xbox controller and windows 10

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: xbox controller and windows 10

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:25 pm I'm determined to avoid cleaning these things, I guess. :D
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:27 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:32 pm Honestly, it may just be time to upgrade. As a former wired 360 controller addict, I still highly recommend the XBox One wireless controller for PC.
yep.
FWIW, I'd still suggest fully disassembling and thoroughly cleaning the internals of your Xbox 360 controller prior to purchasing a replacement. Because doing so is a remarkably simple and easy process, and you really don't have anything to lose at this point.

It sounds as if you've pretty much exhausted your options for software-side troubleshooting, so if a thorough cleansing fails to solve your problems, replacement is clearly the only logical alternative. However, if you are able to save yourself from spending $60 or so for a brand new Xbox Core Wireless Gaming Controller, with minimal time and effort by cleaning and refurbishing your existing controller? This seems at least worth a shot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:51 pm
FWIW, I'd still suggest fully disassembling and thoroughly cleaning the internals of your Xbox 360 controller prior to purchasing a replacement. Because doing so is a remarkably simple and easy process, and you really don't have anything to lose at this point.
Agreed.
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:51 pm It sounds as if you've pretty much exhausted your options for software-side troubleshooting, so if a thorough cleansing fails to solve your problems, replacement is clearly the only logical alternative. However, if you are able to save yourself from spending $60 or so for a brand new Xbox Core Wireless Gaming Controller, with minimal time and effort by cleaning and refurbishing your existing controller? This seems at least worth a shot.
I have one last (the very last, before cleaning) idea that I'm experimenting with. Initial tests have been positive, but I've been fooled before. I wasn't going to say anything until I felt it worked/didn't work conclusively. I'll be back in a couple of days to keep the thread informed.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I think I have this figured out. I've had many game sessions where the problem didn't show up, but none of them were longer sessions where the problem was more likely to show up. Anyway.

I run Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms, an idle game, through steam. I also run a mobile version through BlueStacks, a mobile emulator, because the interface is tiny on my phone and hard to use.

So I have two versions of this game running. 1 through steam, 1 through BlueStacks. It looks like one (or both) are detecting the gamepad being plugged in a messing things up. My money is on blueStacks, since I've turned off literally everything I could find related to gamepads in Steam.

So that's it. If I don't run BlueStacks, I don't see this problem. Being an idle game, I have it running 24/7 in the background, and being an emulation of a phone, I didn't think it had any gamepad functionality. But it does. So I just don't have it running while I play anything with a gamepad on my PC.

Ta da... :roll:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Most phones have gamepad functionality, so BlueStacks (which I also use for Android emulation now and then) probably adapted that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:30 pm Most phones have gamepad functionality, so BlueStacks (which I also use for Android emulation now and then) probably adapted that.
Apparently.