System build time (for a cheapskate who hasn't build a system in ages)

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Madmarcus

System build time (for a cheapskate who hasn't build a system in ages)

Post by Madmarcus »

As I just said in the Starfield thread it looks like my GPU is giving up the ghost. It's at least making enough noise when I'm typing this message that I can't stand it which is probably enough even if it isn't outright failing. Cleaning things might solve the problem but I figure that it is at least reasonable to get a feel for new systems since I really haven't bought one in ages.

My quirk is that I am not that interested in high resolution monitors, ultra wide monitors, or the like. I am fine with running 1080p at medium or high settings on modern games. I'm running low settings in Starfield right now and it's not bad although I can tell that both CPU and GPU are being pushed. Also, because of where the computer is in the house I'd like to get a smaller, quieter, and less gaming looking computer. I"m currently rocking a big tower and I think it might be time to ditch that look even if it might cost a little more.
Blackhawk

Re: System build time (for a cheapskate who hasn't build a system in ages)

Post by Blackhawk »

What is your price point? AMD or Nvidia?

If you're looking at monitors, I won't argue at all with 1080 - I still use 1080. The improvement in 4k, visually, isn't enough to justify the performance hit. I would, however, suggest a 144Hz Gsync/Gsync compatible monitor (or FreeSync if you prefer AMD.) They're not expensive, but the visual difference between a standard 60Hz monitor and a 144Hz is significant (enough that when I watch someone game on a 60Hz now, it looks choppy.) It isn't bigger, or wider, or curved - it just displays a smoother picture (the motion is smoother.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

:D You've seen my posts on other topics; I don't have brand loyalty or price in mind until I see what is out there! About the only specific factor is that I'm a big believer in the hedonistic treadmill. I"m fine with 1080p on my 60Hz monitor now and thus I will stick with it.

That said after cleaning the computer and GPU it still has the noise that it didn't have yesterday. So I'm going ahead with getting a new GPU. It means my system might be CPU limited but given what I tend to play that isn't a huge deal and should allow me to wait until next year to pick up a new rest of the system.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

1080p and 60Hz for the foreseeable future? I would pick the lowest priced, relatively recent card I could find bc anything more would be a waste of money.

With the lower hw demands, you should also be able to run any modern card very quietly.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:19 pm :D You've seen my posts on other topics; I don't have brand loyalty or price in mind until I see what is out there! About the only specific factor is that I'm a big believer in the hedonistic treadmill. I"m fine with 1080p on my 60Hz monitor now and thus I will stick with it.
You weren't really clear about what components you were looking to buy - like whether you were going for the whole shebang, just a video card, or what. And if (if) you were replacing a monitor, there'd be no reason to choose the earlier technology. But if you're keeping what you have, it doesn't really matter.

I'd think that the sweet spot right now depends on what you're wanting to spend. From the perspective of someone who knows Nvidia best, cheapest option is probably the RTX 4060. The RTX 3070 is a little more expensive, and a little faster, but doesn't have the 4000 series features, and I'd probably suggest the 4070 over the 3070.

If you're planning on upgrading the rest later and bringing in a CPU/Mobo/RAM that's more up-to-date, I'd probably push the 4070. Otherwise you'll just be trading one bottlneck for another.

But no video card is really cheap right now.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'd suggest following the specs for building a budget system provided by the PC Perspective Hardware Leaderboard. Click on the relevant bullet points of the low-end system for further info on their recommended components:
pcper.com wrote:WHAT IS THE PC PERSPECTIVE HARDWARE LEADERBOARD?
UPDATED 05/05/23

The Budget System is still a bit over the $500 target, unless you skip the GPU which might be a good idea if prices continue to drop as they have been. In order to make sure you can game without a GPU, and because the price is very attractive the Ryzen 5 5600G remains, paired with a ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS motherboard which is currently on sale. With the pricing of the new B660 motherboards and DDR5 it makes sense to grab an X570 with all the features you could want, but at affordable price. The Corsair DDR4-3600 may not be flashy but it is the preferred frequency and appears on the QVL list for the motherboard. Western Digital’s Black SN770 is in low supply right now and is replaced by the Crucial P3 SSD. The GPU has moved on from the ancient past to a more modern card. The $185 price tag on the MSI Radeon RX 6500 XT is acceptable for this range, though you are still better served skipping it for now if you possibly can. Once you can afford to spend $300 or more you have a huge increase in choice.

Once you have all your components you can always reference Ryan’s videos covering the installation of the parts into the case as well as installing your OS and Steam so you can get right to gaming and surfing. For those of you looking at a Vive or Oculus, the systems mostly match those covered in Ryan’s VR builds; check out your expected experience in his three guides.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm being intentionally vague because I don't have many restrictions other than sticking with the current monitor for now. In fact I'm more interested in ideas of system builds and price points or sweet spots than I am in specific "buy this" recommendations. Most likely I'll go with a new graphics card and postpone the rest of the system but I'd still love to hear that people would recommend for various systems from minimalist on up to reasonable (there is no need to even talk about the high end!).

I find it interesting that you think the 4060 would be a bottleneck anytime soon when I've had a 1060 for 6 years now with it only becoming a bottleneck with Starfield and Cyberpunk 2077. I would figure it would be a solid choice for at least 4 years especially as I don't see pushing beyond 1080p in that time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's the effect of the vagueness. ;)

Without knowing your end goal and final budget, it's hard to say. If you're upgrading to a modern, just-below-current CPU/mobo/RAM later, a 4060 would be the weakest component, and a 4070 would last much longer and get more out of all of the components. If you're wanting a sub-$500 final price tag with a budget CPU, then the 4060 would be overkill, and you could probably get by with something much slower (and cheaper, although the 3060 is only a couple of bucks cheaper than the 4060.)

And, if you're going super cheap, you might be better off looking into a pre-built.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

if you're not buying second-hand (which, in this situation, is a perfect use case for doing so):

Less than $150 – Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
Between $150 and $300 – AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT 4GB

https://www.techspot.com/guides/2673-new-graphics-card/
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Do you have an SSD?
Starfield requires one to ensure optimal performance.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:37 am if you're not buying second-hand (which, in this situation, is a perfect use case for doing so):

Less than $150 – Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
Between $150 and $300 – AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT 4GB

https://www.techspot.com/guides/2673-new-graphics-card/
I would go up to a 1660 Super for $20-$30 more (than 1650)

But would hesitate even on that…only three years newer than card he has, and only about 25% faster.

I think a 1650 would actually be slower than his current card!

Narrator: it is.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

If youre looking to buy 9ff the shelf i highly recommended going to a local Microcenter if you have one.
The one near me usually has knowledgeable peoples for the most part and a good variety of computers ready to go.
Plus they can also do custom builds for you if you want.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I've been lax in updating and thanking everyone.

In the end the 1060 started to make noise constantly when the computer was on. It was better after cleaning and I could have gamed with headphones on but it was too much when the computer was simply sitting unused. So in the interest of pushing off the total system build and getting a quiet living room (yes; my gaming computer is in the main living area of the house) I picked up a 6650xt. It seemed to be the best balance of price versus features for less than $250.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There used to be a MicroCenter around Santa Clara, but that closed, leaving just one... all the way down near Irvine in SoCal.

But there's belief that they may be moving back in to SF Bay area, as they may be taking over a former Bed Bath and Beyond location in a few months according to BB&B's liquidation filings.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds