Any interest in board games?

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Punisher

Any interest in board games?

Post by Punisher »

We are planning a BIG cleanup this year of the stars align. We have a TON of totes in the house, many with various kickstarter games.
We are also going to take a good look at our game room shelves and see what we realistically can get to the table and what was an impulse buy for me and clean house.
Any interest here for things? Most will probably be unopened and quite a few all ins.
Marvel united all ins up to but not including the last xmen bundle is one I'm pretty sure i have and may want to get rid of. Maybe.
I'd need to at minimum get my money back on most. No trades because we need the room and the money.
So, depending on the list obviously, is there any interest in something like this or am I better off going to ebay?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Lordnine

Re: Any interest in board games?

Post by Lordnine »

I don't have a ton of wants but I would take a look. Maybe we could do a general Boardgame trade thread, I have a bunch I would love to get rid of myself.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm unclear. Are you looking to sell out of print board games? That's the only way you're likely to near retail price on used games. On those you might be able to get more or much more depending. Shipping prices were much higher than I remembered from the before times. Still, I'll take a look if you want to put together a list.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hrothgar wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:44 pm I'm unclear. Are you looking to sell out of print board games? That's the only way you're likely to near retail price on used games.
Some of them. I see some Kickstarter-exclusive games that sold for hundreds being sold for 1/2 or 1/3 of their original price.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:48 pm
Hrothgar wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:44 pm I'm unclear. Are you looking to sell out of print board games? That's the only way you're likely to near retail price on used games.
Some of them. I see some Kickstarter-exclusive games that sold for hundreds being sold for 1/2 or 1/3 of their original price.
Interesting. I haven't looked into KS pricing since well before my medical adventure. Most of them were getting cost at minimum.
I guess once I go over everything and decide what I'm willing to get rid of we can see.
I know that I never planned on selling anything when I bought them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think it's like most collectibles. Games still at retail will net you less than retail (otherwise people would just buy them retail.) Out of print and/or exclusive titles will net you anywhere from pennies on the dollar to dollars on the penny depending entirely on the game in question. And, as always, the prices shown aren't always sale prices, they're asking prices. You may get those prices if you're wanting to have them on offer for months or longer, but if you actually want them to move, you'll get less.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I would recommend taking a look here to see the types of prices people get on various games. https://www.reddit.com/r/BoardGameExchange/

All-in bundles tend to go for considerably higher but in general, expect to take at least a 20% hit on what you are selling unless it is rare and/or in high demand.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have been surprised by how much games sell for at GenCon auction. Or the local game store auction.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Once I get my list I'll post it for discussion and reality.
I'm not even sure how many will be up for grabs since as I mentioned I never intended to sell any of them.
Even games that were more complicated I expected to learn it enough to teach other people. Now, not so much.
I'm probably gonna weed out any complicated ones first then go by games that I don't think I can convince family to play.
I can't easily get around right now and honestly don't have any ount of friends. Literally maybe 1 or 2 local ones. I had a good work friend but he moved.
I have PLENTY of time on my hands now but nobody to play with. I've even mentioned it to my tenant about being able to wstch her kid if needed just to try to get some game time in. (They are actually long time family friends so it's not too weird. We've already been taking her to Comic Con for about 4 years now)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So much depends on what you're willing to tolerate. I wouldn't be worried about anyone here, but if you decided to eBay or FaceBook marketplace things, I'd be more nervous you'd get scammed (or a scam would be attempted). Shipping things is always going to be a killer as well, and so the problem there is that if you have a rare or pristine board game, you're going to need to price it knowing that it might be another $50 to ship it. Is that price cheaper than a copy on Amazon or if it's available for local retail pickup? Some of the board games are insanely bulky and heavy.

Depending on the size, I'll always recommend Noble Knight. They'll quote you a price that includes shipping labels so all you need to do is pack them up carefully and drop them off at FedEx. You're not going to recover your expenditures, but you're also not going to run the risk of having someone claim you sold them a game with missing parts or that was in lower quality condition than you claimed or whatever. I also like that I can send them a list of items and they just give me a price for everything all at once - one stop shopping (or selling).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

That's interesting.
Assuming I can remember that when the time comes that might be worth it assuming nobody here or someone I know doesn't want them.
One shot and everything is sold seems good.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They are also a really good option if you're looking to "trade up" as they'll give you quite a bit more in store credit than a cash payout. Not sure if you''re looking to completely unload or if you have your eye on something else in that hobby space, but I'd mention that as well.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Check local game stores. There is a Chicago area store in Mt. Prospect (Games Plus) that has a nice auction for store credit. They’ll buy rare stuff to sell at GenCon, and it’s well attended.

I was even able to sell single unopened boosters for some random TCGs I ended up with over the years. Old FFG stuff went at fair prices. The only downside was being quickly outbid for every lot of D&D collectible minis.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:42 pm Check local game stores. There is a Chicago area store in Mt. Prospect (Games Plus) that has a nice auction for store credit. They’ll buy rare stuff to sell at GenCon, and it’s well attended.

I was even able to sell single unopened boosters for some random TCGs I ended up with over the years. Old FFG stuff went at fair prices. The only downside was being quickly outbid for every lot of D&D collectible minis.
I think there is only one "local" store to me that's about 1/2 hour away and I'm not sure if they buy stuff and have never seen them offer an auction. If I had one a lot closer I might be able to go myself and play more.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Punisher wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:21 am We are planning a BIG cleanup this year of the stars align. We have a TON of totes in the house, many with various kickstarter games.
We are also going to take a good look at our game room shelves and see what we realistically can get to the table and what was an impulse buy for me and clean house.
Any interest here for things? Most will probably be unopened and quite a few all ins.
Marvel united all ins up to but not including the last xmen bundle is one I'm pretty sure i have and may want to get rid of. Maybe.
I'd need to at minimum get my money back on most. No trades because we need the room and the money.
So, depending on the list obviously, is there any interest in something like this or am I better off going to ebay?
Do you have a list of games?
words
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Not yet. This was just to guage interest.
I have about 100 or more totes filled with stuff. Games, decorations, etc.
Plus multiple unopened kickstarter boxes.
Plus a game room filled with stuff.
During cleanup I will make a list of things I'm looking to part with omcluding some from the game room.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:58 pm
Depending on the size, I'll always recommend Noble Knight. They'll quote you a price that includes shipping labels so all you need to do is pack them up carefully and drop them off at FedEx.
Great find, thanks! I have a few I'd like to liquidate as well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They work best when you have magic number of games to trade/sell. I don't know what that is but it's part of their formula to account for their shipping costs. That said, they might make exceptions if you have really rare items, but generally speaking I've sent them large lots. I've also been using them for years and have never experienced a single problem. Once you accept that your games aren't worth what you think, it's fine - think of it like dealing with the American Pickers. ;)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've not sold to them, but I've shopped at Noble Knight for many, many years without issue. They're the go-to for out-of-print tabletop materials (they're a great source for older RPG books/accessories.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:23 pm They're the go-to for out-of-print tabletop materials (they're a great source for older RPG books/accessories.)
On a whim I decided to see what they had in stock (which is safe, as I'm not in the market for anything right now, thank god.) Any Shadowrun fans? How about a $35,000 Shadowrun Logo. Specifically, the original artist's piece from which the printed logos were all taken. Or one of the rarest D&D items - one of the original 300 copies of Ghost Tower of Inverness, handed out loose-leaf for a convention tournament a year before the retail release.

Or, more affordable, a selection of pre-enshittifcation Games Workshop/Warhammer miniatures. Or some original edition Star Fleet Battles? Or maybe some of the recently-discussed Car Wars (this is the version I still have lying around... somewhere.) Or some Squad Leader if you're feeling masochistic?

It's just a great store overall, especially if you like older products. I think the last thing I bought from them was a smattering of older Torg products to use with Torg Eternity.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Not gonna look right now because not being in the market hasn't stopped me before.
Although I did peek at the Car Wars item but I already have it.
Might go look for some of their other old stuff once I inventory my stuff. Unless I am about to be homeless or something the Car Wars stuff is staying with me.