Software for recording game audio only?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Software for recording game audio only?

Post by Blackhawk »

Does anyone know of a simple utility for recording game audio? I'm not looking to record video, just the audio in a nice, clean (preferably multi-channel) format. Audacity won't work (for whatever reason, it won't accept the output to my headset as an input.)

I'd normally ask this on the software subreddit where hundreds of people could see it, but it's closed.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Software for recording game audio only?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Deoends what you mean by simple, but OBS Studio will do that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:46 pm Deoends what you mean by simple, but OBS Studio will do that.
Audio only? I was under the impression that it only did video.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:51 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:46 pm Deoends what you mean by simple, but OBS Studio will do that.
Audio only? I was under the impression that it only did video.
You can save to MP4 and use a 3rd party extraction tool to pull the audio as MP3 or wav or whatever.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, and I have in the past (I already run Shadowplay to record video), but it gets cumbersome to have to sit there and process each and every file, which usually results in me getting a big pile of video files that need processed. It's not a priority or immediate project, so it tends to discourage me from messing with it. That's why I've been looking for something that will just record the audio. I mean, simple audio recorders aren't exactly new tech, it's just that they seem to have trouble recording from games while you are listening to them without weird workarounds (like taking a male-male audio cable and connecting your speaker output jack to the audio input jack, which then prevents you from hearing the audio yourself.)

I don't need to control it from in game (although that would be awesome), but just being able to alt-tab, hit record, go back in, alt-tab, hit stop and save the file would be great.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:36 pmAudacity won't work (for whatever reason, it won't accept the output to my headset as an input.)
did you try settting it to loopback/[insert OS here] audio? that's what i normally do. (my main use case is recording streaming audio from music websites)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:21 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:36 pmAudacity won't work (for whatever reason, it won't accept the output to my headset as an input.)
did you try settting it to loopback/[insert OS here] audio? that's what i normally do. (my main use case is recording streaming audio from music websites)
Yeah, but apparently it's having issues with the USB-to-RF connection of my Logitech G Pro headset.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:28 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:21 pm
Yeah, but apparently it's having issues with the USB-to-RF connection of my Logitech G Pro headset.
some possible troubleshooting steps here if you haven't tried already:

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/record ... r/38322/13
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Have you tried WavePad?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:11 pm some possible troubleshooting steps here if you haven't tried already:

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/record ... r/38322/13
I tried a bunch of different troubleshooting options. That particular thread isn't a match to my issue, though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:13 pm Have you tried WavePad?
Going to give it a whirl.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If NVIDIA, GeForce Experience. I know it records everything, but you can always extract the audio separately. Just set the video to very low bitrate.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:29 pm If NVIDIA, GeForce Experience. I know it records everything, but you can always extract the audio separately. Just set the video to very low bitrate.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:46 pm Yeah, and I have in the past (I already run Shadowplay to record video), but it gets cumbersome to have to sit there and process each and every file, which usually results in me getting a big pile of video files that need processed.
Shadowplay is GeForce Experience.

The hassle of extraction is what I'm trying to eliminate from the process.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Try virtual audio cable?

https://vb-audio.com/Cable/

You can probably mess with your recording software to make it work, patching the output back a new input source. Then have your recorder take input from that new source.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds