Moms for Liberty

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Moms for Liberty

Post by Smoove_B »

They've been mentioned in a few other threads, but it seems like they're more and more likely to be a "thing" as we head into 2024, so I'm creating a dedicated thread.

Here is the first big article I've seen on them and what's happening:
I’ve been following Moms for Liberty for over two years, and it’s now the fastest-growing self-described “parental rights” organization in the United States, hiding behind the innocuous descriptor to covertly push a far-right agenda. Its meteoric rise has coincided with an alarming increase in harassment and threats directed at teachers, administrators, and school officials across the country — so much so that the Southern Poverty Law Center designated Moms for Liberty as an extremist group this year.
Going after local school districts:
Amid all of the conspiracy theories and fearmongering, there were select breakout sessions that offered actual strategies to “fight” the evils attendees had learned about.

Education consultant Jordan Adams’ presentation was focused on successfully flipped school boards, and it included detailed instructions about how to get newly elected board majorities to bulldoze through Moms for Liberty policy priorities.

Adams presented audience members with a how-to guide on destabilizing school districts within the first 100 days of taking office, including a worksheet that he encouraged participants to fill out listing a timeline of tangible steps meant to overwhelm the opposition (the image includes my notes for his suggested actions based on the presentation). The reverse side of the handout encouraged attendees to familiarize themselves with and counter common talking points from adversaries.
And:
Some of the first steps include putting school administrators “on notice that they need to cooperate with all of this” and advertising “the values” the new board is implementing when posting job ads for new teachers.

The second month is defined by policies: “Start introducing policies on CRT [critical race theory], eliminating DEI [diversity, equity, and inclusion] offices, reviewing contracts and initiatives, eliminate student surveys.” He also suggested putting a “moratorium on new technology.”
With every accusation....
The message of the session was “follow the money.” Aside from some absurd conspiracy theories about the Centers for Disease Control trying to install puberty blockers “without the barrier of parental permissions” and Gorka’s claim that there’s dark money behind critical race theory, sex education, drag queen story hour, and transgenderism, the session loosely taught the audience how to determine who is really behind different educational organizations.

To determine influence, the speakers instructed audience members to look at who sponsors conferences and what foundations are giving them money in order to exert control. The examples they used were about teachers unions, but they could have also pointed to the summit’s sponsors.

Applying the same logic I learned in the “dark money” session to Moms for Liberty would suggest that the group’s chapters are shills for organizations like The Heritage Foundation and The Leadership Institute, a decades-old nonprofit that trains young conservative activists and policy leaders to sell right-wing ideals.

Both Heritage and Leadership sponsored the summit at the highest tier possible. Both have regularly partnered with and given resources to Moms for Liberty since the group’s infancy. And co-founder Ziegler is now running the Leadership Institute’s School Board Leaders Program.

And there’s more. Breakout session speaker “Billboard Chris” Elston, a Canadian anti-trans activist, revealed that the Heritage Foundation identified and brought together 40 people, including him, in March 2022 to “fight gender ideology” — indicating that the think tank is helping to organize this coalition.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Re: Moms for Liberty

Post by Smoove_B »

Of course, I probably should have started with why I'm making this a dedicated post - it's because of the national attention surrounding a recent chapter newsletter:
An Indiana chapter of Moms for Liberty, a nonprofit that advocates for “ parental rights ” in education and was recently labeled as “extremist” by an anti-hate watchdog, is apologizing and condemning Adolf Hitler after using a quote attributed to the Nazi leader in its inaugural newsletter.

The group’s Hamilton County chapter on Thursday posted a revised version of its newly launched newsletter, “The Parent Brigade,” on Facebook after it had previously shared a version that featured the Hitler quote on its front cover.

The first version of the newsletter included the quote, “He alone, who OWNS the youth, GAINS the future,” and cited Hitler. While the origin of the quote is not entirely clear, it has been attributed in numerous historical texts to a 1935 rally speech by the Nazi leader.

Late Wednesday, after The Indianapolis Star reported on the quote, the local Moms for Liberty chapter updated the newsletter to add a “context” section.

“The quote from a horrific leader should put parents on alert,” the updated version read. “If the government has control over our children today, they control our country’s future. We The People must be vigilant and protect children from an overreaching government.”

By Thursday morning, the chapter had removed those versions and posted its new copy of the newsletter, replacing the Hitler quote with the chair’s apology.
And yet, at the convention in Philadelphia...

This is what Christofascism looks like: Audience cheers after "Moms for Liberty" co-founder Tiffany Justice noted that a member had quoted Hitler in a newsletter. "I stand with that mom," she bragged to applause.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My general assumption is that if anything post-2008 includes the words "liberty", "freedom" or "patriot", it's an extremist group (or plan, or bill, or pickup truck, or whatever.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

I agree and assume there is an overwhelming likelihood those right-wing extremist groups are funded by wealthy oligarchs who are partnering with them to protect their rents. Mostly because the demands of the christofascists really only impact the little people anyway.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:42 pm My general assumption is that if anything post-2008 includes the words "liberty", "freedom" or "patriot", it's an extremist group (or plan, or bill, or pickup truck, or whatever.)
I don't think extremest but I think MAGA enough that I want nothing to do with them. They have definitely co-opted those terms and the flag. And beyond the flag, if they do something to the flag, I think extremest. Shades of black, Blue line, backwards, and I can't remember what else.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heather Cox Richardson has a good writeup on them today

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/july-7-2023

( substack, but free to read).

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:22 pm Heather Cox Richardson has a good writeup on them today

I appreciate HCR's usually positive take on the news of any given day. It's a welcome counterpoint to malchiorism. :wink:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:37 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:22 pm Heather Cox Richardson has a good writeup on them today

I appreciate HCR's usually positive take on the news of any given day. It's a welcome counterpoint to malchiorism. :wink:
She is a good voice to pay attention to even if she deals out some hopium. I also get how that is definitely more appealing than straight forward analysis of the grim situation we find ourselves in. FWIW there is an issue in the newsletter. It's a semi-minor nit but she is exaggerating some of Biden's accomplishments, to wit,
In the past two years, according to a recent working paper by economists David Autor, Arindrajit Dube, and Annie McGrew, Biden’s policies have wiped out a quarter of the inequality built in the previous forty.
This is inaccurate. I talked about this in some detail in the other thread but this isn't what the paper said. 25% of a 40-year theoretical wage gap between productivity gains and income shrank over the last few year. It's deep technical stuff being described incorrectly. I think she is repeating what she has heard elsewhere but the paper didn't say we have wiped out 25% of inequality over the last 2 years. If you don't believe me then just go read it. You can skip the middle where they describe the math in the model and see that they don't say anything in the abstract or conclusion that says what she claims. That is the same inaccurate point that the WSJ op ed that Kurth posted was talking about.

There is no linkage to any Biden policy described in the paper. The conclusion notes that the data is preliminary and limited. I've quoted it below but it is in "economic-speak" and maybe tough to grok. In any case, it isn't even necessarily real. We probably need a few years of data to get good confidence. I hope it's real because it would be helpful. Even if it were real it only means over the last 2 years capital has retained 75% of the productivity gap for the last 40-years. It's progress but it still means we're still becoming *more inequal just a bit slower*. In other words, she is overselling the result. Again much like the WSJ used it erroneously in its silly "richcession" arguments.

Anyway, I get why people want to feel better but feeling better doesn't actually make us better. We need to deal in reality. And the reality is that we have significant problems that need action instead of hope. We can't address them if we are indulging in fantasy - which she is somewhat peddling there.
This evidence has several limitations. One is that the relatively small size of the monthly CPS sample provides, at most, adequate precision for testing some of the key empirical implications of the imperfectly competitive model. Additionally, the infeasibility of accurately tracking workers’ job changes over the course of a year requires us to focus on industry change rather than job change as a measure of worker mobility, though job change is the object of interest underscored by theory. Third, and most critically, our evidence on the rise of the quit elasticity relies on using either own-wage residuals or estimated industry premia to proxy for rents—that is, the wage premia (or deficits) that workers receive, relative to their competitive wage level.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Talking in general beyond the technical point I made above I think she makes some good points but she might be over rotating on some elements. She might give Biden a lot of credit for the economic situation but so far Americans at large do not. Biden is still deeply unpopular. He gets fairly bad marks on the economy. Hopefully that'll improve in the next ~16 months but a lot is riding on that. To Biden's credit he is at least out there trying to sell "Bidenomics" and maybe it'll stick but we have to be realistic and assess that it is an uphill slog.

Also, her analysis relies on Americans seeing through the radicalism of their message. That may very well happen with viral videos of them defending people quoting Hitler. A little 'Hitler was right!' messaging hopefully turns off voters but it's no fait accompli. She might be right but we need more evidence before taking a breath here IMO.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

HCR is a historian, and I appreciate the historical context that she brings to our daily news. She isn't without her grim side, as evidenced by her repeated comparisons to the pro-slavery (then-Democratic) machinations leading up to the Civil War, and again in reconstruction. White supremacists are up to the same old tricks to cement minority rule. But she presents good news along with bad, and Biden has bent the curve in the right direction over the past two years.
In the past two years, according to a recent working paper by economists David Autor, Arindrajit Dube, and Annie McGrew, Biden’s policies have wiped out a quarter of the inequality built in the previous forty. And at the same time that Biden’s resurrection of the liberal consensus of the years from 1933 to 1980 is illustrating that the economic problems in the country were the fault of Republican policies rather than of marginalized people, the extremism of those angry Republican footsoldiers is revealing that they are not the centrist Americans they have claimed to be.
You take issue with the first sentence. Fine; HCR isn't an economist and neither am I. But the second sentence is what Democrats need to hammer home, and the omnipresent sources of disinformation and just plain noise make that extremely difficult.

Anyway, back on topic, her take on Moms for Liberty is pretty great.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hitler’s Housewives
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote:

Talking in general beyond the technical point I made above I think she makes some good points but she might be over rotating on some elements. She might give Biden a lot of credit for the economic situation but so far Americans at large do not. Biden is still deeply unpopular. He gets fairly bad marks on the economy. Hopefully that'll improve in the next ~16 months but a lot is riding on that. To Biden's credit he is at least out there trying to sell "Bidenomics" and maybe it'll stick but we have to be realistic and assess that it is an uphill slog.

Also, her analysis relies on Americans seeing through the radicalism of their message. That may very well happen with viral videos of them defending people quoting Hitler. A little 'Hitler was right!' messaging hopefully turns off voters but it's no fait accompli. She might be right but we need more evidence before taking a breath here IMO.
As to the economy, I do think he's done about as well as could be expected, and actually better, imho.. We could easily be in a recession and inflationary spiral ( and yes, his policy, especially the additional covid relief contributed, especially to inflation), but we really aren't, at least, not as bad as it could have been.

As to klanned karenhood? She's more optimistic than I. They have a very receptive audience who have been primed for this nonsense for decades, and enough money behind them that they are punching far above their weight.

On the other hand, all of these groups which pop up on the right like this seem to die from the inside as the corruption and greed spreads. I don't see anything with this group to indicate they will be different.

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:56 pm
malchior wrote:

As to the economy, I do think he's done about as well as could be expected, and actually better, imho.. We could easily be in a recession and inflationary spiral ( and yes, his policy, especially the additional covid relief contributed, especially to inflation), but we really aren't, at least, not as bad as it could have been.
Sure. It's also possible that like many President's what he is doing isn't doing much to impact the economy at all. But I'm not even bothering to even think through that because that isn't the point. His problem is that the public just doesn't feel it for whatever reason. Call it a vibe-cession but Biden hasn't been able to capture credit for economic performance. That's a huge problem for the future of the nation potentially.
As to klanned karenhood? She's more optimistic than I. They have a very receptive audience who have been primed for this nonsense for decades, and enough money behind them that they are punching far above their weight.

On the other hand, all of these groups which pop up on the right like this seem to die from the inside as the corruption and greed spreads. I don't see anything with this group to indicate they will be different.
It's also too early. They're pretty much in the workshopping stage. Can they find a message that keeps MAGA but not so extreme that it pushes suburban women away? I agree with HCR that it seems unlikely but if they do it's real trouble if Biden is still polling anywhere near where he is now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:56 pm As to klanned karenhood?
:lol:

Back to Biden's economy, I also think Biden has done better with the economy than I would have hoped for. He's not responsible for inflation. Powell wasn't his pick and Powell's done better than I thought after some early bungling anyway. Biden's been playing with a hostile Congress and the friendly part are disparate. Beyond that, he's actually trying to work on infrastructure. Something paid lip service to for as long as I can remember. It comes at a lousy time when unemployement is already so low, contributing to Powell's late to the party antagonism toward inflation, but it still needs to be done.

I don't have great love for Biden. He pats himself on the back for his greatness like crazy for the accomplishment for not being horrible. I didn't want him, but he's done well enough to not bat an eyelash at voting for him, all things consider. I don't feel like he's holding my vote hostage against a worse evil. There are better choices in the field (there a few senators I really like) and a lot competitive ones (also senators) but Biden isn't grossly incompetent or corrupt.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:27 pmThis is the same inaccurate point that the WSJ op ed that Kurth posted was talking about.
Just for the record, I posted that WSJ op ed not because I thought it was correct or solid analysis but because I thought it seemed suspect and was looking at it with a highly skeptical eye.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:37 am
malchior wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:27 pmThis is the same inaccurate point that the WSJ op ed that Kurth posted was talking about.
Just for the record, I posted that WSJ op ed not because I thought it was correct or solid analysis but because I thought it seemed suspect and was looking at it with a highly skeptical eye.
Yep - I am just referencing the other post because it was the second time it appeared. I suspect we'll be hearing this "factoid" for some time. It seems to be one of those things that lives a life beyond the actual truth of it.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Moms for Liberty, a subsidiary of Billionaire Nazis für die Freiheit.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Church community in Pennsylvania treats Moms For Bigotry like the christofascist trolls they are.