These go to twelve

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Brian

These go to twelve

Post by Brian »

Spinal Tap sequel to start filming in February
Rolling Stone wrote:Paul McCartney, Elton John, and Garth Brooks Will Be In ‘This Is Spinal Tap’ Sequel

Director Rob Reiner revealed that production of the mockumentary sequel begins February
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
McNutt

Re: These go to twelve

Post by McNutt »

I really hope they can capture the magic of the first movie. It's my favorite comedy of all time.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, I'm a little guarded with my optimism as well.

This is Spinal Tap is such an original gem and a singular work of genius, I worry about taking another bite at that apple.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well they certainly have plenty of current references they can parody as a bunch of old timers returning to touring (presumably) to cash in on nostalgia. Very meta.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

https://themessenger.com/entertainment/ ... es-tickets
AARP Members Get Early Access to Rolling Stones Tickets
The Rolling Stones' upcoming 'Hackney Diamonds' tour kicks off in 2024 and AARP members get an early chance to buy tickets
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think they should name it This Is Spinal Tap Also...just to be different.

And I still keep getting the actor mixed up with the one who played Lenny and died.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lenny was played by Michael McKean, who is alive and plays David St. Hubbins in Spinal Tap.

Squiggy was played by David Lander, and he died in 2020.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:29 pm I think they should name it This Is Spinal Tap Also...just to be different.
I'd go with This Too is Spinal Tap. Or maybe Et Tu, Spinal Tap?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Spinal Tap Redux: The Tappening
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Wait. This is spinal tap is a comedy?
I always thought it was a straight documentary about a rock group.
Was there even a group called spinal tap?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That Was Spinal Tap

This Isn't Spinal Tap
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Punisher wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:18 pm Wait. This is spinal tap is a comedy?
I always thought it was a straight documentary about a rock group.
Was there even a group called spinal tap?
It is full on parody. The group only exists on film.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if he'll get his full Stonehenge in this one.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:51 pm It is full on parody. The group only exists on film.
And yet...here they are with every bass player in the known universe

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

lol
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've only seen the original once, clear back in high school. Honestly: I didn't get it.

Maybe it's because I've never been interested in, or followed, music as a culture. I listen to music, but I don't pay attention to artist personalities, band drama, or the music industry. So maybe I just wasn't familiar enough with what the culture they were lampooning. Whatever the cause, I just found it tedious and unfunny.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

The Tap Brothers
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:29 pm I've only seen the original once, clear back in high school. Honestly: I didn't get it.

Maybe it's because I've never been interested in, or followed, music as a culture. I listen to music, but I don't pay attention to artist personalities, band drama, or the music industry. So maybe I just wasn't familiar enough with what the culture they were lampooning. Whatever the cause, I just found it tedious and unfunny.
I tried some Christopher Guest mockumentaries in my late teens and I just didn't get them. I'm not really tempted to go back and try again. But I did give Spinal Tap a try a couple years ago and I'm glad I did. Understanding more about the music culture of the time than I did back then definitely helps, but I also just had little appreciation for deadpan humour back then.

Honestly I don't remember a lot about the film, I might have watched it while stoned. But this scene always cracks me up and I frequently go back to the Youtube clip. "I've been working with this now for about half an hour..." and "Why would you keep folding it??" :lol: Some people think Guest breaks character at 1:04.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Ate you guys sure it's a parady? I csn easily see that happening...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I saw This is Spinal Tap when I was in high school. I also didn't think it was great, only somewhat amusing. However, for the next few days after seeing it I kept chuckling at some of the scenes as I remembered them and began to realize the genius of the movie. I don't think I've ever had a comedy sneak up on me like that.

Honestly, is there a more quotable movie?

"That's just nitpicking, isn't it."
"None more black."
"D minor, which I find is really the saddest of all keys."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Numerous bands have commented they thought they were being made fun of with specific scenes or interactions. Yes, knowing the "culture' helps, but the three of them are beyond absurd with their thoughts and demands. I am indeed looking forward to more insanity. :)
JCC

Post by JCC »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:51 pm It is full on parody. The group only exists on film.
The existed before and after the film. They have reunited numerous times for other show biz things, concerts, etc.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Before? Can you back that up? I was watching an interview with Rob Reiner. He made it pretty clear that the band was created for the movie. At least that was my take. All the members could play and had been in bands at some time in the past (or present), but not together. https://youtu.be/Htulh78Q-MA?t=468 is queued up to the point in the interview.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

TheMix wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:32 pm Before? Can you back that up? I was watching an interview with Rob Reiner. He made it pretty clear that the band was created for the movie. At least that was my take. All the members could play and had been in bands at some time in the past (or present), but not together. https://youtu.be/Htulh78Q-MA?t=468 is queued up to the point in the interview.
Spinal Tap (band)
Spinal Tap (stylized as Spın̈al Tap, with a dotless letter i and a metal umlaut over the n) are a fictional English heavy metal band created by the American comedians and musicians of The T.V. Show who wrote and performed original songs as the band: Michael McKean, as the lead singer and guitarist David St. Hubbins; Christopher Guest, as the guitarist Nigel Tufnel; and Harry Shearer, as the bassist Derek Smalls. They are characterized as "one of England's loudest bands".

Spinal Tap first appeared on the 1979 ABC television sketch comedy pilot The T.V. Show, starring Rob Reiner. The sketch, actually a mock promotional video for the song "Rock and Roll Nightmare", was written by Reiner and the band, and included the songwriter-performer Loudon Wainwright III on keyboards. The band starred in the 1984 mockumentary film This Is Spinal Tap, which was accompanied by a soundtrack album.

In the years following the film's release, the actors have portrayed the band members at concerts and released music under the Spinal Tap name. Guest, McKean and Shearer toured in the United States in April and May 2009 and performed as Spinal Tap in a "One Night Only World Tour" on June 30, 2009, at Wembley Arena in London, three days after playing the Glastonbury Festival.

The trio also portray the fictional American folk music revival band the Folksmen; some Spinal Tap concert appearances have featured Guest, McKean and Shearer opening for Spinal Tap as the Folksmen.
The T.V. Show seems pretty obscure. It appears to have been the pilot for a sketch comedy show that was never picked up.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Interesting. So they tried and it didn't take off, and then tried again 5 years later, successfully.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Montag

Post by Montag »

This is so apropos with all the geezer bands today. I hope they lean heavily into this.
words
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Montag wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:17 pm This is so apropos with all the geezer bands today. I hope they lean heavily into this.
Rolling Stones tickets went on sale today here in Chicago. I'm not sure my son (10) knows anything about the Stones, but he said he'd like to see them. It would probably be a feather in his cap down the road, but damn, it's going to be an expensive feather. I've never been a huge Stones fan in the past (or The Beatles for that matter) but listening to WXRT many hours per day over the last 18 months has improved my disposition on both accounts. And the song off their new album with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder is pretty damned awesome -- I'd rate it as among the best I ever heard from them.

After Spinal Tap, there was an actual tour by the band and they did at least 2 albums (Break Like the Wind and Back from the Dead). I actually enjoyed their music! My biggest disappointment is not hearing more of Rob Reiner in the years since (please don't tell me about a slate of romcoms he did).
Black Lives Matter