Boosting wifi speed across the house

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Boosting wifi speed across the house

Post by Blackhawk »

So, tried to run the cable today. One wall was no problem. The other wall, it turns out, is 10" of solid brick, which I cannot drill through.

Plan E. Or are we to F?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:25 pm So, tried to run the cable today. One wall was no problem. The other wall, it turns out, is 10" of solid brick, which I cannot drill through.

Plan E. Or are we to F?
Follow the doors. It'll take longer cable length but it is much easier to drill the door frame than brick wall.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've already planned an alternate, hybrid route. The house really isn't conducive to it, but it'll have to do. I just need to wait until I can afford the cable.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
JCC

Post by JCC »

When I got AT&T internet in my current townhouse, one issue was that because the previous owner put all tiled floors upstairs, the wireless was non exsitent up there. So, he basically, repurposed a phoneline connection so I could have a wired connection from the main router to another (using ASUS AI mesh which can be wired or wireless).

So I guess my point is, it may be possible for you to repurpose phone jacks as ethernet jacks in your house if you don't use them.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor