Disney+ Streaming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Disney+ Streaming

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The annual Hulu+ Disney Black Friday deal is back ($1/month for Hulu, $2/month for Disney +)
12 months of Hulu for $1/month, and optional add-on of D+ for $2/month.

The big difference from the previous years is that the D+ add-on, for NEW subscribers of this deal, has ads. The previous years would let you add D+ without ads for the same $2. So the cost is the same as before, but now they are putting ads in your Disney.

https://slickdeals.net/f/17081368-hulu- ... entsHeader

I did this deal last year, and when I went to cancel last week, they offered me the same deal I have now (hulu+ads, D+ w/o ads) for 6 more months, for $1 more than I have been paying the past year. So around $6/month. Very tempted to cancel that deal and go for this new BF option, since it's only $3/month for both. I've never had D+ with ads before, so I have no idea how obnoxious or not they are. Hulu is bad for SOME things, and non-existent/not noticeable for others (Showtime, movies, etc). I think I remember trying to watch What We Do in the Shadows and they were pretty bad.

Simplified:
Hulu (ads) + D+ (ads): $3/month
Hulu (ads) + D+ (no ads): $6/month
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks, I grabbed that deal. My current plan will end on 12/2 so it's just about the right timing!

Side note: You can get the HBO ad supported version for 2.99 a month for 6 months. And if you're a current subscriber, just cancel and one of the "wait, take this offer!" will be for this deal. I just made the switch.
He won. Period.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:54 pm The annual Hulu+ Disney Black Friday deal is back ($1/month for Hulu, $2/month for Disney +)
12 months of Hulu for $1/month, and optional add-on of D+ for $2/month.

The big difference from the previous years is that the D+ add-on, for NEW subscribers of this deal, has ads. The previous years would let you add D+ without ads for the same $2. So the cost is the same as before, but now they are putting ads in your Disney.

https://slickdeals.net/f/17081368-hulu- ... entsHeader

I did this deal last year, and when I went to cancel last week, they offered me the same deal I have now (hulu+ads, D+ w/o ads) for 6 more months, for $1 more than I have been paying the past year. So around $6/month. Very tempted to cancel that deal and go for this new BF option, since it's only $3/month for both. I've never had D+ with ads before, so I have no idea how obnoxious or not they are. Hulu is bad for SOME things, and non-existent/not noticeable for others (Showtime, movies, etc). I think I remember trying to watch What We Do in the Shadows and they were pretty bad.

Simplified:
Hulu (ads) + D+ (ads): $3/month
Hulu (ads) + D+ (no ads): $6/month
Don't particularly want Hulu w/ ads, but would likve D+ (no ads) for $6/month. I was an original sub since D+ came out, but let it go when annual bill came up and they up'd the price and didn't offer me any deals to stick around. Looking for black friday deals for D+.

Unfortunately, all I got with the $1 hulu (ads) was $2 for D+ (ads).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don’t think they have a 6 dollar a month no ad for Disney with the Hulu deal. Just the 2 dollar a month with ads.
He won. Period.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I think you're right. Annoyed they didn't offer me a cancellation deal and do not have any deals for no-ads for Black Friday. Holding out til after next week (can't watch it again before then anyway), see if they get something.

In the meantime, since wife can't stand ads, time to go cancel Hulu.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wonder which they (and other services) prefer - customers who watch ads, or customers who pay more and do not. I'm guessing the prior - they can always start slow until people are used to it, then start increasing the ads little by little (the YouTube strategy.) Most people would never notice that - while they'd notice a $1 increase to the ad-free rate in a heartbeat.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:19 am I wonder which they (and other services) prefer - customers who watch ads, or customers who pay more and do not. I'm guessing the prior - they can always start slow until people are used to it, then start increasing the ads little by little (the YouTube strategy.) Most people would never notice that - while they'd notice a $1 increase to the ad-free rate in a heartbeat.
Even now, all the sites say they make more on people who watch ads and they are trying to entice full price members over to those plans.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I 'cut the cord' 16 years ago , and haven't seen a commercial since. I don't have much desire to return to random interruptions. After this long, I really would find them disruptive.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If we want high quality series and movies, I think it's inevitable that we'll be forced to watch some commercials at some point on all these streaming services. Netflix has even introduced an ad supported tier, which I think was the final nail in the coffin for services without ads. Plus, the savings is rather significant when going with an ad supported tier.

What I'm not a fan of is limiting ad supported viewers to less than 4K. That seems wrong.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, there's no doubt that ads are the way it's going. There are still ways around it, but it's as much of a hassle as the ads.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The reason I cut the cord over a decade ago was the mounting price. That's still the overriding reason for me. I've watched as prices kept going up and up, so I'm actually rather happy to see lower cost options. But as I said, I find it somewhat egregious that they won't give you 4K and other perks of streaming at those levels on some of the services. That seems to be biting the hand that feeds you.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I just cut the cord this year. The main reason was price. I've had a Tivo for decad3s so commercials havent bern an for a long time.
If the pricing ends up getting close to my cost for getting cable again then I'll just cancel everything except Netflix and get a new Tivo and go back to cable. I don't have a sub to any live tv because it was clise to my cable cost so it didn't make sense.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I originally cut the cord for price in 2007 right after my divorce (I literally couldn't afford cable at that point - nor heat), and only added streaming many months later. And it was price that caused me to cut the streaming cord several months ago. I'm no longer subscribed to a single service, save for Prime and Disney+ (neither of which I pay separately for.) If I feel like I'm in a phase where I want to watch a bunch of TV, I'll pick one channel, sub, binge, then cut again.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, it's so much easier to do that than it is to do the cable company switch dance when they jack their prices.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I expect that to change. We're already starting to see consolidations and discounts when purchasing subs in packages. I imagine that they'll eventually creep the price of individual subscriptions up to further encourage taking packages, while slowly phasing out ad-free options as people get used to ads (or making them prohibitively expensive.)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:00 am I don’t think they have a 6 dollar a month no ad for Disney with the Hulu deal. Just the 2 dollar a month with ads.
They do for current customers…many of whom took advantage of the 12 months deal from last Black Friday, so if you cancelled say 3 months ago, and are trying to re-sub, you don’t get the option of D+ w/o ads.

I *think* there is a 30 day ‘Grace’ window but I might be getting confused with the HBO Max deal.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m a current customer and it wasn’t an option for me even on Black Friday. :think:
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You have to ‘act’ like you’re canceling and you will get the offer.

In your account, go to cancel and they will woo you with their offer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I tried that and didn’t get the offer either. I did get an offer from HBO for a sale price when I tried to cancel that sub though.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Maybe check the last couple of pages in that epic thread I posted earlier, for Slickdeals.net.

It may no longer be in play, but seemingly everyone in that thread (including me) was getting the offer after ‘almost’ canceling.

You have the Hulu/D+ combo, right? Not just D+?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup. When I cancelled my account prior to grabbing the 3 dollars a month deal with ads, it just cancelled. It’s like they don’t even want me. :(
He won. Period.