What is "Trumpism"?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Apollo

Re: What is "Trumpism"?

Post by Apollo »

I'm starting to wonder if Tuberville's hold on promotions is a way to enable Trump to appoint a large number of senior officers in the US military if he were to take power in '24.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I don't think that's how it works.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

...and yet I read yesterday (I need to find it) that there's an insane number of open appointments because they can't get people confirmed - numerous ambassadors and other positions that require the Senate to simply hold a vote.

It's beyond enraging that they can do it. I get that they don't want to be on the record but the idea that it's acceptable procedure to just not even convene for a vote? They should be beaten with reeds.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I read yesterday that Rand Paul is blocking >60 ambassador appointments because the administration won’t give him evidence about the China virus.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:41 am I don't think that's how it works.
Yes, I realize that the President doesn't get to pick and choose who becomes a senior officer, but I feel that he could definitely monkey with the process, having his allies in the Senate block those who might be considered "unloyal" (liberal) while promoting those with right-wing ties. There's nothing I wouldn't put past Trump and his GOP allies at this point. And picking the fight over abortion rights makes it very difficult for the current Administration to find a compromise when that is the #1 issue the Democrats will be running on in 2024.