Diablo 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Diablo 4

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I think The Butcher is meant to be OP. I haven't come close to killing him solo and I'm taking down most bosses with relative ease.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:23 am Yeah I think The Butcher is meant to be OP. I haven't come close to killing him solo and I'm taking down most bosses with relative ease.
I was under the impression this was an early game Easter Egg.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Was going to wait and a friend texted me, so we both bought it and played last night.

He was on PC, I was on console, we were able to party up after the prologue, but we couldn't hear each other. My mic would light up, but he couldn't hear me, and his mic wouldn't light up. Guessing he didn't enable party voice chat, so hopefully we'll try again tonight

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its my guess they kept the unbearably slow movement speed from the beta but can someone verify this? I found it way too slow..almost to D1 slowness . It turned me off on buying the game actually even if I had the money.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:50 am I figured out what I thought was the "bug" where I suddenly lost my skill/potion hotkeys. Seems I was accidentally hitting a button to bring up the chat, so the chat window was stealing my key focus and in the heat of the battle I didn't notice it.
After all of the MMOs I've played, I learned that if I lose my controls, I immediately tap escape, then enter.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:31 am Its my guess they kept the unbearably slow movement speed from the beta but can someone verify this? I found it way too slow..almost to D1 slowness . It turned me off on buying the game actually even if I had the money.
You do eventually unlock a mount for all your characters.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As to what I'm going to play, I just finished runs with Necromancer and Demon Hunter in D3, so I'll likely go with something melee and non-squishy, just for the change. That probably means Barbarian, which is what I ran in the last beta (his name was Teal'c, as that was the first thing I thought of when I saw him.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Does he have a gold C branded on his forehead?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:04 pm Does he have a gold C branded on his forehead?
He does not. Nor does he have a gold serpent. He does, however, speak in short sentences.

Indeed.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:26 am
YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:23 am Yeah I think The Butcher is meant to be OP. I haven't come close to killing him solo and I'm taking down most bosses with relative ease.
I was under the impression this was an early game Easter Egg.
Easter egg with a live grenade inside perhaps...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jaddison wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:45 am As usual this thread induced me to buy this and a version that let me play ASAP.

I have hit two dungeons with different characters where I cannot beat the end boss and in one "The Butcher" came out of nowhere, killed me right quick and then was gone when I headed back that way but the end boss was too much for me.

Anyone have this happen as well? The bosses are on level and I can figure out their attacks but they seem to do unavoidable damage and my potions dwindle rapidly and not enough drop
I ran into this when I played on World Tier 2 - everything was pretty easy until a few dungeon end bosses who were essentially unbeatable on my bow rogue. I turned it down to WT1 and beat them easily. Turn down the difficulty if you're on WT2.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Has anyone joined a Clan? Should we setup an OO clan? Or will we be too small?

Battletag: HackenSlash#1808 (Pyperkub on xBox)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Malificent wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:57 am The Butcher seems to show up in random dungeons. I've gotten pretty solid at killing end bosses but the Butcher destroys me. He really needs multiple characters pounding on him (I think). Or maybe I just have a weak build.
The Butcher's whole thing seems to be showing up early and one-shotting low level players.

I'm assuming the Butcher leaves Hardcore players alone? I would never play HC but it seems cruel for the game to spawn an unbeatable boss in permadeath.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:55 pm Has anyone joined a Clan? Should we setup an OO clan? Or will we be too small?

There was an OO clan on D3. I can't imagine that there's any penalty for being 'too small.'
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The small clan penalty is about the same as the benefit.

I'm clanned up with my other online family, people I played Everquest, DAOC, Anarchy Online and WoW with, but it's just for random chat.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exodor wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:56 pm
Malificent wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:57 am The Butcher seems to show up in random dungeons. I've gotten pretty solid at killing end bosses but the Butcher destroys me. He really needs multiple characters pounding on him (I think). Or maybe I just have a weak build.
The Butcher's whole thing seems to be showing up early and one-shotting low level players.

I'm assuming the Butcher leaves Hardcore players alone? I would never play HC but it seems cruel for the game to spawn an unbeatable boss in permadeath.
He does not leave hardcore players alone. You either get lucky enough to run away in time, or you restart. You get no other options, and if you aren't in a spot where you can get away? Random, unavoidable, instant permadeath. Why Blizzard thought that was a good idea is beyond me.

Not that I have any intention of playing HC, but I hate that kind of GM-fiat gotcha in any game. It's like a random death timer.

/edit - Oh, and I've read that Hardcore players are setting a macro to force-crash the game for when the Butcher shows up. That's some good gameplay there, Blizzard.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

didn't run into him last night in our first couple of hours getting up to level 12 or so, so no clue.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:55 pm Has anyone joined a Clan? Should we setup an OO clan? Or will we be too small?

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:32 pm There was an OO clan on D3. I can't imagine that there's any penalty for being 'too small.'
There's a Wanderers clan with some current/former OO members if anyone's interested. Search for "The Wanderers" in game, leader is Bloodright. Also has members from other satellite communities and friends we made while playing New World.

You can also join the Discord if you're so inclined: https://discord.gg/aeX78F3p. Just state you're from OO when you join. Some folks voice chat. Not super-busy, just right.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:07 pm didn't run into him last night in our first couple of hours getting up to level 12 or so, so no clue.
Level 37 and also haven't seen him in release.

I did run into him the first beta weekend and I am not sure he even noticed me as he stepped on me and continued on his way.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Malificent wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:57 am
Jaddison wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:45 am As usual this thread induced me to buy this and a version that let me play ASAP.

I have hit two dungeons with different characters where I cannot beat the end boss and in one "The Butcher" came out of nowhere, killed me right quick and then was gone when I headed back that way but the end boss was too much for me.

Anyone have this happen as well? The bosses are on level and I can figure out their attacks but they seem to do unavoidable damage and my potions dwindle rapidly and not enough drop
The Butcher seems to show up in random dungeons. I've gotten pretty solid at killing end bosses but the Butcher destroys me. He really needs multiple characters pounding on him (I think). Or maybe I just have a weak build.
Also I believe The Butcher sort of acts like an aggressive version of a treasure goblin. I was kiting him around a dungeon hitting him when I could with blood lances and he just...turned into a blood puddle and vanished out of the dungeon at about 3/4 health. It was pretty disappointing because it was going to take awhile but I felt I had him. What really sucked on top is he was injected into a quasi-boss fight so I was fending off 3 elites at the same time so I was feeling pretty psyched.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is there any way to combine gems to get higher quality ones? Can you remove a gem from a slotted item?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:38 pm I threw up an OO Diablo 4 Clan Poll
That sounds painful, make sure you rehydrate with some electrolyte beverages! :wink:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:29 pm Is there any way to combine gems to get higher quality ones? Can you remove a gem from a slotted item?
Yes to both, it becomes available at the lady south of the enchanter in the main town sometime in the teen levels.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sudy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:38 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:38 pm I threw up an OO Diablo 4 Clan Poll
That sounds painful, make sure you rehydrate with some electrolyte beverages! :wink:
It was my druidic bear form? ;)

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Side note - lesson learned last night:

In the few boss battles I’ve had up to level 12, I did notice that I wasn’t doing much damage with my Druid’s Earth Spike attack, then I noticed that even tho I had completed the Basic upgrade map for that ability, the core ability was only at level 1 of 5, so now I’m building that back up as my primary attack.

but I only realized that after I started in on the 2nd core area with the Landslide/Earthquake ability and leveled that up to 2. Then I went back and saw my primary was still only level 1!

Oops.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holy batshit, Fatman! Have you seen the cosmetic prices?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Huh, a pale guy in a hood dropping red petals everywhere.

This game has Arthas?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zathras would be better.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Or Zardoz.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:17 pmOr Zardoz.
Are leather speedos one of the cosmetic items in the shop? If so, can you lend me that much silver?

Played for an hour tonight. No issues with wait times or anything. I started with a Druid as I normally play rogues or necromancers and I thought I’d try something different this time. But my problem is that I’m worried I’m missing out on the loot aspect of the game as my main weapon is turning into a werewolf and not using any weapons. I’m torn, man.

Side note: I’m running this with everything set to ultra and DLSS set to quality and it’s smooth as butter on my 13th gen i7 with a 4080. :wub:
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:17 pm Are leather speedos one of the cosmetic items in the shop?
If they're are, they'll be $18.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Level 21 and making some progress:

Joined the OO Clan.
Got my first Legendary item (helm)
Upgraded my heal potions
Crafted my first gem
Added gems to a couple slotted items
Upgraded some gear
Got my first Codex of Power (it's for blades and I use bow exclusively but yeah)
Cheesed my first boss:
I was handling him fine, but he went off screen and my seeking arrows could still reach him so I couldn't resist.

Is there any way to quickly switch weapon sets, say from bow to blades and back?

I'm ready to try the Black Lake again. I think dungeons create at whatever level you are, so I'm going in a nub from the next level.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:17 pm I started with a Druid as I normally play rogues or necromancers and I thought I’d try something different this time. But my problem is that I’m worried I’m missing out on the loot aspect of the game as my main weapon is turning into a werewolf and not using any weapons. I’m torn, man.
Your weapon is still used to determine the damage your werewolf attack, and pretty much every other attack, does. You may not see your weapon swinging but it is doing its part.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I could’ve sworn my werewolf claw attack has its own damage value. I assumed that was replacing my weapon entirely. :?
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:58 am I could’ve sworn my werewolf claw attack has its own damage value. I assumed that was replacing my weapon entirely. :?
Check the attack value, unequip your weapons, check the attack value again. You will notice a drastic change, I promise.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, thanks. That makes my choice a bit more fun then. I may try a necro and/or rogue though. I remember doing that with Diablo 3. Just trying a few different characters until I settled on the Demon Hunter.

I really do need to read a primer on the Diablo games and how they work though. Even with the last iteration, I was completely confused by the "seasons", special loot, etc.. Anyone have any suggestions for such?
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Seasons are essentially a set of new quests and achievements to work towards in exchange for cosmetics and items exclusive to that season. Just think of a season as a set of "goodies" you can earn that will be retired when the next season begins. The caveat is you have to start a new Seasonal character to be able to participate, so everyone's put on a level playing field.

Supposedly D4 is putting a greater emphasis on Seasons gameplay than D3, which I'm fine with. I got a little bored with the endgame grind, so having a good excuse to start new characters is welcome.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks. Maybe I'll just hold off on a new alt until the next season then. Sounds like those are perfect for trying out new characters.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Especially since Season 1 is apparently only a month and a half away. My loose plan is to finish this Necro run I'm on and possibly get a second in at World Tier 3. And then wait for S1.