Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Smoove_B »

Does this go here?
The PGA Tour has agreed to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf in a deal that would see the competitors squash pending litigation and move forward as a larger golf enterprise.

LIV Golf is backed by the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund, an entity controlled by the Saudi crown prince and has been embroiled in antitrust lawsuits with the PGA Tour in the last year. The deal announced Tuesday would end all pending litigation.

PIF is prepared to invest billions of new capital into the new entity, CNBC'S David Faber reported on Tuesday. Terms of the deal weren't disclosed.
Of note:
LIV Golf, which launched in 2022 and has been spending top dollar to lure golfers, has also been the subject of controversy, criticism and political intrigue in the U.S. PIF has reportedly invested $2 billion into LIV already, and had aspirations of creating franchises and teams that could one day be sold.

Critics of LIV have also accused PIF of "sportswashing" by using the league to distract from the kingdom's history of human rights violations.

Family members of those that perished in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks have protested the league, including outside of events. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers on Sept. 11 were from Saudi Arabia, and Osama Bin Laden, the mastermind behind the attacks, was born in the country. It has been concluded by U.S. officials that Saudi nationals helped fund the terrorist group al-Qaida, although investigations didn't find that the Saudi officials were complicit in the attacks.
Of course:
Former President Donald Trump has hosted a number of LIV Golf events at his golf courses. He has defended being the host of events, falsely claiming that "nobody's gotten to the bottom of 9/11." Last year, Trump also said on Truth Social that a merger between LIV and The PGA Tour was inevitable.

On Tuesday, Trump weighed in on the merger on his Truth Social platform: "Great news from LIV Golf. A big, beautiful, and glamorous deal for the wonderful world of golf. Congrats to all!!!"
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish someone would ask republican voters who vote republican because they dislike or hate on other Americans and their lifestyles or views.......You really vote yes to those who wish to take away other Americans rights? Americans....land of the free? Ya know just because they are taking away rights of your fellow citizens that you dont agree with doesn't mean your ass wont be next or be affected in some way.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:48 am Does this go here?
The PGA Tour has agreed to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf in a deal that would see the competitors squash pending litigation and move forward as a larger golf enterprise.

LIV Golf is backed by the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund, an entity controlled by the Saudi crown prince and has been embroiled in antitrust lawsuits with the PGA Tour in the last year. The deal announced Tuesday would end all pending litigation.

PIF is prepared to invest billions of new capital into the new entity, CNBC'S David Faber reported on Tuesday. Terms of the deal weren't disclosed.
Of note:
LIV Golf, which launched in 2022 and has been spending top dollar to lure golfers, has also been the subject of controversy, criticism and political intrigue in the U.S. PIF has reportedly invested $2 billion into LIV already, and had aspirations of creating franchises and teams that could one day be sold.

Critics of LIV have also accused PIF of "sportswashing" by using the league to distract from the kingdom's history of human rights violations.

Family members of those that perished in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks have protested the league, including outside of events. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers on Sept. 11 were from Saudi Arabia, and Osama Bin Laden, the mastermind behind the attacks, was born in the country. It has been concluded by U.S. officials that Saudi nationals helped fund the terrorist group al-Qaida, although investigations didn't find that the Saudi officials were complicit in the attacks.
Of course:
Former President Donald Trump has hosted a number of LIV Golf events at his golf courses. He has defended being the host of events, falsely claiming that "nobody's gotten to the bottom of 9/11." Last year, Trump also said on Truth Social that a merger between LIV and The PGA Tour was inevitable.

On Tuesday, Trump weighed in on the merger on his Truth Social platform: "Great news from LIV Golf. A big, beautiful, and glamorous deal for the wonderful world of golf. Congrats to all!!!"
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:39 am I wish someone would ask republican voters who vote republican because they dislike or hate on other Americans and their lifestyles or views.......You really vote yes to those who wish to take away other Americans rights? Americans....land of the free? Ya know just because they are taking away rights of your fellow citizens that you dont agree with doesn't mean your ass wont be next or be affected in some way.
The rights they're taking away are bad and the ones they want to keep are good. It's simple. Don't agree? Surely they'll selectively quote the Bible to prove you wrong.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

To them the things they're taking away were never your rights in the first place.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:53 am
I don't get it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The only thing that I could come up with was that the far right was starting to complain. So by taking the money, the PGA moves back the other way on the "scale"? But I don't know if there is any truth to any of that. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Everything bad = woke. i think the Onion did it better. Darker, but better.

LIV Golfers On Saudi Course Forced To Putt Around Woman Being Beheaded
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:10 pm
pr0ner wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:53 am
I don't get it.
NYT Pitchbot specializes in bad takes that favor conservatives.

For example:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:56 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:39 am I wish someone would ask republican voters who vote republican because they dislike or hate on other Americans and their lifestyles or views.......You really vote yes to those who wish to take away other Americans rights? Americans....land of the free? Ya know just because they are taking away rights of your fellow citizens that you dont agree with doesn't mean your ass wont be next or be affected in some way.
The rights they're taking away are bad and the ones they want to keep are good. It's simple. Don't agree? Surely they'll selectively quote the Bible to prove you wrong.
It isn't just that - sometimes it's that they dislike those other Americans so much that they take joy in making them unhappy by taking away what they value.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:25 pm

Thanks. I still struggle to follow this one, but that's ok. I understand the background of PGA vs LIV (mostly) so that's not the problem, I don't think.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:02 am
Holman wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:25 pm

Thanks. I still struggle to follow this one, but that's ok. I understand the background of PGA vs LIV (mostly) so that's not the problem, I don't think.
It's a recurring bit for the Pitchbot. "Why did [bad thing happen to x]? Because x got too woke." In a vacuum it's not too funny, but as part of an ongoing bit and part of the larger criticism of NYT and its hot takes, it's amusing.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Got it. I don't usually struggle with funny pitchbot tweets posted here. To be clear, I'm not saying the bit "hurricanes exist because God is woke, etc" aren't funny because of the woke reference. I just struggled with this particular one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LOL.
horrible.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:23 am I don't usually struggle with funny pitchbot tweets posted here.
Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:23 am Got it. I don't usually struggle with funny pitchbot tweets posted here. To be clear, I'm not saying the bit "hurricanes exist because God is woke, etc" aren't funny because of the woke reference. I just struggled with this particular one.
I honestly did not really get it at all either (perhaps not great company, but I also never struggle with funny pitchbot tweets shared here), and I still mostly don't get this one.

I'm stuck on: (and may still just be ignorant of) why was/is the PGA accused of being too woke. Seems crutch to the humor.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

If I'm understanding correctly, it's not really being accused of being too woke. That is basically irrelevant. Instead, it's being used as a generic reason. With no basis in fact. Kind of like the generic "this is why we can't have nice things" or "puppies are bullshit". The satirical point is that "being too woke" is a legit reason.

Or I may have completely misunderstood the discussion. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

You are likely right, and I very likely don't get any of this.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reuters
FBI agents on Thursday arrested a real estate developer at the center of allegations that have led to the impeachment of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, according to jail records.

Nate Paul was booked into the Travis County jail in Austin after his arrest, according to the jail's online inmate records, which indicated he was there on undisclosed federal charges.

The FBI declined to comment. The Department of Justice did not immediately reply to a request for comment. It was not immediately known if Paul had legal representation. Calls and an email to Paul's business - World Class Holdings - were not returned.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:43 am Enlarge Image
That really is all you need to know to get that entire class of "because they're too woke" memes. It won't necessarily make any one of them funny, because humour is subjective, but it captures the essence of the point they're always trying to make.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Honestly, it has nothing to do with PGA/LIV golf. It's about the laziness of NYT and its over-reliance on simplistic right-wing explanations for things instead of doing actual analysis.

The woke is a lie.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:14 am
That really is all you need to know to get that entire class of "because they're too woke" memes. It won't necessarily make any one of them funny, because humour is subjective, but it captures the essence of the point they're always trying to make.
True, but in this case you'd also have to understand that the PGA/LIV merger is controversial, why it's controversial, and why conservatives (presumably the demographic most likely to use "woke" as a pejorative unironically) care about the controversy.

For myself I understood (I think) everything except why conservatives in particular would have an issue with the merger. If they don't have an issue, or they have the same issue as everyone else (on either side of the aisle) then the joke doesn't work, imo.

Anyway.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:45 am
True, but in this case you'd also have to understand that the PGA/LIV merger is controversial, why it's controversial, and why conservatives (presumably the demographic most likely to use "woke" as a pejorative unironically) care about the controversy.

For myself I understood (I think) everything except why conservatives in particular would have an issue with the merger. If they don't have an issue, or they have the same issue as everyone else (on either side of the aisle) then the joke doesn't work, imo.

Anyway.
Ty. This is -exactly- the problem I had with the particular pitchbot joke.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's as much low-hanging fruit for the satirists as it is for their targets.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:56 am It's as much low-hanging fruit for the satirists as it is for their targets.
Fair. Sometimes it's brilliant, I think. Sometimes it falls flat. I've never been accused of not over analyzing a joke, so I feel right at home here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Anyway.
That's fair. Understanding what they are going for ("Saying that something is woke is just an idiot's way of saying they don't like it.") doesn't in any way mean that they've crafted a good or insightful joke.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:31 am

Anyway.
That's fair. Understanding what they are going for ("Saying that something is woke is just an idiot's way of saying they don't like it.") doesn't in any way mean that they've crafted a good or insightful joke.
That argument is woke.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I forget where I read it, but I saw an article quite a while back that described an attorney representing the state of Florida providing a definition of woke to the court in some case where they were defending some bit of Floridian anti-woke legislation. I'm too lazy to go looking for a proper source to confirm my hazy memory, but their definition was something along the line of woke meaning that someone believed that there are structural injustices in society that should be corrected. If the likes of DeSantis think woke means being opposed to injustice and wanting to do something about it, then I'd be proud to have them count me among the ranks of the woke.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:39 am
Max Peck wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:31 am

Anyway.
That argument is woke.
I think you meant to say, "Why did Max's argument fail? It became too woke."
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:09 pm
I think you meant to say, "Why did Max's argument fail? It became too woke."
:clap:

But now I'd have to point out that the argument didn't fail. Unlike Budweiser Light. Woke bitches.

But then I'd have to point out that sales are dropping because of actual wokeness, so it's not falsely claiming woke is the source of the problem.

I'm not very good at this, am I?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

This all got way too meta for me... :shock:
Last edited by TheMix on Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:18 pm This all got way to meta for me... :shock:
Synopsis: Someone posted a joke. GG didn't get it because he was too woke.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:lol:

Damn straight.

Uh oh. Now I'm in trouble with the woke crowd.

Pssst. Because I said straight, you see, and that's part of the problem. :wink:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In actual fact, my argument failed because... I wasn't making an argument?

Of course, now that I've come out as woke, then one could argue that my argument that I wasn't making an argument fails, because I'm too woke. Which raises the question of whether I'm even woke enough, let alone too woke. There's a lot of things I could be doing to be more woke, but I'm old and tired and lazy and not doing a lot of what a truly woke person would do.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that calling me woke feels like a compliment. Thanks, DeSantis!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JP Morgan Chase reaches settlement with victims of Jeffrey Epstein’s abuse
JP Morgan Chase has announced a tentative settlement in a legal claim brought by a woman who said that the US banking giant profited from sexual abuse that she and others suffered at the hands of disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein.

“We all now understand that Epstein’s behavior was monstrous, and we believe this settlement is in the best interest of all parties, especially the survivors, who suffered unimaginable abuse at the hands of this man,” JP Morgan said in a statement. “Any association with him was a mistake and we regret it. We would never have continued to do business with him if we believed he was using our bank in any way to help commit heinous crimes.”

The proposed deal could begin to shut down weeks of embarrassing leaks about the extensive relationship that the bank had with Epstein, where the convicted sex offender was a client from 1998 to 2013 – seven years after he was first accused of soliciting a minor.

The lawsuit claims that officials at the bank ignored warning signs about Epstein’s abuse because he was a wealthy client who could introduce wealthy people to its private banking and investment arms.

JPMorgan did not disclose a financial amount related to Monday’s settlement, though a previous agreement in a similar lawsuit against Deutsche Bank was resolved for a reported $70m. According to reports, the number of Epstein victims attached to the JPMorgan action could rise to more than 100.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I was fully prepared to be outraged by this, but when I saw who she wants to stiff on reparations, my reaction shifted to a hard ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Elizabeth Holmes objects to government requesting she pay $250 a month to victims after prison
Elizabeth Holmes, the disgraced former Theranos CEO, has “limited financial means” and should not be forced to pay $250 a month to victims of her crimes after she is released from prison, her lawyers argued in a court filing on Monday.

The move from Holmes’ attorneys comes after federal prosecutors said in a separate filing last week that “clerical errors” had resulted in no payment schedule being set for Holmes’ restitution after she is released from prison. Holmes and former Theranos COO Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani were previously ordered to pay $452 million in restitution to victims of their crimes.

Holmes reported to prison late last month in Texas to serve out her more than 11-year sentence. She was convicted early last year on multiple charges of defrauding investors while running the failed blood-testing startup Theranos.

Federal prosecutors asked that once Holmes is on supervised released, criminal monetary penalties should be paid monthly in the amount of $250, or at least 10% of her wages, whichever is greater.

In the latest filing, Holmes’ attorneys argued “there is no basis in the record for the payment structure in the government’s request,” but did not object to her being asked to start paying $25 per quarter as part of her restitution while she is in prison.
As part of the original restitution order, some $125 million is owed to media mogul Rupert Murdoch, as well as millions in payments to other Theranos investors.
I mean, ripping off the likes of Rupert Murdoch seems like a victimless crime. :coffee: