Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:29 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:10 pm Do ya know what I miss? Space games that aren't sandbox economy simulators (IE - Galactic Truck Simulator.) There are a few, but not many.
I think I know what you mean, but for the life of me I can't quite think of one :think:. Anyone have examples? I'd love to try one of these myself as I think I've burned out of games that have economy aspects in them, such as pretty much every colony and city builder. I'm OK with games with basic economy systems like Jagged Alliance, but more than that is putting me off right now.
Nothing new'ish springs to mind. But older titles aplenty...Freespace 1 & 2, Starlancer, Tachyon The Fringe(You're Bruce Campbell!).
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:10 pm Do ya know what I miss? Space games that aren't sandbox economy simulators (IE - Galactic Truck Simulator.) There are a few, but not many.
I think I know what you mean, but for the life of me I can't quite think of one :think:. Anyone have examples? I'd love to try one of these myself as I think I've burned out of games that have economy aspects in them, such as pretty much every colony and city builder. I'm OK with games with basic economy systems like Jagged Alliance, but more than that is putting me off right now.
Back in them olden days? Freespace, several Star Wars games, Wing Commander, Tachyon: The Fringe, etc. Modern? Other than Squadrons, maybe Everspace?

I like sandbox games quite a bit, and would love some genuine plot-driven space sandbox games, but I find the popular "Land, buy low, hit warp, sell high, buy something else low, hit warp, sell high. Maybe kill a pirate now and then.' to be tedious and dull. I don't mind an economy, but I don't want to just haul cargo back and forth for hours. I do like the Truck Sim games, but at least they have scenery.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:17 pm I like sandbox games quite a bit, and would love some genuine plot-driven space sandbox games, but I find the popular "Land, buy low, hit warp, sell high, buy something else low, hit warp, sell high. Maybe kill a pirate now and then.' to be tedious and dull. I don't mind an economy, but I don't want to just haul cargo back and forth for hours. I do like the Truck Sim games, but at least they have scenery.
Did you mean "I don't like the Truck Sim games, but at least they have scenery"? I agree with you. I got into Elite Dangerous way back when it was still only available on the dev's website, but space was pretty boring. At least driving through Texas in ATS there are cows and billboards :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:21 pm Did you mean "I don't like the Truck Sim games, but at least they have scenery"? I agree with you. I got into Elite Dangerous way back when it was still only available on the dev's website, but space was pretty boring. At least driving through Texas in ATS there are cows and billboards :wink:
No, I do like them. I spent a lot of time engaged in long-distance travel growing up, and have been practically everywhere (or at least close by) that the game goes, so I find the travel itself to be enjoyable. Not mechanically engaging, but relaxing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:17 pm
Back in them olden days? Freespace, several Star Wars games, Wing Commander, Tachyon: The Fringe, etc. Modern? Other than Squadrons, maybe Everspace?

I like sandbox games quite a bit, and would love some genuine plot-driven space sandbox games, but I find the popular "Land, buy low, hit warp, sell high, buy something else low, hit warp, sell high. Maybe kill a pirate now and then.' to be tedious and dull. I don't mind an economy, but I don't want to just haul cargo back and forth for hours. I do like the Truck Sim games, but at least they have scenery.
I used to play a series of games called X. They let me build factories and sell my own products and such.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:28 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:21 pm Did you mean "I don't like the Truck Sim games, but at least they have scenery"? I agree with you. I got into Elite Dangerous way back when it was still only available on the dev's website, but space was pretty boring. At least driving through Texas in ATS there are cows and billboards :wink:
No, I do like them. I spent a lot of time engaged in long-distance travel growing up, and have been practically everywhere (or at least close by) that the game goes, so I find the travel itself to be enjoyable. Not mechanically engaging, but relaxing.
My wife and I have taken long road trips across the country and I find the driving relaxing as well, especially out West.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if they'd ever add a Route 66 DLC to American Truck Sim?
Zarathud

Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Zarathud »

Almost the 25 year anniversary of FreeSpace. I was planning to send Adam Pletcher and Dave Baranec a bottle of champagne, but they’re no longer at Volition. :(
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:54 pm I wonder if they'd ever add a Route 66 DLC to American Truck Sim?
ATS is expanded by state and the western half of Route 66 is already there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:45 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:54 pm I wonder if they'd ever add a Route 66 DLC to American Truck Sim?
ATS is expanded by state and the western half of Route 66 is already there.
And just like in real life, sections of Route 66 in the game are marked with either roadside signs or the shield actually painted on the road. A couple of years ago we were in Tulsa and when we drove from the hotel to a pizza joint a few miles away we were actually on Rte 66 for a couple of miles and saw those markers.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

From what I understand, it's no longer the major artery it once was, but that they've included it because of how iconic it is.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:50 pm From what I understand, it's no longer the major artery it once was, but that they've included it because of how iconic it is.
The part of it we drove in Tulsa was just a two lane secondary road, but it was still special.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Only the first game trailer shown is Unreal 5 engine. But there are some neat looking MMOs mixed in there and some that look like derivative clunkers.

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Decisions, decisions! I'm getting the itch to dive into a party based rpg with satisfying character building. Do I jump back into Solasta user made campaigns, attempt to finish Pathfinder: WotR, or try to find a hidden gem in my backlog?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've been hearing really good things about the current state of the Baldur's Gate 3 early access build, but I haven't fired it up any time recently to see for myself.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I've avoided buying BG3 so far. If nothing else my current computer is a little old so I've been thinking more of older games or ones I already know work fine.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can you guys check my thread on a SSD real fast. I want to buy tonight if I can..my SSD is failing fast.

https://octopusoverlords.com/forum/view ... 3#p2976453
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

New Jagged Alliance on July 14. Baldur's Gate 3 (aka DivDiv3) on Aug 31. Starfield shortly thereafter. Shadow Gambit looking great and is scheduled for Aug 17 release. System Shock remake, DREDGE, The Pale Beyond, and Shadows Over Loathing looking great. And I'm already in the time sink that is Diablo IV. I'm set for not only the rest of 2023 but into mid-2024 with just those games, assuming I pull the trigger.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoken like a man without a backlog
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Oh, if only.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

I had the similar thoughts when I saw Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield were coming out ~7 days of each other (allegedly). Can't remember the last time I was in a PC gaming conundrum like that.

That said, I'm sure coop will have them both beat before I can finish the tutorial on whatever I end up choosing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

:lol: He is a machine.

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Something new for motorheads

The Crew Motorfest Release Date Set for September 14; Beta Upcoming
The Crew Motorfest will launch on September 14 for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows PC through the Epic Games Store and the Ubisoft Store. Players can also get the game three days early by pre-ordering the Gold or Ultimate Edition: this Premium Early Access is also included in the Ubisoft+ subscription on PC via Ubisoft Connect, Xbox, and Amazon Luna. Also, players looking to get an early taste of The Crew Motorfest’s high-speed action can sign up for the Closed Beta, which will run from July 21-23 on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X.

An all-new open-world motorsports game, The Crew Motorfest is set on the Hawaiian island of O’ahu, where players can freely explore Honolulu’s streets, off-road down volcanoes, and race more than 610 vehicles (at launch) through rainforests, beaches, and winding mountain roads. A central part of The Crew Motorfest is the introduction of Playlists – multi-event campaigns built around a single car-culture theme, which players can tackle at any time, in any order
Enlarge Image

Race around Oahu in an open world game? Reminds me of Test Drive Unlimited.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:54 pm :D

I had the similar thoughts when I saw Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield were coming out ~7 days of each other (allegedly). Can't remember the last time I was in a PC gaming conundrum like that.

That said, I'm sure coop will have them both beat before I can finish the tutorial on whatever I end up choosing.
I think BG3 is a Deep Discount game for me... I have 148 hours in D:OS2 and have never finished it. I reinstalled last month and barely got to the island before I wandered away bored... again. This, combined with my lack of enthusiasm for Pathfinder: Kingmaker makes me think I should not rush into BG3. I loved the originals back in the day but that day was long, long ago.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:25 pm Something new for motorheads

The Crew Motorfest Release Date Set for September 14; Beta Upcoming
The Crew Motorfest will launch on September 14 for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows PC through the Epic Games Store and the Ubisoft Store. Players can also get the game three days early by pre-ordering the Gold or Ultimate Edition: this Premium Early Access is also included in the Ubisoft+ subscription on PC via Ubisoft Connect, Xbox, and Amazon Luna. Also, players looking to get an early taste of The Crew Motorfest’s high-speed action can sign up for the Closed Beta, which will run from July 21-23 on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X.

An all-new open-world motorsports game, The Crew Motorfest is set on the Hawaiian island of O’ahu, where players can freely explore Honolulu’s streets, off-road down volcanoes, and race more than 610 vehicles (at launch) through rainforests, beaches, and winding mountain roads. A central part of The Crew Motorfest is the introduction of Playlists – multi-event campaigns built around a single car-culture theme, which players can tackle at any time, in any order
Enlarge Image

Race around Oahu in an open world game? Reminds me of Test Drive Unlimited.
I really hope it is a more compelling experience than The Crew 2.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm in the middle of playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein with the realRTCW mod (which is amazing btw, games looks fantastic), and was trying to figure out what single player game in the series comes next. I've seen a couple of mentions of just "Wolfenstein" that came out in 2009 (RtCW came out in 01 I think), but I can't find it ANYwhere...not on Steam, not on GoG...any ideas? Is it even worth playing?

Raven/id software FWIW.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It apparently disappeared in 2014 for "unknown reasons" (according to Wiki). That's weird.

I looked through a bunch of screen shots and I'm not even sure I played it. I was heavily into using my Xbox360 at the time because my PC wasn't great, so that's probably why I missed it. I personally wouldn't sweat it and just jump right into Wolfenstein: The New Order, which I really enjoyed.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:32 pm It apparently disappeared in 2014 for "unknown reasons" (according to Wiki). That's weird.

I looked through a bunch of screen shots and I'm not even sure I played it. I was heavily into using my Xbox360 at the time because my PC wasn't great, so that's probably why I missed it. I personally wouldn't sweat it and just jump right into Wolfenstein: The New Order, which I really enjoyed.
I didn't even see that referenced in the wikipedia article...I wonder if it got canceled for some reason, or maybe changed the name? Very odd.

Edit: nvm, I see the reference to the disappearance now. I did see a physical copy on Amazon for something crazy like $40
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can buy Wolfenstein (2009) on Etsy and such. But I dont remember playing it. I started with Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014). then Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (2015). After that I swear I played Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (2017) but I dont own a copy so not sure how I played it. I now own Wolfenstein: Youngblood but haven't played it.

I have to reinstall Steam today and games..may toss it in.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:36 pm Edit: nvm, I see the reference to the disappearance now. I did see a physical copy on Amazon for something crazy like $40
Googling around a bit more:
The company presumably allowed the game to remain on Steam until just before the release of Wolfenstein: The New Order on May 19th. Since The New Order largely reinvented the Wolfenstein canon that came before it, Zenimax may have chosen to delist the 2009 release to avoid brand confusion.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:14 pm I'm in the middle of playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein with the realRTCW mod (which is amazing btw, games looks fantastic), and was trying to figure out what single player game in the series comes next. I've seen a couple of mentions of just "Wolfenstein" that came out in 2009 (RtCW came out in 01 I think), but I can't find it ANYwhere...not on Steam, not on GoG...any ideas? Is it even worth playing?

Raven/id software FWIW.
It is available for download courtesy of Archive.org.

I have not played it personally though, and its Wikipedia entry suggests it received a lukewarm reception from critics back in the day, so I dunno if it's worth playing.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

EA Games is dead, long live EA Entertainment and EA Sports
EA are cutting themselves down the middle, with EA Games and EA Sports now making up two separate units, and the former getting a rebrand. From now on, EA Games will be known as EA Entertainment, which really doesn't have as good a ring to it (no one's going to be quoting "it's in the entertainment," any time soon are they?). The name change does imply a broader expansion into more than just games, but it's obviously a bit of a wait and see kind of situation until EA show off something that isn't a video game.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think in its early days they were known as Electronic Arts Entertainment, so if anything, it sounds like a return to their roots.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Uh-oh...

In the last couple of days I have installed, launched, and uninstalled a half a dozen games.

Gaming slump alert! :auto-ambulance:

The proximate cause: A couple of bad game experiences in a row. First was an early access title that I'm not going to name, as it has a lot of potential and I don't want to give it a black mark. It just isn't ready to play yet. The second was another attempt at Fallout 76, which has improved - it used to be a flaming pile of shit. Now it's just a steaming turd. Still, five weeks of trying to play it and dealing with poor design, aggressive monetization, and bugs caused mostly by lazy developers (I had issues with a number of bugs that were present in Fallout 4 at launch and have been reported hundreds of times, and the fact that they crammed coop gameplay into a single player game created all sorts of problems.)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I know several people who think Fallout 76 is the best thing since sliced bread and play it daily as their game of choice. I haven't played it all that recently (I played for a few months at launch, then again a year or two ago). My only real complaint is one that also applies to ESO, in that they have gone out of their way to make it a PITA to manage inventory/storage, especially for crafting, unless you pony up for the subscription to get the bonus capacity and unlimited crafting component storage. My inner thrifty Scotsman will only tolerate one game subscription at a time, so ESO won out and I have not been playing F76. When I eventually burn out on ESO and drop the subscription, there's a good chance I'll switch back to F76. It's janky, but I had fun with it.