Captain of Industry - a Colony/Factory game hybrid

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Captain of Industry - a Colony/Factory game hybrid

Post by jztemple2 »

In spite of my near constant statements about refusing to buy early access games, I have found myself drawn to pick up yet another one :roll:

This is Captain of Industry. As the title page blurb says,
Land your crew of survivors on an abandoned island and survive! Mine raw materials, grow food, build factories, manufacture products, research new tech, and trade with others. Become an industrial superpower! But this is no easy task, you will be put to the test to keep your settlement alive.
It was released in early access on May 31, 2022 and there has seemed to be a pretty constant series of patches and one major update, with another one planned in Q1 of next year. The Steam reviews are "Very Positive" with a 94% rating and a SteamDB Rating of 90.41%.

There is just a lot of stuff in the game. Check out a GIF of the technology tree.

There is a pretty good tutorial to hold your hand. I'm an hour into the game and am finding it rather interesting. More blurb from the store page:
ABOUT THIS GAME
Your journey will start on an abandoned island with a small crew of loyal workers. In order to survive, you will need to mine raw materials from the earth, grow food, build factories, manufacture products, construct vehicles, research new technologies, explore your surroundings, and trade with other islands. If you do things right, you'll work your way up towards an industrial superpower and you can even start a space program! But this is no easy task and you will be put to the test to keep your settlement alive.
That's a critical point about growing food. You have a population of workers and their families and you need to provide housing and food. And not just some generic "food", there are a number of categories which can be grown or raised.

Enlarge Image

So there's a lot to the game. Graphics are fairly primitive but that's not bothering me. The UI is pretty straightforwards and I've not had any issues, but it is early days yet. So I'll keep playing and post more impressions if folks want them.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
GreenGoo

Re: Captain of Industry - a Colony/Factory game hybrid

Post by GreenGoo »

I do love me some technology tree.

Thanks for the heads up.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is just a short video showing the animation of iron production. The blaster receives iron ore and coal and produces molten iron plus slag and smoke. The molten iron is transferred to an ingot facility to cool.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »