Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Post Reply
User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 26792
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Unagi »

Lassr wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:03 am
Thought I was going to pull it off.
Really !?

I assumed you felt that my offer was your most likely win. Personally, I felt it was your only chance. I had no intention of just letting the day end without someone winning 'today'- I had come to the conclusion that leaving this day behind would only lead to my loss.
User avatar
Newcastle
Posts: 10132
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:22 am
Location: reading over a shoulder near you

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Newcastle »

I think that was the fastest day 1 I have ever been a part of. That was quite a whirlwind! That double vote was a massive threat. So hats off to Lagom to pulling that off. Glad it worked. I really couldn't believe that the Borgs were neutralized on the opening day. Added a very tense dynamic. I recognized that double vote threat too, so that had me on edge. Nice job managing that position Unagi; Day 1 dawns and you are all alone. Also must have been frustrating as a wolf to see day 1 go by so fast.

And... Oops! I have no idea how i missed that first portal code in the PM. Wow. I have zero explanation for that. Brain fart. Maybe bold that part next time Scoop. The fault is totally mine.

I would not have guessed the code either. Needed the third part and even then w/ either of the other two not sure if I would gotten it on 2 tries. Maybe 3+. Didn't even dawn on me to compare the sign up sheets w/ the roles. Nice observation for those who figured it out.

Overall fun game Scoop thank you for hosting.


I have a few suggestions.
-what if there is a mechanic where the wolves are unknown to each other at the start, and they submit their "kills". BUT if they happen to name another wolf, they connect up. NO secret forum but they become aware of each other via a Moderator PM. So that way they can try to coordinate via the main forum and shenanigans will ensue. Also that way there is no accidental wolf on wolf kill. So the wolf could in theory have a choice: add to the kill vote or use their night kill vote to probe for a pack member.

-probably need a mechanic to share and throttle the time portal code. Need it more risky for humans to share; and a reason for the other 2 teams to sit on that info or even have a method of freezing the portal.

-MORE shooters. IE everyone has a shot to start the day. But somehow moderate it so you can only fire if you meet certain criteria. Or you can shoot or defend yourself. Just a thought. Just a way to add more chaos to the game. I think what made this game fun was the initial bloodbath that just shook the game around. Just wondering how to explore that dynamic a bit more. yeah the game would start fast, but also end fast. Just a thought.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
User avatar
Punisher
Posts: 4278
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Punisher »

Regarding your defend thing, what if everyone had an "I'm rubber, you're glue; whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you" ability. We can name it rubber or rebound for short.
Basically 8f you ate targeted it just bounces back to whoever took the shot 8nstead. Maybe tje target knows who took a shot at them maybe they dont.
This would make it risky to take blind shots.
Probably need to limit ot so that its not used every night.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
User avatar
Holman
Posts: 29196
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Between the Schuylkill and the Wissahickon

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Holman »

Thanks, Scoop! I really enjoyed the game.

FWIW, time code I found was 11223.

With Newcastle's 12345, I took a guess that the third might be 34455. But alas, no.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
User avatar
Lassr
Posts: 16900
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:51 am
Location: Rocket City (AL)
Contact:

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Lassr »

Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:12 pm
Lassr wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:03 am
Thought I was going to pull it off.
Really !?

I assumed you felt that my offer was your most likely win. Personally, I felt it was your only chance. I had no intention of just letting the day end without someone winning 'today'- I had come to the conclusion that leaving this day behind would only lead to my loss.
Sure, When I first countered your reveal and others were doubting you more than me, but as the day went on, I saw it was getting less likely to pull out the victory that day. And moving into the next day even less likely.
Then the vote count hit and it was over.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 26792
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:59 pm FWIW, time code I found was 11223.
Don't make it sound like you didn't break into my room and hack my iPhone to "find" that.
User avatar
Punisher
Posts: 4278
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Punisher »

Holman wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:59 pm Thanks, Scoop! I really enjoyed the game.

FWIW, time code I found was 11223.

With Newcastle's 12345, I took a guess that the third might be 34455. But alas, no.
Thats what I guessed too!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
User avatar
Holman
Posts: 29196
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Between the Schuylkill and the Wissahickon

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:36 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:59 pm FWIW, time code I found was 11223.
Don't make it sound like you didn't break into my room and hack my iPhone to "find" that.
If you mean I saw the Post-It note next to your Nokia, yes.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 26792
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Unagi »

:D
User avatar
stessier
Posts: 29931
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by stessier »

So for Unagi - were your comments around siding with the wolves to let them win just a ploy or were you actually considering it? I'll be honest, it kind of sounded like whining from my seat (which is fine if it is just a ploy). You were saying the Humans should have been happy with a half win but for some reason you weren't willing to take the same offer. The Wolves were actively hunting you but you would have thrown in with them rather than the Humans who just had a different end in mind. I didn't agree with that reasoning (assuming it wasn't a ploy).

And Moliere - seriously????? Not helpful!!! :P :lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
User avatar
Moliere
Posts: 12380
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Walking through a desert land

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:05 pm And Moliere - seriously????? Not helpful!!! :P :lol:
:oops:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 82934
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:22 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:05 pm And Moliere - seriously????? Not helpful!!! :P :lol:
:oops:
It was a hard choice on who to whack on night 0 after such a long hiatus.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 26792
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:05 pm You were saying the Humans should have been happy with a half win but for some reason you weren't willing to take the same offer.
How were they offering me a chance to half-win? If the night went forward and the next day stepped forward - it appeared they would very likely have the complete code and force me to lose (ironically, they already had the code and didn't know it).
I felt this was my only chance at any win at all.

No clue if I'd have gone through with it, tbh - but if I hadn't, it would have been because I felt like 'handing the game' to the humans - and not 'handing it to the wolves'.

Roleplay-wise, I honestly thought that the human's time-portal win was the one true loss for Cyborg Hunters (lose the war level), and that to let these wolves eat these humans was merely a 'lose the battle' level, and that at least there was still a 'tomorrow' for Cyborg Hunters.
User avatar
stessier
Posts: 29931
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:21 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:05 pm You were saying the Humans should have been happy with a half win but for some reason you weren't willing to take the same offer.
How were they offering me a chance to half-win? If the night went forward and the next day stepped forward - it appeared they would very likely have the complete code and force me to lose (ironically, they already had the code and didn't know it).
I felt this was my only chance at any win at all.

No clue if I'd have gone through with it, tbh - but if I hadn't, it would have been because I felt like 'handing the game' to the humans - and not 'handing it to the wolves'.

Roleplay-wise, I honestly thought that the human's time-portal win was the one true loss for Cyborg Hunters (lose the war level), and that to let these wolves eat these humans was merely a 'lose the battle' level, and that at least there was still a 'tomorrow' for Cyborg Hunters.
The wolves weren't trying to eat the humans - the wolves only win condition was to eat you (well, all the Cyborgs but well....you know). So siding with them was you losing. Siding with the humans, even if it meant a time line reversal, guaranteed your sworn enemy lost. That's the same half win you were asking from the humans.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 26792
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:28 pm The wolves weren't trying to eat the humans - the wolves only win condition was to eat you (well, all the Cyborgs but well....you know). So siding with them was you losing. Siding with the humans, even if it meant a time line reversal, guaranteed your sworn enemy lost. That's the same half win you were asking from the humans.
The wolves only had to kill the cyborg hunters because they were the only thing keeping them from massacring humans.

Siding with the wolves, kept the portal-thingy all locked down, and THAT was a shared goal between the wolves and the cyborg hunters.

In a normal game, I (obviously) would agree with you - but this game had a lot of ways to lose and some teams had 2 ways to "win". The only reason for the humans to help kill the last wolf here will be if they are not in a position to just keep looking to unlock the time-portal.

I sincerely didn't understand why they wouldn't be Okay with their optional win condition.

I do see your point though, and I'm sorry if I was indeed being just a punk about the game - it wasn't my intention to be bratty, just to get my way. :P :ninja: :?


I looked at it a bit like a normal WW game (where I was the human role) but with a side-faction of aliens that wanted to blow up the entire planet as their victory condition. That was worse than a loss to the WW - which was just our village.


And, what do you think Scoop was thinking when he wrote:
Alliances will be forged, betrayals executed
Was it just The Humans that could forge alliances and execute betrayals?
User avatar
Punisher
Posts: 4278
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:38 pm
Moliere wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:22 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:05 pm And Moliere - seriously????? Not helpful!!! :P :lol:
:oops:
It was a hard choice on who to whack on night 0 after such a long hiatus.
This was why I skipped voting on Night 0. You were literally shooting blind.
So, why take a shot at all?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
User avatar
Punisher
Posts: 4278
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Punisher »

Unagi wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:18 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:28 pm The wolves weren't trying to eat the humans - the wolves only win condition was to eat you (well, all the Cyborgs but well....you know). So siding with them was you losing. Siding with the humans, even if it meant a time line reversal, guaranteed your sworn enemy lost. That's the same half win you were asking from the humans.
The wolves only had to kill the cyborg hunters because they were the only thing keeping them from massacring humans.

Siding with the wolves, kept the portal-thingy all locked down, and THAT was a shared goal between the wolves and the cyborg hunters.

In a normal game, I (obviously) would agree with you - but this game had a lot of ways to lose and some teams had 2 ways to "win". The only reason for the humans to help kill the last wolf here will be if they are not in a position to just keep looking to unlock the time-portal.

I sincerely didn't understand why they wouldn't be Okay with their optional win condition.

I do see your point though, and I'm sorry if I was indeed being just a punk about the game - it wasn't my intention to be bratty, just to get my way. :P :ninja: :?


I looked at it a bit like a normal WW game (where I was the human role) but with a side-faction of aliens that wanted to blow up the entire planet as their victory condition. That was worse than a loss to the WW - which was just our village.


And, what do you think Scoop was thinking when he wrote:
Alliances will be forged, betrayals executed
Was it just The Humans that could forge alliances and execute betrayals?
I agree with what you said.
Wolves win, cyborgs and humans lose. Although the portal is kept safe so the cyborgs should have had that as a half win.
Humans find time key and cyborgs and wolves lose.
Humans kill last wolf, wolves lise, cyborgs win and Humans get a half win.
Humans seemed to be fighting to find the time key which means that cyborgs would lose anyway.
Unagi offered to have a shared win by getting rid of the last wolv3s. Humans seemed to decline.
Since he was going to lose either way and humans weren't interested in a shared win he offered himself up to the wolves. Maybe out of spite maybe not, but if I was in his position and thought of it, id probably do the same thing.
It's not like anyone gets a real prize for winning so I think the humans should have shared the win.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 82934
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Isgrimnur »

Punisher wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:11 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:38 pm
Moliere wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:22 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:05 pm And Moliere - seriously????? Not helpful!!! :P :lol:
:oops:
It was a hard choice on who to whack on night 0 after such a long hiatus.
This was why I skipped voting on Night 0. You were literally shooting blind.
So, why take a shot at all?
Eight possible targets, six of which aren't on my team. 75% chance of helping my team.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
User avatar
Lassr
Posts: 16900
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:51 am
Location: Rocket City (AL)
Contact:

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Lassr »

I thought a wolf kill at night was required, if it was optional, it wasn't obvious. All other games, it was not optional, just as voting someone off during the day was not. Of course, this had weird rules, so I shouldn't assume...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Lassr
Posts: 16900
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:51 am
Location: Rocket City (AL)
Contact:

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Lassr »

also, one of the downfalls of playing half the game on my phone. Phone does not make it easy to navigate the forum and go back and read all the rules.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Punisher
Posts: 4278
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Punisher »

Lassr wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:04 pm I thought a wolf kill at night was required, if it was optional, it wasn't obvious. All other games, it was not optional, just as voting someone off during the day was not. Of course, this had weird rules, so I shouldn't assume...
I guess this is where my messed up brain helped me a little. I didn't remember one way or the other so I just asked Scoop of I could pass.
If I had to choose, I'm not sure who I would have chosen. If I had known 2 out of 3 cyborgs would be killed I probably would have tried Unagi.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
User avatar
Punisher
Posts: 4278
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: Fight for the Future (ww) - Human's Win

Post by Punisher »

Just in case someone didn't notice it, thetes a new game in town...

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/v ... 6#p2995926
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Post Reply