Lords of the Fallen (2023)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

rittchard

Lords of the Fallen (2023)

Post by rittchard »

Surprised there seems to be so little buzz about this. The graphics look really good and the gameplay seems (at least from first glance) to be Souls-like or Elden Rings-ish. Also odd it uses the exact same name as an older game, I don’t think it’s exactly a remake but it’s related somehow lol.
Jolor

Re: Lords of the Fallen (2023)

Post by Jolor »

Not too many people excited after the first game (2014) and subsequently cancelled sequel.

To be judged on its own merits, of course. :)
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll check reviews and it give it a thought. I haven't seen much in the way of hype.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It appears on my wishlist. But I have been spoiled by turn-based.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I enjoyed the first game. It was the first non From Software game that successfully mimicked the Dark Souls formula. It was a flawed game but it was still worth a play through at the time.

Ill wait for reviews and the inevitable sale before i get this one though.
FTE
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

someone get this and report back
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My son (a Souls-aficionado) says that he really likes the combat, that it looks great, and he's really happy with it, although it runs slowly on his system (he barely meets the minimums, though.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:26 pm My son (a Souls-aficionado) says that he really likes the combat, that it looks great, and he's really happy with it, although it runs slowly on his system (he barely meets the minimums, though.)
Ask him how he feels about the difficulty. Most of the reviews say this one is unnecessarily hard during the level exploration parts. As in the regular mobs are too abundant and the checkpoints are too spread out.
FTE
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I refunded after an hour. Not for me, there are so many things going on that it was apparent that I would need to be all in on playing this to get the various mechanics to become familiar to me. Just having to sprint using V so I could jump using F because space is for dodge was awkward for me.
Bugged me that I had to watch all the intro graphics all the way through when trying a different character

Maybe when it is on sale I'll try again
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jaddison wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:12 am Just having to sprint using V so I could jump using F because space is for dodge was awkward for me.
(this is a console-targeted title intended for gamepad input, not keyboard)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scraper wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:30 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:26 pm My son (a Souls-aficionado) says that he really likes the combat, that it looks great, and he's really happy with it, although it runs slowly on his system (he barely meets the minimums, though.)
Ask him how he feels about the difficulty. Most of the reviews say this one is unnecessarily hard during the level exploration parts. As in the regular mobs are too abundant and the checkpoints are too spread out.
Quoth he, "Sometimes it just jumps around, I've noticed. Sometimes I'll have an area or a boss be fine, not too hard and not too easy, and then I'll struggle to beat the next boss because it spikes in difficulty, while sometimes some stuff is a pushover, like hard areas with easy bosses."
As in the regular mobs are too abundant and the checkpoints are too spread out.
That he agrees with completely.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Playing on PS5 -
And I quite like what I've seen/played thus far. Played only up until the 1st boss and so far it is exactly what I wanted and thought it would be - souls like which works for me.
Have died plenty already but this is par for the course for me in souls games - lots of rinse and repeat and some anger/frustration.

Getting used to the lamp mechanics is taking me some time to learn and get comfortable with. I like the combat, graphics and level designs thus far.

Issues I experienced:
  • when calibrating the HDR settings the GUI prompted for X to confirm BUT didn't actually display that I was hitting X nor was I able to progress to the next scree. Weird right? I killed the session and started again and all was right
  • A few instances where when I 'targetted' an enemy with the old right stick click that I wasn't able to cycle through more than 2 enemies. This happened when there were 3 or more enemies coming down an alley way toward me. Deal breaker? no - just annoying
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:54 pm
Scraper wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:30 am
Quoth he, "Sometimes it just jumps around, I've noticed. Sometimes I'll have an area or a boss be fine, not too hard and not too easy, and then I'll struggle to beat the next boss because it spikes in difficulty, while sometimes some stuff is a pushover, like hard areas with easy bosses."
As in the regular mobs are too abundant and the checkpoints are too spread out.
That he agrees with completely.
Update us some more after he's about 20 hours in. I do want to play this game, and I love Souls like games, but it may be a wait for a sale type of game for me. Especially after I just finished the excellent Lies of P.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He's at work right now so I can't check, but I'd guess he's at that point by now. He games like I used to.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scraper wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:56 am Update us some more after he's about 20 hours in.
Confirmed that - his comments last night were after about 22 1/2 hours in.

Context for his comments on difficulty: He's a Souls fan, with ~600 hours in DS3, ~500 hours in DS2, and ~250 hours in DS1, and all achievements on each, plus significant time investments in other Souls-like games.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:05 pm
Scraper wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:56 am Update us some more after he's about 20 hours in.
Confirmed that - his comments last night were after about 22 1/2 hours in.

Context for his comments on difficulty: He's a Souls fan, with ~600 hours in DS3, ~500 hours in DS2, and ~250 hours in DS1, and all achievements on each, plus significant time investments in other Souls-like games.
good enough. still interested, but waiting for a sale now.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

FYI this game allegedly received a patch that addressed a lot of the complaints reviewers had with enemy density and agro range. I still haven't tried the game so I'm not sure how much the patch actually changed.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They are treating this like a pre-release with how they are patching over an over. I'm just going to wait until it's to a stable point as it looks like a lot of fun. Lies of P is just not working for me. I loaded it up again over the weekend and was just meh.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Roman

Post by Roman »

I'm having much more luck with Boss encounters in this game than I have w/ the Soulsborne games. Enjoying it immensely.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.