NCAA Football 2023

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

NCAA Football 2023

Post by Pyperkub »

Seems like it's time to get this thread going with less than 100 days to kickoff!

Of course, I'm going to start it off with bad news - the streaming enshittification of college football: (link may be paywalled, but here's the kicker:
— One of the Pac-12’s most significant non-conference games will be shown exclusively on a streaming platform: Washington’s trip to Michigan State on Sept. 16 is slotted for Peacock, the streaming platform owned by NBC.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
JCC

Re: NCAA Football 2023

Post by JCC »

I think Pac 12 fans are going to have to get used to a lot of their games being on streaming and only a few on the "traidtional" sports channels.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:13 am I think Pac 12 fans are going to have to get used to a lot of their games being on streaming and only a few on the "traidtional" sports channels.
It ain’t just the P12.

USC Football games on Peacock in the Big 10? That’s not acceptable.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Peacock is on our regular cable package, but yea, the PAC will be a mess this year.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

JCC wrote:I think Pac 12 fans are going to have to get used to a lot of their games being on streaming and only a few on the "traidtional" sports channels.
This is because of the B1G contract, not Pac12. Apparently, Michigan-Penn St is also slated to be peacock streaming only this year.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Michigan-Penn State will also be on NBC - it's not a Peacock exclusive.

East Carolina at Michigan will be a Peacock exclusive. Looks like I'll be skipping that game unless it's on some free version.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Looking more closely, it doesn't look like Michigan-Penn State is on NBC or Peacock at all. It's MSU vs. Penn State that is on those. Michigan's only NBC appearance at this point appears to be the epic tilt with East Carolina. Source

[edit]Michigan-Penn State will be on Fox.[/edit]
That's my purse! I don't know you!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The SEC is going to scrap divisions as well.

The tie breakers will have to be well thought out.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:44 am The SEC is going to scrap divisions as well.

The tie breakers will have to be well thought out.
Yep, thus I thought we'd get 9 game conference schedule in 2024 but they are not doing that until 2025.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Northwestern fires Pat Fizgerald :
Northwestern has fired coach Pat Fitzgerald days after details surfaced alleging graphic instances of hazing within the program, the school announced Monday night. Fitzgerald's departure comes three days after he was initially suspended without pay for two weeks. However, university administrators opted to revisit his status with the program after two former players provided details of the hazing, which was sexual in nature, to The Daily Northwestern student newspaper. Defensive coordinator David Braun is expected to step in as a liaison managing the team before an interim coach is named, according to multiple reports.

An executive summary provided by Northwestern recapped an independent investigation that concluded there was not sufficient evidence to believe the Northwestern coaching staff knew about the hazing. Fitzgerald, who has served as head coach of his alma mater for 17 seasons, claimed that he was "not aware of the alleged incidents." However, as further details came to light through the weekend, university president Michael Schill announced Sunday night that he would reassess the penalty.
Sounds like a pretty piss-poor "independent investigation". Kudos to the student reporters from the Daily Northwestern

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Harbaugh likely to be suspended four games for recruiting violations.
Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh is "expected" to be suspended for the first four games of the 2023 college football season as part of a negotiated resolution between the program and the NCAA, according to Yahoo Sports and multiple reports. Harbaugh is accused of providing false or misleading information to the NCAA during an investigation into alleged recruiting violations made in 2021 during an extended recruiting dead period stemming from COVID-19.

The NCAA alleges that Harbaugh lied to investigators during an initial meeting about the violations. Dishonesty to investigators is a separate Level I violation in the NCAA's rulebook. It appeared as if the parties were headed towards a resolution in the matter earlier this year; however, while those negotiations were ongoing, Harbaugh refused to sign a document admitting that he was dishonest during that first meeting.

The Wolverines coach has consistently maintained that he was not purposefully dishonest; rather, he claims he did not remember the events that led to the recruiting violations. Harbaugh's penalty will almost assuredly be harsher than what it would have been if the NCAA believed he cooperated from the onset as all four violations were of the Level II variety.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The P12 is a wholly remarkable shitshow right now. :lol:

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:49 pm The P12 is a wholly remarkable shitshow right now. :lol:

Is it possible the Pac12 got worse when they got rid of Larry Scott?

Why yes, it is.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The worst part is that Colorado announced this move literally within hours after receiving an update from P12 leadership about progress on the new medial deal. That's...not encouraging.

On the flip side, there's an argument to be made that replacing CU with, say, San Diego State would actually be an upgrade. CU's only success was the Coach Prime hire, and I'm still firmly in the camp who thinks that experiment is going to end in flames.

I worry that Utah is going to end up back in the Mtn West at the end of all this. The B1G hasn't shown any interest and the B12 already "has" the Utah market with BYU. For all Utah's success, it's a very real possibility that we are left without a chair when the music stops. :(
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Maybe Fresno State and San Diego State do have a chance of landing in the PAC.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:45 am The worst part is that Colorado announced this move literally within hours after receiving an update from P12 leadership about progress on the new medial deal. That's...not encouraging.

On the flip side, there's an argument to be made that replacing CU with, say, San Diego State would actually be an upgrade. CU's only success was the Coach Prime hire, and I'm still firmly in the camp who thinks that experiment is going to end in flames.

I worry that Utah is going to end up back in the Mtn West at the end of all this. The B1G hasn't shown any interest and the B12 already "has" the Utah market with BYU. For all Utah's success, it's a very real possibility that we are left without a chair when the music stops. :(
TBH, this may be that it's only CU who is really unhappy with the update - this article is interesting:
In his main address Friday, Kliavkoff confirmed that a grant-of-rights between the 10 current members has been negotiated and will be announced alongside a TV deal, whenever one is finalized (the expectation is an uneven revenue distribution similar to the ACC’s new model).
In particular both that the Grant of Rights appears finalized - so anyone who may not like it HAD to bolt now, but also the 'expectation' of unequal revenue splits - which would be an incentive to a bottom feeder with little chance at the Pac9/10/whatever Guaranteed CFP Berth to take the guaranteed money from the big 12 offer. And yes, while CU has had some good teams, they have not been positioned for long term success like Utah/Oregon/UW for a long time.

And, Note that from a parent article
According to the Big 12’s new TV contract, Power Five expansion additions receive a full pro-rata share of the distribution, which is expected to start around $31 million annually per school.

Arizona is long-rumored to be another target, but communication between the Wildcats and the Big 12 has waned of late. Before making any decision, the school plans to wait for Kliavkoff to present a television deal, a source told Yahoo Sports.
Utah and others have undoubtedly had discussions, **especially ** Arizona/ASU, but Colorado has apparently been the only one who didn't cool on those discussions.

One does wonder if BYU could be the reason Utah didn't get a "unanimous" invite like Colorado did this week tho. You probably have a better idea of how far up the administrative chains of BYU/Utah the Holy War extends ;)

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:07 pm
According to the Big 12’s new TV contract, Power Five expansion additions receive a full pro-rata share of the distribution, which is expected to start around $31 million annually per school.

Arizona is long-rumored to be another target, but communication between the Wildcats and the Big 12 has waned of late. Before making any decision, the school plans to wait for Kliavkoff to present a television deal, a source told Yahoo Sports.
Utah and others have undoubtedly had discussions, **especially ** Arizona/ASU, but Colorado has apparently been the only one who didn't cool on those discussions.

One does wonder if BYU could be the reason Utah didn't get a "unanimous" invite like Colorado did this week tho. You probably have a better idea of how far up the administrative chains of BYU/Utah the Holy War extends ;)
I don't think there would have been any administrative roadblocks there. Despite the fan animosity (which has cooled significantly over the years) the administrations from both schools have always seemed to get along just fine. I think it has much more to do with the fact that the B12 figures they already have the Utah market by adding BYU and have much higher priority targets in places they don't already have a footprint (i.e. Arizona).

I also can't help but wonder how much ESPN is enjoying Yorkmark waving around his seemingly blank check to prospective additions while they're in the midst of very public cutbacks and layoffs.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:27 pm Maybe Fresno State and San Diego State do have a chance of landing in the PAC.
Maybe (and I think it is the smart move to lock down the remaining schools with massive Southern California connections).

But Kliavkoff **completely** botched the SDSU deal by enabling the failure to add SDSU before July 1st, which was apparently done enough that SDSU tried to exit, and then went back to the Mtn West and will cost an additional $17m to get their TV rights back for a move...

Admittedly, it is likely that it is one of the remaining conference schools which fouled it up (with ESPN's assistance?), but it was Kliavkoff's responsibility to ensure that didn't happen.

Heck, it may even have been ESPN, again!!!, screwing over West Coast football here like they killed the Pac16. It is entirely possible that they didn't want to pony up, ended up out of the negotiations like the B1G, but were able to muck everything up enough to get CU to both torpedo the 7/1 SDSU move and then make this move.

This is all my conjecture, but note that this story was broken by ESPN, and they rarely do actual investigative journalism, and mostly get their "breaking news" as leaks/PR nowadays.

(edit - simulpost! - yeah, this smacks of ESPN influence more then BYU per above).

JCC

Post by JCC »

The Pac 12 is in serious trouble. SD St, is not an option in the short term. The Big 12 made a brilliant chess move in opening TV negotiations early and removing ESPN real estate availability from the Pac 12. I really don't think the Big 12 should keep expanding, (though they will now obviously add another team to go with Colorado) and I think they may regret some of their earlier expansion choices from the American conference. But, their long term future is much more solid than the Pac 12's right now. Oregon and Washington have got to be beyond frustrated at their current conference and the seemingly total indifference of the Big 10 towards them.
Black Lives Matter

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Per Wilner, today's the day

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/08/01/ ... -proposal/

"Commissioner George Kliavkoff on Tuesday is expected to present a media rights proposal to the nine remaining university presidents for approval,"

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Absolutely no idea what happens next.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:

Absolutely no idea what happens next.
I think it depends on the other pieces, specifically, unequal revenue sharing and how any new additions might get treated.

I think Oregon/UW//Utah will be very happy.

I also think Oregon St/Wassu/Cal/Stanford are generally satisfied, but may have issues with how potential new schools SDSU/SMU/ Other? Might step on their revenues.

Arizona and ASU are the big question marks to me. They have been pretty bad at football for awhile, and may well prefer the guaranteed equal revenue sharing from the Big12 on linear (for now) tv to possibly needing to be good to get more revenue.

Last edited by Pyperkub on Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

But this is hilarious!

JCC

Post by JCC »

This is very bad for the Pac 12. Their ratings will tank.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

Excellent article on the precarious situation for the Pac 12.
ESPN, Fox, NBC and CBS had all recently struck partnerships with other conferences, including the SEC (ESPN), the Big Ten (Fox, NBC and CBS) and the Big 12 (ESPN and Fox).

“The market turned against George,” says one former athletic administrator who remains in the college space. “If you can get 80% of what you ask, you usually take it. You don’t hope for 110%.”
In the most recent sign of desperate times, Pac-12 leaders last month approached NBC for at least the third time in the last year, this time with a significantly low offer.

The network passed.

“We were looking for a savior but no one seemed to want to step up,” says one Pac-12 insider.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

Big 10 having preliminary discussions on whether it wants to add 2 teams (Oregon and Washington) or 4 teams (plus Cal and Stanford).
The Big Ten has begun exploratory discussions about expanding membership to 18 or even 20 teams, industry sources have told Yahoo Sports. The schools being considered are Oregon and Washington if the league adds two schools, and Cal and Stanford if it wants to move to 20. All four institutions are currently members of the Pac-12.
The CFB premier league seems more and more inevitable. It's going to be wild to see how many "power 5" teams are left out in the cold. It's mystifying to imagine some of the teams that could be left out while the likes of Northwestern and Vanderbuilt will apparently be left invited to the party.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JCC wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:23 pm The Big 12 is courting Arizona
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Went to bed last night expecting the P12 to be dead, there to be three new B12 schools (Utah, Arizona, ASU), and two new B10 schools (Oregon, Washington) sometime this weekend. And yet...

One last "Pac12 After Dark" crazy ending, maybe? I give up trying to figure out what the fuck is going on. The best summary I've found is probably this.
Conference realignment is the most American thing I can think of. Whittling away at all of the quirky, unique things that make something special and popular so that every last dollar can be squeezed out of a homogenized, board room-approved product to keep a bunch of stiff, corporate suits happy when revenue projections are shown.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Definitely crazy times right now.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh wait…just kidding. OR & WA are bailing.

What a colossal shitshow this all is.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I am even happier than ever that you got to see one of the last classic Rose Bowls.

I'm saddened that if UCLA doesn't make it this year, I'll never get to take Mrs. Kub to experience it as it is meant to be done - Big 10 v Pac 10+, on New Year's Day, at 2:30 in the afternoon PST, with all the pageantry and beauty on full display.

I did get to to in person and see UCLA win it my freshman year v. Iowa in '86, and appear again in '94 v. Wisconsin.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:16 pm I am even happier than ever that you got to see one of the last classic Rose Bowls.

I'm saddened that if UCLA doesn't make it this year, I'll never get to take Mrs. Kub to experience it as it is meant to be done - Big 10 v Pac 10+, on New Year's Day, at 2:30 in the afternoon PST, with all the pageantry and beauty on full display.

I did get to to in person and see UCLA win it my freshman year v. Iowa in '86, and appear again in '94 v. Wisconsin.
However, the CFP contract ends 2025. As what we are seeing is the enshittification of College Football, I fully expect the B1G/SEC to create their own playoff to extract monopoly revenue, with maybe a wild card invite to throw at a Big 12/ACC Champ if they so choose.

Which could make the Rose Bowl a permanent semifinal on its traditional day/time.

good news is that the NCAA owns the tourney, so that should be safe for now.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

:binky:
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:16 pm I am even happier than ever that you got to see one of the last classic Rose Bowls.
Yeah, extremely grateful for that. Although it was an absolute nightmare to get there and we didn’t end up on the winning end of the game, that was still one of the best college football experiences I’ve ever had.

Looks like Utah’s headed to the B12. P12 was lots of fun while it lasted. :(

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:09 pm :binky:
Yeah, extremely grateful for that. Although it was an absolute nightmare to get there and we didn’t end up on the winning end of the game, that was still one of the best college football experiences I’ve ever had.

Looks like Utah’s headed to the B12. P12 was lots of fun while it lasted. :(

The rivalry with Colorado and ASU lives on! Bonus points for getting the Holy War annually we hope.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:17 pm Bonus points for getting the Holy War annually we hope.
Man, BYU fans are pissed. We apparently come in at a full share and they had to take a smaller share for the first couple years. 😂

I have to admit that Utah, BYU, and TCU had some pretty epic battles back in the MWC days. Time to renew that chaos, I suppose.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Wow, I spent the day away from checking on this shit for about 12 hours and all hell breaks loose. Farewell Pac 12.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:30 amFarewell Pac 12.
It is amazing to me how a conference with 100+ years of history can simply evaporate overnight. I know one thing, this final P12 year is going to be a serious dogfight.

I'm relieved Utah ended up with a seat at the table (can't imagine how much it would suck to be an Oregon State or Wazzu fan right now) but every single part of this is simply terrible for the sport.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:49 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:17 pm Bonus points for getting the Holy War annually we hope.
Man, BYU fans are pissed. We apparently come in at a full share and they had to take a smaller share for the first couple years. 😂

I have to admit that Utah, BYU, and TCU had some pretty epic battles back in the MWC days. Time to renew that chaos, I suppose.
I can't wait to renew that rivalry with Utah! BYU I could take or leave, but I always feared playing y'all because of the intense games you always gave us!

Welcome to the Big...um...XVI, I guess?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins