Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kurth

Re: Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:52 pm
Kurth wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:49 pm [One of the biggest is navigation. I don't know if it's just me, but I have a really difficult time using the map and the mini-map together to get from one place to the next. I'll drop a stamp on the map and try to find my way to it, and often, the mini-map is so small that the stamp doesn't appear on it until I'm almost on top of it. Until then, I'm constantly opening the main map, checking where I am, closing the main map, moving on a bit, then doing it all over again.

I haven't watched the video above about quality of life improvements in TotK yet, but I'm hoping this is something they've addressed.
The bottom row of colored icons is more than a stamp, it gives you a beacon that shows the direction on the mini-map even when it is far, far away. That's what you want to be using. Pick a color and make that your next waypoint color. They are the same ones used when you hit A while in the binocular view. This is the way. TotK uses the exact same convention. You just need a kid to point you to the right tools!
Aha! I didn't realize I could select those instead of the stamps. I thought they were just for use in the binocular view. That will definitely help things.

Thanks!!!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:58 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:52 pm
Kurth wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:49 pm [One of the biggest is navigation. I don't know if it's just me, but I have a really difficult time using the map and the mini-map together to get from one place to the next. I'll drop a stamp on the map and try to find my way to it, and often, the mini-map is so small that the stamp doesn't appear on it until I'm almost on top of it. Until then, I'm constantly opening the main map, checking where I am, closing the main map, moving on a bit, then doing it all over again.

I haven't watched the video above about quality of life improvements in TotK yet, but I'm hoping this is something they've addressed.
The bottom row of colored icons is more than a stamp, it gives you a beacon that shows the direction on the mini-map even when it is far, far away. That's what you want to be using. Pick a color and make that your next waypoint color. They are the same ones used when you hit A while in the binocular view. This is the way. TotK uses the exact same convention. You just need a kid to point you to the right tools!
Aha! I didn't realize I could select those instead of the stamps. I thought they were just for use in the binocular view. That will definitely help things.

Thanks!!!
Those *are* the stamps. They just also show on the edge of the minimap, not only in the binoc view.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Still hooked on this one. ~55 hours in. 2 temples down, have started the third, but largely I'm just exploring. Collected my first memory last night--looking forward to finding the rest.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

90 hours and done. Well not really as I have a crapton of stuff I can still do. Thankfully the game saves right before the end. So after a break I'll dive back in and do more of the side content. Seriously there's A LOT I didn't do in 90 hours. It's FN nuts.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I've through three temples and took a detour to get the Master Sword. I'm dilly-dallying around the Fire Temple a bit, in no rush to finish.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As you know, joy con drift is a problem. In Dec of 2020 I replaced a joy con by buying a kit with all the tools and parts required to replace the physical stick. This was because the pandemic had brought everything to a halt, including Nintendo support. The replacement went without a hitch and the joy con has worked for the last 2+ years.

Well the problem has started up again, but I have no intention of replacing another stick. Also, I voided the warranty so I can't ask Nintendo to replace.

I tried the following video:

And so far the fix is holding. I don't have enough data to be confident it's fixed yet, but it appears to be.

I used printer paper card stock but that didn't work. So I glued two pieces together to double the thickness. So far it seems to have worked, and I haven't been able to replicate any drift.

I also recalibrated the joy con before (no change in drift behaviour) and after the fix.

Why is this in the Tears thread? I have no idea. Sorry.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I just finished this. It's a great game that really did improve on the original. I won't go into spoilers, but thinking about the combined stories, I hope the next game is in a new world. This Link and Zelda have suffered and sacrificed enough.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

In the beginning of the summer, I was excited to start playing TotK, but I wanted to go back and finish up BotW first. I traded in my old Switch, got a new OLED one, and got to work on BotW in June. 105 hours later, I still haven’t finished! This game took a while to grab me. My first attempt stalled out pretty early on when I got distracted by another game (don’t even remember what it was). This time around, I obviously stuck with it, and I’ve really enjoyed it. I probably could have finished up a while ago, but I keep finding something else to do.

But it’s time. Heading off to take on Calamity Gannon. Then, TotK.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I’m only a dozen or so hours in, but I’m finding that TotK is all it’s cracked up to be. What a fantastic game. Sky Island reminds me so much of the vibe I got playing The Talos Principle. And exploring the depths feels like Link has been transported to the Upside Down.

I’m loving these new environments.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TTP is an interesting call-out. And I don’t disagree.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It never really clicked with me, but both of the Wonder Twins 10.3 absolutely love TotK. One of them bought the huge strategy guide for it, and the two of them will sit and read it together between play sessions, planning out their strategies and what they're going to do next. It's fun to watch.

While I'm kinda bummed I just can't ever seem to enjoy these new Zelda games, I'm thrilled they're both having a blast with it. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Bottom Feeder has a nice piece discussing some of the good stuff in TotK. The things that make it work.

One of which is shitty, breaking weapons. Fight me.

The bad stuff will come in a future piece.