R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:36 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:18 pm RIP, Ducky.
Holy cow, for a second I thought Jon Cryer had died.
And I thought it was Gedde Watanabe (although I can't remember for sure if anyone ever actually called him 'Ducky'.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RIP Suzanne Somers:
Suzanne Somers, best known for her roles on Three's Company and Step by Step, has died.

Somers died on Sunday morning, PEOPLE confirms. She would have been 77 on Monday.

“Suzanne Somers passed away peacefully at home in the early morning hours of October 15th. She survived an aggressive form of breast cancer for over 23 years,” Somers’ longtime publicist R. Couri Hay wrote in a statement shared on behalf of the actress’ family.
:(
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I remember seeing her in the first season of Three's Company and then nothing else, even though she was always around somehow.

I've never seen anyone make more out of that one season.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Awww. She was cool. Of course I remember her from Three's Company but also from American Graffiti as the girl in the Thunderbird that Richard Dreyfuss was after and also the Thigh Master TV commercials.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I didn't watch Three's Company but I do remember her from American Graffiti and being the "It Girl" for a few years. Surviving "aggressive" breast cancer for 23 years is quite something. RIP.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya my cousin didn't survive one year hardly and they told her she was clear of cancer after first treating it. Dumbasses and their primitive medicine.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:08 pm I didn't watch Three's Company
I've read that like five times and I can't process it as it was a staple of my childhood. Maybe it was on when you were of an age where watching TV wasn't important - because you were doing much cooler things? It's an absolute classic and she was great on the show; they all were.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It is literally impossible for anyone born before 1975 or so to have never seen Three’s Company. Viewership of at least one episode is actually required in order to get a social security number or a state ID. I call B.S..

Fun fact: I recently found out that an old friend of mine back in Akron, Ohio who is a DJ held a “Mrs. Roper Rally” at a local bar. I guess it’s a national thing and he organized that area’s event. Imagine a bar full of men and women dressed in extremely colorful kaftans for the night. :lol:
Now depoliticized.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was going to mention attending a Mrs. Roper bar crawl is on my bucket list, but I didn't think anyone would know what that was. :lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its become more often that younger folk dont know what Im talking about or show Im speaking of.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:33 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:08 pm I didn't watch Three's Company
I've read that like five times and I can't process it as it was a staple of my childhood. Maybe it was on when you were of an age where watching TV wasn't important - because you were doing much cooler things? It's an absolute classic and she was great on the show; they all were.
I owned a b&w portable 13" TV with a coat hanger antenna that only got one channel. I used it to watch late-night reruns of Star Trek and Gunsmoke (which came on right after ST). When STNG came along in 1987, I bought my first color TV just to watch that, and I didn't get interested in other shows until VCRs and cable and time-shifting came along a few years later. So Ima guess that Threes Company was on during my TV blackout years in the '80s.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:I was going to mention attending a Mrs. Roper bar crawl is on my bucket list, but I didn't think anyone would know what that was. :lol:
https://www.wbez.org/stories/south-side ... 22324ab9f8
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RIP.

Three's Company has always held a special place in my heart. I was just a young child at the time it was on (around 4 when it premiered.) With all of the other shows I watched set all over the place, and never quite felt real to my untraveled child-self because of it. Three's Company was set in Santa Monica, about an hour from where I'd lived in Oxnard, and it was still so close to the 'feel' of where I was living in Clovis that it felt like it was taking place right around the corner. Every time I catch a clip, or see an episode on somewhere, it genuinely feels like visiting my old neighborhood.

Of course, 95% of it takes place on a soundstage, but four-year-old me didn't know that.
AjD

Post by AjD »

McNutt wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:57 pm I remember seeing her in the first season of Three's Company and then nothing else, even though she was always around somehow.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but Suzanne Somers played Chrissy throughout the first four seasons of Three's Company. She also sporadically appeared during season five (while she famously attempted to renegotiate her contract). The show ran 8 seasons, so Somers appears in more episodes than any of the other "replacement blondes."

Maybe you were thinking of Farrah Fawcett? She left Charlie's Angels after just one season.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:29 pm I owned a b&w portable 13" TV with a coat hanger antenna that only got one channel. I used it to watch late-night reruns of Star Trek and Gunsmoke (which came on right after ST). When STNG came along in 1987, I bought my first color TV just to watch that, and I didn't get interested in other shows until VCRs and cable and time-shifting came along a few years later. So Ima guess that Threes Company was on during my TV blackout years in the '80s.
I was 14 when STTNG premiered and we already had a VCR and had been time shifting for a few years. We never had cable though - all OTA. I think I finally got cable for the first time during my senior year in college when we could cost share with my roommates.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had cable growing up but when I moved in with the girl who would be my wife at her parents place they only had antennae and then could only get nbc. The hill here blocks everything well. I watched the first 4 seasons of STTNG on a UHF local channel with rabbit ears, and tin foil with snow and all.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was (and still am) a HUGE Three's Company fan. I watched it religiously as a kid and remember when Chrissy was replaced by Cindy (who was then replaced by Terri). I had a crush on all the blondes (was not a Janet guy), which is ironic since after I grew up I always favored the brunettes IRL. :lol:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:12 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:29 pm I owned a b&w portable 13" TV with a coat hanger antenna that only got one channel. I used it to watch late-night reruns of Star Trek and Gunsmoke (which came on right after ST). When STNG came along in 1987, I bought my first color TV just to watch that, and I didn't get interested in other shows until VCRs and cable and time-shifting came along a few years later. So Ima guess that Threes Company was on during my TV blackout years in the '80s.
I was 14 when STTNG premiered and we already had a VCR and had been time shifting for a few years. We never had cable though - all OTA. I think I finally got cable for the first time during my senior year in college when we could cost share with my roommates.
I bought my first VCR along with my TV so that I could record STTNG. I had every episode, in order, with the original commercials. Unfortunately tapes were $$$ and I was $, so I recorded them all at the lowest resolution. I don't think I ever watched any of them (except when I missed an episode "live"), but I enjoyed collecting them. Don't remember when I finally got cable, but my interest in TV didn't broaden beyond ST until then. I didn't see any of the shows that you 1980s kids get nostalgic over.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

AjD wrote:
McNutt wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:57 pm I remember seeing her in the first season of Three's Company and then nothing else, even though she was always around somehow.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but Suzanne Somers played Chrissy throughout the first four seasons of Three's Company. She also sporadically appeared during season five (while she famously attempted to renegotiate her contract). The show ran 8 seasons, so Somers appears in more episodes than any of the other "replacement blondes."

Maybe you were thinking of Farrah Fawcett? She left Charlie's Angels after just one season.
You're right. For some reason I thought Sommers held out after the first season.
AjD

Post by AjD »

McNutt wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:07 pm You're right. For some reason I thought Sommers held out after the first season.
Really easy mistake to make! Both TV shows debuted around the same time, on the same network (ABC), and both featured blonde '70s it girls who left big hit shows over contract disputes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:43 pm I was (and still am) a HUGE Three's Company fan. I watched it religiously as a kid and remember when Chrissy was replaced by Cindy (who was then replaced by Terri). I had a crush on all the blondes (was not a Janet guy), which is ironic since after I grew up I always favored the brunettes IRL. :lol:
I wasn't an anything guy when the show was on, but later? I would have been a Janet guy. Sorry, Suzanne.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always liked Janet even though I was a blonde guy. But Chrissy did have the chesticles.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:53 pm But Chrissy did have the chesticles.
Honestly, this seems like a weird context to have this conversation in.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s Daehawk. It was always going to lead here. :wink:
Now depoliticized.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No better place to lead . Always remember them for the good and not the bad.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think when someone dies of breast cancer, commenting on said breasts as part of remembering their life... is definitely something.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I definitely grew up with Three's Company, even if just in reruns, and Chrissy was definitely my favourite. Terri didn't hold a candle as a replacement. Still has one of the best theme songs to this day.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Neither of the two they replaced her with worked at all for me. They should have simply given her equal pay as the men. She got $30,000 per ep and the men got $150,000. She asked to be treated equal and they fired her. Dumb bastards. Now days that will get them in trouble at least but still happens for no good reason.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RIP Tony Stark ;)
Today (October 17, 2023) is officially the day that Tony Stark dies. Based on the official Marvel timeline, which runs a few years ahead of our own, we’ve now reached the date of the battle against Thanos in Avengers: Endgame.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Jesus, the battle happened on a Tuesday? Nobody should have to fight an inter dimensional battle for the fate of all life on the worst day of the week
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Now depoliticized.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Smoove_B wrote:I think when someone dies of breast cancer, commenting on said breasts as part of remembering their life... is definitely something.
Didn't we have this same discussion when Farrah Fawcet died?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

McNutt wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:37 pm
Smoove_B wrote:I think when someone dies of breast cancer, commenting on said breasts as part of remembering their life... is definitely something.
Good question. Time is a flat circle...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:44 pm
McNutt wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:37 pm
Good question. Time is a flat circle...
I dont recall mentioning her butthole but I suppose it could have happened. I bet it was a cute one..as far as buttholes go. How do you judge those? Ive not seen enough to say one way or another if one is cute or not cute or plain.

A little levity in a sad thread. This is internet chat not funeral parlor parlay.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We should just section off part of OO for the sole use of Daehawk and JeffV. :wink:
Now depoliticized.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:30 pm Jesus, the battle happened on a Tuesday? Nobody should have to fight an inter dimensional battle for the fate of all life on the worst day of the week
how is Tuesday worse than Monday? is it because people just don't care too much when returning from the weekend, but two days in they decided they should crank on what they need to do before clocking out Thursday?

(and why are projects always due Friday night? shouldn't it be Thursday so if you have to stay late wrapping it up, you aren't eating into your weekend hours??)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Mondays suck, but it can be nice, initially, to see coworkers, chat about the weekend, and slowly start your work week off. Tuesday, you realize you have four more days of this shit.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:01 am Mondays suck, but it can be nice, initially, to see coworkers, chat about the weekend, and slowly start your work week off. Tuesday, you realize you have four more days of this shit.
See. I do weekday work math differently.

On Tuesday there is only 1 more ‘day of this crap’.

First, I don’t count Tuesday on Tuesday, it’s already started and already ruined and already a loss, I’m already up and I’m already at work.

The one more day is Wednesday.

Thursday is the day of relief, because it is so close to Friday it’s almost like another ‘day of this crap’ , but it’s got more hope.

Friday certainly doesn’t count, as we’ve been working to get to this day.

Saturday is good but starting to haunt us a little about Sunday being soon, but we must not let that get to us.

Sunday, the ‘yeah, the weekend is over - tomorrow is Monday’ day…. Hard to enjoy like a Friday or a Saturday - but still okay.