Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by hepcat »

I'll grab them at retail. I've still got quite a few from season 2 that I haven't even cracked open yet, even though I enjoy the game quite a bit.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I am tempted to get the retail base set, then borrow a few from hepcat.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you don't like luck based games, then you'll hate it. But if you don't mind a little chaos and the dice gods hating on you, the series is a lot of fun, with quite a bit of variance between the different modules that makes every game play somewhat differently.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I decided to pick the remaining Final Girl scenarios up at retail as well and spread the cost around a bit. Heck, I don't even have Season 2 content yet.

I am likely going to back the Vagrantsong expansion. I really like that game and it's reasonably priced at $65 for 20+ new scenarios. I know I've backed off of Kickstarter quite a bit, but I'm not opposed to backing a sure thing for a game I enjoy.

The Set a Watch folks have announced their next project, which is a roll-and-write set in the same universe. That sounds interesting, and could possibly be another back depending on cost. Being a roll and write, I'm hoping that one will be pretty cheap.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Finally pledged for Rogue Angels. I give the designer Emil props for his effort on the 4x kickstarter, and realized I really don't have any tactical combat games.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Remember how I joked that my wife will kill me if my Uprising and Oathsworn pledges all get to me on the same day? Well... I contacted Bridge because I had not heard anything about my pledges and the nice guy there processed ALL of my pledges at the same time - resulting in... the packages all getting sent out to me on the same day... :shock:

If Voidfall also ships out, then I am in big trouble.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Quick update - I did indeed back the Vagrantsong expansions. Will also probably back that Set a Watch roll-and-write; I checked out the preview and looks like the all-in is only going to be about $30. Sold.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Categorickell showed up this week, and it's my first KS in a long time that feels like it embodies the original spirit of Kickstarter.

It's super late (OK, that's every Kickstarter), so the designer threw in a free copy of one of their earlier games (for me, In a Bind). And they included a personalized, hand-illustrated one-page zine that's part apology, part explanation, and part celebration. At the end of the day, I feel like I helped an indie creator bring an idea to life, instead of just ordering a product.

I haven't played Categorickell yet, since it's a team party game, but I like the rule for determining if an answer is valid: if you can't agree among yourselves, text the designer (their phone number is included).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:41 pm Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid, 2nd Printing - Status: Not there yet Orders To Date: 354
Enemy Coast Ahead: The Doolittle Raid, 2nd Printing - Status: Not there yet Orders To Date: 102
Infernal Machine: Dawn of Submarine Warfare - Status: Not there yet Orders To Date: 491
Skies Above the Reich, 2nd Printing - Status: In Art and Final Development
Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid, 2nd Printing - Status: Not there yet Orders To Date: 395
Enemy Coast Ahead: The Doolittle Raid, 2nd Printing - Status: Not there yet Orders To Date: 163
Infernal Machine: Dawn of Submarine Warfare - Status: Made the Cut Orders To Date: 540
Skies Above the Reich, 2nd Printing - Status: In Art and Final Development
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:21 pm Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid, 2nd Printing - Status: Not there yet Orders To Date: 395
In a few more months, it will have been out of print for 10 years. They really are ridiculous.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All you need to do is place an order for 106 extra copies, then cancel them once they're at the printer.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's crazy enough that it just might work...

In other news, I've been stuck at "label created" with Oathsworn for a few days now, but Fallen Land 2nd Edition will be here later this week. Everything's coming up Millhouse!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fallen Lands 2nd edition is coming? Nice. I didn’t back it, but I think Seppe did for the upgrade kit. We love that game.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:57 pm That's crazy enough that it just might work...

In other news, I've been stuck at "label created" with Oathsworn for a few days now, but Fallen Land 2nd Edition will be here later this week. Everything's coming up Millhouse!
I just received a shipping notice for the upgrade kit and expansion! We’re like board game brothers from another mother!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:59 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:57 pm That's crazy enough that it just might work...

I just received a shipping notice for the upgrade kit and expansion! We’re like board game brothers from another mother!
I haven't even received a shipping notice yet! :(
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Just got my shipping notice about 45 minutes ago!!

:D :D :D

:dance: :dance: :dance:
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I just received it and it's huge :shock: :shock:
taller than 2 of my kids :ninja:
Spoiler:
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I sprung for the Terrain pack for Oathsworn (thinking it would be a little pack of interesting plastic bits). When I opened it up I literally said "Holy Shit!" The terrain is gigantic!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oooh, that's a shot right into my weakness: X-Men + Dice

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

[No, don't do it!]

Are the Dice Throne games any good?

[Dammit, I said no!]

And are they soloable?

[No, goddammit, we haven't got the money to spend, and you know we're not going to be backing it. Plus you've got all of those other games to play]

Shut the hell up, or you're not getting any sleep tonight.

[ :teasing-wedgie: ]

Nevermind.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like them but I have no desire to own more than I already do.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:30 pm I like them but I have no desire to own more than I already do.
I mean...

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kind of makes me want to back it even less. What use are the minis in the dice game? Or is this a new implementation of the game?
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, part of the Marvel co-op (solo!) missions expansion that is being offered as part of this X-Men KS.

Preview play through:

In short, they've refined, updated and improved the Dice Throne Adventure game with a Marvel theme.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm….that does look like a bit more fun than the standard Dice Thrones. If I backed it and didn’t like it, I guess I could just set it on fire too. Perhaps with my trusty new ferro fire star….

….there is something seriously wrong with me.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:26 pm ….there is something seriously wrong with me.
Are you wearing it like a necklace yet?

But on topic, it kinda looks a little bit like Hour of Need, but maybe that's just the theme and basic idea (moving around on a map and doing stuff).
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Funny you ask. I tripped earlier and set fire to my beard. But I was so delighted at how well it worked, I couldn’t be too mad.
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:29 pm But on topic, it kinda looks a little bit like Hour of Need, but maybe that's just the theme and basic idea (moving around on a map and doing stuff).
Interesting. I actually quite like Hour of Need, although I know it isn’t the most well received of the Sadler bros. games.
He won. Period.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Way too much is arriving all at the same time now :shock: .
In the span of 10 days I have received:

Oathsworn
The Witcher: Old World
Dead Reckoning
Tamashii
Too Many Bones: Unbreakable

I'm spending my evenings unboxing stuff instead of actually playing anything :ninja: .
It was bound to happen though with all the KS/GF delays.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The latest from Wehrlegig (Pax Pamir, John Company): Molly House.
In Molly House, players must weigh their desires against their own sense of self-preservation. The rapid growth of London in the late 17th century allowed for greater anonymity, and the increase in population gave access to a wider range of people, allowing queer people to congregate in burgeoning communities. Molly House is a game about how these communities formed and flourished even in the shadow of great persecution. It is an intimate game about the very idea of intimacy.

Molly House is also a game about policing. Here the primary policing actors are not city officials but instead a citizen group, the Society for the Reformation of Manners, which sought to weaponize the legal apparatus of the city in order to destroy a community it perceived as a threat. Critically, this goal could not have been accomplished without the intimidation and eventual compliance of a handful of informers, drawn from the ranks of the house’s patrons.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was fascinated by the theme on that one, as it's really unique. But I was only able to get John Company to the table once, and I doubt it will ever again see anything but solo play. Plus, this one seems more like a role mechanic game, and I'm not a big fan of those. Still, I'd be interested to hear what others think of it once it releases.
He won. Period.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Looks like my Return to Dark Tower Kickstarter is arriving today. More a nostalgic thing than a game that really fits in for me. My fater bought me dark tower the board game back in the 80's, and we spent an entire Christmas playing with my uncles and cousins at our big family gathering. Heck, the adults kicked the kids to the side and played it. Lol..

Not sure my daughters would have the same kind of reaction to a Dark Tower game night, but even sitting on s shelf, I can kind of smile, and remember being a kid... Sigh..
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oathsworn and Earthborne Rangers were both delivered this morning. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What surprised me about those two games is that they're meant to be mixed together to make one huge game. So go ahead and shuffle all those cards together.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:56 pm What surprised me about those two games is that they're meant to be mixed together to make one huge game. So go ahead and shuffle all those cards together.
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Took me quite a few hours to sort Oathsworn and I'm still not entirely sure I did it right...but everything is separated and stuffed back in the box.

I pulled Earthborne Rangers out to sort as well and I'll be honest here - I kinda like the pro-environmental approach they took to the packaging. The card sorter is...not great, but it'll do. The game materials (cards and tokens) all feel nice (they're created from sustainable wood pulp) and whatever they printed the manuals on feels fantastic. I was a bit nervous it was going to be a like a cheap newspaper, but it's actually feeling like better quality than most other mass-produced games I own. I also liked that all the card decks were wrapped in paper, not plastic. So much easier to remove and then just recycle.

Anyway, I think Fliptown Flip and Write is coming later this week (or early next), so it's apparently the busy season for KS projects to be delivered...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The successor to Duel of Ages:

Includes solo play, co-op campaign and access to an STL library if you want miniatures. The only knock is that the co-op/solo set requires an "all in" pledge (you must own set 1 and set 2).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Big day for KS projects I never heard of that are launching, apparently. :)

Inspired by Magic Realm:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Definitely interested in the Duel of Ages follow up!

But I did back the two newest Pax games from Ion Games that launched today on kickstarter.

Pax Illuminaten and Pax Maleficium. The first is about, obviously, the Illuminati. The second is a pax game based around witches and witch hunters. Both are a no brainer for me as I adore the pax franchise (controversial history notes from Eklund aside).

Backing both gets a nice price cut to about 106 bucks. Separately they're like 130 or so.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by Zarathud »

Backed Spirit Fire as a solo experience because I like Orange Nebula (Vindication and Unsettled). They admit the multiplayer is really just simultaneous solo games.

If hepcat likes it, he can spend $100 for a base set for his own character.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

When it rains it pours.

I could barely contain myself while waiting for Oathsworn. Been playing off and on for a little over a week now.

Just got my shipping notice for Scholars of the South Tigris. Not sure when I'll get to it.