Urban Decay

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kurth

Urban Decay

Post by Kurth »

I know we’ve covered the topic of urban decay in other threads, but those are kind of random and difficult to find, and this seems to be an enduring problem and one that will likely get more focus as it’s politicized even more as we get closer to the 2024 elections.

I saw this NYT article today and thought it was worth sharing: The Struggle to Save Portland, Oregon.

While we’ve discussed the ravages of crime and homelessness and mental health and addiction in Portland and other U.S. cities, it’s interesting to me to see the extent to which one specific drug - fentanyl - is at the center of the problem, at least according to this article.
The city has long grappled with street homelessness and a shortage of housing. Now fentanyl has turned a perennial problem into a deadly crisis and a challenge to the city’s progressive identity.

This city of 635,000, home to the world’s largest bookstore and majestic views of snowcapped Mount Hood, has long grappled with homelessness. But during the pandemic this perennial problem turned into an especially desperate and sometimes deadly crisis that is dividing Portland over how to fix it. While other cities in the West, like San Diego and Phoenix, face similar issues, the suffering on Portland’s streets has dealt a singular challenge to the city’s identity as a liberal bastion that prides itself on embracing transplants from across the country.

In 2022, Portland experienced a spate of homicides and other violence involving homeless victims that rattled many in the community: a 42-year-old homeless woman shot in the face by two teenagers who were hunting rats with a pellet gun; a 26-year-old homeless woman stabbed in the chest outside her tent; another homeless woman, 31, fatally shot at close range by a stranger.

The search for answers points in many directions — to city and county officials who allowed tents on the streets because the government had little to offer in the way of housing, to Oregon voters who backed decriminalizing hard drugs and to the unrest that rocked Portland in 2020 and left raw scars.

But what has turbocharged the city’s troubles in recent years is fentanyl, the deadly synthetic drug, which has transformed long standing problems into a profound test of the Portland ethos.

Today, there are an estimated 6,300 homeless people in Multnomah County, which includes Portland. Only a relatively small number of them are still living in the homeless-run villages. Many live in tents under bridges, behind a hospital and in pine-scented groves. Some have fire pits. One has an American flag out front. A wheelchair. A library. A dead rat.

Mr. Alpert, who left government in 2016, says he has been blamed for allowing the tents to spread early on. “I wrestle even still with whether it was fair or unfair criticism,” he said.

Within a few years, the tents became more entrenched. In 2018, the federal appeals court that covers Oregon and much of the West ruled that cities could not prohibit people from sleeping outside if an alternative shelter wasn’t available.

Mr. Alpert still lives in Portland and likes to take long walks around the city. Over the past two years, he has seen at least 10 people overdosing, and has encountered a man walking around downtown naked and screaming.

“This is not the same issue that we were fighting,” he said. “This is something different.”
Really sad story.

It’s also incredibly frustrating given some of what’s been going on out here regarding local government incompetence. In 2020 voters in Multnomah County (Portland) as well as surrounding counties approved a ”Supportive Housing Services” tax directly earmarked for funding efforts to combat homelessness. To be clear, this is people who live outside of Portland voting to pay an additional tax to fund efforts to combat homelessness in Portland. I voted for that measure and felt good about doing so. When I first moved out here, I saw Portland as a shared resource and a huge draw for many people who live outside the city. It makes sense that those people should help foot the bill to clean it up and try to get it back on its feet. But, what has our local government done with this money?

Low wages and staffing shortages plague rollout of Portland-area supportive housing tax dollars
Like many Portland-area nonprofits, SEI’s housing programs are partially funded by the regional supportive housing services tax, the voter-approved fund meant to support organizations with programs that help move homeless people into housing and keep people from entering homelessness. This funding stream has been slow to reach the people it’s intended to support in Multnomah County, however. The Joint Office of Homeless Services, the agency that oversees Multnomah County’s pot of the supportive housing tax, reported in May that it spent only $40 million in the first three quarters of the 2023 fiscal year. That’s less than half of the $83.4 million it intended to distribute during this time period.
In Year’s First Six Months, County Spent Less Than Half Its Budgeted Metro Homeless Services Money
The underspending continues a trend from the previous year. Other counties did better.

The Big Number: $22.3 million. That’s how much Metro homeless services bond money Multnomah County budgeted but failed to spend in the first half of the fiscal year.

New figures for the first half of the current fiscal year show Multnomah County spent less than half its budgeted funding from the Metro homeless services measure.

Through the six months ending Dec. 31, the Joint Office of Homeless Services reported spending just under $22 million of its allocation from the Metro measure. That’s a lot of money but less than half the amount JOHS budgeted to spend—and less than 20% of the Metro dollars it’s expecting to spend over the course of the fiscal year.

That continues a trend from last year, when the Joint Office far underspent its Metro allocation (“Saving for a Rainy Day,” WW, Nov. 30, 2022).

Sometimes, when governments underspend their budgets, taxpayers appreciate their restraint and fiscal discipline. But with Multnomah County having recently reported record unsheltered deaths, and the city and county still dotted with homeless camps, underspending is not ideal.
Yeah. I’d say it’s not ideal. Far from it. And reading that NYT article today really drives that point home.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Re: Urban Decay

Post by malchior »

This has happened before. This story has been told many times before. Not that there aren't things to learn in the article and it could be a starting point for an actual deep dive. For example, it would have been *very helpful* to understand why the money is being underspent or dig into why people won't live in the homeless villages for instance. I ask because it is not necessarily incompetence; many cities struggle with these same issues. And we seem to never learn lessons from the last "demon drug" wave.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes, but do they get WIFI?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my thread on this from a couple years ago: https://octopusoverlords.com/forum/view ... s#p2808041

this is basically the voting issue - along with crime/public safety - for the Seattle city council elections this fall (four or five of the seven incumbents won't be re-running, with the two re-running attempting - and failing - to repudiate their policy decisions from 2020)
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

The election for District Attorney in Portland is going to be an interesting one this year. Our DA is a progressive who ran on a platform with a heavy emphasis on reform. That hasn't gone so well here, for a number of reasons (not all of which fairly land on his doorstep).

There have been a number of articles highlighting the tensions between the DA and the police. It's gotten so bad, the police chief had to issue an edict to the force telling them, Stop telling residents DA Mike Schmidt won’t prosecute crimes.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah, there are signs that police in many cities indulge in a little "quiet quitting" when the DA or the Mayor isn't to their liking.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That definitely happened in Chicago, to the point my wife is no longer volunteering.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

accusations abundant that this is the case in Seattle as well (and has been ever since WTO in 1999)
malchior

Post by malchior »

We have a lot of evidence that policing is on the list of troubled institutions in the United States. We have some natural experiments that show that this "progressive DA" talking point is mostly bullshit. For example, in San Francisco it has become clear that whoever is DA has almost nothing to do with the crime rate. But the police? Their performance definitely changed. When Chesa Boudin was kicked out they suddenly started making a whole lot more stops and arrests. And the voters? They bought into the misinformation and propaganda -- often fueled by the police -- that criminal justice reform was increasing crime.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:37 pm Yeah, there are signs that police in many cities indulge in a little "quiet quitting" when the DA or the Mayor isn't to their liking.
It was called "going fetal" here long before quiet quitting was a thing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... m-emanuel/
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Fetal pigs.
-snicker-