Any DMs/GMs/etc here?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Punisher

Any DMs/GMs/etc here?

Post by Punisher »

I think I posyed about wanting to try to play some multoplayer games with people here and I still do. Just need to find a few that I can pkay comfortably.

Additionally I wonder if we could get an online RPG group going or something.

I'm primarily interested in the following.
1. Walking Dead. This was just released.

2. Star Wars.

3. Star Trek

4. Stargate

5. I cant remember the name but it was a zombie themed game where you are supposed to make your IRL self yoyr game character. I think it would also part of a series that also had other post apocalypse themes such as an aluen invasion and such.
This woukd actually be my number one because it should be easier on me to play myself. No beed to worry about lore, what I know vs what my character kniws, what I can do vs what my character can do, etc... I might make a concesion and base ot on my begore times person though.

6. D&D/Pathfinder/etc..

Open to other things but not interested in something thats super lore heavy like thecwarhammer rpg and such.

I mostly have availability mon-fri 9am tob5pm est whoch is probably a huge issue though.
I'm sure my wife isn't going to want me to play something where im making a lot of noise when she gets home.
Some weekends might be doable with advanced notice if we don't have plans.

Figured id chevk here first hegore diving into the wikds of tge interwebs.
If I do have to go that route, any recommendations for platforms? Trying not to spend a ton of ipfront money or an expensive subscription if I can.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Re: Any DMs/GMs/etc here?

Post by Blackhawk »

I've just started playing with a few other OOers (although we're already underway, and it's way, way past your time range.) I've considered starting something else one of these days, but I'm still not sure about it. I have only GMed online a couple of times, and didn't really like it. Most of my skills/tools developed over the past 34 years don't work when I'm not face-to-face. Still, I'm considering the possibility.
Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:28 am If I do have to go that route, any recommendations for platforms? Trying not to spend a ton of ipfront money or an expensive subscription if I can.
The big three are Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and Foundry. My barely-informed opinion:

All three are comparable in capabilities.

~Roll20 is the most polished of the three.
~Foundry is a bit more powerful than the others, but it's a lot more work to use (for the GM - it's still just as easy for the players.)

None of them generally require that the players pay anything at all. The GM has to have a paid copy and/or subscription, depending, but the players are generally free (they'd never grow the hobby if they made very prospective player drop cash before they could play.) They do also require that you have the content (rules system.) For R20 and Foundry, this is purchased separately, book by book, and is usually about the same price as the physical books. Foundry handles it a little like Tabletop Simulator - players release the content as mods for the game, so that you don't actually have to drop cash. Between the free content and no-subscription model, Foundry is the cheapest (at least as the GM - again, the players don't have to worry about it.)

FWIW, most of the VTTs offer the players purchases of things like extra dice sets.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just out of curiously what ate you playing and when?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:28 pm Just out of curiously what ate you playing and when?
I'm not GMing, so I can't invite (and I'm pretty sure we're at max part size - at least we're as large as I was ever willing to go in my games.) We're doing 5e on Fantasy Grounds. It's only been one session so far, but we start at around 9-10 PM EST.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:28 pm Just out of curiously what ate you playing and when?
Heya Punisher. I'm DM'ing for the OO group. As Blackhawk said, we've had just one session.

I purposely billed this as a short adventure so I'm not sure how many sessions we'll have. If it works out and folks want to continue we will see at that point.

There are 5 players in the group right now so we are full up, however, if you wish you are welcome to join our discord server and listen in during the session. I or one of the players that would be willing can stream the session.

You would be able to see how the VTT platform (Fantasy Grounds Unity in this case) works.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Thanks for the info.
Mostly just curious.
It would be too late for me to play unless I played a mute. I'd be too worried about waking my wife up with me talking.
Might take you up on the offer to just listen in one day.