Cartographers, adaptation of fun board game [iOS/Android]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Cartographers, adaptation of fun board game [iOS/Android]

Post by Hipolito »

I occasionally play apps based on board games. Ingenious and Elder Sign: Omens are examples that I've enjoyed.

I recently became hooked on Cartographers, which is a pretty popular board game. You start with a grid map and, over the course of four seasons, you fill the map with Tetris-like shapes representing forest, water, farms, and houses.

During each season, there are two Edict cards that tell you what kind of terrain the Queen wants built that season. For example, the Shoreside Expansion edict tells you to build farm and water spaces, but not next to each other or the edge of the map. The Borderlands edict tells you to fill entire rows or columns. The more you fulfill an edict, the more points you earn that season.

A key part of the strategy is knowing that some Edicts go into effect in later seasons. Sometimes you'll want to earn as many points as possible from the current season's Edicts, and other times you want to disregard the current Edicts and optimize your map for future seasons' Edicts.

With the physical board game, some people have a lot of fun making their map nice and colorful, almost like a map out of a fantasy book. With the app, the game does the drawing for you, and while it might not look very artistic it's still colorful and functional. And the app has the added benefits of doing all the scoring for you and showing where the current tetris piece will fit. I've never played the physical board game, and now that I've played the app, I don't think I'd want to; the app is just too convenient and efficient.

The app costs $3.99, and there's a $1.99 DLC that adds more Edicts, tetris pieces, and other things for added variety. There are also leaderboards in which everyone gets the same set of Edicts; despite having played about 90 times, I've yet to make it to the top 100. I've had a really good time with this app and recommend it if you're looking for a smartphone game.
Fardaza

Re: Cartographers, adaptation of fun board game [iOS/Android]

Post by Fardaza »

I love the board game and don't think I'll get this app. I haven't bought any apps for board games I own because I know I'll never pull out the original board game again. And besides, I want to get away from the screen sometimes!

I'm glad you're enjoying it though. It is a wonderful little game.
Montag

Post by Montag »

My two favorite app implementations are Through the Ages and Star Realms. There are so many fiddly bits in Through the Ages, I think the app is the better experience. Star Realms is nice - when you purchase it and the different expansions - they are unlocked on all platforms - IOS, Android, and Steam.
words
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I actually think the app is better than the physical game in some ways, mainly because it automatically uses color-coded tiles. Changing to colored pencils changed the physical game for me, but just having it part of the app is fantastic. It's a great game regardless.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Montag wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:44 am My two favorite app implementations are Through the Ages and Star Realms. There are so many fiddly bits in Through the Ages, I think the app is the better experience. Star Realms is nice - when you purchase it and the different expansions - they are unlocked on all platforms - IOS, Android, and Steam.
I played a bit of Star Realms on PC. It was fun, but in the middle of Chapter 2 of the campaign, I felt like I'd seen enough, and I didn't think the expansions would add enough variety to keep me interested.

I also played a bit of Sentinels of the Multiverse on PC. That was cool, but it didn't have a campaign if I remember correctly. You just pick a hero, an enemy hero, and have a duel.

Some other board game apps I want to try are Lords of Waterdeep, Scythe, Wingspan, and Spirit Island. I think they would be best on iPad, but I don't have one of those at the moment.

And I really ought to try that Twilight Struggle PC game I backed on Kickstarter in 2016.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hipolito wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:59 pm
Montag wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:44 am My two favorite app implementations are Through the Ages and Star Realms. There are so many fiddly bits in Through the Ages, I think the app is the better experience. Star Realms is nice - when you purchase it and the different expansions - they are unlocked on all platforms - IOS, Android, and Steam.
I also played a bit of Sentinels of the Multiverse on PC. That was cool, but it didn't have a campaign if I remember correctly. You just pick a hero, an enemy hero, and have a duel.
Just to clarify, tabletop SotM doesn't have a campaign either. A later expansion did add Oblivion, which is kind of like a campaign (says the guy that never played it). You can also get Oblivion for the PC version. In Steam it was part of the Season 2 DLC. (Oh, and you pick 3-5 heroes, a villain, and an environment... then have a duel! :) )

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I actually prefer the digital version of Cartographers to the physical game. Much easier to use, especially when it comes to scoring. It's a great app.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Hipolito wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:59 pm
I played a bit of Star Realms on PC. It was fun, but in the middle of Chapter 2 of the campaign, I felt like I'd seen enough, and I didn't think the expansions would add enough variety to keep me interested.

Some other board game apps I want to try are Lords of Waterdeep, Scythe, Wingspan, and Spirit Island. I think they would be best on iPad, but I don't have one of those at the moment.

And I really ought to try that Twilight Struggle PC game I backed on Kickstarter in 2016.
Star Realms shines a multiplayer game with the asynchronous play support. It is so quick and easy to do your turns and the notifications work really well. It is okay for single player.
words
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:58 pm I actually prefer the digital version of Cartographers to the physical game. Much easier to use, especially when it comes to scoring. It's a great app.
I can see where computer scoring would be a great addition! It would also eliminate any cheating or simple mistakes.