1st Republican debate of 2023-24

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: 1st Republican debate of 2023-24

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:10 pm Stage an insurrection? No. Subvert an election? Maybe! Depends upon what you consider "subvert", but Trump has very much mainstreamed "democrats steal elections" as a fundamental GOP belief. If GOP officials or operatives like Jeffrey Clarke or John Eastman start trying to change the results in a key swing state, would Haley explicitly or implicitly support them? Would she put a stop to it? I wish I had more confidence that she would do the right thing, but I don't.
The fight and mindset remain real in Michigan. Three years later, there are still constant baseless attacks on Detroit precincts and grumbling about mail in ballots (that they use, themselves) while :whistle: about actually trying to send fake electors to DC.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kurth wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:58 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:51 pm
Kurth wrote: One of these outcomes at least affords a chance to peacefully oppose the effort to undermine democratic institutions. The other, not so much.
I think that you greatly overestimate that chance.
Fair enough. But if Trump gets a second term, where do you put our chances? Even a small - if overestimated - chance is huge compared to 0.000%.
That's not the only comparison, though. Let's say there's a 75% chance that with Biden winning, democracy lives on (some would likely be more pessimistic than that). So you're looking at 75% for Biden, 10% for Haley, 0% for Trump. Now you look at your original comparison of the Biden/Trump odds vs Haley. I'm still going to go with 75% Biden/25% Trump option.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or, as I look at it, 100% chance of MAGA vs 25% chance of very slightly different MAGA.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I submit that with Haley it would be 50% less MAGAty than Trump.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I prefer to encounter as few MAGAts as possible in my daily schedule.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:38 pm I submit that with Haley it would be 50% less MAGAty than Trump.
Agreed. And the 50% where it would be different is, from my perspective, the most important part.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's still MAGA enough to unbalance us at a time when we're already teetering on the brink. She doesn't need to paint herself orange to push us over the edge.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I mean, I hope like hell Christie or Haley gets the nom. In the real world, though, there is a zero percent chance I will be voting for anybody with an R after their name regardless. I'd love to see the primary voters reject Trump, but I'm willing to bet that he's right and they will forgive him anything as long as he promises to hurt the people they want hurt.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Viveks the only one living in the real world of the Republican dystopia. The debate was about who is going to be trumps VP pick.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant stand Christie. After shutting all the beaches down he took his family where? To the beach of course! No telling what other crap he has pulled. Oh wait..tolls I think.

Haley I do not know. I had her confused with Sanders who I have a passionate HATE for her, her thoughts, her voice, and her face.

Haley seems to have been appointed by Obama for stuff so maybe she is the better one. Ive never heard her thoughts on anything though. She may be nutty as a fruitcake and twice as evil.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:25 am Viveks the only one living in the real world of the Republican dystopia. The debate was about who is going to be trumps VP pick.
Him? Um no thanks.

Quoted from the article Ill link to.....
He is deeply skeptical of NATO. He wants to swiftly end the war in Ukraine, detach Russia from China, and compel Taiwan to defend itself without America. He also proposed reducing American financial aid to Israel, a stance long considered politically impossible on the right, before saying he would do so only with Israel’s approval.Invoking Presidents George Washington, James Monroe, and Richard Nixon—whom Ramaswamy has called “the most underappreciated president of our modern history in this country, probably in all of American history
Will screw NATO alliance some more AND loves Nixon? LOL. No thnx.

Then again I dont want and GOP anywhere near DC. Looks like Mitch is about ready to have to be bussed out as a statue.

Article on Viveks views

Lol I just noticed what I named the link...sounds like a Blues Clues show..."What? Where? Can you spot the deplorable?"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Vivek would be the worst choice in my opinion because in business he’s made a lot of money for him and lost it for investors but clearly he’s angling to be trumps VP. Most of his views he’s aligned to trump or gone further.

And he’s someone trump hasn’t gone after indicating quite possibly he is trumps pick and his game at the debate was him firing up for his new boss.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:41 am Vivek would be the worst choice in my opinion because in business he’s made a lot of money for him and lost it for investors
This is the most possible on-brand choice for Trump's VP that there could possibly be.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:07 pm I prefer to encounter as few MAGAts as possible in my daily schedule.
You should have missed your flight back to Texas Wednesday morning and stayed here then. :wink:
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I feel like Vivek's positions are just polar opposite to the US's position on pretty much everything.

That's not a political stance, it's a boolean function.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:23 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:07 pm I prefer to encounter as few MAGAts as possible in my daily schedule.
You should have missed your flight back to Texas Wednesday morning and stayed here then. :wink:
I'm 70-80% remote and don't answer the front door. I'm good in the short term.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:02 am
waitingtoconnect wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:41 am Vivek would be the worst choice in my opinion because in business he’s made a lot of money for him and lost it for investors
This is the most possible on-brand choice for Trump's VP that there could possibly be.
Just listened to The Daily on Vivek, and they threw cold water on the notion that he’d want to be Trump’s VP. The reporter embedded with him says that’s just not who Vivek is. Too much ego. Always seeking the bright lights. No experience playing second fiddle, and not having the personality to do it. He wouldn’t want the VP job, and Trump wouldn’t like him in it.

Their perspective was that he is in this to position himself to grab up Trump’s base when/if Trump is unable to continue.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

To be clear, I don't take him as the type to want it, either.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:59 pm To be clear, I don't take him as the type to want it, either.
Yeah, I get that, but my sense was that The Daily was suggesting that he wouldn't take it even if offered.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

It'll be a disaster if someone like this become POTUS: