fight for a while. The VIP eventually won but I guess the turkey took out a bunch of his hit points because I was able to kill help shortly after.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:08 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 pm Finished it tonight as well.

Huh.
According to the stats page, you were twenty hours in the campaign. Does that sound about right?
Yes. That's about right. I pretty much did everything in the John's area. I did a good bit of Faith's area and barely skimmed Jacob's area. I think I only spent about an hour in the Arcade.
neofit wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:55 am A word of warning though. Before you go do the final mission, you'll know when it comes, make sure you finish everything you wanted to do in the campaign (or backup the save file). Because, thanks to the idiotic save system so dear to zero-persistence console game developers, there will be no way back. One single checkpoint save slot means that every time I try to use the "Continue game" option, I "reload" to the scrolling end credits, with no way to get back to before the final mission to play a little more. People used to complain that checkpoints were too far between? Now eat this! :)
When I continue I spawn with the game showing all areas liberated and I can keep completing quests and collecting stuff. I think maybe you need to get all the way through the credits once? There are a LOT of credits, but there is also a button to speed them up that goes faster and faster and it takes a long time even at ludicrous speed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
neofit

Post by neofit »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:52 am When I continue I spawn with the game showing all areas liberated and I can keep completing quests and collecting stuff. I think maybe you need to get all the way through the credits once? There are a LOT of credits, but there is also a button to speed them up that goes faster and faster and it takes a long time even at ludicrous speed.
Heh, indeed, thanks :).
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I was able to continue playing. At first, it loaded me into an apparently arbitrary location, but then I used to the "Outpost Master" option to reset the outposts so that there would be something interesting to do, and that reloaded me to a location on the starting island. Oddly, it also seems to have reset my Arcade rating. At any rate, after resetting the outposts, all of the side missions carried over from the original campaign.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I stumbled onto a fun easter egg today. It turns out that when they aren't with you, your guns-for-hire hang out together at a bar.
Spoiler:
You can find them at the 8-Bit Pizza Bar, just a little west of the Hope County Jail.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've been playing this off and on since release... only about 75% through the first big area, but it's enjoyable for the most part. Good gunplay, lots of cool world design and attention to detail.

I think my only complaint is how ham fisted some of the story segments are so far. I've had a couple times where I've just wanted to hop on and do some random open world missions for a bit, only to get forced into doing story missions. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the FC formula, but the story and characters haven't grabbed me in the slightest and just seem to get in the way of having fun.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:44 pm I stumbled onto a fun easter egg today. It turns out that when they aren't with you, your guns-for-hire hang out together at a bar.
Spoiler:
You can find them at the 8-Bit Pizza Bar, just a little west of the Hope County Jail.
That's where she was going! I remember having a gun-for-hire who rode with me in one of the Cult jeeps with an MG up top. We got out somewhere, and I decided to switch her out with Nick Rye. So the gun for hire said "adios" and got in the driver seat of the jeep and started to drive. I decided to get in the MG spot and see where she would drive to. She drove for quite a while before crossing over into Faith's territory, which I hadn't done yet, so I got off. But all that time I wondered if she would just drive aimlessly or had a destination in mind.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just can't seem to get up the energy to complete the campaign, I'm just not thrilled with it. However, I might just have to give the Arcade another look, especially since today is Friday Arcade Night: New Maps and Challenges.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Clutch Nixon is not just an aerial daredevil! Now I have to try that shit out. I hate flying challenges, but driving is AOK.
There is no hug button. Sad!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I like this article over on Kotaku, The Far Cry Series Needs To Let Things Break Again
Far Cry 5 suggests a world on the brink of a violence apocalypse, but the game’s sanitized gameplay and clean-cut power fantasy ultimately ring hollow. If the series wants to make a case for human savagery, it should look back to Far Cry 2, a game that wasn’t afraid to let things break...
JCC

Post by JCC »

So I am a relative noob to Far Cry. The only other game I played was Blood Dragon which was very funny, but after some fun got bored and never finished it. I saw some vids of FC5 and had some Steam credit, so I picked it up.

As far as the game went, I had a lot of fun. I generally preferred the random moments, and smaller scale quests to the main story line. I thought a game killing religious fanatics would be fun, and it was. I expected the main story to be better, but it was pretty disappointing. I found all the "primary quest" stuff with the 3 siblings to be my least favorite parts of the game. The timed shit with Jacob particularly sucked. And, the fact that you kept having to repeat it over and over was quite annoying. The final boss fight was also not that fun. The ending (I apparently got the "good" one) was absolutely terrible. Way to make everything I did feel worthless. My plan was to keep playing, but that ending left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, the open world, random stuff was a lot of fun. I also enjoyed the small scale missions as well. I think I will probably check out FC4 after a while when it's on sale. So thumbs mostly up even with the bad taste in my mouth from the ending.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All the FC games are very good though parts like the towers do get repetitive.

Far Cry - My favorite still of all of them. Holds up but not as well as Id hoped. Was amazing when new.

Far Cry 2 - Brought some stuff to the table like really cool flame and fire effects. But I really HATED the respawns and the constant hunt and need for malaria drugs. Almost ruined the game for me.

Far Cry 3 - The game that redeemed the series for me and brought me fully back in. Brody is not the greatest character but he'll do. Voss is THE bad guy and very memorable. In fact I cant remember the true leader's name now. He was like a addon.

Far Cry 4 - I wasn't expecting much after the heaven that was FC3 but it was even better. Min is the perfect 'bad' guy. I actually grew to like him and hate the two idiots I worked with. I was hoping a full addon would come out that had me work for Min instead. I loved him that much. I would still play that.

FC Primal - The caveman far Cry. I really really love the game but Im having a hell of a time staying interested enough to finish it. Im trying . has a multitude of reasons to love it and I do. But something is keeping it UNgreat for me.

Maybe I need a break and switch to the Assassin Creed games and go back and finish Black Flag..THE BEST AC game ever. Its ruined me.. I cant stand any other AC game now. I will TRY to like Syndicate and play it too. The twins look promising to play as.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
JCC

Post by JCC »

Thanks for the rundown. I will try to check out FC4 when it's on sale sometime.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

JCC wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:37 pm The ending (I apparently got the "good" one) was absolutely terrible. Way to make everything I did feel worthless. My plan was to keep playing, but that ending left a really bad taste in my mouth.
Playing after the ending felt really sterile, since most of the open-world mayhem is gone. I ended up starting a second play-through, and I'm deliberately avoiding the main quests as much as possible in favor of running around and getting into trouble with random encounters while doing the side quests.

What the game really needs is the ability to reset the regional control as well as the outposts after you beat it.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JCC wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:00 pm Thanks for the rundown. I will try to check out FC4 when it's on sale sometime.
I haven't played #5 or Primal, but I think this comic is pretty damn good:

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've finished them all and I'd say it is pretty accurate. Should be 'Murica in that last frame though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Heck, I haven't even played FC4 yet.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m playing the first one.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

over a year later and Im STILL playing Primal. You can only stick arrows in cavemen so long during each day.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

For some strange reason I really liked Primal, but then again I've loved every Far Cry game so the formula doesn't really get old for me. I guess the caveman thing was enough of a change that I didn't really care about the Far Cry 4 similarities.

I still haven't bought Far Cry 5 as I know once I get it all other games will be put on the backburner until I obsessively 100% it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've given up on FC5 after about twenty some hours. I've played all of them except Primal and enjoyed them, but this one just seems like it's unbalanced. I've got more than a third of the map to unlock yet I have so many weapons, perks and companions it doesn't feel adventurous.

I'm reinstalling FC2 which I played so long ago before I had it on Steam. I have it now there and I've put in a few hours a while ago, but maybe this time I'll do a whole playthrough.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont get the Primal map being the same. I mean I know it is but I played 4 to death and the Primal map doesn't feel at all the same in any ways. I am also not trying to see it.

Hey found you guy a interactive map. Now you can find all those bears and such you want :)

http://www.ign.com/maps/far-cry-5/interactive
raydude

Post by raydude »

I like the little touches in the Far Cry 5 world. Went up to a fire lookout tower that some PEGies had taken over, killed them all, and took a looksee around the tower for loot. Saw a wanted poster that the Cult had put up. Hmmm, that picture on the wanted poster looks familiar. Wait, that's my character, wearing her current outfit!
HelwigW33D

Post by HelwigW33D »

I think that Far Cry 5 is one of the most playable games right now.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Just received a email from Humble bundle .They have FC5 for $40. My arm is twisting.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Greenman gaming has it for $36 40% off. Trigger pulled! :D
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Finished the campaign this evening. Started on the Vietnam DLC, may come back to it. Undecided at the moment.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont know about any DLC for FC5. I finished the main game and the spin off New Dawn.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:37 am Dont know about any DLC for FC5. I finished the main game and the spin off New Dawn.
The Mars one is fun if you like Hurk. If I'm remembering it correctly It involves him getting abducted and his brain implanted in a robot. I love me some Hurk, so naturally I enjoyed that DLC.
FTE
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Weird. I have all the Far Cry 5 DLC and I know I played the Viet Nam one but I don't recall playing either of the Mars or zombie ones. I'll have to check those out Soon™.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lost on Mars is done.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dead Living Zombies done. Far Cry 5 is going into the Done pile.